December Low Income Thread - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 185 Old 12-10-2009, 05:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Yes I've recieved 'holiday assistance' before and it was wonderful. I didn't really ask for specific things and was just happy for the help. (I am a bit more mainstream then many on here) I think the year DS was 4 we recieved help and it really made his holiday. DS recieved some wonderful toys (mainstream, plastic stuff) that I wouldnt have been able to get him and they gave me an overflowing box of groceries. l also qualified for something the year DS was 7 and recieved 2 toys for him and they agency paid my electric bill. Last year the same agency did the same thing 2 toys but since I no longer had my own place (roomate situation) and dont have utilities I was able to get a gift card to a local drug store since one of my rx is not covered under our state insurance plan. This year I didnt sign up for the program even though we more than qualified. I felt like it was someone elses turn.

I never thought the donated presents overshadowed the gifts I got for DS. But I would never not give him something, espically a donated present that could be going to another needy family. That just wouldnt be right IMO. (unless of course it was totally against my beliefs but they usually give generic toys and make sure there are no weapons etc)

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#62 of 185 Old 12-10-2009, 06:44 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Oops, I forgot to sub to the new thread!

stillheart.gif The Hippie & the Marine stillheart.gif  hh2.gif
My boys: S (4) & O (2) & Expecting #3 in Dec. 2011

#63 of 185 Old 12-11-2009, 05:13 PM

Okay, I just got off the phone with a SafeLink CSR, and here's the deal:

SafeLink phones do NOT come with Double Minutes for Life, the way that all other new TracFones do. However, if you buy the $25 DMFL card, it WILL work if you apply it to your SafeLink phone. The free 68 minutes per month that you get free from SafeLink will NOT double, but any minutes that you purchase (TracFone cards) WILL double.

Just to confuse things... the government will only allow the cell companies to charge 20c per minute on phones subsidized via the Lifeline program. So if you buy a $20, 60 minute TracFone card for your SafeLink phone, and you do NOT have DMFL, you will get 100 minutes. If you DO have DMFL, you'll get 120 minutes. Even if you buy the smaller denomination cards, with the higher cost per minute, having DMFL will benefit you, though not as much.

So DMFL makes sense if you use your phone every day, and/or if you buy minutes in bulk: for example, if you spend $80 on a 450 minute card and you don't have DMFL, you are paying 17c per minute, so you aren't going to get any extra minutes. But if you have DMFL, you'll get 900 minutes for the $80 card, and that lowers your per minute rate to 8.5c per minute.

If you don't have a home phone, honestly, I'd go ahead and buy the Smart Talk phone and get the $30/mo 1000 minutes, 1000 texts plan, and keep the SafeLink as backup. SafeLink minutes roll over, so if you are broke one month and can't shell out $30 for a regular cell phone, you'd at least be able to use all those minutes that have rolled over.

I do have a home phone, and I'm only going to have a SafeLink for emergencies and traveling. But because I know I will use it a whole lot more when traveling, I think I'm going to go ahead and spend the $25 on the DMFL card. Because SafeLink doesn't have to be reactivated every 90 days the way regular TracFones do (it reactivates every month when you get your 68 free minutes), I feel good about going ahead and buying the $80 card with DMFL, because I know those minutes will get used eventually, and I won't have to worry about spending more money so they don't expire.

If you get Assurance, you get 200 free minutes per month, yes, but Virgin charges 20c per minute for additional service, the end. There's no buying minutes in bulk or using DMFL to cut your per minute cost. So, again, if you don't have a home phone, it seems like it'd be a good idea to go the Smart Talk route for your main phone, and keep Assurance as a back up phone. As yet, I have been unable to confirm that Assurance minutes roll over if unused, but I presume they do as this is administered thru the same federal program (Lifeline) that SafeLink is.

HTH somebody.

Trying to turn hearts and minds toward universal healthcare, one post at a time.
#64 of 185 Old 12-11-2009, 09:11 PM

Just thought I would chime in about the cell phone thing:

Boost mobile has $50/month for unlimited web access, texting and minutes (day and night)
Virgin mobile has $40/month for like 400 minutes and unlimited nights and weekends, or $50/month for unlimited minutes all the time. Web/texting are extra.
Frawg wireless apparently (I haven't verified this yet) has $40/month unlimited everything (web, minutes and texting)

All of those plans are prepaid, so you buy a compatible phone (they start around $20 new), and a phone card in the amount you want, and then just cal the phone number and give them the pin# off the card to activate your minutes. At the end of the month, the phone just cuts off until you buy another phone card. No credit check or contract or anything.

