Anyone watch Till Debt Do Us Part/Gail Vaz-Oxlade? And Dave Ramsey stuff again... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 28 Old 10-26-2009, 09:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yes, it's a Canadian show, folks. On Slice Network. Don't know if anyone of you can catch it in the US, maybe in some of the Northern/NorthEast coast States? I love it, she is so straightforward/kick you in the ass yet encouraging at the same time.

What do you all think of her budgeting style? Basically envelope style in a way (she uses actual real jars for people in 5-6 main categories after taking them through a budget calculator with recommended percentages of income for housing, transport, debt, saving and Life/everything else expenses..if percentages are drastically different, you can cut in other areas or increase income, for example if you live in a high cost housing area and it's more than 35%....ours is about 40%) We have basically have tried/done the same thing, combined with using a BudgetMap check ledger http://www.budgetmap.com. I do things a bit differently than her, for example in the transport category I keep cash for gas in an envelope, but transfer money for minor maitenance/oil changes into a column in savings that I have in my BudgetMap ledger. Really big disasters like a sudden 1000.00 of work would be emerg fund right now. Same thing with some of the life expenses such as clothes....into a column, as we tend to clothes shop only at season changes here.

Some things to note in her categories that I gleaned from the site...home maitenance in the housing category is recommended if you can as 3-5% per month of the VALUE of your home from a tax assessment (not mortgage necessarily) for appliance replacement, paint, etc. Of course if you rent, it would be different. For me, I like having that category, as I found not having it was eating up my extra $$ or sometimes it went on groceries, like light bulbs. She says to try to aim for minimum 15% of your income for debt repay, preferably more though, in order to pay off your debt in 3 years, to avoid "debt fatigue". Personally, we have chosen 5 years, which we feel is more manageable for us and we can increase our income by taking some extra work but still have a balance with our strong desire to still homeschool. I built my budget with this 5 years in mind using the absolute minimum I know I would make in my part time job and no extra income, with any extra shifts for me or hubby going to the debt. So, depending on interest rates (our only non mortgage debt is a line of credit, we actually have 2 old vehicles and visa and school expenses on it) it may be a bit less than 5 years.

One thing she does differ on from Dave Ramsey is she advocates putting at least something to retirement and emergency fund while still trying to pay debt. Her take is it is an overall way of avoiding going back into cc debt for emergencies. The saving category is the RRSP's, and emerg fund is a separate saving. I have chosen 10% overall, and split it between emerg fund and RRSP. BTW, the RRSP (registered retirement savings plan) she speaks of is like the US's 401k, except here in Canada we tend to have piddly little employer Canada Savings Bonds programs, not RRSP matches like your 401k matches. The emergency fund is the 3-6 mo worth of income thing, although we have used ours for a major appliance breakdown once to avoid a cc transaction. I do have somewhat more than the 1000.00 that Dave advocates, maybe about 1 1/2 mo of our expenses saved, and that is actually including "frivolus" categories too. Goal is 3 mo at least. I cannot get over the nagging fear that we are living too much on the edge by not making these contributions.

I dunno, I feel excited about this budget. As much as I want to go "gazelle" at my debt, I think I have other things to look at here in my life. We have an old house that is a disaster waiting to happen (and of course we would lose money if we sold, so we are stuck here). Dh has a chronic autoimmune type illness currently in remission, but it has DRASTICALLY affected his ability to work in the past. I have had injuries this past year and been unable to work as well. We are basically entering our 40's, we have a pretty good start on retirement so far compared to some, but I want to take the advantage of the magic of compounding and keep contributing, at our ages I am uncomfortable with delaying contributions, even the 50.00 per month I was managing before I got totally overwhelmed with debt would help. It's not like I am in my early-mid 20's and delaying contributing and have that wiggle room, ya know?

Here are the links to a budgeting basics article from her site, as well as the link to her interactive budget that calculates for you---link to the budget worksheet is in the article.

http://www.gailvazoxlade.com/articles_f/article31-2.htm

If you click on the pic of the house at the top right hand corner you can go to the rest of her website, as well as Q and A's, and her blog and link to the show.

I would love to know everyone's thoughts. I am excited about it as it gives me a plan but at the same time deals a bit with my "what if" fears like if dh cannot work again for a while, and that makes me feel better too.

