Getting Out of Debt in November - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 143 Old 11-03-2009, 08:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
yikes lalaland42, that is really confusing!! makes our money problems simple by comparison, lol. Good for you for being able to wrap your head around all that.
#62 of 143 Old 11-03-2009, 08:57 PM
Banned

Oh, yeah, you can definitely rent cars with a debit card in the US. Priceline specifically has a checkbox that says you only have a debit card so they go with a compatible rental car company. The only time that I think a cc is more useful is if you don't have car insurance or your car insurance doesn't cover the rental car then some cc's do cover the rental car with insurance.

And rofl about me getting my head around this. I've been sitting here for the last hour trying to figure out everything I need to make payments. At least the system has an English version, that is all I have to say about that.
#63 of 143 Old 11-04-2009, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annettemarie View Post
Not to play devil's advocate but 1) I was able to use my debit card to secure a rental car with my debit card; I just had to make sure there was a certain amount of money was in my account and 2) I use cash and stock up. Using cash doesn't really have anything to do with sticking to a list-- you just leave yourself a margin. And really, if you don't have the cash, you shouldn't be buying it, bargain or not. Whether the cash is in your hand or in your bank account, you still need to only be spending what you have allotted on groceries.
Annettemarie - I'm glad you brought this up. These are things that we each have to consider for our own individual situations. And for a DR thread...I was probably the devil's advocate

To clarify, I wasn't talking about RENTING a car. I was talking about having RENTAL CAR COVERAGE. We drove a clunker for 5 years without comprehensive coverage. If we would have not used a CC for renting a car, the cost of the rental would have been double+ because we would have had to pay for the rental car coverage through the rental company. I use(d) cc for travel because #1 I'm frugal and #2 I would never go without insurance on a rental car.

As for the stocking up thing. We do not have a zero based budget. I really don't see any point to limiting myself to an amount I've arbitrarily limited myself to on October 31st just because it is October 31st and not November 1st. Particularly if I'm buying November/December/January's groceries with it. Then you are just living month to month rather than "paycheck to paycheck".

If you look at my expense history over the last 3.5 years you will see peaks as well as valleys but the numbers do average to within $10 of my monthly budgeted amount.

So I guess to address the original poster. If groceries are busting your budget, perhaps you should switch to cash. If, however, you have control over your grocery #s, I don't think you necessarily need to reinvent the wheel.

me, 28 & dh, 32.
#64 of 143 Old 11-04-2009, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekblad9 View Post
Also the cash envelope thing. I would absolutely HAVE to have something like that if I was going to go cash and not use my debit card. I don't use a credit card (my debit has the visa logo) but do you really spend less if it's cash vs. debit?
Quote:
Originally Posted by annettemarie View Post
You absolutely spend less with cash than with a debit. For one thing, money is finite. When the envelope is empty, it's empty. For another thing, money is emotional. It's harder to let go of real, tangible money than fairy imaginary debit card cash.
The opposite is true for me. If I have cash it's much easier psychologically for me to spend it. Because its right there, I can see it, feel it. It screams to me, "spend me!" lol! It's why I don't keep more than 10-20 cash on hand most times.
#65 of 143 Old 11-04-2009, 03:25 PM

OK, I am IN!!! We're mad! We're doing something about it. My Dh is slightly annoyed at me constantly saying "don't touch the debit card" and "it's not in our written budget, don't spend it", but we are both on board and ready for some FREEDOM.

Pre-baby step is accomplished. We have a budget, but it will need some tweaking since I just picked up a PT temp. seasonal job, that HOPEFULLY, will turn into something permanent, as well as a very PT job cleaning. After we get the car fixed we'll be going full steam ahead with saving our emergency fund. We're double checking credit reports, and if everything pans out right we should have everything but student loans PAID OFF my the end of May. This includes medical bills, a few items in collections, a car loan, and a credit card that we are seriously behind on. I'll list the numbers later. The student loan is a thorn in our side. A 30,000 loan to attend a private christian college for a bible degree to work in a field that pays so little is maddening!