I have boost right now and like a pp said am keeping safelink phone for a month when I'm broke and I'll have all those minutes saved up. Hope that helps someone who might be needing a cheap phone...tracfone is waaay too expensive IMO.

Very blessed mama to one bouncin' boy bouncy.gif (12/07) one angel3.gif who didn't get to stay (6/09), one potty learning, mess making divaenergy.gif(4/10), and one cheerful milk monster. aabfwoman.gif (12/11) Happy partner to the love of my lifedp_malesling.GIF.  

#65 of 185 Old 12-12-2009, 12:46 PM

I've got a cell phone through SafeLink that I just got info about needing to redo my certification on. We also have a home line that does not have long distance so when we have to call long distance we use the cell phone. I work at home on the pc and dh has an interview next week for a full time job that after training would also have him working at home on the pc. For us that means high speed internet is a must have for work. Because of that we have been debating getting something like a MagicJack for long distance. With working from home neither of us has to spend much time on the road or anything like that so we can keep the SafeLink phone just for emergencies.

Our big update is the amount of overtime dh has been able to get with his temp job. He is only working through New Year's so very limited time frame on this job. The good thing is he has an interview for a job that will be working at home after training and we know a lady that works in the office there from the time we spent in the shelter. Hopefully everything works out well with the job and he will be able to go from the temp job to a new full time situation.

Kristina mom to A 1/12 J 11/05 D 4/08 and tiny dude in late April 2010
#66 of 185 Old 12-12-2009, 08:07 PM

Hi mamas,

We have had some cold days and nights. The room I sleep in is nearly as cold as the outside temp, but the kids have a nice warm room. My girls cuddle together, and my son sleeps alone in another room. We spend alot of time building the fire in the wood furnace. My parents and I have vastly different taste in foods, and dinner time is very stressful due to that. Last night my mom expressed her frustration with us living with them, and I felt like crying. Actually I did. I became so sensitive. And then later she told me that I am too strict with my children. It hurt to hear both things. My father has cancer, and it may have spread to his bones (concern by the doctor) so we are all just very touchy right now and worried.

I'm just now getting into a place where I can start looking for a new place and at that, it will be a low income place. I really want to get out of my parents home and at the same time it is helping me to come up with money for a deposit. Please send me hugs while I navigate this difficult time.

I'm thinking about doing something special for my parents for Christmas, but I don't have much money to spend. They LOVE my children, so I have taken some photos of them on my parents farm and plan to do a three hinged photo frame with each child's photo in there. I really hope they will like it,because it is all I have to give.

I really hope that all of you are staying warm, have food in your bellies, and love in your family.

Vegetarian Hindu, mother to L,P and R. 
#67 of 185 Old 12-12-2009, 11:36 PM

Maybe someone will have some advice....I want to cry on my bf's behalf.

He just called me to tell me that his job at dollar tree suspended him for a WEEK because he worked too many hours last week (he made exactly 40 hours). He was hired as seasonal part time, but almost every day he has been calling me telling me a piece of good news: the general manager liked him, the store manager said she would make sure he had work after the holiday season because he is efficient and gets things done quickly, another person there wasn't doing her job and was suspended (after REPEATED warnings) so if she was suspended again, they were looking at him as a replacement, which would mean guaranteed 40 hrs plus benefits.

Tonight his store manager calls and tells him to not work this week's schedule because HER manager called and said he is only part time and shouldn't have had so many hours, so he is suspended. Not only does that cut his next paycheck in half but suspension as he took it to mean is a formal thing like getting "written up." It is bad on his record. And all this time his manager, knowing our situation and that he is trying to help me out financially with this baby on the way and us being 8 hours apart, has been giving him as many hours as she could. Then with no warning he gets punished.

On top of that thefamily where he is staying is beginning to feel a little crowded (they have two dd's who are sharing a room so he can have his own room) and asked him to find someplace else by the end of the month. We thought that with his next paycheck he'd have enough for a deposit on an apt.

We both have bad credit so I can't even help him by cosigning or something.

Can he fight that? It seems so unfair to suspend someone with no warning for something they didn't even know they were doing wrong.

Very blessed mama to one bouncin' boy bouncy.gif (12/07) one angel3.gif who didn't get to stay (6/09), one potty learning, mess making divaenergy.gif(4/10), and one cheerful milk monster. aabfwoman.gif (12/11) Happy partner to the love of my lifedp_malesling.GIF.  

