Mothering's "Frugal Holiday Gift Ideas" Contest - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 70 Old 11-18-2009, 05:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Two things I'm doing this year...

Homemade sugar scrubs that I put into beautiful cruets that I found at a garage sale. Homemeade tags made with my Cricut machine and tied onto the bottles. The second thing I am making are photo cubes made out of wooden block scraps from my hubby's stash. Spray painted black, and decoupage photos of my kids onto them.

These gifts cost next to nothing!

Busy Mama to three beautiful girls and loving wife to my hubby
#62 of 70 Old 11-18-2009, 05:20 PM

If traveling for the holidays, be mindful that certain dates of travel now carry a hefty surcharge when purchasing airline tickets. If you can travel the morning of the actual holiday (Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years), you can get up to 75% off the cost of a ticket. Don't set your dates in stone... with flexibility, you can get some very deep discounts on your holiday travel.
#63 of 70 Old 11-18-2009, 07:19 PM

So have you ever found some old wallpaper sample books at your parents or grandparents house? I sure did! I just found 10 wallpaper sample books and will be using those this year for wrapping presents instead of buying wrapping paper! The designs are great, especially one in particular that I found with a bunch of flannel prints! I live in VT! It goes perfectly!
#64 of 70 Old 11-18-2009, 07:27 PM

Last year I made aprons with remnant fabric I already had including sheets that had seen better days. After cutting the good sides off of the sheets I was able to make 4 aprons per sheet - put that with a receipe card of a dish I knew the recipient loved (different ones for different people) and a jar of homemade spice rub (in recycled glass jars) and put all in a canvas grocery bag (Whole foods sold their cloth ones for $1 for a day last year and i stocked up).

Looking through this list already posted - great ideas for this year! Thanks!
#65 of 70 Old 11-18-2009, 07:45 PM

My 2.5 year old son is enjoying painting small wooden cut-outs of stars and snowflakes with silver, gold, yellow, white and blue paints. We are using Daddy's drill to make a small hole in the top of each one, and hanging them with a ribbon. The supplies for 20 cost about $6 at a local craft store, have given him hours of painting pleasure, and will cheer friends and family this year and for years to come when they see them on their trees.
#66 of 70 Old 11-18-2009, 11:19 PM

I keep a list of everyone I need to shop for in the back of my day planner, then I can shop sales year round and find the perfect gift without the holiday rush. Although, the most frugal gifts I've given have been homemade and upcycled. In years past I've made trivets made out of wine bottle corks and coasters made from board games that were missing pieces and from felted wool sweaters from the thrift store. Last year we gave my mother a set of framed artwork. We bought 6 8x10 frames from the dollar store and cut out and matted the pictures from an old calendar. This year we are using the burned out mini light bulbs from last years colored light strands to make ornaments. Take the bulbs, glue them into a styrofoam sphere from the craft store and add a ribbon to hang with!

shamrocksmile.gifAmber SAHM Fiber Artist Mom to:knit.gif
Maddison (9): Arwen (8): Finn (4): Aedan (2)

stork-suprise.gif Sept 2012

#67 of 70 Old 11-19-2009, 09:42 AM

The best thing I've learned for frugal gift-giving (for children) is costumes! Every year, after halloween, I wait until the costumes go down to about 10%-25% of the original cost (meaning they end up costing less than $5 per costume). Then I purchase new costumes to give to my children, nieces, nephews, etc., for their costume/dress-up boxes! The kids LOVE seeing what new costumes they get. Everything from pirates to doctors, jedi knights, princesses, and everything in between. It's a big hit and is VERY inexpensive!

Jesus-loving wife to my best friend and love of my life , mama to my boys and and our little one, who was blessed enough to go straight into the arms of God (11/09)
#68 of 70 Old 11-19-2009, 10:08 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I love to sew and often have bits of fabric to use up. This year, I am making everyone a set of cloth napkins using fabric from my stash as well as some great vintage fabric I found second-hand. Each napkin takes a few minutes to stitch together, so this has been a great project to work on while the children are playing, the baby is napping, or I simply have 10 minutes to work. My eight year old daughter has been learning to sew and has done a few for her grandmothers. They will love them.

Frugal, food growing mama to my four loves

#69 of 70 Old 11-25-2009, 09:45 PM - Thread Starter

Hi! I apologize for the delay in the announcement of winning selections. I am pleased to announce the following posts that were chosen for inclusion:

12 newspaper
13 raisin bread
16 coloring book
25 garden spices
32 CDs
44 brownie pops
45 gift of time
47 crafting sessions
51 handcrafted letter
53 dishtowel wrapping

Winners will be contacted via PM with subscription instructions. Congratulations! Thanks to everyone for participating!!!! Please be on the lookout over at www.mothering.com for the upcoming Frugal Gifts feature!

Happy (Frugal) Holidays from MDC!!!

I have retired from administration work, so if you have a question about anything MDC-related, please contact Cynthia Mosher. Thanks!

#70 of 70 Old 11-25-2009, 11:52 PM - Thread Starter

In the spirit of the holidays, I also wanted to announce that everyone who entered the contest will receive a free three month Supporting Membership I. Thank you so much for generously sharing your time and tips.

Once you see the Supporting Membership "S" under your username: you can place your avatar and turn your name pink if you wish:

Quote:
Supporting Member I
  • Place a 100X100 pixel avatar image below your username (no larger than 8 kb and non-animated)
  • Use unlimited smilies within your two-line signature
  • Change your user title via your User CP
  • PM inbox capacity of up to 500 private messages
  • Share up to 50 photos in your photo album
  • All supporting memberships entitle you to unlimited selling privileges in the MDC Trading Post
Please Note: Supporting Membership packages do not allow for signature advertising. Signature advertising must be purchased separately (see above). Once your subscription has been processed and you see “S” under your username, go to your User CP, click on Group Memberships and turn yourself pink. Thanks for your support of MDC!
Please PM me with any questions

I have retired from administration work, so if you have a question about anything MDC-related, please contact Cynthia Mosher. Thanks!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page