November Low Income Thread - Page 11 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#301 of 325 Old 11-27-2009, 10:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satori View Post
Yes its Banana Squash, though when pressed for time we get the frozen squash that comes in the little boxes in the freezer section for $1.

Whats the basic sorghum/cornstarch blend? I've done a lots of GF baking but have never ran across a blend that was just corn starch/sorghum.
sorghum flour is the best when it comes to gluten free baking. You can almost use it interchangeable for flour. I think it is relatively unknown because of the expense. When I first went to buy it the cheapest I could find it was $8 a pound. I now buy it directly from the mill and I pay $25 for 25 pounds. It is even cheaper if you grind it yourself.

Anyway it is 7 cups sorghum flour to 1 pound cornstarch mixed together. I rarely use any other flours in my cooking and baking. I always add xanthan gum also.

I would really give the sorghum flour a try as is. If not I would substitute 1/2 cup of teff flour for part of the sorghum flour but I am pretty sure you are not going to have to.

The other thing I learned is you should not mix gluten free breads by hand. they do a lot better in a mixer or even a food processor.

Here is baking tips using it from Twin Valley Mill's website:

Add 1/2 to 1 Tablespoon of corn starch to every cup of sorghum flour to improve smoothness and moisture retention

Use xanthan gum as a binder and for moisture retention. Add 1/2 teaspoon of xanthan gum per cup of sorghum flour for cookies and cakes; or 1 teaspoon per cup of flour for breads

Add a little extra oil or shortening if you feel your recipes are too dry

Add an extra egg or egg white for improved smoothness and crumb structure

Add a little extra baking powder and/or soda to boost rising properties

Mix recipes longer

Heidi
#302 of 325 Old 11-27-2009, 11:03 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
we finally broke down and turned on the heat - it still hasn't been checked yet but at least we have some heat.

And wouldn't you know it today our co2/smoke alarm decided to die. I have no idea how I'm going to manage to replace it - we really need the CO2 one because of the furnace.

Does anyone know if Chase Bank will work with you on overdrafts? I'm about 200 overdrawn {130 of that is fees } and need to get it cleared up or I will lose my bank account. But I really can't spare the full $200 this month either.

Me, 29, Muslim hijab.gif single mama to T age 7 energy.gif We homeschool.gif saynovax.giffambedsingle1.gif and Love it!
#303 of 325 Old 11-28-2009, 12:51 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am SO excited, I just had to come share! I had the most amazing time visiting some friends over Thursday and Friday....their kids love ds and ds loves them, we ended up spending the night thursday night and staying all day friday. It was such a relief to get out of my current living situation if only for a day or two. Then I get home, and....

there is a card for ds, from his bio father, for his birthday, with TWO HUNDRED dollars money order inside. This was not totally unexpected because he had said he was snding him a birthday card, and he had also said that the grandfather was going to send $200 every month, but I mean ds' birthday isn't til next month, so I wasn't expecting a birthday card now, and although I've been promised all kinds of help, until now he has NEVER paid child support. It couldn't have come at a better time.....ds is sick because he doesn't have enough warm pants in his size and he only has 1 warm jacket which seems to always be dirty somehow, and then he doesn't have a backup one while it's in the wash. We are going SHOPPING today.....I have tears in my eyes because I can make this $$ go so far and actually go into a real store (not goodwill) like a regular person and buy my baby something off the rack that no one has worn before him. It is such a wonderful feeling you guys.....he hasn't had any *new* clothes in almost a year. I am spending every dime of this money on him, he deserves it so much. I hope everyone had a great thanksgiving and hopefully everyone has a much-needed blessing just around the corner.

Very blessed mama to one bouncin' boy bouncy.gif (12/07) one angel3.gif who didn't get to stay (6/09), one potty learning, mess making divaenergy.gif(4/10), and one cheerful milk monster. aabfwoman.gif (12/11) Happy partner to the love of my lifedp_malesling.GIF.  

#304 of 325 Old 11-28-2009, 04:44 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mum4boys View Post
sorghum flour is the best when it comes to gluten free baking. You can almost use it interchangeable for flour. I think it is relatively unknown because of the expense. When I first went to buy it the cheapest I could find it was $8 a pound. I now buy it directly from the mill and I pay $25 for 25 pounds. It is even cheaper if you grind it yourself.

