November Low Income Thread - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 325 Old 11-04-2009, 11:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
s thanks mamas going to go and try to get it checked ...Hoping I can get over my agoraphobia so I can get out my front door

namaste.gif Practicing medicine Mama to four beautiful children 
#62 of 325 Old 11-05-2009, 02:01 AM

My pastor stopped by today, and said that someone gave him this envelope to give to us. I opened it up, and there was a GC to a grocery store for $150!!! We really can use that. Thank God!
#63 of 325 Old 11-05-2009, 02:29 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpkin_Pie View Post
Then, wonder of wonders!!! My case worker called me asking if I had gotten my car fixed yet (I called her to see if they could help with car repairs last week and they said no, so I didn't think to call back). I said that I had the ball joint repaired, but not the muffler. She said if I could wait a few days, she could have it paid for. I said I couldn't wait at all, and it needed to be done tomorrow so I wouldn't risk losing my job. She went and spoke with her supervisor and they are paying for my muffler!!! I can return the loan money, and I won't have to pay for any of it! I even called my garage and they will bill the state directly! Woo Hoo!!!!
Thats fantastic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacemamalove View Post
s thanks mamas going to go and try to get it checked ...Hoping I can get over my agoraphobia so I can get out my front door
You can do it mama! This is nothing to mess around with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by APmomSoCal View Post
My pastor stopped by today, and said that someone gave him this envelope to give to us. I opened it up, and there was a GC to a grocery store for $150!!! We really can use that. Thank God!
Time to go shopping!

Does anyone donate plasma to help pay the bills? I'm seriously thinking about it, it would bring in about $200mo and for me personally I rationalize it as doing a good deed that benefits me in 2 ways, helps pay the bills and contributes to people like my dd who need immunoglobulin therapy to live so in a way who knows, maybe my own donation could end up in the pool that my dd's meds come from A friend of mines DH is a tech at one of the collection centers and I did donate back when I was like 19 for extra cash so I am familiar with the process but dam if that huge needle doesn't scare the crap outta me.

Seriously?
#64 of 325 Old 11-05-2009, 02:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by remijo View Post

I do have a serious gripe, wondered if anyone else can tell me how to deal with this. I went down to get food stamps, we definitely qualify but it requires that DH has to take a income verification sheet to his workplace which he won't do. He's too proud. He would rather rack up money on the credit card then do that. It makes me want to hit him, seriously.
this probably has been addressed before but I had to respond the moment I saw this.

my husband is the same way. he fears his job is at stake if he requests his HR department to fill out a verification form for the EBT (food stamps)application. don't know why thats a fear but it is and its keeping him from doing it too. I BET, no I won't because I have nothing to bet you on, but I wonder if the Human Resources know this and use it as a loop to deny benifits.....
#65 of 325 Old 11-05-2009, 08:09 AM

Quote:
that is awesome!!!

#66 of 325 Old 11-05-2009, 09:43 AM

See? Good things are happening! Awesome!

I had a great interview yesterday I think I got it.. but I haven't heard yet...
I really hope I get this job.

Have a great day ladies!

Saamy Student mama to  superhero.gifand hearts.gifand babyf.gif

#67 of 325 Old 11-05-2009, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacemamalove View Post
Can you get a mammogram through the Breast and Cervical Cancer Program? I used that for my pre-cervical cancer cells. After I got diagnosed I was put on BCCP Medicaid to pay for treatment and for a full year after the pre-cancerous cells were frozen off.

Quote:
That is awesome!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunanthem View Post
See? Good things are happening! Awesome!

I had a great interview yesterday I think I got it.. but I haven't heard yet...
I really hope I get this job.

Have a great day ladies!
I hope you get it!!!

