November Low Income Thread - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-09-2009, 04:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
where i live i've never been able to take advantage of the deals where if you buy so much of one product then you get a 5$ G.C or whatever. They always tell me if i buy the qualifying food with FS then i won't qualify for the gift card.

That deal sounds awesome, i wish we had a safeway around here!

E Veg*n Mom to ds 6 : dd 3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2009, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolansmummy View Post
where i live i've never been able to take advantage of the deals where if you buy so much of one product then you get a 5$ G.C or whatever. They always tell me if i buy the qualifying food with FS then i won't qualify for the gift card.

That stinks!

stillheart.gif The Hippie & the Marine stillheart.gif  hh2.gif
My boys: S (4) & O (2) & Expecting #3 in Dec. 2011

Old 11-09-2009, 06:25 PM

Same here, Nolansmummy. I've tried to do that and I ALWAYS get such a hard time about it that I just stopped () It always has to go through at least 2 supervisors, and it's such a hassle that it's not worth it...

mama to dd1 17yo, ds1 16yo, ds2 13 yo, and dd2 6yo
Old 11-09-2009, 06:36 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Well no work today, but I did get a call for tomorrow (tues) and Friday, the same class both days so assuming the district doesnt cancel on me I should have some income this week. Hopefully i will get a call for thursday and all will be good - weds is a holiday.
I put in an application at Frys -grocery store- they are set to strike on thursday night here and the store is hiring like crazy, dont ask me why anyone would strike in this economy but I'm willing to work if they call for temp/part time help.
I filled out my rebuttle sheet for the unemployment fiasco. There is no way I can pay back $2400.00 right now so if nothing else this should get me more time to figure out what to do about that whole mess too.

I went to the grocery store this weekend and with coupons, major sales and good luck I got $100 worth of food for $33.00.

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

Old 11-09-2009, 06:45 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nolansmummy View Post

That's illegal. They have to give you the same deals/benefits. I know there's information on the Federal SNAP benefits website.
Old 11-09-2009, 07:36 PM

Like Polliwog said, they have to give you the same deals. Talk to the manager if they don't. At Safeway, they didn't even think about my payment method; the machine just spits them out. I'm happy that I can use that $$ for non-food items, for sure!!

I went over to Toys R Us with a $16 merchandise credit from a return earlier in the year. I did two transactions and spent $40 of my own money - my whole budget for holidays for two kids on my list. I got $20 back, 8 preschooler games, and I'll get $14 back with the rebate. Plus, I'll be sending in the rebates for I am so thrilled with that deal! So they'll end up $2 each, which just rocks. Two are going to my nephew and I'd planned on spending $20 on him. Four are going into the gift closet for upcoming friend birthday parties. That worked out just awesome for me!

It would be an even better deal if you stuck to the $3.99 games. If you were to buy 7 games at $27.93, you'd get $10 for the gift card and $14 for the rebate, making it just $3.93 for 7 games. I got a few of the $9.99 games, so my deal wasn't as good, but you could certainly fill out a Christmas gift on the cheap that way!
Old 11-09-2009, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyLittleHouse View Post

I went over to Toys R Us with a $16 merchandise credit from a return earlier in the year. I did two transactions and spent $40 of my own money - my whole budget for holidays for two kids on my list. I got $20 back, 8 preschooler games, and I'll get $14 back with the rebate. Plus, I'll be sending in the rebates for I am so thrilled with that deal! So they'll end up $2 each, which just rocks. Two are going to my nephew and I'd planned on spending $20 on him. Four are going into the gift closet for upcoming friend birthday parties. That worked out just awesome for me!

It would be an even better deal if you stuck to the $3.99 games. If you were to buy 7 games at $27.93, you'd get $10 for the gift card and $14 for the rebate, making it just $3.93 for 7 games. I got a few of the $9.99 games, so my deal wasn't as good, but you could certainly fill out a Christmas gift on the cheap that way!
Cool! I am planning on going there tomorrow and doing the same!