Anyway it is 7 cups sorghum flour to 1 pound cornstarch mixed together. I rarely use any other flours in my cooking and baking. I always add xanthan gum also.

I would really give the sorghum flour a try as is. If not I would substitute 1/2 cup of teff flour for part of the sorghum flour but I am pretty sure you are not going to have to.

The other thing I learned is you should not mix gluten free breads by hand. they do a lot better in a mixer or even a food processor.

Here is baking tips using it from Twin Valley Mill's website:

Add 1/2 to 1 Tablespoon of corn starch to every cup of sorghum flour to improve smoothness and moisture retention

Use xanthan gum as a binder and for moisture retention. Add 1/2 teaspoon of xanthan gum per cup of sorghum flour for cookies and cakes; or 1 teaspoon per cup of flour for breads

Add a little extra oil or shortening if you feel your recipes are too dry

Add an extra egg or egg white for improved smoothness and crumb structure

Add a little extra baking powder and/or soda to boost rising properties

Mix recipes longer
I'll have to experiment, I order my flour in 25 lb bags, I can get a bag (Bobs Red Mill) from the health food store for about $22.

Seriously?
#305 of 325 Old 11-29-2009, 04:30 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I need a hug....I didn't get the apt, they were not willing to work with me, even with paying up front.... My son hates living here, The holidays are in full swing.... UGH.... I just want to pull my hair out.....

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#306 of 325 Old 11-29-2009, 04:45 PM

Oh Zebra, I'm so sorry about the apartment
I hope something else comes up soon!

mama to dd1 17yo, ds1 16yo, ds2 13 yo, and dd2 6yo
#307 of 325 Old 11-29-2009, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra15 View Post
I need a hug....I didn't get the apt, they were not willing to work with me, even with paying up front.... My son hates living here, The holidays are in full swing.... UGH.... I just want to pull my hair out.....
s

btdt, but you know what? I bet the perfect apt is right around the corner! I was in a hell hole and had no hope of getting out anytime soon and we were drowning. All of the sudden this place opened up and as soon as I saw the ad I just knew it was for us. I drove 3 hours that day to see it, negotiated a killer rent deal. Were coming up on 2 years here now

Seriously?
#308 of 325 Old 11-29-2009, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra15 View Post
It just wasn't meant to be. Soemthing better will turn up soon!!!

Cheryl, wife to an amazing man, homeschooling SAHM to Gavin 12/03, Rhys 09/06, and Ian Aug 11, 2010.

#309 of 325 Old 11-29-2009, 07:58 PM

s s!

namaste.gif Practicing medicine Mama to four beautiful children 
#310 of 325 Old 11-29-2009, 08:20 PM

I am on a cooking mission this afternoon.... ma'ma is making homemade grannysmith applesauce. Apples were 3lbs for $1.77 at target on Friday, I got 3 bags.... I just love the smell of simmering apples on the stove.... (my recipie is just apples and water on low heat all day)....

For breakfast I made Honey Wheat pancakes DS was in heaven (a box mix but a favorite).

Dinner is at home thanksgiving - we went out on td, We are having, turkey, smmmmmmmmmashed taters, peas and cream sauce, hawaiian rolls and pumpkin pie and whipped cream.

I'm still depressed about not being able to move but with having to student teach in january im sure staying here is for the best. When i land a teaching contract then we can move right?? (hopefully soon after school lets out here may june)

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#311 of 325 Old 11-29-2009, 09:25 PM

That's the spirit zebra15, look on the bright side

Oh, and the applesauce sounds good

#312 of 325 Old 11-29-2009, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwat View Post
That's the spirit zebra15, look on the bright side

Oh, and the applesauce sounds good
The applesauce is delicious...