I'm excited because my great aunt is giving away a twin bed with mattress that was only used twice (she is moving) and we are getting it for our kids!!!

treehugger.gif mama to flower.gif and stillheart.gif and baby.gif

femalesling.GIF  bfinfant.gif  familybed1.gif

#68 of 325 Old 11-05-2009, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpkin_Pie View Post
Then, wonder of wonders!!! My case worker called me asking if I had gotten my car fixed yet (I called her to see if they could help with car repairs last week and they said no, so I didn't think to call back). I said that I had the ball joint repaired, but not the muffler. She said if I could wait a few days, she could have it paid for. I said I couldn't wait at all, and it needed to be done tomorrow so I wouldn't risk losing my job. She went and spoke with her supervisor and they are paying for my muffler!!! I can return the loan money, and I won't have to pay for any of it! I even called my garage and they will bill the state directly! Woo Hoo!!!!

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satori View Post
Does anyone donate plasma to help pay the bills? I'm seriously thinking about it, it would bring in about $200mo and for me personally I rationalize it as doing a good deed that benefits me in 2 ways, helps pay the bills and contributes to people like my dd who need immunoglobulin therapy to live so in a way who knows, maybe my own donation could end up in the pool that my dd's meds come from A friend of mines DH is a tech at one of the collection centers and I did donate back when I was like 19 for extra cash so I am familiar with the process but dam if that huge needle doesn't scare the crap outta me.
i think that for $200 a month i might do it!

its good today

proverbs 29:7 the righteous care about justice for the poor, but the wicked have no such concern.

#69 of 325 Old 11-05-2009, 12:35 PM

I tried to sell my plasma when I was 19. It turns out my veins are too small so I was disqualified. But if I had been able to then I would definitely have done and and probably would still be. They make you fill out tons of paperwork and the place I went to even took my picture for their file, but they said all that stuff was for the first appointment only and any other appointments would be quick.

treehugger.gif mama to flower.gif and stillheart.gif and baby.gif

femalesling.GIF  bfinfant.gif  familybed1.gif

#70 of 325 Old 11-05-2009, 12:42 PM

well this morning i tried to take ds to teh dentist. i had called to make the appt and they said his medicaid number had been activated. get all the way there and gee, what a surprise, it's actually NOT working, so he got to play in their awesome play area for an hour while we were calling the insurance company and what not, but he never got his teeth cleaned. grrrrr.

otoh, i found a decent daycare in the same shopping area as the dentist, and there are literally TONS of businesses over there, plus a shopping mall, so i picked up some job applications and toured the daycare facility and i am going to spend the afternoon making phone calls and trying to set up some interviews for tomorrow. it's just retail and stuff like that but it's a start. and we can get there by bus, and the daycare takes social services vouchers.

on question though for those of you who have used the daycare subsidy; did they make you wait 2 or 3 weeks after you started the job to get the subsidy approved? what did you do in the meantime? i don't have the cash to pay out of pocket. i actually can't even afford the registration fee.

Very blessed mama to one bouncin' boy bouncy.gif (12/07) one angel3.gif who didn't get to stay (6/09), one potty learning, mess making divaenergy.gif(4/10), and one cheerful milk monster. aabfwoman.gif (12/11) Happy partner to the love of my lifedp_malesling.GIF.  

#71 of 325 Old 11-05-2009, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waiting2bemommy View Post
well this morning i tried to take ds to teh dentist. i had called to make the appt and they said his medicaid number had been activated. get all the way there and gee, what a surprise, it's actually NOT working, so he got to play in their awesome play area for an hour while we were calling the insurance company and what not, but he never got his teeth cleaned. grrrrr.

otoh, i found a decent daycare in the same shopping area as the dentist, and there are literally TONS of businesses over there, plus a shopping mall, so i picked up some job applications and toured the daycare facility and i am going to spend the afternoon making phone calls and trying to set up some interviews for tomorrow. it's just retail and stuff like that but it's a start. and we can get there by bus, and the daycare takes social services vouchers.

on question though for those of you who have used the daycare subsidy; did they make you wait 2 or 3 weeks after you started the job to get the subsidy approved? what did you do in the meantime? i don't have the cash to pay out of pocket. i actually can't even afford the registration fee.
I had to pay the reg fee and dd wasn't allowed to start until all the paperwork for the state had been completed for payment. Good luck finding a job quickly, wish I was out there job hunting with you!