Btw, has anyone settled on a CC debt before? We are seriously behind on ours.... like in a very bad way that involves collectors harassing us all.the.time. It's really my fault that this happened. Never let a new mom with ppd pay the bills...I spent my time roaming from window to window making sure no one was breaking in and trying to steal my baby and didn't give a rip about our debt owed. I barely managed to pay the necessities like utilities. I was living in my own personal hell. By the time my DH figured out how far behind we were it was a complete mess. So... please don't judge me for wanting to settle on the one.
#66 of 143 Old 11-05-2009, 04:45 AM

Hello! Still stalled in bs #2. Our visa card balance is creeping up, not down. In my experience, compliance to budget planning has been similar to compliance to diets and household cleaning, niether of which are my forte. I've been doing a lot of "inside work" on myself to figure out why we self-sabatoge our efforts (we were so close to being out of debt then we self destructed). I just wanted to throw out there that poor financial habits can be a symptom of a bigger, non-money related problem. I needed to figure that out for myself before continuing the financial journey. I'm looking forward to moving on to bs#3 early next year.
#67 of 143 Old 11-05-2009, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PluggingAway View Post
Hello! Still stalled in bs #2. Our visa card balance is creeping up, not down. In my experience, compliance to budget planning has been similar to compliance to diets and household cleaning, niether of which are my forte. I've been doing a lot of "inside work" on myself to figure out why we self-sabatoge our efforts (we were so close to being out of debt then we self destructed). I just wanted to throw out there that poor financial habits can be a symptom of a bigger, non-money related problem. I needed to figure that out for myself before continuing the financial journey. I'm looking forward to moving on to bs#3 early next year.
I found that when I was losing motivation a few things helped me.....Hulu.com has the dave ramsey show on (something like 170 episodes!!!) I would play it through the speakers on the pc. I don't really "like" listening to him but I found listening to the callers was really helpful and having it on in the background during the day put me in the right place mentally. I also used sharpie to write in 1" numbers the amount of each debt and hang the paper where I would see it all day.....every time I see it I want to make it go away even more LOL. In addition subscribing to the threads here so I get and instant email every time there is a new post - basically it's always right there so I don't fall into a slump.
#68 of 143 Old 11-05-2009, 10:14 PM

Thanks for the tips Hedgehog Mtn!
#69 of 143 Old 11-05-2009, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madis81 View Post
Btw, has anyone settled on a CC debt before?
I think there is a part in the class about HOW TO DO IT - so yeah, I think you should for sure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PluggingAway View Post
Thanks for the tips Hedgehog Mtn!
yeah, great tips.

Your User Agreement here at MDC, read it and make it your friend and read the FAQ to answer all the questions of the (MDC) world.
#70 of 143 Old 11-06-2009, 04:57 AM
Banned

PluggingAway - I also wrote out my debts and had fun subtracting amounts as I made payments. One other thing I did that helped was this. I have 7 student loans and I am snowballing from smallest to largest but when I got a student loan that was pretty close to going down a thousand dollar mark, I'd pay extra on this one.

For example: (not actual numbers)

$1943 - snowballing this one
$3076 - min payment on this one.

I'd try to pay at least $77 on the bigger one so the balance is then $2999. I know it isn't the proper way to do things but psychologically it helps me to see the thousand dollar number reduced.
#71 of 143 Old 11-06-2009, 10:28 AM

grrr....need to really focus on the grocery budget this month. I had it down to a science while dh was living overseas (he had his own budget, I had mine). You wouldn't think that adding ONE person back into the family would drive the grocery budget up so much. Basically we just have to get on the same page. I'm buying one thing for me and the kids to eat for breakfasts and he's going back to the store to buy himself stuff he likes better. It's driving me mad. I think we are having more adjustment issues with him moving home than we did with him moving to his assignment
#72 of 143 Old 11-06-2009, 10:55 AM

Add me to baby step #2 for next month's list!!!....and cancelling out for now the EF step #1 and also working on steps 3, 4, and 5! I had my fingers in too many pieces of the pie! I need to focus just on debt!