Tina, RN, wife-y to J, mom to dd (10) and ds (7)
"Beware the lollipop of mediocracy...one lick and you suck forever!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 28 Old 10-26-2009, 09:54 PM

I watch her and I think that she is great. She has been picked up by a US network so soon she will be playing in the US. I also follow her blog:

Blog

I don't follow her specifically but like her approach to debt management, continue with savings and retirement while paying down debt and her jars. I PVR her everyday and when she gives them the "awakening" screen I pause it so I can get a good look at their finances and she how her debt strategy and amounts work out.

I like Dave Ramsey's baby steps because they are straight forward and easy to follow, but sometimes find him a bit obnoxious .
#3 of 28 Old 10-26-2009, 10:54 PM

I watch her every Friday night and it drives DH crazy. Here's how the conversation goes:

Me: "I love this show!"
DH: "I bet the first thing she'll do is...wait for it...tell them they spend too much!"
Me: "Well did you see how much they were overspending?"
DH: "Oh, here we go..she's going to tell them they're going to be living on cash."
Me: "Yeah, we should totally try that!"
DH: "I wonder what she's going to do next...I bet she's going to...pull out the jars!"

etc, etc.

I love her show DH thinks if you've seen one episode, you've seen them all. Which is kind of true, but I do find it really motivating.

I just cannot live with the jars or envelopes though. It's way too cumbersome. We have a pretty strict budget but use the cc for everything, paying it off every two weeks. With two of us getting gas, buying groceries, etc, it's inevitable that someone will forget to take money from home. So while I do definitely advocate budgeting for each category, I just can't make her system work for us.

Still love watching her though!

I'm Megan , married to Steve, mama to Rowan (11/07) and thrilled to be 03/10!
#4 of 28 Old 10-26-2009, 11:22 PM

Love the show! Thanks for posting a link to her blog, I never thought of looking for it!

Blogging about renovations in our first home
#5 of 28 Old 10-26-2009, 11:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowansmama View Post
I just cannot live with the jars or envelopes though. It's way too cumbersome. We have a pretty strict budget but use the cc for everything, paying it off every two weeks. With two of us getting gas, buying groceries, etc, it's inevitable that someone will forget to take money from home. So while I do definitely advocate budgeting for each category, I just can't make her system work for us.

Still love watching her though!
That's why I use the BudgetMap, and if I am going to the store all I have to do is look at my category in the ledger and see if for my bank balance on any given day I have enough money. I like I said don't keep certain things in jars...it would never work for me to have a lump sum of "everything else" and know how much for clothes. I do have cash for "family entertainment", personal spending money for me and dh and kids, gas, and groceries though.

The key to the BudgetMap book though, is keeping updated everytime you buy something!

#6 of 28 Old 10-27-2009, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Some things to note in her categories that I gleaned from the site...home maitenance in the housing category is recommended if you can as 3-5% per month of the VALUE of your home from a tax assessment (not mortgage necessarily) for appliance replacement, paint, etc.
I've heard similar things before, but I believe the advice is that you should plan to save/spend/budget for 3-5% of you're home's value each YEAR on maintenance.

On a home worth 100K, 3-5% would be $3000-5000. That would break down to $250-417 per month.

On a home worth 200K, 3-5% would be $6000-10000/year. That would break down to $500-833 per month. My house is worth more than this, and this number seems a bit high to me, if it's JUST for maintenance.

New signature, same old me: Ann- mama of 2 boys and 2 girls, partnered to a fabulous man.
I'm an unintentional weasel feeder and I suck at proofreading.
#7 of 28 Old 10-27-2009, 12:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by annethcz View Post
I've heard similar things before, but I believe the advice is that you should plan to save/spend/budget for 3-5% of you're home's value each YEAR on maintenance.

On a home worth 100K, 3-5% would be $3000-5000. That would break down to $250-417 per month.

On a home worth 200K, 3-5% would be $6000-10000/year. That would break down to $500-833 per month. My house is worth more than this, and this number seems a bit high to me, if it's JUST for maintenance.
I know, I thought the same thing so I carved mine down to 2%, and that was the value of my home. This is not supposed to be what you have on your mortgage, but the assessed value on your tax form. I have a 136,000 mortgage but the tax office says my home is only 75,000 and the land is worth more. (it is a wreck!). I think it is so high as this money is supposed to be used for anything and everything related to home stuff...to eventually replace the washer or repair it, do windows or the roof (although you would have to save quite a while) buy paint and home improvement supplies, I also plan to use it for "household goods" like toilet paper, cleaners, and stuff to get that out of my already restricted grocery budget so I can place every precious penny on food. I am already planning to save to replace my rusted out well/sewer pump and for re drywalling (mold in the basement)! Windows are my last priority LOL!

