November Low Income Thread - Page 9 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#241 of 325 Old 11-19-2009, 03:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You know zebra, now is the time. Landlords are hurting, too, and rentals are just as much of a buyer's market. So it could happen!

Trying to turn hearts and minds toward universal healthcare, one post at a time.
#242 of 325 Old 11-19-2009, 04:04 PM

Hey everyone sorry it has been awhile since I have updated how things are going...

I added up our bills and AHHHHHHH wanted to go run and hide. They ambulance garage wants their $1500, we just barely paid our rent of $500, and then our non-residential property taxes of $400 we still have to pay our car insurance,and phone bills!!

Not to mention we have no heater in our car nor winter tires and winter is approaching so fast.

I have been trying so hard to get my business up and running but can't find the time to do everything.

My heart has been breaking and I feel like sobbing and sobbing.

namaste.gif Practicing medicine Mama to four beautiful children 
#243 of 325 Old 11-19-2009, 08:33 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leta View Post
You know zebra, now is the time. Landlords are hurting, too, and rentals are just as much of a buyer's market. So it could happen!

I was pleasently surprised at how reasonable rent was. I even filled out 2 applications. I am hoping one of them is approved in the next couple days. Rent at the 'country club' apt is 665 for a 2bed 2bath. Rent '*should* be about $1100 for the units... Im crossing my fingers, toes, and everything else that can be crossed. They even have signs up that say 'foreclosure friendly' and 'we work with everyone'. So I felt kinda like a fool but I laid everything out for them, credit issues, the 2 yr old eviction, my low income, but my ability to get $$ to them, how i can prepay, but how I have good current credit, I dont have outstanding debt, just medical bills, etc...(well and the eviction $$), how I am a teacher so I have a clean background etc etc etc. They seemed willing to work with me so I can only hope it happens. Not to metion they had pages and pages of availabe units... but only one ground floor in the size i wanted (lots of upper floors but im not climbing stairs ) I wont be overly depressed if I get declined, I have other places I can try but this place would solve most of my issues and solve them quickly.

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#244 of 325 Old 11-20-2009, 01:52 PM

Hi everyone, just checking in to say things are EXACTLY the same (all screwed up)
Still no job, and I'm walking around the neighborhood daily looking for cans/bottles so I can have gas to go anywhere
Oh well, hope everyone else is doing good

mama to dd1 17yo, ds1 16yo, ds2 13 yo, and dd2 6yo
#245 of 325 Old 11-20-2009, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwat View Post
Hi everyone, just checking in to say things are EXACTLY the same (all screwed up)
Still no job, and I'm walking around the neighborhood daily looking for cans/bottles so I can have gas to go anywhere
Hugs...

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#246 of 325 Old 11-20-2009, 10:01 PM

Thank you zebra

#247 of 325 Old 11-20-2009, 11:22 PM

Quote:
s s

namaste.gif Practicing medicine Mama to four beautiful children 
#248 of 325 Old 11-21-2009, 01:16 AM

just checking in...the new job is going ok, I have way too many kids though (23, with one assistant, and the ratio is 1:10)and there are literally no supplies. Plus my poor ds is there with me from 8:30 to 6 every day because they make me take an hour and 45 minutes in unpaid break time while the kids are napping. Since it's naptime I can't even take ds with me to go walk around or something. Ah well on the first which is only a week and a half away I will have a paycheck in my hand. And they started me at $7.75 which is more than minimum wage so taht's good.

Also my bf (the new baby's daddy) is in GA pounding the pavement and he thinks he found a job yesterday. He is hoping to get paid in time for the big ultrasound scheduled on the 5th or I may have to cancel it and wait til january when I can get it done for free at the community college sonography school. (we're paying out of pocket because I'm having a homebirth). I want to know whether its a boy ro girl bit given the financial situation rgiht now I'm ok with waiting until January. But he is DYING to know now.

Zebra, I hope your situation works out soon. what a stressful spot to be in. Have you checked craigslist? Sometimes under the "rooms for rent" section there are mother-in-law suites that have their own stove/fridge but are cheaper than a real apartment. My situation is escalating as well and I am trying to find another place to go. Apartment vibes for both of us!!!

