November Low Income Thread - Page 7 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#181 of 325 Old 11-12-2009, 09:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know how that feels, we just went 12 days with no $ on our ebt card. Today it was renewed and DS and I spent an hour ambling thru the store. I had been looking forward to it for awhile! We've been so tired of tortillas and beans and rice and cheese....we splurged.
Also I have some other good news..I got news today about a possible job interview next week.

Mom to three boys 7/7/00 fencing.gif 11/20/02 and 10/29/2011 luxlove.gif

Writing at: http://paisleymama.blogspot.com/ and other places! 

#182 of 325 Old 11-12-2009, 09:12 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzyQ View Post

We've been out of FS for a couple weeks now, and it sucks! We keep running out of essentials too (like cooking oil, soymilk, etc)... in just a couple days we will be getting $600 in FS and I plan on stocking up now that Costco accept them!
we just got ours on the 1st - we stocked up so I shouldn't be complaining since we have plenty of food - but I'm tired and wish I had enough extra for a frozen pizza {$5} so I didn't have to make a mess of my kitchen trying to cook.

Oh well - at least we will be eating. Bills might not get paid, but we have a roof over out heads and food in our bellies.

Me, 29, Muslim hijab.gif single mama to T age 7 energy.gif We homeschool.gif saynovax.giffambedsingle1.gif and Love it!
#183 of 325 Old 11-12-2009, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbond View Post
Have you looked into the new loan repayment programs offered by the government? http://www.ibrinfo.org/

Not only is the repayment amount capped while you make payments to a manageable part of your income (and in some cases, the payment can be $0) BUT also if you work for the government, a non-profit, or as a TEACHER, you can have your loans forgiven after 10 years.
Holy Smokes, I think I qualify for this program!!!! I owe over $55K and just started working full time as a teacher for the YMCA childcare. They are a non-profit, and on the link above, the qualifiers all seem to look like my job fits right in. I was thinking I was going to be paying on my student loans until I die. I can't believe I might be able to pay them off eventually! Woo Hoo! 10 years is a long time from now, but at least it might actually happen!

Also, if I can get into this program, I could actually buy a house knowing that by 2019 I wouldn't have any more student loan payments. I was thinking that I would never have a house of my own, no matter what I did. Thanks so much for that link! I am going to call my lender tomorrow! Woo Hoo!!

ETA: I also meant to share that I found an insane deal on my favorite granola bars. I almost never buy them, but the Fiber One bars make me so insanely happy, but they usually cost almost $4 a box. They are on sale at my local grocery store for $2.50 and if you buy $30 worth, you get $15 off your next purchase (no minimum purchase). So, I bought $30 today and got the coupon and am going back tomorrow to buy $30 more and only pay $15. That ends up being $1.25 a box. Yippee! Stocking up!

Formerly single Mama to the zaniest boy on the block, born on my birthday on 3/28/07. Soon to be Mama to a new little and can't wait to bfinfant.gif and femalesling.GIF and familybed1.gif again! 
#184 of 325 Old 11-12-2009, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpkin_Pie View Post
Holy Smokes, I think I qualify for this program!!!! I owe over $55K and just started working full time as a teacher for the YMCA childcare. They are a non-profit, and on the link above, the qualifiers all seem to look like my job fits right in. I was thinking I was going to be paying on my student loans until I die. I can't believe I might be able to pay them off eventually! Woo Hoo! 10 years is a long time from now, but at least it might actually happen!
How long have you been paying on your loans, if you don't mind me asking?

I know when I consolidated recently under the same program {but 25 year instead of 10 as I don't qualify for that} I was told that the year I'd already been paying counted towards the 25 years.