#313 of 325 Old 11-29-2009, 10:26 PM

APPLES! I knew there was something I forgot to add to my list of stuff for Dec 3rd

#314 of 325 Old 11-30-2009, 02:34 PM

I'm trying not to have a panic attack. It's not going so great, but I'm trying. We just had a knock on the door that we are a month late on rent and were given 3 day notice. That moth was supposed to be paid by an group that helped us get moved in here and the worker has no clue why it didn't! With my having been in patient for several days and not able to work to the point disability was suggested we don't have that money on hand to pay back rent. Things are going to be tight just to pay this month's rent at the moment! Things were going ok until this happened

Kristina mom to A 1/12 J 11/05 D 4/08 and tiny dude in late April 2010
#315 of 325 Old 11-30-2009, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s_kristina View Post
I'm trying not to have a panic attack. It's not going so great, but I'm trying. We just had a knock on the door that we are a month late on rent and were given 3 day notice. That moth was supposed to be paid by an group that helped us get moved in here and the worker has no clue why it didn't! With my having been in patient for several days and not able to work to the point disability was suggested we don't have that money on hand to pay back rent. Things are going to be tight just to pay this month's rent at the moment! Things were going ok until this happened
wait a minute....3 day notice? Or 30 days' notice? I'm hoping you meant 30 days. What could you possibl do in 3 days time???? I hope the group that was originally supposed to pay will still be able to. I've been there before, I hope it works out.

Very blessed mama to one bouncin' boy bouncy.gif (12/07) one angel3.gif who didn't get to stay (6/09), one potty learning, mess making divaenergy.gif(4/10), and one cheerful milk monster. aabfwoman.gif (12/11) Happy partner to the love of my lifedp_malesling.GIF.  

#316 of 325 Old 11-30-2009, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s_kristina View Post
OH HUGS..... I hope you get an answer and things straightened out soon....

#317 of 325 Old 11-30-2009, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waiting2bemommy View Post
wait a minute....3 day notice? Or 30 days' notice? I'm hoping you meant 30 days. What could you possibl do in 3 days time???? I hope the group that was originally supposed to pay will still be able to. I've been there before, I hope it works out.
A 3 day is a pay or quit notice, it means you have 3 days to pay or move or they will start the eviction process.

Seriously?
#318 of 325 Old 11-30-2009, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satori View Post
A 3 day is a pay or quit notice, it means you have 3 days to pay or move or they will start the eviction process.
Yep we got that fun one. It is a county agency that was supposed to be getting the money to them. If dh can get other things cared for quickly he was planning to stop by there this afternoon, but he had to stop about a job application first and we don't know how long that will take.

Kristina mom to A 1/12 J 11/05 D 4/08 and tiny dude in late April 2010
#319 of 325 Old 11-30-2009, 11:05 PM

Kristina I'm so sorry I hope the agency can come through for you guys.

treehugger.gif mama to flower.gif and stillheart.gif and baby.gif

femalesling.GIF  bfinfant.gif  familybed1.gif

#320 of 325 Old 12-01-2009, 01:50 PM

DH's unemployment isn't going through, and so I called about getting cash assistance until it does... the system is so messed up! They want us to do 60 HOURS of work a week, for very little money.. how is that even possible? I am a FT student and a FT nursing mama (and my baby won't take a bottle!), how am I suppose to go to all their classes? DH would rather just have a job, ya know? He knows how to go about looking for one, he knows how to work, he has a college degree- so we know he is educated.. We just can't put gas in our car or pay rent because he doesn't have a job! It sucks to have to ask our parents for money all the time!

stillheart.gif The Hippie & the Marine stillheart.gif  hh2.gif
My boys: S (4) & O (2) & Expecting #3 in Dec. 2011

#321 of 325 Old 12-01-2009, 01:56 PM

LizzyQ & kristina: HUGS to you both

Cheryl, wife to an amazing man, homeschooling SAHM to Gavin 12/03, Rhys 09/06, and Ian Aug 11, 2010.

#322 of 325 Old 12-01-2009, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzyQ View Post
DH's unemployment isn't going through, and so I called about getting cash assistance until it does... the system is so messed up! They want us to do 60 HOURS of work a week, for very little money.. how is that even possible? I am a FT student and a FT nursing mama (and my baby won't take a bottle!), how am I suppose to go to all their classes? DH would rather just have a job, ya know? He knows how to go about looking for one, he knows how to work, he has a college degree- so we know he is educated.. We just can't put gas in our car or pay rent because he doesn't have a job! It sucks to have to ask our parents for money all the time!
What I found was 'cash assistance' wasnt worth it. I had to jump through too many hoops. Like your DH I have degree(s) and didn't need to sit in a room for hours on end being talked down to. I know to interview, I know how to dress etc, and the employer referrals they had were for min. wage and things I was way over qualified for. I dont want to sound ungrateful because I really needed the $ but IMO it just wasnt worth it.
I hated the montly lectures from my parents when I needed $. Things are still tight now but at least I can almost make the bills.
I hope your DH finds something quickly....