Very blessed mama to one bouncin' boy bouncy.gif (12/07) one angel3.gif who didn't get to stay (6/09), one potty learning, mess making divaenergy.gif(4/10), and one cheerful milk monster. aabfwoman.gif (12/11) Happy partner to the love of my lifedp_malesling.GIF.  

#249 of 325 Old 11-21-2009, 10:41 PM

Great find on CL today. I was checking out CL while working and found a kitchen table + chairs and a recliner that the guy wanted $20 for. After talking with dh we decided we could manage that this week as long as it was in good condition. We got there and were both happy with the condition of all items so we now have a table and enough chairs for all of us to sit down together and eat! On another good note dh started training for his seasonal job tomorrow afternoon. I've also finally got maternity medicaid started so I can get this little bugger checked out. Hopefully the birth center I want to go to won't think my health and medications I am on risks me out of seeing them. Thankfully the birth center does take medicaid and also does homebirth which I'm hoping for.

Kristina mom to A 1/12 J 11/05 D 4/08 and tiny dude in late April 2010
#250 of 325 Old 11-22-2009, 12:22 AM

yay....babydaddy/bf got a job at dollar tree! Granted it is only minimum wage but he'll be getting a regular paycheck and start sending me money within a few weeks. Even a little money here and there plus the fact that he will also be saving up for us to share the midwife/birth expenses, will help SO MUCH right now.

Now that we are both working I already feel a load lifting, knowing that I won't be doing all the financial stuff alone this time is such a relief.

Very blessed mama to one bouncin' boy bouncy.gif (12/07) one angel3.gif who didn't get to stay (6/09), one potty learning, mess making divaenergy.gif(4/10), and one cheerful milk monster. aabfwoman.gif (12/11) Happy partner to the love of my lifedp_malesling.GIF.  

#251 of 325 Old 11-22-2009, 12:57 PM

Waiting, that's wonderful news
s_kristina, about the table, chairs, and recliner!!!!

Things here are the same.
Today is my DS1's 16th birthday and thanks to a good friend (and being able to return some XBOX 360 games) I was able to get him what he wanted for his birthday!
Now I just have to figure out X-Mas

#252 of 325 Old 11-22-2009, 02:04 PM

Well I guess I should not have said anything about being confused about wanting another baby...I ovulated early this cycle & I am now worried! DH has been so stressed about not having a job he is getting depressed. I am not going to say anything to him until I know for sure because I don't want to add to his stress unless there really is something to add. Is that dishonest? I guess if I am preg then it was just ment to be, but the timeing is really bad.

Cheryl, wife to an amazing man, homeschooling SAHM to Gavin 12/03, Rhys 09/06, and Ian Aug 11, 2010.

#253 of 325 Old 11-22-2009, 04:53 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciascl View Post
Well I guess I should not have said anything about being confused about wanting another baby...I ovulated early this cycle & I am now worried! DH has been so stressed about not having a job he is getting depressed. I am not going to say anything to him until I know for sure because I don't want to add to his stress unless there really is something to add. Is that dishonest? I guess if I am preg then it was just ment to be, but the timeing is really bad.
Honestly I wouldn't even say anything until AF is late

Well mama's I got an interesting offer last night a friend of mine needs help on an out of town job, it pays what to me is an obscene amount of money and in 3 days I could make enough to pay the bills for 3 months. Problem is my 3 yr old, I'm going to call the nursing agency tomorrow and see if maybe we could get a nurse from that city since its a big city and I could just bring her along and have the nurse during the day at his house (he's fine with us staying there) or I could send her to the nursing facility during the day but it makes for a really long day for both of us. I would end up driving 4-5 hours a day plus working 6-7 hours and then get home in time to meet the nurse before they get back from daycare which is a 12-13 hour day. dd already does it 2x a week and LOVES it, I just think its a bit much to be doing back to back days with no "recovery" days in between.

I'd really like to take this job, he's offered it to me before and before we had nursing available it wasn't an option but now we have it so I'd like to see if I can make it work. Even if I had to drive down every day I'd make so much money I could rent a car to get to and from there (about 2 hours away) and it wouldn't be a big deal (my car is a POS I'm worried wouldn't make it). Even if I worked with him only 1-2x a month omg it would solve a lot of my $ stress. I'm going to make some calls tomorrow and talk to my friend and see if we can make it work.

Seriously?
#254 of 325 Old 11-22-2009, 04:59 PM

Satori, see how the nursing situation goes, then GO FOR IT.

