Your average kilowatt-hour (kWh) usage? Anyone care to post theirs?? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 107 Old 11-30-2009, 11:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SleeplessMommy View Post
USA has very low electric rates compared with many other countries. (Though some states such as Hawaii can have 35-cents per KWH.) Good for the pocketbook, but higher rates would encourage more conservation.
Absolutely.. I remember when I lived in California, I had a 1br apt with a flat rate for electric of 50$ a month. You bet I kept that a/c on like a mad woman! Now, with .17p/kWh I am very much keeping an eye on air conditioner use, as well as I no longer use a clothes dryer, to keep my bill at just over 100 a month!

Pagan  lovin'  WOW playing mum to 5 boys in the wonderful land of Oz ... FOR THE HORDE! hehehe
#62 of 107 Old 12-01-2009, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberMama View Post
Otherwise, I am still sure a huge suck is the extra freezer. I am so tempted to unplug it. It's old, we only have a couple of things in it on average, though quite a bit of frozen juice. Ack!
I've actually read that freezers operate more efficiently when full than when nearly-empty. Our upright freezer manual even suggested freezing gallon bottles of water to help with efficiency. Maybe try that?
#63 of 107 Old 12-01-2009, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ofwait View Post
6 people in a 1500sqft house.... we average 25 KWH in the winter time... much much lower in the summer... not so many hours with lights on.

Thats with an electric stove, drier, and 2 computers that run 24/7.
Huh, so I'm really baffled now, because we are similar, minus the 2 computers 24/7 (although one that gets a lot of use) and we've never had a month even close to that low.... This thread has me completely flummoxed!
#64 of 107 Old 12-01-2009, 10:03 PM

Do you have electric heat? We have gas.

C wife to J, Mom to B, C and Jjumpers.gif Iblahblah.gif, and Pbabyf.gif

#65 of 107 Old 12-01-2009, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ofwait View Post
Do you have electric heat? We have gas.
Nope!... forced air gas and also water is gas... everything else electric. I just had the hubby check our meter and we've averaged 44kwh/day since the last read! We've got a roomba, a printer, an 8yo fridge, a toaster oven and a phone that are plugged in all the time, everything else is on power strips that are turned off most of the time. We have all fluorescent lights... I do one dryer load/day (new dryer) and cook on the stove top at least twice a day, reheat in the microwave and use a rice cooker a few times per week... run a dish load everyday, but I use the quickwash setting and air dry. We have a 52in lcd hooked up to our main pc that probably gets a couple hours/day use and I'm charging up rechargeable batteries for a few hours maybe once a month and we have two laptops getting charged daily. We are home most of the time, but almost always in the same room together so while I'm sure we use lights more than most since we also stay up late it's usually just one room at a time and mostly during the day we don't even need lights on.

I'm so glad for this thread because I had no idea we were so high... I don't see how, but it's nice to know there's a possibility to go so much lower that could be a definite savings for us. I just can't figure out where to begin... I guess with roomba and the printer, I just can't imagine they'd make that much difference. I vacuumed under my fridge, but it really wasn't that bad... so, I don't know!
#66 of 107 Old 12-02-2009, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ygle View Post
Nope!... forced air gas and also water is gas... everything else electric. I just had the hubby check our meter and we've averaged 44kwh/day since the last read! We've got a roomba, a printer, an 8yo fridge, a toaster oven and a phone that are plugged in all the time, everything else is on power strips that are turned off most of the time. We have all fluorescent lights... I do one dryer load/day (new dryer) and cook on the stove top at least twice a day, reheat in the microwave and use a rice cooker a few times per week... run a dish load everyday, but I use the quickwash setting and air dry. We have a 52in lcd hooked up to our main pc that probably gets a couple hours/day use and I'm charging up rechargeable batteries for a few hours maybe once a month and we have two laptops getting charged daily. We are home most of the time, but almost always in the same room together so while I'm sure we use lights more than most since we also stay up late it's usually just one room at a time and mostly during the day we don't even need lights on.