Old 11-09-2009, 08:49 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyLittleHouse View Post
Like Polliwog said, they have to give you the same deals. Talk to the manager if they don't. At Safeway, they didn't even think about my payment method; the machine just spits them out. I'm happy that I can use that $$ for non-food items, for sure!!

can you explain that deal to me? It sounds great! What games are included?

Me, 29, Muslim hijab.gif single mama to T age 7 energy.gif We homeschool.gif saynovax.giffambedsingle1.gif and Love it!
Old 11-09-2009, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frugalmama View Post
can you explain that deal to me? It sounds great! What games are included?
The ad is on the www.toyrus.com website

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

Old 11-10-2009, 12:11 AM - Thread Starter

Hi everyone,

I'm still at my parents home technically...while for the next 10 days I am at a friends house who is traveling and loaned her house to us to relax and play. The kids are watching (rewatching) their newest favorite remake movie (Sand Lot). I've got a pizza in the oven and veggie bbq riblets on the table with a plate full of grapes. The kids are in heaven right now. Poor Lakshmi wanted to live here permanently, and the other two said this is the type of house they would love to live in. I reminded, and will continue to remind them that this is 10 days. We are then leaving for a funeral (my brother in law's sister died) and then back to my parents for 1 more month.

We hope to move in 1 month or so, and that is exciting.

Hope everyone is doing well. I'll be able to check the internet for the next 10 days since I have access to wireless here. My parents have dialup, and it is IMPOSSIBLE to use the internet unfortunately.
Jyotsna

Vegetarian Hindu, mother to L,P and R. 
Old 11-10-2009, 01:18 AM - Thread Starter

Wow, love those deals. I have to check it out. Thanks for the info.

Old 11-10-2009, 03:26 AM

I have an interview tomorrow pm w. Frys grocery. Its only temp. work and its only a job if the union strikes starting Friday but the job is almost guarenteed after the interview. The pay is so-so $9.50 but at this point I can't afford to be particular. I'm not getting enough days from the school district and we need $$. I hate to see anyone strike but..it may open an employment opportunity for me for a bit.
Plus I'm scheduled to sub for 3/4th grade combo tomorrow as well. (lets hope the district doesnt cancel the job on me overnight)

Old 11-10-2009, 04:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra15 View Post
I have an interview tomorrow pm w. Frys grocery. Its only temp. work and its only a job if the union strikes starting Friday but the job is almost guarenteed after the interview. The pay is so-so $9.50 but at this point I can't afford to be particular. I'm not getting enough days from the school district and we need $$. I hate to see anyone strike but..it may open an employment opportunity for me for a bit.
Plus I'm scheduled to sub for 3/4th grade combo tomorrow as well. (lets hope the district doesnt cancel the job on me overnight)
That's wonderful! Well not for the strikers but for you its good news

Seriously?
Old 11-10-2009, 04:54 AM

Lizzy, yeah, it's a super-awesome organic latex-and-wool dream mattress We bought it with a windfall after sleeping on the floor for over a year. stupid pregnancy brain made me mess it up by shrinking the casing

Jyotsna! so glad to hear that you are okay I had been thinking about you..

Well, the castor oil seems to be a bust. I don't know what to do, think, anything. I hate the end of pregnancy so, so much.

/whine

good luck to all you job seekers!!

Freethinking Earth-mama of five. uc.jpg

Old 11-10-2009, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krystal323 View Post
Lizzy, yeah, it's a super-awesome organic latex-and-wool dream mattress We bought it with a windfall after sleeping on the floor for over a year. stupid pregnancy brain made me mess it up by shrinking the casing

Well, the castor oil seems to be a bust. I don't know what to do, think, anything. I hate the end of pregnancy so, so much.

/whine

There are pressure points on your ankle that will cause contractions and there's always the same thing that got you into this situation

Seriously?
Old 11-10-2009, 01:23 PM

Hi everyone.
Sounds like you guys are doing a little better, hope it rubs off on me
I'm going to the HoneyBaked Ham Company later today to fill out an application for seasonal help (wish me luck) I know that they are looking for afternoon help right now, then help again around X-Mas but at least it would be a start.