#255 of 325 Old 11-22-2009, 07:01 PM

Yay for new furniture and new jobs!

Satori, that sounds exhausting but I probably couldn't pass it up either if I were you--3 days of work for 3 months worth of bills--o heck yea!

cwat, happy b-day to your son!

maciascl, {{{}}}. I was pretty freaked out when I found out about our new one too--my DH had just had to quit his job for health reasons, and we were already drowning in bills and trying desperately to move. The "plan" was for me to get a full-time job and support the family, and get DH health insurance so he could get a proper Dx and recover. None of that worked out of course. His health issues are thankfully, for whatever reason, staying at bay for now (knock on wood), and so we're doing okay at the moment--but only for sheer luck and circumstance.

I don't think it's dishonest at all to withhold a "maybe" that would stress your DH out unnecessarily. Kinder, really, to not tell unless it's a sure thing IMO.

Sending everyone luck and goodvibes ~*~*~*~

Freethinking Earth-mama of five. uc.jpg

#256 of 325 Old 11-22-2009, 07:12 PM

Satori- That sounds great, a little stressful, but if it is only a few days at a time then I say go for it. Good luck!

Thanks for the support! I feel a little better about not saying anything now.

Cheryl, wife to an amazing man, homeschooling SAHM to Gavin 12/03, Rhys 09/06, and Ian Aug 11, 2010.

#257 of 325 Old 11-22-2009, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krystal323 View Post
Satori, that sounds exhausting but I probably couldn't pass it up either if I were you--3 days of work for 3 months worth of bills--o heck yea!
)
No kidding! I can't wrap my brain around making that much money. I called him this morning to nail down details before I start making calls and so help me I'm gonna UAV that man and yes I know thats not MDC like! I was almost asleep myself from melatonin (which for me knocks me out better then a sleeping pill) when he called a MIDNIGHT. I noticed he was calm but didn't notice any dream like quality to his voice so I assumed he hadn't taken his sleep meds, one of which is the famous Ambien (people do all kinds of things while sleeping, including driving). 99% of the time I can tell when he's taken it, he'll often take it right before calling and and not tell me and even as soon as it kicks in I can tell because his voice changes to that dreamy quality iykwim. He didn't even remember calling me last light which is not unusual when he's taken his meds. I've had some fun with him not remembering conversations or even calling me to begin with. On a regular basis I get the "umm did I call you last night?" kinda calls because he saw my number on the recent calls list.

He was in the middle of a job when I called and said he'd call me back later (he told me enough on that call that I'm positive I did not dream his call since he repeated the same stuff from the night before in very brief detail) but since he doesn't remember the call I'm on the fence about asking him about the job and the offer to go stay at his condo for a week in Vegas (he asks me every year but we haven't gone a several years due to $$ issues, considering how much money he's made in the past 3 weeks I have no qualms letting him pay for a week in vegas He made more in the past 3 weeks that I have gotten in the past YEAR and more in the past year then I have IN MY LIFE. Seriously, an extra $100 for us in Vegas is nothing to him at this point and yes, I'm well aware of his financial situation so trust me, its nothing to him these days)

Anyway, he's made a lot of various offers over the years while under the influence of the Ambien and not remembered it and I never bring it up since I know he tends to only say that stuff when he's out of it and he tends to spill his guts about things he normally wouldn't if "sober". He's invited me all over the place, San Francisco, Canada, Disney World in Florida, Vegas, all places he was going and would love for us to come along but I always turn him down for a whole bunch of reasons and he only tends to do it while drugged. I don't want to make him feel bad and forced to take us for an offer I know he won't even remember giving even if I know he would be fine with us coming along but this is work and not a vacation, well the vegas this is vacation but I want the work!

I'll talk to him about the work, I know the Vegas thing would come up at work anyway so I'll wait but man, I NEED that work!

Seriously?
#258 of 325 Old 11-23-2009, 01:55 PM

Oh, man.
Hi, mamas I'm joining this thread.
I just went down to the food stamp office to recertify and LOST our food stamps. That was nearly $600 a month. I am trying not to freak out and dp is doing well about it, so far. But I am going to HAVE to figure out a way to start making some money immediately. Or we are going to have to make some major changes, maybe move...
I am feeling very panicky right now.

