Frugal stocking stuffers for kids - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 45 Old 11-19-2009, 02:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Expanding on another thread that talked about stocking stuffers for adults, how about for kids? Could be homemade or something you purchase. My challenge for myself is I don't want to buy cheap plastic crap and I don't want to give them candy (already plenty of other sweets this time of year).

Here's what I have so far:

new toothbrush
lip gloss
socks/gloves/mittens from dollar store/spot
craft kits from JoAnn's dollar spot

Please add to the list, mommas.
#2 of 45 Old 11-19-2009, 03:21 PM

Fruit
Hotwheels (not technically plastic crap, but close. My DH is dying to buy the kids the color-changing hotwheels)
Travel versions of lotion, etc.
Hair bows
Nail polish or other makeup items (for older girls)
Movie ticket? (Not especially cheap, but would eliminate a pile up of "stuff.")
#3 of 45 Old 11-19-2009, 03:32 PM

Magazine-isn't really "cheap" BUT takes up alot of space....something like chickadee?
mad libs/crossword/wordsearch/coloring book
bubble bath/bath paints/bath bomb
stamps
nuts
single size apple cider/hot chocolate package
pens

mommy daddy son daughter = our family
#4 of 45 Old 11-19-2009, 03:39 PM

My kids love black olives so I put a can in each When my mom was a girl her mom did this and it was a luxury item then!

Maggie, wife and mom to three
#5 of 45 Old 11-19-2009, 03:41 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I think ours this year will include
new fun socks (since I usually get plain ones)
playdough, with glitter
A DVD (got some on sale over the summer)
A couple of MR Men books
a piece of fruit
colouring pages or puzzles (I will print these out)
A decorated gingerbread man or other home made treat

for DS (3)
a couple of toy cars
a bug viewer

for DD (5)
new hair clips
wooden learn to tie your shoelaces thing
binoculars

Most of the things I have picked up used through out the year. And this year (for once ) I was organized and kept a list.

I've thought about putting in some cake mix or sprinkles but knowing my kids they would want to do it "right now" and I don;t think I am up for that on Christmas day.
#6 of 45 Old 11-19-2009, 03:52 PM

Cool new pens/pencils/crayons/etc.
Craft supplies: pom-poms, sequins, googly eyes, etc.
Granola bars
Glow sticks
Jewelry for girls
Hair accessories for girls
Small notepads
Sticky notes -- weird, but dd loves them! I ordered some personalized ones for free (plus s&h) from VistaPrint
Bouncy balls
Beanbags
Jump rope
Jacks
Deck of cards/card games (like Old Maid)
Popcorn balls
Fruit -- we always got an apple and an orange in the "toes" of our stockings
Harmonica
New sippy/regular cup, just for them -- or own new fork & spoon set
Small stuffed animals

That's all I can think of right now!

Maria , wife to Frank and mama to Gracie (12/09/03) and Evie (06/24/09) , living in domestic bliss!
#7 of 45 Old 11-19-2009, 04:10 PM

I'm going to do:

flashlights
jump ropes
superballs
socks
bubble bath (or that foam, something for the tub)
stickers
sidewalk chalk

and I usually put some candy or some kind of food thing in, too.

In the end, only three things matter: how much you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things not meant for you." Buddha

#8 of 45 Old 11-19-2009, 04:36 PM

Hotwheels cars
chapstick
toothbrushes
candy (out of the candy bucket, so free)
bubble bath

I like the cider/hot chocolate idea! I'm so stealing that.
#9 of 45 Old 11-19-2009, 04:42 PM

I always buy my kids a magazine each, individualized to what they are into at the time.
Example: 12 year old daughter: Tiger Beat or Teen Beat
15 year old son: Mad Magazine or Gamer Mag
9 year old daughter: Kids Science or Animal Mag

Each child gets candy (and plenty of it!), small toys, and an orange. I also individulize the stockings--so my 9 year old gets word search puzzles I print off from the computer to make a booklet (she loves those--I print and assemble), coloring book pages from online, etc...) and my older kids get things they are into.
#10 of 45 Old 11-19-2009, 04:51 PM

I put juice boxes in them. My kids think these are a HUGE treat. I never buy them, so to them, they are a birthday/holiday thing. Same with mini boxes of cereal. My poor children. LOL
#11 of 45 Old 11-19-2009, 04:54 PM

Growing up, we always had candy and nuts, an orange at the toe, and a candy cane at the top. It is very cheap and it was lots of fun. We'd eat all the candy, then put the nuts in a big bowl with a nutcracker and eat them for a couple of months afterward.

I have tried to continue this tradition, but dh says it's too much candy. So I think I'll be stealing the can of olives trick! My kids love those, too.