#68 of 185 Old 12-13-2009, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satori View Post
ohhh, that was CHDP which was back in June. Full Medi-cal is still available and if baby qualifies then so does mama
ooh, thanks for that info. i will apply this week, since i am due in late january!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthsMamma View Post
I love staying home with DS...
hey there! we are naming my new son (due in January) Rowan as well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GinP View Post
What I'm considering is learning how to cut hair. I figure it could save the entire household as much as $60 a month--part of my contribution.
i also cut the hair of myself, my DP, and anyone else who wants it. it's pretty easy, if they are simple styles. and clippers really help for short styles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leta View Post
Does anyone have SafeLink?
dang. i live in CA, in one of the most expensive parts of the country, and it is not offered. sigh.

Mama to a 3 year old awesome kid, Rowan (aka Mister Boopy) and TTC another at 43!

fambedsingle1.gif gd.gifnovaxnocirc.gif vbac.gif goorganic.jpg

Herbalist, Acupuncture student, Mama, Blogger!

#69 of 185 Old 12-13-2009, 01:29 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
FYI if anyone needs gift wrap items CVS has bows, gift tags, and tissue paper free after extra care buck today and tomorrow. Some of the bows I got would do very nicely for birthday presents as well - they weren't very Christmasy.

Just though I'd mention it - lets you use your money twice.

Me, 29, Muslim hijab.gif single mama to T age 7 energy.gif We homeschool.gif saynovax.giffambedsingle1.gif and Love it!
#70 of 185 Old 12-13-2009, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frugalmama View Post
FYI if anyone needs gift wrap items CVS has bows, gift tags, and tissue paper free after extra care buck today and tomorrow. Some of the bows I got would do very nicely for birthday presents as well - they weren't very Christmasy.

Just though I'd mention it - lets you use your money twice.
I always try to buy occasion neutral wrapping paper/bows And of course, I recycle gift bags!

#71 of 185 Old 12-13-2009, 03:28 PM

Hi, Mamas! Hugs to you all! I can see you all working SO HARD to take care of your families and do the best for them, be the best for them with very little and as you go through such tough times. Kudos to you all!

I'm in your boat, and i find such inspiration in this forum. And such comradarie. I sometimes feel very alone and sorry for myself b/c we have so little in the ways of finances, and we feel so beaten down by this economy. But it's important to remember that when our children grow up and set us up in beachside condos, we'll laugh about these times and pride ourselves in our creativity and what we did to get by! Oh, the stories we'll have!

Thank you all for sharing your stories. You are a true inspiration.
#72 of 185 Old 12-13-2009, 05:07 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Well mama's I'm feeling pretty crappy today xmas is 12 days away and I'm still wondering how were going to pull it off gift wise dd's SSI eval was supposed to be yesterday and on the way out of town to it I checked the mail and guess what, Its been post phoned until mid January! I failed out this semester thanks to everything that's gone wrong and missing so much school so chances are I won't get another pell grant since I was already on probation due to failing out before because of the kids medical issues. 3 semesters of passing all my classes with no fin aid but the one semester I apply for it again? yeah I fail out due to circumstances beyond my control. The fin aid rep on the phone told me I'd probably have to repay the pell grant too since I didn't pass 8 of my 9 units So it looks like I'm dropping out of school, I'm at the point where I have to attend on campus for labs, my parents already told me in no uncertain terms they will not watch older dd next semester as there moving out of state in the middle of the term and they need work on getting the house ready to sell and move. Without the SSI I can't afford a sitter for her (and if the appt is mid January even if its approved there is no way I'd get a check before the semester starts) and I can't even do WTW to get the babysitting covered because I only have an 8 hr block of care covered for younger dd since the agency won't allow the nurse to do a 10 or 12 hour shift and its an hour drive into the city, god knows there's no jobs here. There's no way I could do there 32 hours week plus 10 hours commute time (assuming no traffic and good weather, we got snowed in 3 days ago), that's 42 hours when I only have a nurse for 40 hours). Lets not forget all the Dr/therapy appts we have) I'm just feeling caught between a rock and a hard place and like were never going to get out of poverty because I can't get through school I'm just waiting for shut off notices for phone/internet/electric. I spent the money on our 4 day trip at the hospital last week (gas/lodging) as my parents said they would help cover the bills and it would basically be a money swap ( I cover that now and they would cover the bills in 2 weeks when they had the money), umm yeah, they can't help out now

oh yeah, the nurse has the day off so no help keeping the kids separated and the kids are being little house destroying monsters and fighting like cats and dogs. I got them in separate rooms watching a movie but I don't see that lasting long I just wanna hide under a rock I'm feeling so depressed and stressed out Did I mention my sciatica is killing me again?