We have a bank line of credit debt, which has school expenses from dh for 2 yrs ago, and a Visa bill, and what was left of a truck loan (18mo worth of payments). We also had a small older car put on it for when dh went to school...and I had that car written off in a fender bender a few weeks ago! Now we are paying for a car we don't own! I had wanted one payment so hence everything on the LOC, but we lost discipline and racked up another Visa the last 2 years.

I do have a baby emergency fund, actually it would be more a toddler/preschooler than a baby...3000.00. Mentally I could not relax and wanted more in it, b/c actually really consider it a buildup to the 3-6mo worth of expenses as a goal. We also have a pretty good start on retirement, and I was trying to contribute 50.00 per mo at least....that is stopped for now. We met yesterday with our Investors Group advisor, who has been so great for us over the years. He has done stuff like helped us change our life insurance, so I can get the insurance we have on the line of credit off...for example last month I paid 60.00 insurance and 50.00 interest on a 250.00 payment....no wonder stuff is not going on the principal!!! He said to just STOP, we have got to get everything on this debt and make our dollar work wisely (towards debt, not trying to apply $$ to other stuff too) and we can just relax for now on retirement even at our ages (39 and 42) to get this debt done. Sounds Dave Ramsey to me!

I have a (yet again) revised budget and got paid today so it is off to do the bankbook! I did the budget with a minimum auto payment on my line of credit assuming a paycheck of my standard part time job...the whole budget revolves around that amount for my paycheck because it is my usual job and guarenteed minimum income. I just got news that I have been hired to cover a 1 year maternity leave on my ward...that is one more shift each pay (about 250.00 more PER paycheck AFTER deductions ) more guarenteed, and I still have room to pick up more shifts here and there. Of course all that extra will go to debt.

On a happy note too, we got a car! I had mine written off a month ago, and we got only 3000.00 for it. We lucked out I think. We got a 13yr old Honda Civic, which has only a teeny bit of rust, has a swapped engine in it with only 170,000km, and alot of other stuff done like brakes, timing belt, etc (owner was a mechanic). Interior is immaculate for it's age. Runs sweet and smooth too! I was excited shopping for myself at Value Village yesterday in my 13yr old car...who cares, I am saving money, LOL!

Looking forward to this journey with all my other Dave Ramsey-ites!

Tina, RN, wife-y to J, mom to dd (10) and ds (7)
"Beware the lollipop of mediocracy...one lick and you suck forever!"
#73 of 143 Old 11-06-2009, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Softmama View Post
grrr....need to really focus on the grocery budget this month. I had it down to a science while dh was living overseas (he had his own budget, I had mine). You wouldn't think that adding ONE person back into the family would drive the grocery budget up so much. Basically we just have to get on the same page. I'm buying one thing for me and the kids to eat for breakfasts and he's going back to the store to buy himself stuff he likes better. It's driving me mad. I think we are having more adjustment issues with him moving home than we did with him moving to his assignment

Does he have personal spending money in your budget? Dh and I both do, and take it out as cash in envelopes each payday. I know dh has gotten himself certain "treats" with it in the past that aren't part of my everyday groceries. Maybe that would work.

Tina, RN, wife-y to J, mom to dd (10) and ds (7)
"Beware the lollipop of mediocracy...one lick and you suck forever!"
#74 of 143 Old 11-06-2009, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalaland42 View Post
PluggingAway - I also wrote out my debts and had fun subtracting amounts as I made payments. One other thing I did that helped was this. I have 7 student loans and I am snowballing from smallest to largest but when I got a student loan that was pretty close to going down a thousand dollar mark, I'd pay extra on this one.

For example: (not actual numbers)

$1943 - snowballing this one
$3076 - min payment on this one.

I'd try to pay at least $77 on the bigger one so the balance is then $2999. I know it isn't the proper way to do things but psychologically it helps me to see the thousand dollar number reduced.
I do this too!