Me, 29, Muslim hijab.gif single mama to T age 7 energy.gif We homeschool.gif saynovax.giffambedsingle1.gif and Love it!
#185 of 325 Old 11-12-2009, 10:42 PM

I haven't paid anything on my loans in a few years due to being unemployed/underemployed/etc. I used the financial hardship deferrment and the unemployement deferrment for the past almost three years. I just started working full time two weeks ago, so will go back into repayment in a month or two. I definitely don't have any payments that qualify, but that is ok. I am just glad to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Formerly single Mama to the zaniest boy on the block, born on my birthday on 3/28/07. Soon to be Mama to a new little and can't wait to bfinfant.gif and femalesling.GIF and familybed1.gif again! 
#186 of 325 Old 11-12-2009, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpkin_Pie View Post
I haven't paid anything on my loans in a few years due to being unemployed/underemployed/etc. I used the financial hardship deferrment and the unemployement deferrment for the past almost three years. I just started working full time two weeks ago, so will go back into repayment in a month or two. I definitely don't have any payments that qualify, but that is ok. I am just glad to see the light at the end of the tunnel.
Might be worth asking - I think part of mine {just a few months} was deferred too.

#187 of 325 Old 11-13-2009, 04:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waiting2bemommy View Post
Just wanted to update and say I GOT THE JOB!!!!

I am SO excited.
I'm so excited for you! YAY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaingirl79 View Post
Also I have some other good news..I got news today about a possible job interview next week.
Wishing you good job getting vibes!

Hi mamas!
I found out I'll be getting a pell grant and I will be able to go back to school next semester.
Dh and I have already planned our classes.. but we have to wait to register. Hopefully, if we get what we want, we'll have 3 classes together.

Saamy Student mama to  superhero.gifand hearts.gifand babyf.gif

#188 of 325 Old 11-13-2009, 05:45 AM

YAY for job interviews and loan deferrments, going back to school and food-stamp-day

I am amazingly still pregnant Really I'm not surprised much, but it's so frustrating. I took a few work assignments the other day, and now I feel silly having to go in for a minute, cause I know everyone will be like "you're STILL pregnant?!"

I know about the acupressure points, and I've been taking EPO, labor herbs, the whole nine yards. I'm like 4cm and having plenty of contractions. This is just my body's way of doing things--i'm a procrastinator

So get this. I see that my student loans have been applied to my school, but no pell grant. I thought maybe it was just late or something, so I emailed and finally got a response today. Apparently....something about switching schools mid-year and a partial Pell was given to the other school....and they said that the new school doesn't get the rest of my pell unless i specifically ask them to send it to them--?!? Madness. I said YES i would like them to apply the rest of my pell towards my tuition. I guess the government just hoped I wouldn't ask and would use up all my loan money instead?

well anyway. i will post when this kid finally decides to make an entrance. i am very cranky and antisocial, but i do love the support of this thread {{{}}}

Freethinking Earth-mama of five. uc.jpg

#189 of 325 Old 11-13-2009, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satori View Post
They expect you to pay for your own background check? That's a huge red flag! Its the employers responsibility to pay for a background check, not the employees. It should not cost you a dime to get a job outside of buying clothes/shoes. I would be worried about working for them and it doesn't sound right that they would require a background check on a regular employee and not a seasonal one.
I had to pay for mine when I got a job with the school district.

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#190 of 325 Old 11-13-2009, 01:32 PM

Krytsal- How many weeks are you?

stillheart.gif The Hippie & the Marine stillheart.gif  hh2.gif
My boys: S (4) & O (2) & Expecting #3 in Dec. 2011

#191 of 325 Old 11-13-2009, 02:58 PM

Lurker who wanted to comment on two things:

Many places now require you to pay for your own background check and/or fingerprinting. This is to weed out people who may not be seriously applying, etc. I know dh had to pay for his fingerprinting to substitute in the school district where I teach when he lost his job.

Also, I had student loans through the Carl Perkins loan program while in college. I had all of them written off after teaching for 5 years in a disadvantaged school or teaching special ed (for those first 5 years of teaching I was doing both- special ed AT a disadvantaged school). I simply submitted paperwork each May showing that I had completed a year of schooling- it was actually 20% a year- which can be helpfull even if someone doesn't complete the pay off program. It was such a relief to have $15K in loans wiped away!!!
#192 of 325 Old 11-13-2009, 03:53 PM

We would qualify for the student loan thing too.. DH wants to find a permenant federal job, so that would be a huge bonus to get his student loans taken off. If I get my job back at WIC I would qualify too, I think. I don't have time to go back to work right now though, and DS2 won't take a bottle.

