Can I just vent for a minute!! (Car break in with financial implications) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-20-2009, 03:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am so frustrated! A few months ago my car was burglarized while parked in front of my house, and there wasn't much in there that was worth anything so I made a police report but didn't make a claim with my insurance. The missing items included, however, jumper cables (very frustrating later on when my car needed a jump) and my garage door opener (without which my garage door system is basically a waste...so while a small item, this impacts my home value...gggrrrrr). Some things were missing from the glove box, but I honestly don't know what was in there.

We had to switch over our bank accounts because I wasn't sure but thought I might have had a check book in there. It was such a hassle, and I am still getting my bill payments all straightened out.

I have since avoided parking on the street at all costs. My neighbors and I share a narrow driveway, and it can be a pain sometimes depending on how many cars they have at their house, but I always park in the driveway, which is set back behind our homes away from the street. I don't lock my car doors because (1) someone would have to be pretty bold to come up the driveway, and (2) I don't want to have to pay to replace my car window in case of another burglary. I do, however, try to either bring inside my purse and stuff, or hide anything of value.

So anyway, several years ago before our financial circumstances became as complicated as they are now, dw bought me a GPS for Christmas. She had to save up quite a bit to get it for me, and she bought a refurbished model so she could afford it. But I am not joking when I say it truly changed my life! I have a very poor spatial sense and get lost incredibly easily. I have spent probably as many hours lost in my life as I have on the toilet. It was impacting my life so much that I stopped going anywhere basically but work and home. When I got the GPS, I got a social life !

Well, this morning I had to go over to someone's house, and I went to go plug the address into my GPS. My GPS is gone! The last time I know for sure that we had it was last Saturday (about a week ago). I haven't noticed since then since I've just been going back and forth to work.

But I always lock my car doors at work, so this must have happened in my driveway! The GPS was under the seat, so someone was not only bold enough to come behind two houses right next to each other (with motion sensitive lights), but actually hunted around in the cars.

I feel badly, but I actually kind of suspect some friends of the neighbor kids (teens and young adults). These kids are getting into trouble all the time. I almost want to confront my neighbors about these friends, but I really like my neighbors and we have a great relationship and they do nice s**t all the time for us, like shoveling the driveway.

Anyway, I called my insurance and it would be covered under my home owner's policy, but of course there is a $1000 deductible on that.

I do not have a cent to my name, so there is no way I can pull off getting a new GPS. I've tried everything to reduce my capacity for getting lost, and nothing works, so I guess I am going back to being a recluse .

I am so upset .

I'm pro-adoption reform, but not anti-adoption.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2009, 07:10 PM

Ugh, I am so sorry! That must be so frustrating!
Old 11-20-2009, 07:14 PM

Ugh, Sierra, I'm sorry. That is awful. Bad enough to have the car broken into once, and have useful things stolen, but then the GPS too. I get you on the big change it's made - also got one last Christmas, and the charger broke. We haven't replaced it yet, but I've realized how much I got used to it for getting around anywhere. In our family it's my partner w/the difficulty with sense of direction, but the GPS helped w/all that anxiety.

What a bummer. We've had stuff taken a lot in our neighborhood. Recently shrubs i'd just planted (also expensive! ) and it messes with my sense of trust and good feelings towards neighbors.

teapot2.GIF Mama to my sweet girls: notes.gif (2/02) and energy.gif (2/08) and brokenheart.gif 3/11 and now belly.gif  EDD 5/24/14
Old 11-20-2009, 07:24 PM

I honestly would mention to the neighbors (keeping the I think its your kids friends part to myself) because as a neighbor I would like to know if something like that happened to be aware of my property and surroundings as well. A few yrs ago this type of thing was happening in our neighborhood and no one told anyone it wasnt until 2 very scary incidents (1 involving them going into a occupied home ) that everyone started talking about what was happening in the neighborhood.

I personally wouldnt leave anything in the car. Anything, especially a purse locked or not. I would take a close look at items that may contain things like SS# or acct #'s on car registations/insurance documents.
Old 11-21-2009, 01:03 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I would tell the neighbors that your car has been broken into twice now. Plus I'd keep my car locked.
Old 11-21-2009, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan's Mom View Post
Plus I'd keep my car locked.
Been through that and the broken windows. It sucks worse and costs way more.

I'd probably be *more* inclined to keep my car locked if this was an anomoly.

I live in a city with fairly high crime rates. Someone just lit a friend's car on fire a few weeks ago. A few months ago another friend's home was burglarized, and just before that one of my congregant's car windows was smashed in at church while the car was being burglarized.