So, today is payday and first thing this morning I got online and paid off our last CC (about $600)!!!!!!!

I am so happy! The final debt to tackle (besides mortgage) is our car loan to the tune of about $13000. Most likely this is going to take us about two years, but it feels SO GOOD to be free of the CC's!
#75 of 143 Old 11-06-2009, 02:01 PM

[QUOTE=Hedgehog Mtn;14630249]I found that when I was losing motivation a few things helped me.....Hulu.com has the dave ramsey show on (something like 170 episodes!!!) I would play it through the speakers on the pc. I don't really "like" listening to him but I found listening to the callers was really helpful and having it on in the background during the day put me in the right place mentally. I also used sharpie to write in 1" numbers the amount of each debt and hang the paper where I would see it all day.....every time I see it I want to make it go away even more LOL. QUOTE]

I love these suggestions - as I don't want my debt to be out of sight therefore out of mind.

I'm going to see if I can stream DR at work... they let me hear NPR let's see if this will work

treehugger.gifAnd you who seek to know Me, know that the seeking and yearning will avail you not, unless you know the Mystery: for if that which you seek, you find not within yourself, you will never find it without.treehugger.gif

#76 of 143 Old 11-06-2009, 08:26 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by canuckgal View Post
I had my fingers in too many pieces of the pie! I need to focus just on debt!
Looking forward to this journey with all my other Dave Ramsey-ites!
I'm glad you got it all figured out. Now with a plan you can get gazelle and move forward! yahoo!!

Laurie, wife to guitar.gifDH (Aug/04), mom tobikenew.gifDS1 (Nov/05) and bfinfant.gifDS2 (June/12).

#77 of 143 Old 11-08-2009, 06:01 PM

We are putting an offer in another house tonight or tomorrow morning
#78 of 143 Old 11-08-2009, 08:04 PM

Checking in (which I need to do more often for motivation)..
Well I still haven't come up with a workable budget yet But I haven't spent any $$ other than absolute necessities. (which is HUGE for me!! I am a big time shop-a-holic)

"If we are to heal the planet, we must begin by healing birthing."
~Agnes Sallet Von Tannenberg
#79 of 143 Old 11-08-2009, 11:00 PM - Thread Starter
mtm

lactivistmama. ahem, why have you not done your budget yet? Do you need a hand? Is it done but not working? What can we do to help you? Great job on the spending.

p1gg1e, good luck with the house!

twin_mama, you can do this. Great job getting the cc paid off Look out car loan, you're next up.

canuckgal, great on getting to bs2. I was thinking you were too divided up, I'm glad you are going to focus. Now send 1000 of your ef over to your debt. Your investor sounds supportive, yay!

Softmama, I've been lax at the grocery store lately too. Must get back on track. Your dh is just back from deployment right? Maybe budget him an extra bit for the first few months of grocery splurge?

PluggingAway, the other thing I do for motivation is subscribe to a couple blogs so that I've got something inspirational in my inbox everyday. I like getrichslowly, bargaineering.com, mytwodollars are a few that i've tried.

welcome madis81!
#80 of 143 Old 11-09-2009, 04:00 AM

I really, really want to take a vacation in Feb or March 2010. I'm not done with the FFEF yet but desperately need a break from everything. It will set me back a couple thousand for a 3-4 week vacation for me and 3 kiddos, but this is the best time for me to take it, as stbx will be out of the country and have no say on whether I can take the children. Help me stay on track for the next 4 months! That's the "long-term" goal right now.

Akie, single mom to M (02/18/06), E (08/04/07) and Z (06/22/09)
#81 of 143 Old 11-09-2009, 09:57 AM

We have a paid-for '72 VW van sitting in our driveway. DH is leaning towards fixing it up for $1,000 and selling it for $4-5,000. Part of me wants to keep it though. It would make for a mangeable vacation to just hop in and drive (it needs that $1,000 to make it road-worthy though).