Seriously?
#72 of 325 Old 11-05-2009, 12:58 PM

Quote:

Sounds frustrating ..years ago when I was looking into daycare for my son I had to wait to get it I then just decided to stay home after checking out all the daycares that excepted it and ran far away !!!

#73 of 325 Old 11-05-2009, 01:46 PM

Sounds like some good news in our tribe!

DH is still looking for a job.. I have to call medicaid/food stamps and ask them what they need this time before they cancel on me, but I can't sit on hold for 2 hours waiting to talk to someone!

stillheart.gif The Hippie & the Marine stillheart.gif  hh2.gif
My boys: S (4) & O (2) & Expecting #3 in Dec. 2011

#74 of 325 Old 11-05-2009, 01:59 PM

Quote:
LizzyQ]Sounds like some good news in our tribe!
YES!!!

I got the job!!! Hooray!!

Saamy Student mama to  superhero.gifand hearts.gifand babyf.gif

#75 of 325 Old 11-05-2009, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunanthem View Post
YES!!!

I got the job!!! Hooray!!

Seriously?
#76 of 325 Old 11-05-2009, 02:38 PM

SO glad you got the job...that's terrific!

This daycare I would give a 6 or 7 out of 10. They are very proactive as far as potty learning (some of the cheap ones are lazy and don't take the kids potty and just keep them in pull ups), they have a structured schedule that includes circle time and simple academics, and the teachers seem warm and friendly. The kids looked happy enough, and they wear uniforms, which tells me that the director takes the establishment seriously and views it as a school and not just a place to dump the kids.

The facility itself is old, obviously they try to keep it clean, but it could use a major overhaul. They don't have a lot of toys and everything is plastic. Thank goodness they have to follow usda food regs or I can only imagine what they'd serve for meals. But if it will get us on our feet I'll deal with it for the time being. I think they are basically decent people running a daycare on a shoestring budget.

Very blessed mama to one bouncin' boy bouncy.gif (12/07) one angel3.gif who didn't get to stay (6/09), one potty learning, mess making divaenergy.gif(4/10), and one cheerful milk monster. aabfwoman.gif (12/11) Happy partner to the love of my lifedp_malesling.GIF.  

#77 of 325 Old 11-05-2009, 05:42 PM

Well I have some good news and some semi good news, remember that speeding ticket I got on the way to UCLA to see if I had cancer? When I go in with proof of ins and current reg the ticket will cost me $301 which is less then I was expecting by about $100. Still can't pay all the bills this month thanks to the ticket but at least I'll only be about $150 in the hole rather then $250. Trying to thank positive here!

The good news is I just got an email from the USPS, my nice warm jacket is waiting for me to pick up so I can stop freezing my arse off outside waiting for the bus

Seriously?
#78 of 325 Old 11-05-2009, 07:31 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
SO glad you got the job...that's terrific!

This daycare I would give a 6 or 7 out of 10. They are very proactive as far as potty learning (some of the cheap ones are lazy and don't take the kids potty and just keep them in pull ups), they have a structured schedule that includes circle time and simple academics, and the teachers seem warm and friendly. The kids looked happy enough, and they wear uniforms, which tells me that the director takes the establishment seriously and views it as a school and not just a place to dump the kids.

The facility itself is old, obviously they try to keep it clean, but it could use a major overhaul. They don't have a lot of toys and everything is plastic. Thank goodness they have to follow usda food regs or I can only imagine what they'd serve for meals. But if it will get us on our feet I'll deal with it for the time being. I think they are basically decent people running a daycare on a shoestring budget.
Uniforms for daycare?? I never heard of that....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satori View Post
Well I have some good news and some semi good news, remember that speeding ticket I got on the way to UCLA to see if I had cancer? When I go in with proof of ins and current reg the ticket will cost me $301 which is less then I was expecting by about $100. Still can't pay all the bills this month thanks to the ticket but at least I'll only be about $150 in the hole rather then $250. Trying to thank positive here!