Seriously?
#73 of 185 Old 12-14-2009, 02:04 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Satori, I'm sure this is an obvious question but how the heck are you susposed to get a job when the nurse is an '8 hr' shift? Aren't most JOBS 8 hrs plus commuting time? My sitter is contracted for 10 hrs a day (maxed at 50 hrs a week) but she is a flexible inhome provider
My parents are the same way about my child. Granted they live 1/2 way across the country but they dont understand my educational choices for him nor do they understand his educational needs.

SS things stink right now... 2010 HAS TO BE BETTER

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#74 of 185 Old 12-14-2009, 04:31 AM

when dh lost his job in June we got on food stamps. We qualified for $980.00 the day we went in to apply for emergency funds. The benefits were suppose to last till September. We were suppose to receive $1080 for food, August and September. Dh got a job right away so we were grateful to still have the extra help for food. August 1st, I went to purchase food with the food stamps and it didn't work.

I called the case worker. She said she was on vacation over the 4th of July holiday and didn't submit my paper work until she got back. It was too late by then. We submitted via mail because we had no gas to get anywhere, on the 20th of June. Her story doesn't add up. I would at least be getting a cancellation notice right? I didn't get it until a few weeks after the phone call.

Anyways, for a family of 7 food, according to them, cost $1000.00 per month. that is really sobering.

without the help, we have NEVER had that much for food. It was the best time we have ever eaten! It was so nice not to have to skip meals. I'm feeling a twinge bit of greed just to be able to do that again! I would just love to eat three meals a day and snacks with REAL food!

Thats just a dream.

We're dealing with higher expenses and taxes have increased so its a really tight wad in this family. We have butter in the fridge and a few canned foods in the cubbord. two more days till pay day...

I'm just so frustrated. and hungry. So are the children. I did a "do I qualify for food stamps?" calculator. It said we made too much money.

I don't see how! We do not live an extravagant lifestyle. I'm negative and we have no food.

Times are not so good for us. Especially since its the holidays. The grandparents on my dh side bought them each a gift. So, they will have something to open. I'm grateful for that.
#75 of 185 Old 12-14-2009, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitful womb View Post
when dh lost his job in June we got on food stamps. We qualified for $980.00 the day we went in to apply for emergency funds. The benefits were suppose to last till September. We were suppose to receive $1080 for food, August and September. Dh got a job right away so we were grateful to still have the extra help for food. August 1st, I went to purchase food with the food stamps and it didn't work.

I called the case worker. She said she was on vacation over the 4th of July holiday and didn't submit my paper work until she got back. It was too late by then. We submitted via mail because we had no gas to get anywhere, on the 20th of June. Her story doesn't add up. I would at least be getting a cancellation notice right? I didn't get it until a few weeks after the phone call.

Anyways, for a family of 7 food, according to them, cost $1000.00 per month. that is really sobering.

without the help, we have NEVER had that much for food. It was the best time we have ever eaten! It was so nice not to have to skip meals. I'm feeling a twinge bit of greed just to be able to do that again! I would just love to eat three meals a day and snacks with REAL food!

Thats just a dream.

We're dealing with higher expenses and taxes have increased so its a really tight wad in this family. We have butter in the fridge and a few canned foods in the cubbord. two more days till pay day...

I'm just so frustrated. and hungry. So are the children. I did a "do I qualify for food stamps?" calculator. It said we made too much money.

I don't see how! We do not live an extravagant lifestyle. I'm negative and we have no food.

Times are not so good for us. Especially since its the holidays. The grandparents on my dh side bought them each a gift. So, they will have something to open. I'm grateful for that.

For the FS if you get them back use the extra to stock a pantry with healthy food so when you don't get them it will hold you over. More then once we've had to live out of the pantry/freezer for up to 2 months and were ok because I used the extra to stock things and always always always have at least several lbs of various dried beans and rice for each person in the house with the know how of how to cook them I know its really tempting, and I'm not saying you did it but we have done it before and used the extra FS on pricier items or convenience items (when it comes to a GF convenience item the money adds up FAST) instead of stocking the pantry and let me tell you, I seriously regretted it.