Here is our happy for the day: I am almost done Xmas shopping for my whole family (minus the extended family, but we are drawing names this year so it will be less of a burden to get gifts for them). Also, we got a $10 gift card to Kohls in the mail yesterday (from Kohls), and I used it to for PJs for DS1 in Cars® theme (which he will love) and today I am going to get him his big tonka truck with the $10 toys r us GC from the hasbro deal and it's on sale for $10 off, so it will only cost me $10! The only thing I have left is one thing for the baby and I am DONE!!!

#193 of 325 Old 11-13-2009, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzyQ View Post
Krytsal- How many weeks are you?
41w2d is the mws' best guess, but really it's possible i'm even later than that. Claire came at 43w tho, and apparently so did I I just take forever to do birth, heh.

I can't believe you are DONE with xmas shopping already!!--?? I guess I grew up so spoiled that the gift-giving aspect of the holidays just makes me grinchy, because I can't spent tons of $$ the way my parents always did. I look forward to holiday cooking and baking (foodstamps covers that), but the present-buying just makes me feel bleah. Even crafts--I can't go into hobby lobby without wishing I could drop a grand in there! My mother's idea of a minimalist christmas is a mind-blowingly outrageous splurge to us--so she ALWAYS upstages me on presents for my own kids anyone else feel like that??

Freethinking Earth-mama of five. uc.jpg

#194 of 325 Old 11-13-2009, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krystal323 View Post
41w2d is the mws' best guess, but really it's possible i'm even later than that. Claire came at 43w tho, and apparently so did I I just take forever to do birth, heh.

I can't believe you are DONE with xmas shopping already!!--?? I guess I grew up so spoiled that the gift-giving aspect of the holidays just makes me grinchy, because I can't spent tons of $$ the way my parents always did. I look forward to holiday cooking and baking (foodstamps covers that), but the present-buying just makes me feel bleah. Even crafts--I can't go into hobby lobby without wishing I could drop a grand in there! My mother's idea of a minimalist christmas is a mind-blowingly outrageous splurge to us--so she ALWAYS upstages me on presents for my own kids anyone else feel like that??
I sold diapers and maternity clothes for most of my Xmas shopping money. I think I've spent only about $50 out of pocket (most stuff I got with paypal). We keep our presents to 4 gifts each (something you want, something you need, something to play with, something to read), plus some new PJs for winter solstice. This year we're doing stockings too, but I am putting needed clothes in those (a couple shirts for the boys, and new undies for the dh).

#195 of 325 Old 11-13-2009, 07:00 PM

We are making the kids' presents this year, or most of them, anyway. We're planning to make a wooden kitchen for the both of them to share. I'm also going to put a trunk of dress up clothes together, although that is mostly for DD, because she LOVES to play dress up. DD is also going to get some kind of bed for her dolls (maybe a cloth bassinet, or maybe wood, depending on if we have wood left over from the kitchen)

The only thing I HAVE to buy DS is a Transformer, because he has been asking for one for six months. I have no idea how much one is, so I hope it's not much!
#196 of 325 Old 11-14-2009, 10:27 AM

hi mamas...

congratulations on jobs and interviews, grants and fs.....

i am stressed over a job for ME i think i am out of unemployment....all my extensions....everything. well, i have 2 weeks left. i think i am going to ask 7-11 to hire me i just need work.

christmas

oh well....it will be okay.

proverbs 29:7 the righteous care about justice for the poor, but the wicked have no such concern.

#197 of 325 Old 11-14-2009, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenelopeJune View Post
We are making the kids' presents this year, or most of them, anyway. We're planning to make a wooden kitchen for the both of them to share. I'm also going to put a trunk of dress up clothes together, although that is mostly for DD, because she LOVES to play dress up. DD is also going to get some kind of bed for her dolls (maybe a cloth bassinet, or maybe wood, depending on if we have wood left over from the kitchen)

The only thing I HAVE to buy DS is a Transformer, because he has been asking for one for six months. I have no idea how much one is, so I hope it's not much!
I probably will get a transformer for my boy, too.. he's been groaning about it as well. There should be tons of black friday sales on them.. they are everywhere!
LizzyQ- wow! I haven't gotten anything for christmas yet.. I have plans.. just no funding.. looks like I should get to crafting something!

Edie'smom- Hope you can find some work!