Mama to 3 boys 

#259 of 325 Old 11-23-2009, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms.shell View Post
Oh, man.
Hi, mamas I'm joining this thread.
I just went down to the food stamp office to recertify and LOST our food stamps. That was nearly $600 a month. I am trying not to freak out and dp is doing well about it, so far. But I am going to HAVE to figure out a way to start making some money immediately. Or we are going to have to make some major changes, maybe move...
I am feeling very panicky right now.
Hugs to you.... but wondering why you lost fs? did your income increase that dramatically to have them cut all fs?

#260 of 325 Old 11-23-2009, 03:10 PM

OMC, OMC, OMC, OMC, OMC, OMC, OMC, OMC, OMC, OMC, OMC, OMC

I went on-line this morning (job hunting ) and I found a posting for a cafeteria cashier from Sunday. So I went down there and filled out the application, then had to wait a little bit for the interviewer (it was lunchtime)
Anyway, turns out they are usually a 4 person operation but they are a person short. They need another person ASAP! The hours are Mon-Fri 9a-2:30p (could turn into 8a-2:30p) and the pay is $8.50. Ron (the interviewer) said he will be making his decision by Tuesday night.

Send good luck vibes my way, please, I could really use this job

#261 of 325 Old 11-23-2009, 03:18 PM

Quote:
OMC, OMC, OMC, OMC, OMC, OMC, OMC, OMC, OMC, OMC, OMC, OMC

I went on-line this morning (job hunting ) and I found a posting for a cafeteria cashier from Sunday. So I went down there and filled out the application, then had to wait a little bit for the interviewer (it was lunchtime)
Anyway, turns out they are usually a 4 person operation but they are a person short. They need another person ASAP! The hours are Mon-Fri 9a-2:30p (could turn into 8a-2:30p) and the pay is $8.50. Ron (the interviewer) said he will be making his decision by Tuesday night.

Send good luck vibes my way, please, I could really use this job

Good luck! BTW, I am curious what OMC is? I think mine would be OMU 'oh my Universe'

#262 of 325 Old 11-23-2009, 04:10 PM

good luck!!

....i have a friend that types out "oh em gee" instead of OMG

Freethinking Earth-mama of five. uc.jpg

#263 of 325 Old 11-23-2009, 06:03 PM

It means Oh My Claude

#264 of 325 Old 11-23-2009, 09:20 PM

Quote:
It means Oh My Claude
That is cute!

#265 of 325 Old 11-24-2009, 05:19 PM

I want to cry, I am going to cry. As many of you know I sub, on occassion for the school district, when they dont cancel my hours. Well its been about 2x a week but when I got looking at my bank accout the deposits have shown 1x a week.... So I sit down and line things up... IM MISSING $$$... I call payroll and yes I had this problem last year... payroll is manual and it all depens on when the individual school gets the tiny slip sent in to payroll. Miss Attitude at payroll can't help me, this isnt her problem, I just have to wait for the little slips to get there and hopefully they can pay me in TWO more weeks... ummm ma'am you see my unemployment is based on what I tell them I make, my FS are based on that, EVERYTHING is based on what I tell them is coming in....If you aren't paying me correctly I can get more assistance... Plus this is a major shopping week and I NEED MONEY... I really just want to cry. This is so making me not want to work for this particular district. I know there are only a few weeks of school between now and xmas break, then I'm headed to student teach so the $$ is a necessity but the stress is almost not worth it. Between calling me for work at night then cancelling it at 530am, not getting payroll correct and the snotty attitude of the staff I almost dont need this headache. UGH.

Someone please tell me this is normal for payroll.?? So help me if I have to go to payroll to pick up a check...it's going to take all my patience not to go 'postal' on them. This lack of accountability is unacceptable.