We had a '73 that we sold a few years ago and bought this one 'cause we missed having one. However, we haven't been able to use it since we bought it cheap knowing it would be a fixer-uper and it just hasn't made it anywhere near the top of our financial priorities.

Okay, just typing this out I know what we have to do. We expect to be onto BS3 by summer, and I suppose it's best to put the $$ to use and a few years down the line get another when it can be more of a financial priority....blah!

Laurie, wife to guitar.gifDH (Aug/04), mom tobikenew.gifDS1 (Nov/05) and bfinfant.gifDS2 (June/12).

#82 of 143 Old 11-09-2009, 11:40 AM

We've had the worst budgeting week so far. OTOH it really couldn't be avoided. We had an opportunity to preorder grain for the next 6 weeks and that was unbudgeted so came out of savings. I really didn't create a envelope for grain so I had to deal with it somehow.....there is just enough in the hay budget for hay but no way would it cover grain.....the flip side is I'm saving around $3-10 per bag x about 17 bags and they should last longer than the 6 weeks before I can order again.

In addition we went through WAY more gas this week than the envelopes/ budget allowed but again it was totally unavoidable. Gas and Grocery seem to be my problem areas....Gas can/will be fixed when DH fixes the head gasket in my family car but that means taking time off from work (and less income) I guess he just needs to do it and get it over with but until then it's 7 mpg in his truck :-(

The good news is while I dipped into the saving envelope (just to be clear this is savings I'm setting aside every week to throw at debt at the end of the month NOT my EF) and didn't stay within the envelope amounts the damage is contained to 1 weeks pay and I will be totally back on track with this weeks check.

Sorry if I'm babbling - it's discouraging to not meet the goals for this week but over the course of the month and overall we are doing awesome.....just a minor setback :-)
#83 of 143 Old 11-09-2009, 08:24 PM

It is hard when you fall short, but at the same time it teaches you which areas you need to be mindful of and decide how to prepare better for next time. We've started a $50/mo petty cash. It's kinda good to have for those things that just come up, but kinda too easy to spend too.

At least it's only a week you're off, not a whole month!

#84 of 143 Old 11-09-2009, 08:35 PM

I fell asleep during the mutual funds lesson at FPU.

Also, my husband is driving me a little nuts because he's STILL just randomly changing the budget and not telling me, or arbitrarily not putting money in the envelopes.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#85 of 143 Old 11-10-2009, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eirual View Post

Okay, just typing this out I know what we have to do. We expect to be onto BS3 by summer, and I suppose it's best to put the $$ to use and a few years down the line get another when it can be more of a financial priority....blah!

Yes it would! SPANK!
#86 of 143 Old 11-12-2009, 01:00 AM - Thread Starter
mtm

piggle, can we hire you to dole out spanking all around? Not selling the vw yet, spank. Blowing the budget, spank. Falling asleep in FPU, double spank. Fer shame. Buying three pairs of new pants when you only budgeted for 1, also a spank. sigh.
#87 of 143 Old 11-12-2009, 05:29 AM

I don't know, might be a UA violation - ROTFLOL

Go Green I don't vax either, why mess with perfect?
#88 of 143 Old 11-12-2009, 12:21 PM

DH informed me last night, that we have sent off our first extra payment -> ($400!) to our CC from his paycheck last Friday, and to expect another payment to get sent out again around the end of the month.

I am sooooooooo , because we didn't spend it, we didn't keep it, and we didn't try to say "well this is special we earned, so let's treat ourselves!". Blam-o it got sent to our debt!

treehugger.gifAnd you who seek to know Me, know that the seeking and yearning will avail you not, unless you know the Mystery: for if that which you seek, you find not within yourself, you will never find it without.treehugger.gif

#89 of 143 Old 11-12-2009, 02:20 PM

way to go ktg_!!
#90 of 143 Old 11-12-2009, 02:20 PM

*closing my eyes and not seeing the spankings*

YAY, KTG!!!!!!

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page