I don't know what to do - Page 4 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#91 of 93 Old 10-30-2009, 10:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by amberskyfire View Post
The way it works is that we pay until it's paid off. The number of years doesn't matter. Legally, they can only take up to 50% max, so that was how they determined how many years it would take to pay off.

Also, because we are married, they take MY money, too. They don't garnish my wages, they take all my tax returns and my stimulus checks. I do already work. I just can't make enough to support us alone. We are doing all that is possible in the world job-wise. Him not paying it would just mean it would take longer. We want this over with as soon as possible.
I haven't read ahead...but what about filing out the 'innocent spouse' form? My ex did that one year when I owed student loans and we really needed the tax return to pay other bills.

http://www.irs.gov/individuals/conte...130302,00.html

shamrocksmile.gifAmber SAHM Fiber Artist Mom to:knit.gif
Maddison (9): Arwen (8): Finn (4): Aedan (2)

stork-suprise.gif Sept 2012

#92 of 93 Old 10-30-2009, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlemango View Post
I think she means that the "right to choose" is only granted to the mother, not the father. A mother can decide to opt out of the financial and emotional burdens of childrearing, but a man cannot.

OP, does your dh have any relationship with his daughter? Can he terminate his parental rights? I thought you did not have to pay child support if you voluntarily signed away your parental rights, like in an adoption scenario.

I would also look into divorce, on paper only, if that's what it takes. Sad situation. Sorry you're there.
Generally, a father can not sign away his rights unless there is a second parent willing to take them over. You can fight to have the rights removed, if the parent in question is abusive, or has had no relationship with the child. BUT terminating parental rights doesn't always mean a termination of financial obligation.

shamrocksmile.gifAmber SAHM Fiber Artist Mom to:knit.gif
Maddison (9): Arwen (8): Finn (4): Aedan (2)

stork-suprise.gif Sept 2012

#93 of 93 Old 10-30-2009, 10:26 PM

Chaper 7 if you can qualify-for sure. We filed several years ago-our credit was better and 2 years after we bought a house. It sounds scary and is embarassing-but it puts and end to the debt and gives you a chance to start over.

mother, wife, sister, friend--step mom to one grown man and mommy to 3 boys-ages 19, 10 and 4

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page