Anyway, not judging, just asking, is it possible your lifestyle is more extravagant then you realize to want to admit to? I know at one point I really had to admit that things I thought were needs were really wants and could be cut out of the budget and that I was spending money on little things without even really realizing it. It all added up and all the money would be gone with me going WTF did it all go?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra15 View Post
Satori, I'm sure this is an obvious question but how the heck are you susposed to get a job when the nurse is an '8 hr' shift? Aren't most JOBS 8 hrs plus commuting time? My sitter is contracted for 10 hrs a day (maxed at 50 hrs a week) but she is a flexible inhome provider
My parents are the same way about my child. Granted they live 1/2 way across the country but they dont understand my educational choices for him nor do they understand his educational needs.

SS things stink right now... 2010 HAS TO BE BETTER
I asked the same thing, the nurse is more then happy to work it, the state gives me 45.5 hours week to use however I see fit whether thats 9 hours a day 5 days a week or 45 hours straight but the nursing agency only allows 8 hour shifts and thanks to living an hour from the city where the rest of the nurses are if I want anything over 8 I have to do a 16 hour day "because no one is going to be willing to do 2 hours of commute time for less then 8 hours work" and they can't guarantee other staffing. I only got this nurse because she lives out here. I could take her to the center in the city but then I run into the cost of care for older dd who has to have a private in home provider and still can't do WTW because I can't do the full 32 hours. It really really sucks that WTW is all or nothing. I could do part time but no way can I pull off the full 32 hours even if you counted my school credits and they dont account for travel time here so you could literally spend 6 hours a day on the bus/wait time(I do this on school days ) 5 days a week and still be expected to work your 32 hours.

Seriously?
#76 of 185 Old 12-14-2009, 01:00 PM

Quote:

Thats just a dream.

DO you have an emergency food pantry that you can go to? They give staples like rice, beans, canned foods, peanut butter, etc. That would help with some little stuff.

When I have an abundance of FS I also stock up my pantry for times that we don't get any or not enough.

ETA: Have you tried WIC too?

#77 of 185 Old 12-14-2009, 01:23 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Have you tried the churches in your area? This time of year people donate more so there is more available to give out. A couple of pounds of beans and rice go a long way. Especially if you have tortillas. Hugs to you. I'm so sorry your family is hungry.
#78 of 185 Old 12-14-2009, 04:24 PM

Quote:
For the FS if you get them back use the extra to stock a pantry with healthy food so when you don't get them it will hold you over. More then once we've had to live out of the pantry/freezer for up to 2 months and were ok because I used the extra to stock things and always always always have at least several lbs of various dried beans and rice for each person in the house with the know how of how to cook them I know its really tempting, and I'm not saying you did it but we have done it before and used the extra FS on pricier items or convenience items (when it comes to a GF convenience item the money adds up FAST) instead of stocking the pantry and let me tell you, I seriously regretted it.

Anyway, not judging, just asking, is it possible your lifestyle is more extravagant then you realize to want to admit to? I know at one point I really had to admit that things I thought were needs were really wants and could be cut out of the budget and that I was spending money on little things without even really realizing it. It all added up and all the money would be gone with me going WTF did it all go?
That is what I did. I spent the money on food that were, to me, healthier.
I'm just being honest here. I bought organic food, thinking we'd have FS for August and September too, we were covered for the month of July (and supposedly for those extra two months as well) even though that's when the case worker said she cut us off.

Your question, do I think I'm being more extravagant than I realize.

Absolutely. But it doesn't feel that way to me.
So, I've subscribed to the "No Spend Challenge" Thread and I'm committed to being extremely honest with it, in front of a gazillion witnesses. So I can truly see for myself where the money goes.

I've done book-keeping before with a registrar and way too many haunting charges, charges I can't account for kept creeping up on me. I've called the bank, went to the bank many times (sure they're sick of me by now) reassuring myself that I'm doing the registrar right. I've been successful with a registrar before and I can't recall it ever being this difficult before.

I'm hoping to start fresh since I've been negative, -39 in my account, and -42 in the main account, I haven't spent money in several weeks because of it. I shouldn't fear any haunting charges.
#79 of 185 Old 12-14-2009, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommaof3boz View Post
Have you tried the churches in your area? This time of year people donate more so there is more available to give out. A couple of pounds of beans and rice go a long way. Especially if you have tortillas. Hugs to you. I'm so sorry your family is hungry.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzyQ View Post
DO you have an emergency food pantry that you can go to? They give staples like rice, beans, canned foods, peanut butter, etc. That would help with some little stuff.

