Your average kilowatt-hour (kWh) usage? Anyone care to post theirs?? - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#91 of 107 Old 12-17-2009, 12:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I finally recieved my bill so I can post it here. I was very curious to see how we compare.

We are a family of 4 living in 850sq feet + basement + 300 sq feet garage workshop. We have a dehumidifier, woodstove, gas water heater, gas stove, air conditioning but don't use it, gas furnace but don't use it.

Oct 15 to Nov 13 - 30 days
210.95 kwh - for the month
7.03 kwh a day

That is pretty low! In our history 8 months of the year are very close to that. Nov, Dec, Feb, Mar, April and Oct were between 200-250. May and June were under 200.

Jan, July, Aug, Sept were higher. In Jan the basement flooded a bit and we had to heat it and run fans and the dehumidifier. In the summer we have to run a dehumidifier because the basement is damp. Aug was the highest month at about 450 kwh which would be 15 kwh a day.

I know next month is will be quite a bit higher as DH has been working on the garage using lots of power tools!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#92 of 107 Old 12-18-2009, 10:36 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
We used a lot more than we did before since our heat has an electric fan (gas heat) Normally the bill is around $16 a month but this month it was $32 (440 kwh for 35 days). Both my gas and electric went up quite a bit.

After gas/electric and water/sewer the bill was $105 The last place we lived we didn't pay water and sewer so the bills were so much lower this time of year. I guess I shouldn't complain that much considering our mortgage is $272 so we still save money by living here vs renting.

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

#93 of 107 Old 12-18-2009, 11:03 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We use about 20/day in winter and up to 60/day in summer. Our bill is easily $150 more in the summer. I love winters in TX!
#94 of 107 Old 12-18-2009, 11:55 PM

We've had quite the chilly week (-20C) and I've declared war on the cold. Making draft stoppers to go in front of doors, hanging thick curtains and closing off sections of our home. My Dad said we could have his old woodstove, just need to figure out stovepipe/chimney insurance/safety issues.

I'm so not looking forward to our next hydro bill. 80kwh/day is too much and if we don't do something, it will just get higher. I hope we don't have long stretches of -40 this winter.

We didn't have time to insulate everything we wanted to this fall. We just have to do what we can and hope it doesn't get too bad.

Blogging about renovations in our first home
#95 of 107 Old 12-19-2009, 12:49 PM

Opps double post!
#96 of 107 Old 12-19-2009, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherAtHome View Post
We've had quite the chilly week (-20C) and I've declared war on the cold. Making draft stoppers to go in front of doors, hanging thick curtains and closing off sections of our home. My Dad said we could have his old woodstove, just need to figure out stovepipe/chimney insurance/safety issues.

I'm so not looking forward to our next hydro bill. 80kwh/day is too much and if we don't do something, it will just get higher. I hope we don't have long stretches of -40 this winter.

We didn't have time to insulate everything we wanted to this fall. We just have to do what we can and hope it doesn't get too bad.

80 kwh a day, ouch that has to hurt. Is there anyway you could live in just part of your house for this winter and next year gets lots of good insulation?

I wasn't feeling great yesterday so I didn't do much cooking/baking. Our little fireplace insert had a hard time trying to heat the place. I almost turned on the furnace. I can't wait until we get a bigger woodstove for the basement.
#97 of 107 Old 01-12-2010, 12:31 AM

AHHHHHHHHH!!!!!! Just got our new hydro bill. From October 31-January 5 (67 days) we used 93 kWh/day. Our total bill came to $512.

We're trying to plug all the holes from the inside this winter but need nice weather to do some work from the outside. It's all about the heating. Everything else is just a drop in the bucket. I actually thought it might be higher than that moneywise so it's not completely awful. I guess now is the time to tell myself we have such a low mortgage payment it all equals out...

Since I have the bill in front of me, here are the details:

Fixed charge: 67 days x .04064 = 27.23

Total Consumption: 6230 kWh
-First 30kWh/day: 2010kWh x .0545 = 109.55
-Remaining consumption: 4220 kWh x .0746 = 314.81

GST 5% = 22.58
QST 7.5% = 35.56
Admin fee = 2.44

Total: 512.17

I feel embarrassed that we can't use less electricity! We're massive polluters! We had a long cold spell the week or two before Christmas but it looks like Jan will be toasty so our next bill shouldn't be too awful...

We've been doing a lot of insulating but I guess we're no where near done.

ETA: Wanted to say that we can afford to pay this bill so we're not up **** creek but I totally see whey the previous owner on a fixed income sold the house.

Blogging about renovations in our first home
#98 of 107 Old 01-12-2010, 12:52 AM

For the month of Dec. we averaged 26.76 KWH per day. Not too bad. I think we can do better though.

That's for a family of 5 in a 2500sqft home. DH works from home and I'm a SAHM.

SAHM to the munchkins (14.5, 11.5, 9.5, 3, and almost 2)
#99 of 107 Old 01-12-2010, 01:03 AM

For DEC, 900 sq. ft. house, 3 people, gas heater & water heater... 14.94 kw hrs per day if I did it right? 463 for a 31 day cycle. Higher than the last two months because I've been home pretty much 24/7, along w/ the little guy, all month. And LOTS of TV, movies & computer time. (had surgery on my right foot
Dec 1st, so couldn't drive or walk)
About double that in the summer when we have the swamp cooler going.

(Our gas usage, on the other hand, was nuts last month....we need to seal!!)