BTW its December is there a new thread?

#323 of 325 Old 12-01-2009, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzyQ View Post
I'm guessing 20-30 hours of that is transit time? Here its 35 hours but then you spend forever on the bus. The nearest WTW site is a 30 min bus ride (same to drive, bus goes straight there but only comes every 2 hours) then about a 3/4 mi walk. I had to use the next nearest WTW which was an hour just into the city then you still had to catch the city bus and I have no idea how long that would take. I was lucky enough to having a working car and they reimbursed my mileage but still that was 2 hours of driving a day, if I counted FS+cash as my paycheck I wouldn't have even made min wage.

As for us, were doing pretty well, the in home nurse has been coming for a couple of weeks now and its made life soooo much easier. She's like a personal entertainment center for dd although she doesn't always listen and I think she's trying to treat dd like a diabetic, yesterday she gave her a protein heavy breakfast with no carbs outside of some juice then wondered why her BS kept tanking. She called me up saying she gave her some frosting (dd won't take the glucose gel stuff) and her BS only went up 10 points and she wanted to call 911 which was on the Dr's orders. I could hear dd in the back ground and had only been gone about 30 minutes. I told her no, she just needs to eat (has to eat pretty much constantly when fighting a cold) not thinking to tell her exactly what to feed her. I say it all day long so I stupidly assume she knows what to feed her and I'll be there in a of couple of minutes. I get there 5 minutes later to find her trying to feed dd pretty much pure protein, scrambled eggs! Hello! She had them for breakfast which is what put her in this situation to begin with! She needs carbs! So I give her some pudding and run to taco bell real quick and got her some rice (was faster then cooking it and she likes it better, need to find a copy cat recipe) and chicken. So, juice, 7 up, rice, a few bites of chicken and a pudding cup later her BS is stable again. I'm going to have to put a list on the fridge on what to feed her and not feed her when her BS is getting low and in what combo to feed her. The nurse has not been able to tell carbs from protein on more then one occasion

Anyway, we'll probably be MIA this week, were leaving today for the children's hospital 3 hours away until Friday for a bunch of routine Dr appts (6 appts between 2 kids) I'll bring the laptop but WiFi is pretty spotty at the Ronald McDonald House. Sucks though, we'll miss all the cities xmas stuff by 1 day Hoping we'll at least get to do the horse and cart ride around the village market place since the kids will really enjoy that. We try to find free fun stuff to do between appts or else we go crazy stuck in the room. Anyway I need to hit the shower, wanted to leave at noon which is in an hour and I haven't showered much less packed or packed up the food! At least I only have to take the basics and enough food for 24 hours, I get FS tomorrow and this is one city where I can easily buy food safe for the kids! We'll actually come back with a car packed with food and goodies to last a while

oh, did I mention were all getting a head cold?

Seriously?
#324 of 325 Old 12-01-2009, 10:12 PM

oh Satori--!! hope things go well for you guys over the next few days--and don't get a cold! echinacea and garlic! (or maybe just garlic, as it's covered by FS! )

Lizzy and zebra, i kwym about asking parents for $....it didn't used to bother me when i was 19 with one baby. I'm 28, married, with 4 kids now, and i feel like i should have been done with living like a college kid years ago Sigh.

I am grateful that my parents are willing and able to help us out when they can--more than once they have bailed us out of some impossible situations.

My little one has gained 2lbs in his first two weeks! Now if only he'd sleep when I do....!

Freethinking Earth-mama of five. uc.jpg

#325 of 325 Old 12-01-2009, 11:20 PM

sorry I have been absent for a while, Things have been pretty crazy. Don't really want to talk about it publicly but anyone one here can pm me if they would like some details. just wanted you to know that me and my kiddos are doing alright. I didnt read many posts, but I hope everyone is hanging in there.

Student and aspiring midwife mama to Angel: and Iris. Expecting a new sometime near Halloween! I am a all the way!!!!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page