The good news is I just got an email from the USPS, my nice warm jacket is waiting for me to pick up so I can stop freezing my arse off outside waiting for the bus
A new coat... thats great.... and a cheaper ticket thats always good news

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#79 of 325 Old 11-05-2009, 07:34 PM

Ya know, this week hasn't been good for subbing. This is Thursday and no work. I have work scheduled for Friday - I hope it doesn't get cancelled. But come on school district... I NEED more than one stinking day of subbing. UGH... Hoping that next week is better. It should be, Weds is a 'holiday' and teachers tend to get the 'holiday sickness' around here.

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#80 of 325 Old 11-05-2009, 07:42 PM

OK, I think I'm going to have a breakdown. I posted on here earlier this week how the school district was appealing my unemployment, I just logged on to the UE website and they think I'm going to repay $2400 !! Ummm excuse me... I dont have that kind of money sitting around... I worked one day this week at $85/day (friday if they dont cancel the job). I wonder if I can appeal the States decision on this.

There are NO jobs in this city. Unemployment is close to 20%... I'm expected to come up with 3k for my tution to student teach shortly (i think i can get that from my grandpa), but I'm overqualified for every stinking part time job ....

I need to cry... I'm going to have a breakdown again

#81 of 325 Old 11-05-2009, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra15 View Post
OK, I think I'm going to have a breakdown. I posted on here earlier this week how the school district was appealing my unemployment, I just logged on to the UE website and they think I'm going to repay $2400 !! Ummm excuse me... I dont have that kind of money sitting around... I worked one day this week at $85/day (friday if they dont cancel the job). I wonder if I can appeal the States decision on this.

There are NO jobs in this city. Unemployment is close to 20%... I'm expected to come up with 3k for my tution to student teach shortly (i think i can get that from my grandpa), but I'm overqualified for every stinking part time job ....

We owe to UE too I think it is ridiculous!

#82 of 325 Old 11-05-2009, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra15 View Post

s

#83 of 325 Old 11-05-2009, 11:10 PM

zebra, if you're overqualified, is there a way that you could possibly write a "less qualified" resume for yourself and use your life experience instead of high-paying jobs? Things like working at your child's school for a daycare job, or caring for an aging parent as your background to be a home health aide....something like that. You could also enlist family and friends to be your references instead of former supervisors, if you feel a need to not share your real qualifications and experience.

Idk if that will help any, but it might be worth trying if people are just looking at your degree or something and telling you no based just on that.

#84 of 325 Old 11-05-2009, 11:30 PM

Quote:
zebra, if you're overqualified, is there a way that you could possibly write a "less qualified" resume for yourself and use your life experience instead of high-paying jobs? Things like working at your child's school for a daycare job, or caring for an aging parent as your background to be a home health aide....something like that. You could also enlist family and friends to be your references instead of former supervisors, if you feel a need to not share your real qualifications and experience.

Idk if that will help any, but it might be worth trying if people are just looking at your degree or something and telling you no based just on that.
Any suggestions for someone who hasn't worked in a couple of years? Before that yeah I had 10+ years IT experience but I've barely worked the past several years and not at all the past 4 or so plus I don't have any references that I'm not related to so I have no idea how I would fill out a job application, wondering if I could pull off 1-2 days a week some where as a seasonal worker.

Seriously?
#85 of 325 Old 11-06-2009, 12:58 AM

The call came today that my car is totaled. The fix costs more than the car is worth. I have $20 in the bank and live in an area with very limited public transit. I'm so screwed. DH has a small amount of money saved for business taxes and if we use that for a car, we'll have fees for not paying the taxes on time.