I'm so glad for this thread because I had no idea we were so high... I don't see how, but it's nice to know there's a possibility to go so much lower that could be a definite savings for us. I just can't figure out where to begin... I guess with roomba and the printer, I just can't imagine they'd make that much difference. I vacuumed under my fridge, but it really wasn't that bad... so, I don't know!
Wow... I feel badly, because I don't know what to say... the only we don't have that you do is a dishwasher, and I sure do more that 1 load a day in the drier, and I realized that we have 3 computers on 24/7. Especially here in the winter time (pacific NW) we have lights on almost constantly.... Where's all your power going?
I think maybe you ought to have your electrical checked out.

C wife to J, Mom to B, C and Jjumpers.gif Iblahblah.gif, and Pbabyf.gif

#67 of 107 Old 12-02-2009, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ygle View Post

Someone up thread mentioned turning off/unplugging everything and checking the meter to see if power is still being drawn, and also turning things on one at a time to see what's drawing the most power.
#68 of 107 Old 12-02-2009, 10:26 PM

USA average consumption is 30 KWH per day.

Here are some interesting links on electric usage of common household items:

http://www.eia.doe.gov/emeu/recs/rec...nduse2001.html
http://www.psnh.com/Residential/Redu...ianceusage.asp

Please don't get too caught up in comparing with others usage ... there are so many things to consider. You can use a kill-a-watt meter to find out the actual electric usage of each item - I have an excel spreadsheet for this because I am like that. Just as an example, we have a radon mitigation system (fan) running 24 hours a day. Maybe that uses $5 a month in electricity. I could turn it off to reduce my KWH - but I prefer a safe house.

Some things which could be different between households:
* size and age of refrigerator. Do you allow items to cool to room temp before placing in fridge or freezer? How often is the fridge opened?
* size and age of electric water heater, along with incoming water temperature. (more KWH needed in MN than in Mexico)
* flow rate in shower heads and water usage of washing machine, dishwasher, etc.
* size and energy consumption of TV and "stereo stack". Some of the newer game systems are reported to use 600W while running - this is like turning on every single light bulb in my house
* outdoor lighting - security lights on 24 hours vs compact fluorescent bulbs on timers or daylight sensors.
* efficiency of fan in forced air heating system.
* light bulb type - incandescent vs cfl vs LED
* attic insulation, roof color, and air conditioning usage during the summer. age/efficiency of AC.

In our house, our #1 electric savings is a "whole house fan" run at night during the summer (combined with tall trees and good attic insulation) - we have less than 15 days of AC usage all summer long, while others in this area have much more. "Whole house fans" have been surpassed by a newer technology - heat recovery ventilation or energy recovery ventilation - which would be even more effective.

We have natural gas hot water, but if we didn't I would be up on the roof installing solar hot water heating.
#69 of 107 Old 12-02-2009, 11:04 PM

Here's a cut & paste of our online bill for 9/30-10/29:

Quote:
343 kWh$5.83
Baseline Allowance 342 kWh
Baseline Usage 342 kWh @ $.01692
101% - 130% of Baseline 1 kWh @ $.03709
DWR Bond Charge 342 kWh @ $.00491 1.68
Electric Energy Charge
Baseline - 342 kWh @ $.10684 36.54
101% - 130% of Baseline - 1 kWh @ $.10684 0.11
TOTAL ELECTRIC CHARGES$44.16

The Total Electric Charges shown above include the following
components. Please see definitions on back of bill.

Electric Energy 36.65
DWR Bond Charge 1.68
Transmission 3.89
Distribution 23.81
Public Purpose Programs - 22.88
Nuclear Decommissioning .16
Competition Transition Charge .68
Reliability Services .17
Total Electric Costs 44.16
We have mostly gas appliances (hot water, dryer, range, furnace) and no A/C. Our fridge is 3-4 years old (highest energy star rating within our price range I could find). Our washer is 4-5 years old. We have one fridge, no extra freezer. Our dishwasher is 8 years old (best energy star rating at that time within our price range). Our home is about 1400 sf and three of us live here. Any tips for lowering this????

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

#70 of 107 Old 12-03-2009, 02:58 AM

We used 23.57 kWh/day last month.

We have 1100 sq ft, 4 people in the house and gas heat.

