Spinoff: Keeping Warm in Cool Homes - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

#31 of 35 Old 11-02-2009, 02:29 AM
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Originally Posted by myfatherslily View Post

Are wool socks something I might be able to find at a physical store? What types of stores would carry them? Or would it be easier to just order online? Where can I find the best prices?
Do you have a Costco membership? We found women's wool socks for 3 pairs/$15. (So, $5 each.) In fact, I should go back and buy more!

Also Sierra Trading Post (online) is a good place to find wool socks for cheap-ish.

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
Sponsored Links
#32 of 35 Old 11-02-2009, 10:48 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Sarah W View Post
Someone mentioned waterproof mattresses pads in the other thread. OMG do these things work! We bought one because our dog would have accidents in her sleep. It made the bed so much hotter at night it was shocking!
That was me!

I replaced it with a cotton one yesterday and bumped the heat down 1 degree and slept SO much better. I was way too hot with that thing on.

Another thing that helps (and is really comfy) is a feather bed. Feather bed then down blanket then down comforter = toasty warm. That's the set up on our master and it is awesome.
#33 of 35 Old 11-02-2009, 03:48 PM
My big thing is socks - either SmartWool (which we found on sale last year on Black Friday at Scheels - seems like we find them most often as sporting goods stores) or at least 3 pair of regular socks. I always have blankets laying around my living room/family room so anytime I sit down I throw a blanket on.

I have a lot of layers on my bed to help retain body heat. I also tend to wear long sleeved thermal shirts under everything that isn't already very warm.

WOHM: Married 2002. partners.gif Dog parents 2005. dog2.gif DS arrived 3/3/10. Newbie expected late June 2013. slingboy.gifbfinfant.gifcd.gif

#34 of 35 Old 11-02-2009, 05:13 PM
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Like others, I'm loving our wool blankets. One for every bed (dh and I; dd; and baby). I participated in a co-op last year sometime because we were moving to our new house where we'd be paying for gas heat. We had radiator heat which was included in our assessment in our condo. Pricey, yes; worth it - absolutely.

I also knit and the baby wore his booties to bed last night! He also has a lambskin in his crib (first purchase with a baby shower gift card) and wool longies and a wool sleep sack as an alternative.

My 4 year old won't keep anything on her except her pj's, but manages to stay asleep through the chill of the night.

My long johns, fleece and fingerless mitts have been my friends, too!

Mama to a dd 10/05; ds 3/09, dd 2/15 and two angels. Expecting another miracle 7/16!
#35 of 35 Old 11-03-2009, 05:01 PM
For showering in a cold house, I stand with my head under the hot water for a minute at the end of my shower, until I feel a little overheated. That gives me enough time to hop out of the shower, dry off and throw my clothes on before I cool down too much.

For the kiddies at bathtime, usually the warm water heats up the bathroom quite a bit, but if it is still chilly, they could wear clean caps in the bath. My boys do run pretty warm, though, and have never had a problem catching a chill while bathing.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page