what is a typical amount of $ spent per child? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 90 Old 11-25-2009, 02:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
For christmas, what is the typical budget per child for a typical family?

Just curious.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 90 Old 11-25-2009, 03:22 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
We do $150 per child or if there is a joint gift We do $100 for each child then $100-$150 for the joint gift. We have 2 children, a few years ago it was a play kitchen, another year a plan doll house.

Pax, loving wife since 2001, Mother of DD1 (12) and DD2 (8 1/2). Entering our 5th year of Homeschooling: Eclectic mix of curriculum and child interest lead. Backyard urban chicken chasers.
#3 of 90 Old 11-25-2009, 03:28 AM

For us, it's normally $30-$50 per child. This year with DH so sick and out of work, it's going to be about $10 per child (if that). DD only wants workbooks (she's very into school!!), so I can get those at the dollar store, which is awesome.
#4 of 90 Old 11-25-2009, 05:09 AM

This year it's about $200 per child and $300 for our oldest. I would like to say that we don't buy toys and such during the year though.
#5 of 90 Old 11-25-2009, 11:16 AM

Only one present here, but that's from santa, and everything else is homemade. So 20-30 depending on what it is, plus all the stocking goodies and whatnots that come with winter holiday time.

SMC to dd 4/07.
#6 of 90 Old 11-25-2009, 11:25 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
It used to be $100, now I'd say it's been bumped up to $150 each. Like a previous poster said they don't often get toys or "stuff" outside of birthdays and Christmas, unless it comes from a garage sale.

student/sahm to three awesome girls who are always on the go!
#7 of 90 Old 11-25-2009, 11:30 AM

Ds doesn't *really* have an average lol He's 3, this is his 4th xmas and it's been all over the map

First xmas(4 months) $15 at most
second xmas(1.5 y) $150(dh got a bonus of a g/c for a mall so we bought ds a ton of instrauments, real hand drums a small piano ect)
third xmas(2.5) $40.00 at most

THIS YEAR- ds is getting about 20.00-30(AT MOST!!) spent and Dd(11 months) is getting prob 10ish

mommy daddy son daughter = our family
#8 of 90 Old 11-25-2009, 11:38 AM

My budget is $75/kid (keep in mind I have four) with the hope I won't go above $100.
#9 of 90 Old 11-25-2009, 11:42 AM

We're up to $80 so far, and won't be adding to that unless I find a great deal on something she'd love.

My SIL and BIL's families spend much more. Easily over $200 per kid. Some years closer to $300.

Me , DH , Emmy (5/08), and new baby Tilda (1/10)
#10 of 90 Old 11-25-2009, 12:06 PM

This year we spent about $300 on our three year old and about $500 on our fourteen year old. This amount includes fun but useful gifts like bunny slippers and tie dyed boxer briefs. We would have bought slippers and underwear anyway but it is considered a gift since it's the more expensive and fun version if that makes sense. Also 14yo DS is getting things like an AXE body wash/ shampoo gift set. So it's not all frivolous, you know?

I think the Christmas price tag goes up with age.
#11 of 90 Old 11-25-2009, 12:10 PM

Last year we did about $20 per child, plus a few little stocking things (couldn't have been more than $5 for each stocking). I'm glad we did that cause money's even tighter this year for us! They get sooo many presents from their grandparents, though, that we still end up with way more than any kid needs
#12 of 90 Old 11-25-2009, 12:20 PM

For pure toys this year its going to be about $400. the biggies are an a Itouch or DS, a lego city set and the Mario Winter Games for Wii.

However he will also get books (we give him a world almanac ever year), small (think $2-$5) gifts for his stocking, some candy.

As a tradition he will also get new jammies on christmas eve.

The other thing we do is not get any new clothes in the fall (no "back to school" shopping since it stays warm for quite a while) so under the tree he will also find socks, underwear, a new winter coat (if last years doesn't fit) and any other clothes he might need.

So all in all I probably spend $600 but since we buy basically nothing in Aug thru Dec it averages out to be just over $100 a month which as % to total income is not a lot.

I have christmas account that I add to all year long so no credit card debt for us. This account covers all christmas presents (son, husband and homemade gifts for family/friends), nanny bonus and gift, teacher gifts and about $200 bucks for the family we "adopt" each year. It also covers the big holiday meal. In January I will go thru all the receipts and then come up with next years budget. I put the $$ in a high interest saving account as every dollar counts! This year I might have some xtra leftover which is always a nice surprise.