To cut down we:
-use 98% cfl's
-in the winter, I line dry in the unfinished basement and that cuts my drying time at least in half if not more-in summer they dry outside completely
-I try to turn off all the vampire appliances when they're not being used and try to turn off the computer every night.

I still need to get a hot water heater blanket though!

Lisa, mama to A (3/05) and R (11/07) and L (8/10)
#71 of 107 Old 12-03-2009, 10:56 AM

Ygle--

I'd see if your utility can come out a make sure you aren't being billed for the neighbors too or not grounded correctly and powering the dirt around your house or something else weird/unsafe. We have a similar set up and last month used about 500kws. (We rarely use the dryer and that did cut our kw use alot though).
#72 of 107 Old 12-03-2009, 11:45 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I feel really good about the last two months! Octobers bill was $92.34 for gas and electric and Novembers was $113.77. In November we averaged 24.9kwh/day which impressed me. This months will be higher as I now have the heating on. I've set the programable thermostate, but I need to adjust it to bring some of the temps down again.

Ygle, I strongly suggest you investigate further into your electrical bill as I can't imagine where your electricity is going. We have 2 laptops, a printer, a pc, 2 TV's (one with wii), fridge/freezer, 2 heating units (heating 4000sft+), washer/drier once a day running and my bill is way under yours. I would also compare kwh used with your neighbors.
#73 of 107 Old 12-03-2009, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnysandiegan View Post
Any tips for lowering this????
Are you in CA and paying only 11-cents per kwh? I thought it was more expensive out there!

It sounds like you have everything covered - the only thing left is to use a kill-a-watt to check out the electric usage of your PC, TV, etc... (including standby modes)

We use a "smart power strip" on our TV... they are also great for computers. One device (the TV) determines if the other devices (VCR, VHS, converter box, etc) are on. Our TV is off most of the time - this does a great job of cutting out several small loads with no bother.
http://www.amazon.com/Smart-Strip-LC...9857031&sr=8-5
#74 of 107 Old 12-03-2009, 03:50 PM

Ok, I'm definitely going to play around with unplugging things and maybe even shutting off the breakers this weekend and see if I can figure out what's going on here. I did realize just going around and double checking everything (like making certain there weren't chargers plugged in the garage, etc.) a couple more items I have... a zero waste ro water filter, and my voip unit (it's got a 2hr battery backup).

Thank you so much, everyone, for the suggestions and thoughts shared here. I just still can't get over that we've been using so much more energy than most all these years and I had no idea! Hopefully I can get this sorted out because it really bothers me... feels so gluttonous, not to mention wasteful especially since I don't even know what it's all going to, ack!
#75 of 107 Old 12-03-2009, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Are you in CA and paying only 11-cents per kwh? I thought it was more expensive out there!

It sounds like you have everything covered - the only thing left is to use a kill-a-watt to check out the electric usage of your PC, TV, etc... (including standby modes)

We use a "smart power strip" on our TV... they are also great for computers. One device (the TV) determines if the other devices (VCR, VHS, converter box, etc) are on. Our TV is off most of the time - this does a great job of cutting out several small loads with no bother.
http://www.amazon.com/Smart-Strip-LC...9857031&sr=8-5
Hi! Yes, I am in San Diego. Thanks for the link. I'll check those items out.

I also gave SDG&E a call to ask some questions. The guy I spoke with was really, really good at explaining things to me and understanding my questions. He said for a family who actually lives in their home (versus single people and/or folks who don't spend much time at home), we are doing very well. At this point, he indicated what SleeplessMommy said that it comes down to little things. He didn't mention a device per se, but he said it is a matter of looking at our daily habits and seeing what we are willing to change and how much unplugging and replugging is worth the convenience/inconvenience.

As an interesting side note (related to energy usage, but not electricity), we purchased a new hot water heater and range this year. Both are natural gas and more efficient than their predecessors. However, we've been cooking at home more this year compared to last year. I cannot locate our gas usage history to see what the overall effects are long-term, but in the last two months the month-to-month trend is more therms used (this month versus last month) while the month-this-year compared to the month-last-year is less therms used.