It's not a question really of whether my car will get burglarized, but how much damage can be done in the process. My best bet is probably just to keep everything out of my car. Not that I have anything worth anything anymore LOL...not even jumper cables . Unless they are gonna take my kids' car seats.

Old 11-21-2009, 02:57 PM

So are you saying that your car was unlocked, because you don't want the windows broken, but you left your GPS in it?

That confuses me...
Old 11-21-2009, 03:42 PM

I totally get what you are saying about the GPS. Makes a HUGE difference for me. I have all of the fabric stores programmed into mine so I can make spontaneous trips for "needs" whenever. I used it just yesterday.

I also live in a fine neighborhood with lovely houses that borders some poorer areas. We too have shared driveways and a fair amount of on-street parking. And the same issues with car break-ins on the street. I honestly don't fear for anything, it's a lovely place to raise children, I'm happy with the schools, the diversity, the government, the services, etc. But I live in a city and I lock my car doors and I lock my house door.

My neighbor just sent an email saying that her car had been "probed." She had nothing of value but she could tell it had been rummaged. She had left it unlocked. I cannot wrap my brain around why someone would NOT lock their car doors ever. It's just a habit for me - I lock it every time. I hide the GPS in the glove box or take it with me if I think it will freeze. I know this is like closing the barn door after the horse (cow? City girl here) gets out, but really - lock the car door. If I was a thief, I'd totally try for the easy unlocked stuff before I risked breaking a window, getting cut and getting caught.

I'm really sorry about the GPS! I totally get it.

Third generation WOHM. I work by choice.
Old 11-21-2009, 03:50 PM

Sorry about your GPS, that sucks.

Are you sure your car insurance doesn't have 100% coverage on glass replacement? Meaning they will replace it with no deductible. (most do-I'd be sure to check) Or I'd add it. (It would be much cheaper than replacing stolen stuff IMHO) If you are not going to lock your car doors then I would be sure NOTHING of value is left inside of the car. Not even the car seats!

I am used to living in rural areas and now in parts of New England where it is VERY common to leave your house and car doors unlocked. I am vigilant about locking doors though. Makes me somewhat of a freak but I don't care. I had this happen to me once and learned my lesson the hard way.

Blissful Mama to DD-(5), DS-(6) and someone new due in November!
Old 11-21-2009, 05:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverSky View Post
So are you saying that your car was unlocked, because you don't want the windows broken, but you left your GPS in it?

That confuses me...
Hmmm...well, it wasn't smart.

Basically, my car *was* unlocked.

BUT:
1. My GPS was hidden underneath one of the kid's seats in the back.
2. It was parked on private property shared by myself and my neighbor.
3. The property is set well off the street, up on a hill behind our homes. We both have motion sensitive lights on our garages.
4. Our houses are close together, with only the narrow driveway separating them, and the back doors of our houses both are right next to the garages. The neighbor has a number of teen/young adult kids who are in and out all the time, and we don't use our front door, so it is a well monitored area. We have windows in the back of our homes that look onto the driveway by the garages, and my kids have this habit of looking out there anytime a car door shuts. Plus, we have a big dog who often barks when someone is anywhere near our cars or back door. It's not the kind of place someone who doesn't belong could easily go without being noticed (hence me thinking it might have been friends of the neighbor kids...I really trust the neighbor kids, and they have been super sweet to us, which is why I have generally trusted that they'd keep their friends in line).

We've only lived here for a year and a half, but honestly I've never had any problems when the car has been parked in the driveway. It is so tucked back, that it didn't seem a fluke that I'd been able to leave all kinds of stuff in my car no problem.

Again, I never claimed it was smart, but I did have some logic behind what I did.

Old 11-21-2009, 05:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbowmoon View Post
Sorry about your GPS, that sucks.

Are you sure your car insurance doesn't have 100% coverage on glass replacement? Meaning they will replace it with no deductible. (most do-I'd be sure to check) Or I'd add it. (It would be much cheaper than replacing stolen stuff IMHO)
Good point. We've always had to opt for the minimum insurance required by law in order to afford the monthly payments, so I am used to no coverage for things like this. When my windows have gotten broken in the past, it has never been covered and I've had to pay a couple hundred dollars out of pocket. So you can see why I have this association with locking doors . But actually I should check because where I live now, the minimum coverage required is higher and they might just happen to have something like this written into the policy.

User Tag List