Pardon me while I puke.gif

#13 of 90 Old 11-25-2009, 12:22 PM

We are spending about $40 (DS is 7mo) but we try and do second hand for everything so I got a $25 wooden baby sled, a Waldorf puzzle from a MDC Mama for when he is a little older , and I made him this http://www.make-baby-stuff.com/bunny-pattern.html bunny out of corduroy scraps, so cute!

Dirt worshiping, creatress Mama to Rowan and Alden - home birth loving, no circ, no vax, extended breast feeding, cloth diapering, baby wearing, cosleeping

#14 of 90 Old 11-25-2009, 12:27 PM

We do about 50$ for DS. I imagine that will go up to ~150 as he gets older and has more expensive taste in gifts (assuming we can afford it). I certainly don't feel guilty spending 50$ and I could easily knock that down to 25 if I needed to.

Of course, we have lots of generous relatives so if we were the only one buying gifts for DS, we would probably spend a bit more.

Suzan, mama to DS 9-18-07 and #2 EDD 3/4/10 GIRL!.
#15 of 90 Old 11-25-2009, 12:34 PM

We stick to these rules....

Something you want
Something you need
Something to wear
Something to read

so it really depends on what those are...

We are pretty much done with our Xmas shopping this year and have spent about 700$ in all for the whole family and that includes two larger gifts which are joint gifts (120$ and 200$) so really the amount per kid is less than 100$...

just to add... my kids don't get any other gifts from family... so what they get is what we buy...

~paxye~
Mama to Xavier (July 02) , Colin (Sept 04), Khéna(Nov 06) & Wilhelmina (Jan 10)
#16 of 90 Old 11-25-2009, 12:42 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Around here, it's somewhere between $50 and $100, but closer to $50, I'd guess.

We do the "something you want..." thing, too.

For example, for my third, it will probably be...
Something you want: a wooden sword (I think I saw one for $10 on ebay)
Something you need: a pair of pirate pants and matching shirt. I already have the materials, mostly, and will make them, so maybe $5 for supplies and a shirt?
Something to play with: a wooden scooter I got on ebay for $20, including shipping
Something to read: TAG reading system with book ($9 on super sale at Target w. coupons + a $7 book from a Toys R Us sale; we don't usually do this sort of electronic book, but we homeschool and this will give him something fun to do on his own)

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#17 of 90 Old 11-25-2009, 12:45 PM

We're probably in the $50 range. I like stockings, and I'll spend easily $15 on just the stocking. All those sweet little presents! So much fun!
#18 of 90 Old 11-25-2009, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzyLee View Post
Of course, we have lots of generous relatives so if we were the only one buying gifts for DS, we would probably spend a bit more.

Intersting point. We don't have any close relatives that spend any signficant amount money/time on gifts for our our son since my mom died. Most Aunts/Uncles spend about $10 for something small-a book, a puzzle and those are jsut the 2 we see regularly. So all in all maybe 2-3 gifts outside of what he gets from us.

I don't think I would spend less if we had tons of relatives showering him with gifts since we usually stick to 3 "big" toys and the rest is all stuff he needs anyway.

And (this is going sound worse than I mean it to be) I really don't remember any of the gifts I received from Aunts/Uncles/Grandparents. But I do remember the feel, the smell, the sounds of christmas morning in my childhood home. My folks were big on traditions that still resonate today. Like chocolate gelt in the bottom of our stockings as well as a tangerine. A big holiday breakfast, taking turns with presents. All five of us kids received 1 "big" gift so I remember so many them. And today I appreciate how much my folks sacrificed. The stuff I received from random relatives at the huge hullabaloo family Christmas dinner just seemed like stuff and was soon forgotten.

But those are *my* issues!

Pardon me while I puke.gif

#19 of 90 Old 11-25-2009, 01:09 PM

Well so far her "big" present cost $5.It's a sleeping bag in a back pack from the Good Will.I made her a mermaid tail with fabric that cost about $2.I spent about $5 on stocking stuffers.And I still want to get her a hula hoop and a lunch box.

Last year I spent about the same.

#20 of 90 Old 11-25-2009, 01:49 PM

Hmmm... maybe about $20 on stocking things. I don't get a lot of Christmas gifts for my daughter because the relatives go waaaaay overboard. We usually do a couple "I love you presents" (as she calls them) throughout the year instead.
#21 of 90 Old 11-25-2009, 01:49 PM

In the past we've spent about 75-100 each for five stepkids and one grandkid. This year there is a second grandkid. And no bonuses from work so we're keeping it to about 50 for each.
#22 of 90 Old 11-25-2009, 02:14 PM

I think probably $50-$75 per kid. But it depends. Last year the older boys got a joint gift of a Wii from Santa. I am sure it cost him more than that.