And older homes like mine need even more money thrown into them...I think if I remember reading on her site she advocates the higher 5% on older homes...! Due to my debts I think 2% is all I can manage.

Gotta get the kiddos to bed. If I can find time later I will post a link.

#8 of 28 Old 10-27-2009, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuckgal View Post
I know, I thought the same thing so I carved mine down to 2%, and that was the value of my home. This is not supposed to be what you have on your mortgage, but the assessed value on your tax form. I have a 136,000 mortgage but the tax office says my home is only 75,000 and the land is worth more.
Well ! Thank you for stating that, it totally makes sense now. I couldn't figure out why on earth I would put so much money aside per month. The value of the HOUSE! Thank you!

Love that show too, btw and her site/blog are great.

Me treehugger.gif+ Him eat.gif + DD flower.gif + DSS1 guitar.gif + DSS2 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif

#9 of 28 Old 10-27-2009, 01:23 AM

I miss that show!!! We had it when we lived with my parents and they had the American Life Network on cable (they had a bazillion channels ). We are looking at our budget and doing a mix of her and DR suggestions. I'll be excited if she shows up back on tv in the US, as pp said. DH will NOT watch DR (he likes the advice, can't stand the guy), but even he would watch Till Debt Do Us Part with me faithfully.

When we get into a slump of overspending and chastise each other about it, we just look at the other and say "miscellaneous consumption" in a Canadian accent. Usually when we're at the store shopping and one of us is picking up something useless. It makes us laugh, and generally gets the offender to put away the useless item!

Deni. I'm the liberal, Jesus-loving, hippie freak your mama warned you about. Expecting a cinco surprise, spring 2014!
#10 of 28 Old 10-27-2009, 10:58 AM

You can watch a ton of episodes online at slice.ca.
#11 of 28 Old 10-27-2009, 11:44 AM

I tried to watch the shows online at slice.ca. and it said I can't in my country. I guess it's a Canada thing only!

Wife to DH (8/9/02), Mom to DD(8/24/04) and DS(7/20/08)
#12 of 28 Old 10-27-2009, 12:23 PM
mtm

I really like her no nonsense approach to finances. I like her blog better than the show. She gets great reader comments to her blog posts, some interesting discussions too. I also like the Allison Griffiths show on W, can't think of the name.

I do think taking a year or two and paying off your cc debts is better than trying to do retirement savings and pay off your cc debts over a longer period. I think you can only stay "gazelle" for so long.

edited to add, Maxed Out is the other good show.
#13 of 28 Old 10-27-2009, 12:33 PM

yes! I used to watch her show when I lived in Aiken, SC. It was on the cable lineup. I loved the show. Too bad I can't get it where I am now(we have DirectTV now). Great show. Learned a lot from the show.

SAHM to a set of beautiful twins :, one beautiful angel baby (baby c), and one crazy furbaby :
#14 of 28 Old 10-27-2009, 12:40 PM

Yeah I love that show! I find it really interesting when she comes across couples who are obviously not going to follow her advice. There was one older couple who were spending tons on their granddaughter and although the grandfather was still working, the grandmother was spending their retirement savings on the granddaughter.

Basically it came down to Val telling the woman that its causing the Hubby lots of worry and grief because of her spending habits and the woman just said that she didn't care! Needless to say they only got one thousand dollars for their efforts instead of the full five thousand. The woman was pretty nasty in the show too. Wow...

Mama to Emma (7) and Sarah (5)

#15 of 28 Old 10-27-2009, 06:34 PM

I like that show, I watched another episode this afternoon after seeing this thread. I didn't know about the blog and watching on Slice online (I'm often at work, so this is great). I love the accent that comes through sometimes when she talks, it's so cute.
#16 of 28 Old 10-27-2009, 07:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtm View Post
I really like her no nonsense approach to finances. I like her blog better than the show. She gets great reader comments to her blog posts, some interesting discussions too. I also like the Allison Griffiths show on W, can't think of the name.

I do think taking a year or two and paying off your cc debts is better than trying to do retirement savings and pay off your cc debts over a longer period. I think you can only stay "gazelle" for so long.

edited to add, Maxed Out is the other good show.
Lets just say that even if I was working full time hours, it would take more than an year (tor even 2-3 I think) to pay off the debts we have. As my husband is in his early 40's and I am just shy of, I don't think I have time to not contribute a little something to retirement.