Another note of possible interest is SDG&E has partnered with Google and our power usage can be seen on Google. I just opened a free account and linked our SDG&E account to it (free, also). I haven't played with it, yet, but the idea is I can view our hourly usage. This way I can make changes and see the results fairly quickly! I may not even need to buy a device now! (It has taken me awhile to type this reply with all my research and phone calls, etc. ) Maybe you, too, can sign up for this free service??? I went through my power company's website and it was listed as a "savings tool".

Thanks, OP, for posting this thread!!! I wouldn't have gotten around to doing this in 2009 if not for your concerns and thread. I appreciate you posting!

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

#76 of 107 Old 12-03-2009, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Another note of possible interest is SDG&E has partnered with Google and our power usage can be seen on Google. I just opened a free account and linked our SDG&E account to it (free, also). I haven't played with it, yet, but the idea is I can view our hourly usage.
I would love to have this data for my house! (not available in this area yet) The little box to record this info costs about $200+. The Google PowerMeter will be very helpful for conservation.

http://www.google.org/powermeter/index.html
#77 of 107 Old 12-03-2009, 09:06 PM

Our average daily cost is $4.40, and we used 1336 KWH last month.
#78 of 107 Old 12-04-2009, 02:57 AM

Quote:
I would love to have this data for my house! (not available in this area yet) The little box to record this info costs about $200+. The Google PowerMeter will be very helpful for conservation.

http://www.google.org/powermeter/index.html
We have a "smart meter" that records by the hour as well, but we didn't pay for it, the electric company put it in before they switched to time-of-use rates. We can view our hourly usage online on the company's website, ours has nothing to do with google.

Mommy to  N baby.gif, born 2/20/12.

#79 of 107 Old 12-04-2009, 04:49 AM

We have a "smart meter," too. We were one of the first to receive one in our metro area (our community was in the test market). We've had it for a couple years now, but they are not working on the consumer/internet features until all the installations are completed. This google partnership is awesome for us since it is basically providing those services during the interim. I have heard, though, that when the smart meter full service is available we'll have data every 15 minutes and perhaps even instantly. I don't recall the source of that info, so it may not be entirely accurate.

#80 of 107 Old 12-04-2009, 12:44 PM

Quote:
We have a "smart meter," too. We were one of the first to receive one in our metro area (our community was in the test market). We've had it for a couple years now, but they are not working on the consumer/internet features until all the installations are completed. This google partnership is awesome for us since it is basically providing those services during the interim. I have heard, though, that when the smart meter full service is available we'll have data every 15 minutes and perhaps even instantly. I don't recall the source of that info, so it may not be entirely accurate.
That would be cool. Ours is not instant, we can always see yesterday but not today, so I guess the data is read daily.

#81 of 107 Old 12-04-2009, 01:46 PM

For October we used an average of 32 kwh a day! I did't know it was that high, yet we have lower light bills then most people we know. We are all electric except a gas heater, approx 1300 sq feet 5 person family. We don't have a freezer or dishwasher, there is one computer on 24/7, we have one TV that is on pretty much all the time during waking hours. I sah at the moment so I suspect our consumption is higher because of that. Our kids are horrible at keeping lights on in unused rooms, but are getting better because I send the youngest on "light patrol" to turn them off.

student/sahm to three awesome girls who are always on the go!
#82 of 107 Old 12-05-2009, 09:14 PM

In our apartment we had electric water/stove/dryer and the like. Gas for the water baseboard heat. And we used around 800 a month.

Now, we have electric stove/dryer and gas heat/water and use about 500 a month.

Same sizes = around 1,000 sq ft

S-d D which made them three. M grew lonely, and now there's baby D.
"Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?"
#83 of 107 Old 12-06-2009, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Another note of possible interest is SDG&E has partnered with Google and our power usage can be seen on Google. I just opened a free account and linked our SDG&E account to it (free, also). I haven't played with it, yet, but the idea is I can view our hourly usage. This way I can make changes and see the results fairly quickly! I may not even need to buy a device now! (It has taken me awhile to type this reply with all my research and phone calls, etc. ) Maybe you, too, can sign up for this free service??? I went through my power company's website and it was listed as a "savings tool".
To follow up, I had to wait for the ability to see the info until today. (There was a message stating no info would be available 11/30- 12/5.) Now, though, I can see the daily usage back to the beginning of the current billing cycle (12/1). Oooooo! Ahhhhhhhh! I am such a numbers geek...