Mommy to kids

#12 of 45 Old 11-19-2009, 07:17 PM

what kind of candy? I am especially interested in the types of candy for an almost 3 year old (who loves peanut butter cups)!
#13 of 45 Old 11-19-2009, 07:18 PM

For us this year, it's all about the garden...
as all the gardening stuff got marked down, I started picking it up. Plus, there's some stuff that ALWAYS go in our stockings. So far (if my memory wants to work today) we've got:

gardening gloves
small spades & rakes
seeds (everyone has a favorite veggie, and will get that at least, plus however many others once I divide them up)
sunhats
sunscreen
lip balm (homemade)
toothbrushes
fruit
breakfast cakes (homemade)
mulled cider spices (homemade blend)
assorted nuts (in shells)

and each has a "special" food item they get and don't have to share with anyone else.
DS likes smoked oysters
DD1 likes buffalo jerky
DD2 likes marinated mushrooms

I think that's it...but anything can change.
They're also all getting a pair of crocs, but those aren't going IN the stockings, we're thinking about putting their stockings in the crocs though.
#14 of 45 Old 11-19-2009, 08:20 PM

I think all my answers are covered

DD is two, and I love stockings so she's getting:

Mermaid shadow puppet from Etsy
One single Christmas cupcake from bakery
Hair barrettes
Copy of kids magazine [Baby Animals maybe]

blogging.jpg    fambedsingle2.gif  homebirth.jpg  read.gif  happy momma to DD 8/07 and DS 6/10
#15 of 45 Old 11-19-2009, 08:51 PM

temporary tatoos
hacky sacks
deck of cards
sets of dice
fun pencils
almonds
clementines

treehugger.gif homemaker mama to jumpers.gif and stork-boy.gif due in March

#16 of 45 Old 11-19-2009, 09:04 PM

so many good ideas! Thank you b/c I just started thinking about stocking stuffers.

I found a few things at the dollar spot at Target (like headbands, pencils, stamps) but was thinking about getting these slider puzzles, and finger puzzles.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#17 of 45 Old 11-19-2009, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cutiekitties View Post

what kind of candy? I am especially interested in the types of candy for an almost 3 year old (who loves peanut butter cups)!
Then what about those mini single wrapped peanut butter cups. You can usually get them places like the Bulk Barn.

I'm doing 1 mini candy cane, a couple fruit to go bars(fruit leather), wasabi peas(bought at the bulk store and portioned into small xmas bags for both ds(3) and dh), and a small bag of chips. Treats but not totally horrible...atleast thats what im telling myself

Dd will be just shy of a year at xmas and shes getting puffs in her stocking(atleast food wise thats what shes getting)

mommy daddy son daughter = our family
#18 of 45 Old 11-19-2009, 10:58 PM

Oooh, I love the idea of a magazine and the chips! I never buy chips, so a tiny bag would thrill DS (2.5) and he always flips through my magazines, so he would love one of his own. I was pretty much done with stockings, but now we are going to be doing Christmas twice (once in NYC with friends and then the real "big" one at home a few days later), so I would like to do a smaller version of his stocking in NYC and the regular one at home, so I am going to pick up a few more things. A granola bar would thrill him as much as candy too. Great ideas!

Formerly single Mama to the zaniest boy on the block, born on my birthday on 3/28/07. Soon to be Mama to a new little and can't wait to bfinfant.gif and femalesling.GIF and familybed1.gif again! 
#19 of 45 Old 11-19-2009, 11:01 PM

Quote:

I just bought my on his first "candy necklace" when we were out of town at a play. DS had never been to a play, and it was a town that I never visit and is a huge local tourist trap, so I let him pick out a piece of candy from a dime store type candy display. He chose a candy necklace, even though he had no idea what it was and he thought it was the most fun thing ever. He is 2.5 BTW. I might see if I can find another one for him for his stocking too.

Formerly single Mama to the zaniest boy on the block, born on my birthday on 3/28/07. Soon to be Mama to a new little and can't wait to bfinfant.gif and femalesling.GIF and familybed1.gif again! 
#20 of 45 Old 11-19-2009, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetsyS View Post
I put juice boxes in them. My kids think these are a HUGE treat. I never buy them, so to them, they are a birthday/holiday thing. Same with mini boxes of cereal. My poor children. LOL
My kids would love mini boxes of sugared cereal!

Maggie, wife and mom to three
#21 of 45 Old 11-19-2009, 11:19 PM

I just picked up a bunch of stocking stuffers for my kids at the thrift stores -- they are crammed with donations right now -- maybe everyone is decluttering before the holidays? I love thrifting for stocking stuffers, particularly. We always take the wrapping off new things anyway to make more room in the stocking and less mess when opening them so it totally doesn't matter that items are not new.

I got several like-new kids dvds for a buck each, including Kiki's Delivery Service, which we've already borrowed four times from the library for family movie night Each child will get 2.

Also got some fun kids music cds and stories-read-aloud cds.

New hand-knit mittens in 100% wool in fun colors for 75 cents a pair (some older lady knits them in small sizes for the local charity shop to sell and I always pick some up for the children in my life.)

A $2 beanie baby each from the stuffy rack -- we don't keep large stuffies anymore, but our bin of beanies and webkinz sized stuffies gets a lot of play.

And, of course, hot wheels and sunglasses for the boys and hair elastics for my girl from the 10 cent box.