Old 11-10-2009, 03:30 PM

ok mama's, got another seemingly stupid question. What does one wear to a job interview for a min wage type job? Some how I don't think you show up in the kinds of work clothes I have in my closet (white collar jobs) when I'll be looking for blue collar jobs.

I'm honestly not trying to sound snobbish but I've always worked in offices where its totally acceptable/expected to wear wool suits, slacks with silk blouses ect. I'm wondering how much I'd get for the suits on craigslist. I know 2 of the suits retailed for $500 each (didn't pay any where near that price, got them at a high end thrift store last year when I went job hunting)

Seriously?
Old 11-10-2009, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satori View Post
ok mama's, got another seemingly stupid question. What does one wear to a job interview for a min wage type job? Some how I don't think you show up in the kinds of work clothes I have in my closet (white collar jobs) when I'll be looking for blue collar jobs.

I'm honestly not trying to sound snobbish but I've always worked in offices where its totally acceptable/expected to wear wool suits, slacks with silk blouses ect. I'm wondering how much I'd get for the suits on craigslist. I know 2 of the suits retailed for $500 each (didn't pay any where near that price, got them at a high end thrift store last year when I went job hunting)
I still try to dress nicely for any interview.. nice slacks and a collared shirt would work just fine.

Old 11-10-2009, 05:40 PM

OKAY, MY LIFE OFFICIALLY SUCKS!!!!!!!!

Eric didn't get the job at Target because of his background check
NO one is calling me back,
and I'm getting really depressed.

I want to start crying, but I'm afraid that I won't be able to stop.

Old 11-10-2009, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwat View Post

I'm sorry

Most retail stores/companies do background checks, because there is such a high rate of employee theft (of product and money). I hope he can find a job so you can start getting some money from him.

Melonee, mom to Chloe 03/21/03 ribboncesarean.gif, Cooper 02/02/2007 vbac.gif, and Piper 12/27/09  vbac.gif
Old 11-10-2009, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krystal323 View Post

/whine

Have you looked into evening primrose oil?

treehugger.gif mama to flower.gif and stillheart.gif and baby.gif

femalesling.GIF  bfinfant.gif  familybed1.gif

Old 11-10-2009, 08:48 PM

Quote:

Seriously?
Old 11-10-2009, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satori View Post

I have my interview in 30 mins at the grocery store... I will be wearing khaki pants (capris)and a cotton, button down type shirt. This is what I wore to school to sub/teach in today. This is my standard type clothing these days....

I haven't worn or owned a suit in 10 years... I haven't experienced good luck selling adult clothing on CL, however Ebay was profitable when I cleaned closets a few years ago.

Old 11-10-2009, 09:36 PM

Quote:
I'm so sorry!!!!

Old 11-10-2009, 11:50 PM - Thread Starter

Cwat, I'm so sorry. It is very scary.

Old 11-11-2009, 03:19 AM

On the 'what to wear to an interview' topic, I'm trying to figure out what I can wear if I get called to any interviews. (Fast food and retail type places.) I have a green sweater and some brown slacks, and brown shoes. Can I wear black tights with brown shoes and brown slacks? If not, what kind of socks/tights do I wear with these shoes?

DH works for Walmart, and we just had to redo insurance for the year and the new plan SUCKS. We are now getting half the stuff that we got last year, for almost fifty percent more of our money. Jerks. I mean, no matter what we can't afford to go to the doctor, but now our deductible more than doubled. There is no WAY we'll ever be able to meet the deductible if something bad happens. ($2200! Per person!!!!!!!)
Old 11-11-2009, 03:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenelopeJune View Post
On the 'what to wear to an interview' topic, I'm trying to figure out what I can wear if I get called to any interviews. (Fast food and retail type places.) I have a green sweater and some brown slacks, and brown shoes. Can I wear black tights with brown shoes and brown slacks? If not, what kind of socks/tights do I wear with these shoes?