Tomorrow we get to play with plugging and unplugging things. DH is finally on board with the idea of *possible* "phantom" loads. Or he is merely interested from a technical, geeky side and is indulging me....

#84 of 107 Old 12-14-2009, 05:25 AM

Well, it (our meter) doesn't spin when everything is shut off... I haven't really gotten much of anywhere beyond that to figure out how we are using so much. We did notice it spins like crazy when the drier starts up... besides that, nothing really major... the stove does seem to use up a lot (not like when the drier starts up though) and I am cooking constantly, so maybe that is just why our monthly usage is so much higher than others. I tried searching to find a way to see if our meter is calibrated correctly but couldn't really come up with anything. As far as I can tell our usage has been pretty consistant (between about 30-47kwh/day... the highest is when we use ac) since we've lived here.
#85 of 107 Old 12-14-2009, 01:51 PM

I'm trying to get my kwh under 800 for 60 days - so 400.month or around 13.33/day. That's what it needs to be to not be considered a "high consumer" by the Mexican government - when you are a high consumer, you no longer receive a subsidy from the government and it translates into something like 1000 pesos difference on the bill ($80 or so). Anyhow, my last bill was around 14.6/day, 20 figuring how to cut about 1.5 kwh a day will save me around $40/month. I've been on my kids' cases to shut down the computers when not in use and turing off the monitors at night. We have two computers and one laptop. . .do you think that would be enough?
#86 of 107 Old 12-14-2009, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipse View Post
I'm trying to get my kwh under 800 for 60 days - so 400.month or around 13.33/day. That's what it needs to be to not be considered a "high consumer" by the Mexican government - when you are a high consumer, you no longer receive a subsidy from the government and it translates into something like 1000 pesos difference on the bill ($80 or so). Anyhow, my last bill was around 14.6/day, 20 figuring how to cut about 1.5 kwh a day will save me around $40/month. I've been on my kids' cases to shut down the computers when not in use and turing off the monitors at night. We have two computers and one laptop. . .do you think that would be enough?
If your computers already go into a "sleep mode" when they are not in use, then turning them off instead of having them in sleep mode will not be nearly enough to save 1.5 kWh/day. Sleep mode uses less than 15W, so lets say you eliminate 8hrs of sleep mode per day, you will save 15*8/1000 = 0.12 kWh/day.

#87 of 107 Old 12-15-2009, 02:02 PM

Just read our meter (it's digital) and compared it to our last bill... looks like we're at a whopping 80kwh/day. I'm scared to think of what it will be like in the dead of winter...

Blogging about renovations in our first home
#88 of 107 Old 12-16-2009, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherAtHome View Post
Just read our meter (it's digital) and compared it to our last bill... looks like we're at a whopping 80kwh/day. I'm scared to think of what it will be like in the dead of winter...
I looked at last year's winter bills. Our nov/dec average was 84/day. Jan/Feb was 118/day. Apparently I was optimistic earlier. Heating drafty old homes is expensive.
#89 of 107 Old 12-16-2009, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahwhat View Post
I looked at last year's winter bills. Our nov/dec average was 84/day. Jan/Feb was 118/day. Apparently I was optimistic earlier. Heating drafty old homes is expensive.
I know. I told my mom I feel like we're in a sinking ship and I'm trying to plug all the holes... and losing.

Blogging about renovations in our first home
#90 of 107 Old 12-16-2009, 10:19 PM

November bill this year
52.19 kWh / day
$0.0784 / kWh

November last year
46.39 kWh / day
$0.0746 / kWh

We have a propane water heater, everything else is electric including two freezers. 2 adults, 2 children, heat lamp for chickens

Just this past week we have started using a propane heater, we will see if that helps much or not, propane here right now is really cheap, but the winter is off to a cold start

I am a stay at home mom and DH started his own business so he is home a lot now too.

Stephanie married to Jerry  partners.gif  mama to  modifiedartist.gif (10) and superhero.gif(7) and 3rdtri.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page