#17 of 28 Old 10-28-2009, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtm View Post
She gets great reader comments to her blog posts, some interesting discussions too.

I forgot to add that people should read the comments because they are very, very helpful!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellp View Post
Yeah I love that show! I find it really interesting when she comes across couples who are obviously not going to follow her advice. There was one older couple who were spending tons on their granddaughter and although the grandfather was still working, the grandmother was spending their retirement savings on the granddaughter.

Basically it came down to Val telling the woman that its causing the Hubby lots of worry and grief because of her spending habits and the woman just said that she didn't care! Needless to say they only got one thousand dollars for their efforts instead of the full five thousand. The woman was pretty nasty in the show too. Wow...

We ran into the three of them at Ontario Place last summer. I was staring at them because I thought that I knew them in real life and was trying to figure out from where. She gave a dirty look since she probably thought that we were judging her from the show but it hadn't even clicked till we walked away. It's funny when your online/tv/real world collide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuckgal View Post
Lets just say that even if I was working full time hours, it would take more than an year (tor even 2-3 I think) to pay off the debts we have. As my husband is in his early 40's and I am just shy of, I don't think I have time to not contribute a little something to retirement.
That is why I think that it is necessary, if possible, to continue contributing while you are young and healthy. Life can throw some curveballs and compound interest over time can really make a diffference. I know that she aims for 24 months to pay of debt and won't go much higher than 3 years. She will advocate increasing income and other means if it is going to take a really long time.
#18 of 28 Old 06-11-2011, 07:51 AM

LOVE HER SHOW!!  The no nonsense approach really makes you think about your spending.  Having said that, i've watched for a few years but only now am i going to look at doing the budget for ourselves.  We are in good shape financially but i know we have a line of credit that is bothering me.  No need for it to be that high.   And we have so many upgrades we want to do to our home and major saving is the only way we will get there.  Does anyone actually use her budget work sheet?  It looks overwhelming at first!  And i'm not sure if we will be able to follow the money jars.  We've been living off debt cards forever, i  never carry cash!!

I'm going to follow her blogs and website from now on!

Me (35) + DH (35) + DS (06/12) + ? (08/14)
#19 of 28 Old 06-13-2011, 06:18 PM

sorry to butt in, but i feel the need to let you know that her accent isn't canadian, exactly. she's british, but has lived in canada for a long time, so it's not strongly british, but is also not especially canadian.shy.gif

#20 of 28 Old 06-13-2011, 06:34 PM

She's not British, she's from Jamaica.

#21 of 28 Old 06-13-2011, 08:42 PM

i had no idea. so much for my expertise. ;)

#22 of 28 Old 06-14-2011, 02:23 PM

You weren't the only one thinking she was British! Though now that you mention it, Jamaican sounds about right. 

#23 of 28 Old 06-15-2011, 09:45 AM

Why is it that newbies are  always bringing up really old threads?  Gah... I have a love/hate relationship with this place any more.

For those of you who are new here... you might want to check out the dates on the threads.

#24 of 28 Old 06-15-2011, 11:20 AM

What's the problem with bringing up old threads? Just curious...redface.gif

DS 7 ~ DS 3

#25 of 28 Old 06-15-2011, 01:25 PM

Goodness, is this thread that old? I feel like it was just posted yesterday! 

At least this is a general topic and not specific to one person's issues where you write up a long, thoughtful response only to find the top has been dealt with. 

#26 of 28 Old 06-15-2011, 01:43 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I think the term is necroposting.... but as this is a general topic... I'll chime in to say, I love this show! they just started showing it  here on cnn money.

Texmati-- Knitter, Hindu, vegetarian, WOHM. Wife to superdadsuperhero.gif and mom to DS babyf.gif24 months, and DD boc.gif 8 months! .

#27 of 28 Old 06-15-2011, 05:51 PM

Why would i start a thread when there is one exactly about the topic i want to chime in on?  I'm on the other side, why create a bunch of new topics when there is an "old" one that has the info i want to read.  I search the topic, and if there is a thread with valuable info that i want to reply to, i do. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by velochic View Post

Why is it that newbies are  always bringing up really old threads?  Gah... I have a love/hate relationship with this place any more.

For those of you who are new here... you might want to check out the dates on the threads.

Me (35) + DH (35) + DS (06/12) + ? (08/14)
#28 of 28 Old 06-17-2011, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by velochic View Post

What's the problem with old threads?  This topic is still relevant and the information given is current. The show is still on the air. It is helpful for others.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page