I sold our leaf blower yesterday, made $140.. that will get the water bill covered, but I think we are out of heating oil, either that or something is broken b/c we bought alot of oil last year, thinking it would last us through this winter..
right now its getting cold!
Going in to work today.. yawn. Nothing much else new here.. kids are good..

Saamy Student mama to  superhero.gifand hearts.gifand babyf.gif

#198 of 325 Old 11-14-2009, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbond View Post
Have you looked into the new loan repayment programs offered by the government? http://www.ibrinfo.org/

Not only is the repayment amount capped while you make payments to a manageable part of your income (and in some cases, the payment can be $0) BUT also if you work for the government, a non-profit, or as a TEACHER, you can have your loans forgiven after 10 years.
Thanks for the info!!! I am not working right now, but when I do it will more than likely be for a non profit and DH is working for a non profit school right now, so we are def going to look into this!

Quote:

LOVE this : ) mostly because I love playing kitchen/play food and can't wait until DS is old enough to love it too Our DS is only 6mo but DH and I have agreed to no new gifts for anyone this year. I feel really good about this- less pressure/stress/consumerism. I'm making apple butter for our families and found a wooden infant sled on craigslist for DS, as for DH, I've been eyeing this super funky tribal mask at the antique shop down town...it's $20 so it would probably be the only thing he gets, but I think he would totally love it

Dirt worshiping, creatress Mama to Rowan and Alden - home birth loving, no circ, no vax, extended breast feeding, cloth diapering, baby wearing, cosleeping

#199 of 325 Old 11-14-2009, 09:07 PM

We're thinking of making a wooden kitchen for the boys this year as well. I can tell you that, having grown up with over the top Christmases and very understated Christmases- it never mattered much to me. It was important to me that we have the normal Christmas rituals more... with my own kids, I've tried to foster the same thing. DD looks forward most to putting out reindeer feed on Christmas Eve, an seeing if they took any bites of the apple or carrot she put out for a treat... Also, on Christmas Eve she gets new pajammas and a new book (most books for her are from the thrift stores, so it may only be a 25 cent book, really...) then there's the cocoa and an extra cookie before bed, just to make sur they came out ok...

Stockings are usually filled with very small /necessary things socks, underwear, ALWAYS a huge orange in the toe... a couple years ago I started putting 'Magic Apples' in as well- essentially, the biggest and most impressive looking apple I could find- she loves it, and she loves creating the stories around the magic apples and the helpful elves who knew just what she needed (warm socks or a pair of gloves) even though she understands that 'Santa' isn't going to steal down the chimney... she loves being a part of the magic.
#200 of 325 Old 11-14-2009, 09:10 PM

Oh, and extended family is getting inexpensive homemade gifts this year. DD is making everyone bat salts, I'm making a couple varieties of jellies, and since everyone in our family has dogs, we're making up liver treats for them as well.
#201 of 325 Old 11-15-2009, 02:15 PM

I've also come up with another Christmas idea for DS. He is in LOVE with the idea of being a mailman someday. (He was even a mailman for Halloween.) So we are going to get him a mailbox (a real one, not a toy) and I've made him some envelopes out of felt. I'm going to write him notes and bills and cards, and my mom is going to laminate them at the library she works at. The felt envelopes were really easy, I just used some cheapo stuff I already had, sewed on a mailing label, address label, and stamp. (Just cut squares and rectangles out of a different color felt. I didn't put actual addresses on, they are blank.) I need to find some velcro I have somewhere, and then I'll sew velcro tabs on the flaps so that they close. (Ooh! I just had an epiphany. I could make the 'stamps' with velcro tabs, too, so he can affix them to the envelope. Yay for brain waves!)

Another cheapo idea I had: I have some really soft fleece , and I'm going to cut it to make scarves out of. I also know that you can get fleece, usually, on a major sale on Black Friday. In Martha Stewarts magazine,(the August '09 issue, page 45 if you want to find it yourself) I saw directions for making little flowers out of suede, but I'll use felt, and sewing them on a pillow, to make a 3-D effect. Anyway, I'll attatch these little flowers on the fleece scarves for decoration. And ouila! Presents for people for about $.25 - .50 each. Yay!