In October, both my daughter and DH went to the ER for various injuries/illnesses and the bills should be coming in soon. I got a ticket last week. And now this. We were debt free but broke. Now we're broke and owe thousands. I don't know what we're going to do.
#86 of 325 Old 11-06-2009, 02:39 AM

To the people who owe unemployment...that sucks! Obviously anyone on UE isn't exactly raking in the dough.

I put in three job applications today. A farm and home store, Walmart, and McDonalds. Wheeee. Eh, oh well. I still have four other places that I'm planning to apply at. After that...I have no idea where else to apply. I live in a small town and there isn't much here.
#87 of 325 Old 11-06-2009, 03:03 AM

We went to the $1 store today, and I forgot how much good stuff you can get there for super cheap! I spent way more than I meant to ($17) but I got Xmas stockings for the family, a 16-pk of Xmas cards, toothbrushes and a bunch of photo frames for presents to our parents.. It I would have spent retail on all that it would have been over $50 for sure!

#88 of 325 Old 11-06-2009, 03:16 AM

Well... discovered why I've regressed health-wise this past month and what has been going on with my blood sugar over the year. I have Sjogren's, an autoimmune disorder. A few years ago it was my liver giving me issues and now it's the pancreas.

There are a lot of good things about this though. I finally have a diagnosis instead of being the medical weirdo. I have improved dramatically these past three years even without a diagnosis. Now I can start a specific treatment protocol. I plan to be a healthy woman!

Looks like I'm going back into medical debt. I have a few family members volunteering to help out.

I used my recent money to finally buy a quality pair of winter boots. I have Raynaud's (which is not unusual for a person with autoimmunity), but always toughed it out every winter. Well I think I deserve a WARM pair of boots.

coolshine.gifSHINE!  Yogini.  My tuna girlgoldfish.gif  Partner to Dteapot2.GIF  Our little flower is herelove.gif/surpriseuc.jpg
#89 of 325 Old 11-06-2009, 03:51 AM

Subbing real fast. I sort of dropped off at the end of last month. Things got a bit busy. Tomorrow DD1 goes for her dental work. I'm so dang anxious and nervous and I know I shouldn't be.

Off to read the rest of the thread!

Give more**Expect Less
There is no such thing as bad weather. Only bad clothing.
#90 of 325 Old 11-06-2009, 04:39 AM

Quote:

I think I'm going to have to. I hate the thought of lying by omission but Im never going to get a PT job by putting my masters degree on there. And every career job I've had in the past 10 years has required basically security clearance (banking/fraud investigations/legal work) so putting those on the application/resume is a dead giveaway. I'm going to have to go with SAHM, homeschooler, sub-teacher since its been about 18 mos since my last corporate america job.

My problem with UE happened when the 'benefits' year eneded and it was time to recertify. (may 2009) I was claiming benefits from job A which was all well and good but I was working very part time for job B. The state told me to claim UE from job B, ummm NO, I should still get extended bene's from job A but the dumb state ran bene's from job B, well this was wrong, I told the state it was wrong but the state assured me it was correct since job B was a school district and it just happened to be summer break. Ugh... can everyone see where this is going... anyway the school district has no $$ and disputes every UE case, I obviously lost and now they want 2400$ back. This also means when I get my teaching license I probably have ZERO chance of getting hired on at the district. (not a huge loss, there are other districts) And there is ZERO chance the state is going to correct their error and get my UE billed to the employer A. This is probably why I didnt get called for subbing jobs this week. (again difficult to prove but very likely). You can bet your tooshie I will be filing an appeal though. And I will be faxing in a change report to DES so hopefully they will correct my foodstamp amount. Since now that I have absoluetly ZERO income we should qualify for max FS again. Somedays I really want to bang my head against the wall...

And just to max out my stress level my roommate / landlord is going tomorrow to pick up her new puppy... a BERNESE MOUNTAIN DOG... I maybe on a 72 hr pysch hold this weekend

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page