Usually each kiddo in our house gets one big present from mama and daddy and one from Santa and maybe a couple of little things each.
#23 of 90 Old 11-25-2009, 03:16 PM

It varies every year. One year we spent more than $500 on 1 of our children, as he wanted a particular gift that was quite pricey. This year, for that same child, it'll be about $160ish, but that will include the stocking, and some basics - 2 pairs of pajamas, socks, undies, new sneakers, plus the 2 or 3 things he actually asked for, and a few other little things we felt he needed or would like. The other kids are getting closer to $100, but they also get some basics. I am keeping a running tally in Excel, including gifts for dh and I, our kids, 8 neices and nephews, grandparents, 3 teachers, 2 friends, etc... we're at $1069. this year.
#24 of 90 Old 11-25-2009, 03:31 PM

I'm trying to keep it at $200 per child (x4). It's not a ton of toys, but that as they get older it seems like stuff costs more (like a wii game alone is $50). That and DD want clothes, which can be pricey, but at least I know I would be spending money on them regardless, so bonus that they count as gifts.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#25 of 90 Old 11-25-2009, 03:32 PM

125 each for us, including stockings and new homeschool materials. While I've bought some ahead and thrift stores, etc., I also want it to be low stress on me in terms of hunting around. We don't tend to buy toys other than birthdays and Christmas.

DHs may be more, since he really wanted Jung's Red Book, and it's $$$. But, I got a 40% off coupon on top of a Barnes and Noble membership, which made it $65. He'll be so surprised!

Happy with my DH, 2 kids, dog, fish, and frogs
#26 of 90 Old 11-25-2009, 03:35 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
As kids get older the $$ goes up.... DS is 9 and things are $$.... While I try to shop sales during the year etc it still adds up. Since there is only *my* side of the family and they live across the country they usually send gift cards. This x-mas Ds is obsessed with Legos and those complex sets are $$. Don't even get me started on Mindstorms (which he is NOT getting this year)... I do have some home-made items as well like the blanket etc. But I just dont want to think about the total cost, honestly, its probably way toooooooo much.

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#27 of 90 Old 11-25-2009, 03:37 PM

I budget $25 per kid for their gift and then another $25 for their stocking.

mama to   broc1.gif DS 6/06 and banana.gif DS 4/08
#28 of 90 Old 11-25-2009, 03:50 PM

We usually do one big-ish gift and then some smaller toys, plus a simple stocking.

DD is 3 this year and she's getting:

-A felt board doll house including all the people and furniture for her big gift. This was about $60 including shipping, and she's going to LOVE it.
-A Tinkerbell toy she is asking Santa for. ($10)
-Playdoh she's asking Santa for. ($10-$15 depending on what we get.)
-Pajamas ($12 for two pairs)

Then I will spend $10-$20 on little stocking things like fun chap stick, socks & gloves, candy, etc.

We've asked for craft supplies from grandparents, and my grandma gave us $100 to buy DD a little violin because DD wants to play like me.

Momma to Sweet Rosie 7/06, Lost Baby J 1/09 at 12 weeks pregnant, Spitfire Ada born 4/21/10, and Baby Boy due July/August 2013!
Aspiring urban homesteader, photographer, homeschooling momma! Blog link in my profile. 

#29 of 90 Old 11-25-2009, 04:40 PM

We don't really have a set amount per year...it is kind of whatever we can afford that year but we never go above $150 per child. This year is really tight on money so we are getting the girls (they are 3 and 4) each a baby doll from santa plus new pjs and slippers and then a new book. We will prob. spend $50 each this year.

Student/Working Mama notes.gifgeek.gif
to DD 1dust.gif & DD 2energy.gif & engaged to DFpartners.gif

#30 of 90 Old 11-25-2009, 05:39 PM

i'm going to try to do $100 for both kids. DS's birthday is just before Christmas. he got his first bike two weeks ago for an early present. i wanted him to be able to ride it before it was too cold.

both kids get horribly spoiled by grandparents and i don't feel like we need to get them much at all. we will be getting a Wii game and some Lego's for DS and DD will be getting some small toys and clothes.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page