#266 of 325 Old 11-24-2009, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra15 View Post
I want to cry, I am going to cry. As many of you know I sub, on occassion for the school district, when they dont cancel my hours. Well its been about 2x a week but when I got looking at my bank accout the deposits have shown 1x a week.... So I sit down and line things up... IM MISSING $$$... I call payroll and yes I had this problem last year... payroll is manual and it all depens on when the individual school gets the tiny slip sent in to payroll. Miss Attitude at payroll can't help me, this isnt her problem, I just have to wait for the little slips to get there and hopefully they can pay me in TWO more weeks... ummm ma'am you see my unemployment is based on what I tell them I make, my FS are based on that, EVERYTHING is based on what I tell them is coming in....If you aren't paying me correctly I can get more assistance... Plus this is a major shopping week and I NEED MONEY... I really just want to cry. This is so making me not want to work for this particular district. I know there are only a few weeks of school between now and xmas break, then I'm headed to student teach so the $$ is a necessity but the stress is almost not worth it. Between calling me for work at night then cancelling it at 530am, not getting payroll correct and the snotty attitude of the staff I almost dont need this headache. UGH.

Someone please tell me this is normal for payroll.?? So help me if I have to go to payroll to pick up a check...it's going to take all my patience not to go 'postal' on them. This lack of accountability is unacceptable.
Is there another district you can sub for?

Anyone know how to get a new twin mattress for free? DD's mattress is about 25 years old and I just layed on the thing and while she says it's comfy that just can't be good for her. It was still in really good shape last time I layed on it about a year ago but its really broken down this past year, I think I can blame that on dd's constant jumping on the bed Its probably time to get my 3.5 yr old her own bed too soon. I dread looking at prices, I bought my queen 10 years ago that was a $1k bed that I think I paid $700 for it and I had a good paying job at the time and remember cringing at paying that much but I was tired of sleeping on a blow up bed in my apt. Figured if I was going to buy a bed I better get a good one so it lasts.

Any thoughts on how much a new twin will cost if I need to buy one at some point? (thinking tax return money or SSI $ if were lucky)

Seriously?
#267 of 325 Old 11-24-2009, 09:04 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satori View Post
Any thoughts on how much a new twin will cost if I need to buy one at some point? (thinking tax return money or SSI $ if were lucky)
If you have a habitat home store they might have them cheap - I know ours sells them for $70 for mattress only, and they are okay mattresses - not great, but not terrible.

Some of our thrift shops have mattresses too - we got a wonderful temperpedic mattress that was used, but sanitized, for just $125 in a queen size a few years ago. Nothing wrong with it - the owner had pinned a note to it saying it was only a year old, but he was being deployed and didn't want to put it in storage.

Me, 29, Muslim hijab.gif single mama to T age 7 energy.gif We homeschool.gif saynovax.giffambedsingle1.gif and Love it!
#268 of 325 Old 11-24-2009, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frugalmama View Post
If you have a habitat home store they might have them cheap - I know ours sells them for $70 for mattress only, and they are okay mattresses - not great, but not terrible.

Some of our thrift shops have mattresses too - we got a wonderful temperpedic mattress that was used, but sanitized, for just $125 in a queen size a few years ago. Nothing wrong with it - the owner had pinned a note to it saying it was only a year old, but he was being deployed and didn't want to put it in storage.
I know a local thrift store used to sell the sanitized ones but I dunno, kinda creeped me out to sleep on a bed that could have all kinds of nasties on it plus not knowing if it came from the home of a smoker or someone with pets which would set off dd's asthma. I just looked at walmarts website and they have memory foam mattresses with good ratings for $170. dd loves the 2 inch topper I gave her after the 3 yr old was born (I LOVE hard beds but man, I was in to much pain while prego, had to get the topper). That seems pretty reasonable but I have no idea how long they last and stuff. I'll look into it later, for now I need to eat

Am I the only one who does long term planning for what they want/need to buy? I'll look months in advance and figure out what I want so when I finally get the money I'm not impulse buying but feels weird to be talking about buying a mattress when I'm broke.

Seriously?
#269 of 325 Old 11-24-2009, 09:49 PM

Satori, for kids mattress I shop at reg. mattress stores. It seems in my city they are on every corner. My sons twin mattress was about $200, its not great but it's probably not making the move if we leave this city. Do you have something like Mattress firm, or Mattress factory in your area? With the end of the year coming it should be huge sales time.

#270 of 325 Old 11-24-2009, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra15 View Post
Satori, for kids mattress I shop at reg. mattress stores. It seems in my city they are on every corner. My sons twin mattress was about $200, its not great but it's probably not making the move if we leave this city. Do you have something like Mattress firm, or Mattress factory in your area? With the end of the year coming it should be huge sales time.
Not in this small town but they probably do down in the city.

Seriously?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page