Mom to A 11/06: Researching : to grow our family
#100 of 107 Old 01-13-2010, 11:50 PM

My latest bill. Nov 5 to Jan 11 (68 days) (borrowing formatting from above)

Fixed charge: 68 days x .04064 = 27.64

Total Consumption: 5200 kWh
-First 30kWh/day: 2040kWh x .0545 = 111.18
-Remaining consumption: 3160 kWh x .0746 = 235.74

GST 5% = 18.73
QST 7.5% = 29.50

Total: 422.79

And my drafty old house has an excellently insulated basement, front wall is good, and 1 side wall is good. The back wall is terrible though. The kitchen especially is a drafty mess; it is our spring/summer project. No way am I tearing it up in winter. It's cold enough with what limited insulation it has now.

1000 sq ft-ish, 100+ year old house main floor plus basement. 6 people, electric everything. The second floor is a separate apartment and is on a separate meter.
#101 of 107 Old 01-14-2010, 12:48 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by azmomtoone View Post
For DEC, 900 sq. ft. house, 3 people, gas heater & water heater... 14.94 kw hrs per day if I did it right? 463 for a 31 day cycle. Higher than the last two months because I've been home pretty much 24/7, along w/ the little guy, all month. And LOTS of TV, movies & computer time. (had surgery on my right foot
Dec 1st, so couldn't drive or walk)
About double that in the summer when we have the swamp cooler going.

(Our gas usage, on the other hand, was nuts last month....we need to seal!!)
Same as you basically, 1800sqft and 5 people, 16khw/day, but gas heater, water heater, and stove. No injuries to blame but DS1 has a major screen time addiction going on through the winter, and we haven't got a car. All our lights are incandescent. Not too bad at all, I'd say. Gas use was 3.57 ccf/day, average temp was 40F.
#102 of 107 Old 01-14-2010, 08:47 PM

We use (on average) 14kWh per day, or about 421kWh per month.

We have gas heat and use the A/C only during really humid parts of July and August.
#103 of 107 Old 01-15-2010, 12:39 PM

We used 489 in Nov., but that should go down for Dec. because we had our wood cook stove installed day after Thanksgiving. So, that is 16.3/day.

We were using Oil Hot Air, but also, I wash a lot of dishes by hand with water heated on the cook stove. That will save a little elec.

House is well insulated, good windows, and 1568 sq. ft. I watch elec. usage by keeping things turned off and running dishwasher at night.

I need to get that solar water heater figured out!
#104 of 107 Old 01-15-2010, 01:48 PM

This was eye opening. I've been reading this thread but never bothered to log on to my utility company's web page to see where we are at (we pay the same amount each month).

We have a 2,000 square-foot house and live in the Arizona desert. Everything is electric and both my husband and I work from home which means at minimum 2 computers on - sometimes more depending on what we're doing.

In the winter time we use about 40 kWh/day and in the hottest summer months it jumpst to over 80 - that is usually for July and August, though. My son has epilepsy and so we have to keep the house cooler than what is recommended to be more energy efficient - typically we have the AC set to 78 in the summer.
#105 of 107 Old 01-15-2010, 08:13 PM

I've been lurking on this thread waiting for my electric bill to come. And it's here!

So, a 2br apt, approx 750sq ft, all electric: heat, water, dishwasher, washer/dryer. SAHM with 1 child and we really are home a lot.

And this last month the average temp was 39F using 22 kWh per/day for 675 in the whole month.
November was my first month in the apartment: average temp was 42F and 26 kwh per/day for 865 in the whole month.

I'm not a super geek about my usage. I do turn lights and some things off when I'm not using them, but I've not done much about phantom loads or anything. I usually have my day time temp in 71-72, although the first month it was usually 73F. I have individual wall heaters in each room, so each night and morning I have to remember to adjust the heat. It's nice, but I don't always remember to turn all of them back down overnight. I do keep the room we sleep in at 68F all the time cuz we are only in there to sleep.

Also, 10 days of December I was out of town and left the thermostats at 60F to ensure just in case there was a crazy cold snap that my pipes would be OK. So maybe that accounts for all of the savings on this months bill, but I'd like to think not.

So I see I have tons of room for improvement here. But other than being more diligent about ensuring I turn all the thermostats down at night (I usually remember 2 out of 3) and turning off all electronics not in use I'm not sure what I can do, I already do CFL's. It is an all electric apartment, so maybe the posts I read weren't accurate comparisons? And I think compared to the previous tenant in this unit I'm rocking' it. My deposit had to be double the highest previous bill of $105 . And so far my highest bill was $88.
#106 of 107 Old 03-28-2011, 09:53 PM

That water heater was a major problem for you. You said 17 out of 37 was working. Water heaters have 2 elements in them. when one goes out the other has to do the job of both of them wich probably doubled or tripled its enegy consumption. When the other element couldnt take it no more and burned out too, no water but if not completely burned it still uses alot of juice. I think you chose the best option just replacing the whole thing. Dont get one of those electrocic ones though, they are crap, the boards burn out and you got another pile of metal holding cold water. I hope this helped. Gl2u :)

#107 of 107 Old 04-06-2011, 05:42 AM

We have a 600sf apartment, 3 people and our use has been about 2500 kWh per year. We had a dryer we got used as a gift and we used it some, now we don't have one as it broke and we didn't replace it and I'm curious if it will show in the electric bill. We have extremely cold winters and drafty windows get below 2000 kWh per year. If we were to get a (tiny) house at some point, we would likely use a bit more.

ETA: We have a washer, a dish washer, small fridge and tiny freezer, and two computers that get used a lot. No TV.

User Tag List