Anyway, just thought I'd share some really cheap ideas for gifts if anyone needed any ideas.
#202 of 325 Old 11-15-2009, 02:27 PM

I wish I were more crafty!

Today is FS day (Weird that it is a Sunday, I was hoping they'd deposit my EBT yesterday)

I am going to go to Costco to stock up too, I am sooooooo glad they take FS now!

#203 of 325 Old 11-15-2009, 04:20 PM

Quote:
I've also come up with another Christmas idea for DS. He is in LOVE with the idea of being a mailman someday. (He was even a mailman for Halloween.) So we are going to get him a mailbox (a real one, not a toy) and I've made him some envelopes out of felt. I'm going to write him notes and bills and cards, and my mom is going to laminate them at the library she works at. The felt envelopes were really easy, I just used some cheapo stuff I already had, sewed on a mailing label, address label, and stamp. (Just cut squares and rectangles out of a different color felt. I didn't put actual addresses on, they are blank.) I need to find some velcro I have somewhere, and then I'll sew velcro tabs on the flaps so that they close. (Ooh! I just had an epiphany. I could make the 'stamps' with velcro tabs, too, so he can affix them to the envelope. Yay for brain waves!)

Another cheapo idea I had: I have some really soft fleece , and I'm going to cut it to make scarves out of. I also know that you can get fleece, usually, on a major sale on Black Friday. In Martha Stewarts magazine,(the August '09 issue, page 45 if you want to find it yourself) I saw directions for making little flowers out of suede, but I'll use felt, and sewing them on a pillow, to make a 3-D effect. Anyway, I'll attatch these little flowers on the fleece scarves for decoration. And ouila! Presents for people for about $.25 - .50 each. Yay!

Anyway, just thought I'd share some really cheap ideas for gifts if anyone needed any ideas.
Here are a few felt mailboxes that you can use for ideas:
http://www.livingplaying.com/bk001.html
http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php...ng_id=34537249 (a pattern if you're so inclined)

I like the laminated mail idea. DS has some laminated mail and laminated envelopes that he can play mail with. The picture on the stamp matches the card, so they work as a matching game. Very cute.
#204 of 325 Old 11-15-2009, 04:32 PM

Ooh, thanks for those links, HappyLittleHouse! I'm planning to get a real mailbox, but if those turn out to be more expensive than I thought, I might see about making a felt box. And the Etsy link gave me a great idea for a package filled with goodies to go with the mail set. Thanks again!!!
#205 of 325 Old 11-15-2009, 05:22 PM - Thread Starter

Hi everyone,

I'm very relaxed today while I watch my girls playing. My son is outside playing with a new friend (football, but not tag style). Everyone is happy to do something that I don't have to do for them, so I am really enjoying the break, and just watching them be more independent today.

I have some great news, but I need to not post it here, just in case my ex or someone involved with him is reading. So PM me to find out.

We are enjoying the very temperate fall weather too. Hope all of you are doing well now. (I haven't read any posts yet). My car is having some problems, but I can't take it in be looked at until I get back from out of town, where I am going for a memorial service for my brother in law's sister. The mechanic will take a look at it on Wednesday. I hope it isn't too expensive.

Jyotsna

Vegetarian Hindu, mother to L,P and R. 
#206 of 325 Old 11-15-2009, 07:48 PM

Hi Mamas! I posted last month and I have been reading along this month, but haven't posted sooooo here we go!! A little re-introduction *drum roll* I am a sahm (have been since March) with not a nibble at an application in site! Dh's hours have been, but we are glad he is still working!! Had a scare a week ago Friday--thought I was having a heart attack, and ended up in the ER and had a lovely overnight stay in the hospital. Good thing was, not a heart attack, although my heart enzimes were elevated, but my thyroid way outta wack! Went and saw my Endo this week and yep, my thyroid is not in a good way, so I started on meds for that--oh joy, more meds on top of my diabetes and blood pressure stuff AND being low income!! But I started the meds on Thursday.