DH works for Walmart, and we just had to redo insurance for the year and the new plan SUCKS. We are now getting half the stuff that we got last year, for almost fifty percent more of our money. Jerks. I mean, no matter what we can't afford to go to the doctor, but now our deductible more than doubled. There is no WAY we'll ever be able to meet the deductible if something bad happens. ($2200! Per person!!!!!!!)
Would it be cheaper to go the private ins route or get medicaid?

Seriously?
Old 11-11-2009, 10:55 AM

Quote:

s and more s!!

and s for anyone else needing them

namaste.gif Practicing medicine Mama to four beautiful children 
Old 11-11-2009, 12:51 PM

Joining in today as well. I'm a SAHM to Rowan who is 6mo. DH is a special needs teacher and I have a degree in public health. I have to share just how joyful my morning has been!

So we have been getting foodstamps, we pay more each month in student loans than we do in rent, so FS has been a great help...however I did not notify them when DH got a new job...so we have been without as DH's old job has not been very quick about sending them a letter saying he got done with them (it's been 2 months )

We were doing the WIC program but stopped as neither of us eat dairy or cheese, like organic eggs, and natural peanut butter...so we ate pretty much nothing off of the WIC check and dropped the program like 6 months ago...BUT I heard that WIC now has fruits, veggies, soy milk and tofu, so I went in this morning and signed back up! And they now allow for our kind of peanutbutter! I can't even tell you how much this is going to help us out right now... finances are so tight. I am thinking about making a ton of apple butter to give away for christmas as we have tons and tons of apples left over from the fall harvest.

AND I don't want to say this is the best part...but I haven't weighed myself in a few months and was weighed there and...I am back down to pre preg size!!! I've been doing yoga every day and I feel awesome, so I don't want to feel like the scale owns me, but it is still pretty sweet!

So am going to go to the DHHS and see if I can speak to someone about our situation tomorrow...we'll see what comes of that...DH might even make too much money for us to qualify anyways...

Anyway, looking forward to chatting here!

Dirt worshiping, creatress Mama to Rowan and Alden - home birth loving, no circ, no vax, extended breast feeding, cloth diapering, baby wearing, cosleeping

Old 11-11-2009, 01:56 PM

I just have to rant for a second....I had an interview scheduled for 10 AM thie morning and rain was forecast so I asked my dad last night for a ride in the morning to the bus stop (on his way to work, the bus stop is about a mile from the house).

Well the room ds and I sleep in has blackout shades and I was so tired alst night I forgot to pull them up before bed so it stayed super dark this morning and I didn't wake up as early as I'd planned. I was in the room getting ready, still not sure what time it was and I came out to tell my dad we were just about ready (he leaves for work at 8) and he was gone! It was just a couple minutes after 8.

I asked my mom why no one knocked on the door to let me know he was ready to go and she said "I didn't want to disturb you." And proceeded to sit on the couch and just watch & smirk as I frantically raced around calling and trying to arrange another ride the whole way to the interview (the bus only runs once an hour, so if I miss the 8:10 bus there isn't another one that could get me there in time)

As she breezed out the door to meet her friend who was picking her up to go out for the day.....

I called my dad later to ask him to please knock on my door next time, even if he thinks I'm asleep, and he goes, "I was going to call you earlier and I would have waited for you even if you were asleep, but your mother told me not to bother you because you had changed your mind and weren't going to the interview."

This place was closed today and the lady specifically opened up just to meet with me. I felt like such an a$$ calling to apologize and reschedule because I didn't have a ride. And of course the first words out of her mouth were "well how do you plan on getting to work every day?"

I am just SO TIRED of fighting for everything. This is not the first time my mom has sabotaged me and it won't be the last. She even locks up the phone and computer when she's not here (of course I just ignore her and unlock the door, but WHY is that necessary????)

I cannot wait to move from here. If I can ever get a job.

That concludes my rant. Thank you very much for listening.

Very blessed mama to one bouncin' boy bouncy.gif (12/07) one angel3.gif who didn't get to stay (6/09), one potty learning, mess making divaenergy.gif(4/10), and one cheerful milk monster. aabfwoman.gif (12/11) Happy partner to the love of my lifedp_malesling.GIF.  

User Tag List