Favorite WIC Food uses - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 66 Old 12-05-2010, 08:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

well this isn't really a recipe but when wic only offered dried beans i used the beans in a sensory table for my kids.  i put all different kinds of beans in a large but shallow plastic container and gave them measuring cups, measuring spoons and containers to play with it.  i also included an old muffin tin so they could sort the beans by type or color or size,  they always asked to play with it.  you could also use rice and color it with food coloring if you like.  pop the top back on and put it away when they are done.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 66 Old 12-05-2010, 08:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadonsmama View Post

well this isn't really a recipe but when wic only offered dried beans i used the beans in a sensory table for my kids.  i put all different kinds of beans in a large but shallow plastic container and gave them measuring cups, measuring spoons and containers to play with it.  i also included an old muffin tin so they could sort the beans by type or color or size,  they always asked to play with it.  you could also use rice and color it with food coloring if you like.  pop the top back on and put it away when they are done.

Great ideas!!!
#63 of 66 Old 12-06-2010, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadonsmama View Post

thumb.gif

Boys: 12/94, 1/99, 11/03, 6/11. Girls: 11/06, 10/09, 12/12 2ndtri.gif

#64 of 66 Old 12-06-2010, 06:37 AM

I love when I use the bread and beans checks. I get whole wheat tortillas, brown rice and black beans. I get some tomatoes onions and peppers from a produce check, sometimes some avocado if it is in season. Add some cheese and chicken breast (stocked up at $1.99lb) and you have a cheap, yummy taco or burrito dinner.

Welcoming our twins :: born February 21, 2009 at 33 weeks! :
C-section due to pre-eclampsia and HELLP:
#65 of 66 Old 12-06-2010, 02:28 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

You can do anything with salmon that you would do with tuna.  Salmon salad, salmon-noodle casserole, whatever.  I think it always tastes better, anyway.  Actually, canned chick peas also make a nice substitute for the tuna in tuna salad and tuna casserole.  But that wasn't what you asked!

#66 of 66 Old 12-07-2010, 05:27 PM

Thank you to whomever posted about salmon quesadillas! Kids loved them tonight! Then we did desert pizzas with thin bread/buns, pudding, choc hips and marshmallows under the broil setting. BIG hit, too. All round foods tonight, lol.

FAs, co-sleeping, babywearing, extended nursing, positive parenting, homeschooler

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page