Since money has been getting tighter and tighter since March and really tight since summer, we have really trimmed our spending. Our food budget used to be $150 every 2 weeks, but in the past 2 months, that has been squeezed to $120 a month, for 4. Even with the cut in pay, we do not qualify for FS, wic (No children under 6) and we make just over what it would be for free/reduced meals for the kids at school. We are just above the upper limits for all services . Soooo I thought I would share my shopping list for this week--just shopped a few hours ago. This is mostly for lunch and dinner, as breakfast is either cream of wheat (bulk bins) or oatbran (again, bulk bins). I also bake our bread (most times). Once a month, I buy a pound each of the hot cereals, and we do get our onions and potaotes at costco.

1 1lb bag frozen green beans $.88
1 1lb bag frozen petite peas $.88
1 loaf of whole wheat bread $1.48 (cheated today!)
International orange latte mix (my splurge) $2.72
1 lb wide egg noodles $1.38
Cup O noodles (4) $1.12 (my lunches this week)
Stroganoff mix $.88
Swedish Meatball mix $.88
2 1lb chubs of ground meat $2.50--were 1.25 each
1/2 gallon milk $1.48
1 lb butter (unsalted) $1.50
1 pack hotdogs $.77
2 boxes mac n cheese $1.44
Fresh crimini mushrooms, 3/4 lb $2.06
2.9 lbs yellow onions 1.10
Medium jar natural peanut butter (can't do sugar or HFCS) 2.98
8 oz tub sour cream $1.07
16 oz jar apple butter 1.74

non-food
dish soap $.88
TP 2.00

Grand total--31.98
sales tax $.21

Not too bad.... the cup o noodles for 4 lunches for me, I will end up baking bread this week, because 1 loaf won't make it. PNB and apple butter sandwiches for kids and hubby. Stroganoff and Swedish meatballs should both last 2 days for dinner. Mac n cheese for emergancy meal--we had mac n cheese with hotdogs and peas for our lunch today. Mushrooms go in the stroganoff to stretch it a bit, and to sneak in veg. I do have 2 boxes of frozen spinach--1 will get used tonight.

Note--not looking for pity, just amazed that I am able to feed so many on so little. 2 weeks ago, I got 2 chickens for $8.50. Roasted them, stripped the meat off and we got 8 meals (for 4 people) outta those chickens. 5 were chicken salad, creamed chicken, etc., 3 were in a HUGE pot of cabbage soup last week. I always make stock outta the bones, and I made 8 qts of stock, 5 that went into soups and 3 still in the freezer. I have certianly learned to be creative!!!!

Married to my best friend mom to dd (16) , DSS (15) and expecting our LO after 6 years!
#207 of 325 Old 11-15-2009, 08:03 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I dont have alot of time to write, maybe tonight, I just wanted to say the planets are definately NOT aligned this month. While I had the job at the grocery there was no strike so in the end, no job.... I had 2 days of subbing last week, (was called for 3 and the lovely district cancelled the 3rd day).

I think I'm falling back into depressing... ugh.

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#208 of 325 Old 11-15-2009, 08:25 PM

Hugs heading your way Zebra15... that is the pits!

Married to my best friend mom to dd (16) , DSS (15) and expecting our LO after 6 years!
#209 of 325 Old 11-15-2009, 08:30 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra15 View Post
I dont have alot of time to write, maybe tonight, I just wanted to say the planets are definately NOT aligned this month. While I had the job at the grocery there was no strike so in the end, no job.... I had 2 days of subbing last week, (was called for 3 and the lovely district cancelled the 3rd day).

I think I'm falling back into depressing... ugh.

Seriously?
#210 of 325 Old 11-15-2009, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagare View Post

Since money has been getting tighter and tighter since March and really tight since summer, we have really trimmed our spending. Our food budget used to be $150 every 2 weeks, but in the past 2 months, that has been squeezed to $120 a month, for 4. Even with the cut in pay, we do not qualify for FS, wic (No children under 6) and we make just over what it would be for free/reduced meals for the kids at school. We are just above the upper limits for all services . Soooo I thought I would share my shopping list for this week--just shopped a few hours ago. This is mostly for lunch and dinner, as breakfast is either cream of wheat (bulk bins) or oatbran (again, bulk bins). I also bake our bread (most times). Once a month, I buy a pound each of the hot cereals, and we do get our onions and potaotes at costco.
I am sure you could get an emergency food box at the food bank too, even though you don't qualify for FS or WIC. That might help a little. I haven't needed to get one in a while but it was really easy when I did.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page