A paperback fantasy novel for my girl, a little book about ladybugs for my youngest, and a couple of archie comic digests for my middle child at a quarter each.

I will finish up with some oranges, a piece of chocolate or candy for each, a fun toothbrush, a nice little dollar store notebook, and a good pen or pencil for each (tradition), but pretty much, I am done.

I'm feeling a little better about the expense of the new wooden block set I ordered for them as a joint Santa gift. I found a nice set of unit blocks in a canvas bag for $3 that I'll add to the block present. And lots of children's books that will just suit my kids for not very much...

ETA thanks to the pp for reminding me about homemade lip balm! I was going to make some homemade lip balm and beeswax/olive oil/essential oil scented hand cream for my mom and sister this year! I should put some in dd's stocking as well....
#22 of 45 Old 11-19-2009, 11:34 PM

I love stockings!

I usually pick up extra crayons, markers and colored pencils during back to school time so those go in the stockings.

We don't drink soda, but my oldest loves orange soda so I got a 20oz bottle for her stocking.

I crocheted new washcloths for each of them with their initials.

shamrocksmile.gifAmber SAHM Fiber Artist Mom to:knit.gif
Maddison (9): Arwen (8): Finn (4): Aedan (2)

stork-suprise.gif Sept 2012

#23 of 45 Old 11-20-2009, 01:10 AM
A&A

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I love these coin purses as a stocking stuffer:

http://www.perpetualkid.com/index.as...OD&ProdID=3177

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
#24 of 45 Old 11-20-2009, 01:22 AM

We do a stocking (or last year started filling shoes) on the eve of St. Nick in early december, plus an "advent calendar" type of thing with a little whatnot every day Dec 1-31 (but these are re-used every year--playmobil santa stuff from many different sets).
Every year on st. nick I do a toothbrush, new jammies, slippers if needed, mittens, chapstick-things, orange, apple, nuts, chocolate, one candy cane...usually some little object dd likes to mess with --this year perhaps one of those polly pockets, as her cousin introduced them and she loved them.

SMC to dd 4/07.
#25 of 45 Old 11-20-2009, 04:25 AM

I saw a cute blog entry (which I cannot find now) about making your own candy necklaces, or bracelets. Just use a dull needle to string candy (they used jelly bellys) on some stretchy beading cord. You could use better quality candy.

I will give the girls pocket tissues, they love them.
coloring pages from the internet
a special food treat item (depends on what I can find)
decorated cookie

that is it. I always got an orange in my stocking and I tried to continue the tradition here. Problem is winter is clementine season in Japan and I literally buy them by the case. It is just not special enough. But as I write this fresh strawberries might be...

kathryn
#26 of 45 Old 11-20-2009, 10:07 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
I saw a cute blog entry (which I cannot find now) about making your own candy necklaces, or bracelets. Just use a dull needle to string candy (they used jelly bellys) on some stretchy beading cord. You could use better quality candy.
My 2 love to make these with o shaped cereal.
#27 of 45 Old 11-21-2009, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jewelsJZ View Post
Expanding on another thread that talked about stocking stuffers for adults, how about for kids? Could be homemade or something you purchase. My challenge for myself is I don't want to buy cheap plastic crap and I don't want to give them candy (already plenty of other sweets this time of year).

Here's what I have so far:

new toothbrush
lip gloss
socks/gloves/mittens from dollar store/spot
craft kits from JoAnn's dollar spot

Please add to the list, mommas.
Just back from JoAnn's, and boy, they had some cute stuff!

Catholic homeschooling mom of 5 - a teenager, a kindergartener, twin boys and a tiny princess. Follow the Adventures! 

#28 of 45 Old 11-21-2009, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A&A View Post
I love these coin purses as a stocking stuffer:

http://www.perpetualkid.com/index.as...OD&ProdID=3177
That site is the bomb! Thanks for sharing. I see my hopes and dreams of sticking to a budget has flown out the window. There is so much there my DS will love!
#29 of 45 Old 11-22-2009, 01:09 PM

As a kid my brother and I would usually get alot of functional stuff, but on the fun side.... like some fun smelling/looking soaps for the tub since the rest of the year we used the plain stuff our parents did... funky colored toothbrushes instead of the plain ones we would normally get and fruit flavored tubes of toothpaste (since we used the *boring* mint stuff the rest of the year)....and art supplies like small boxes of crayons and stickers. The only candy I ever really remember getting as a kid was a small bag of those foil-wrapped chocolate coins each year.

This thread is great.... I can't wait to be able to do a stocking for this LO when s/he comes along.

Jen knit.gif crafty mama LLLactivist to DS1 (2010)bouncy.gif and DS2 (2012)blahblah.giffamilybed2.gif nursex2.gifribbonjigsaw.gif
#30 of 45 Old 11-22-2009, 02:33 PM
A&A

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
That site is the bomb! Thanks for sharing. I see my hopes and dreams of sticking to a budget has flown out the window. There is so much there my DS will love!

I managed to just buy the coin purses, but yeah, they have a lot of fun stuff.

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page