When I have an abundance of FS I also stock up my pantry for times that we don't get any or not enough.

ETA: Have you tried WIC too?
I went to the food bank last week. And we have left over peanut butter, and 2 boxes of minestrone soup, a can of chicken noodles and beans.

We're cooking the beans right now and will eat that today. I'll cook the soup tonight for the kids.

We'll get paid tomorrow. I'm hoping to redeem myself.

I just sent dh after the phone so I can call WIC and make an appointment.

thank you for your suggestions and concerns. we'll make it through this.
#80 of 185 Old 12-14-2009, 05:06 PM

Quote:
I went to the food bank last week. And we have left over peanut butter, and 2 boxes of minestrone soup, a can of chicken noodles and beans.

We're cooking the beans right now and will eat that today. I'll cook the soup tonight for the kids.

We'll get paid tomorrow. I'm hoping to redeem myself.

I just sent dh after the phone so I can call WIC and make an appointment.

thank you for your suggestions and concerns. we'll make it through this.
Someone also suggested a church.. I am not religious, but my MIL attends the LDS (Mormon) church, and they have a food pantry. They have offered to help us with non-food stuffs since we get FS, but if you can't get FS they would probably help you with that too. I am not sure how to go about it.. maybe just call the local church and ask if they can give you food assistance? Or, you can go to the food bank again and ask for another food box. If you lived in the SLC area I would bring you some!

Do you keep a change jar that you can buy day-old bread? I often find loaves for .50-1.00 - Have you heard of supercook.com? List the ingredients in your house and it will help you come up with meals with it.

#81 of 185 Old 12-14-2009, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Someone also suggested a church.. I am not religious, but my MIL attends the LDS (Mormon) church, and they have a food pantry. They have offered to help us with non-food stuffs since we get FS, but if you can't get FS they would probably help you with that too. I am not sure how to go about it.. maybe just call the local church and ask if they can give you food assistance? Or, you can go to the food bank again and ask for another food box. If you lived in the SLC area I would bring you some!

Do you keep a change jar that you can buy day-old bread? I often find loaves for .50-1.00 - Have you heard of supercook.com? List the ingredients in your house and it will help you come up with meals with it.
I have never heard of supercook.com . I'll check it out, it sounds neat. thank you. I don't have a change jar. My son does. I hate stealing from him. I'll make it an effort this evening to find a jar to put all my loose change into it. That is a good idea. Why didn't I think of that? One must be creative when pinching pennies. I can find duck bread (this is what they call it at the bread store), a bag of it for a dollar! I completely forgot about this.

the churches around here require every SS# living in the house. & you can only go 4 times a year.

The last church I went to did not do this. Which was great. They organize an Angels Food Ministry. Its too late to place my order in for this month. I had to get it in on the 12 but we don't get paid till the 15th. I'll try it next month.

made the WIC appointment!

Dec. 29
10:10 am
#82 of 185 Old 12-14-2009, 05:34 PM

I know atleast one of the Salvation Army stores here has a big bin of free bread. and Catholic charities often have food pantries.

Aron Mama to 6 homeschoolers -- 12, 10, 8, 5, 3, baby

#83 of 185 Old 12-14-2009, 08:58 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
the churches around here require every SS# living in the house. & you can only go 4 times a year
As a Christian, that attitude is what makes me boil!!!! Why in the heck do they need your ss#? Four times a year? It is so sad that the original intent/beliefs of Christianity have become so off. No wonder I don't go to church anymore.
#84 of 185 Old 12-14-2009, 09:21 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
As a Christian, that attitude is what makes me boil!!!! Why in the heck do they need your ss#? Four times a year? It is so sad that the original intent/beliefs of Christianity have become so off. No wonder I don't go to church anymore.
Some of ours are just twice a year.

Thankfully we have one locally that we can go to weekly, that has an abundance of fresh fruits & veggies & bread.

Me, 29, Muslim hijab.gif single mama to T age 7 energy.gif We homeschool.gif saynovax.giffambedsingle1.gif and Love it!
#85 of 185 Old 12-14-2009, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frugalmama View Post
Some of ours are just twice a year.

Thankfully we have one locally that we can go to weekly, that has an abundance of fresh fruits & veggies & bread.
wow you're lucky to have a place that provides fruits and veggies! my kids would go nuts! They're all salad lovers.
#86 of 185 Old 12-15-2009, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Do you keep a change jar that you can buy day-old bread? I often find loaves for .50-1.00 -.
This and check out thrift stores that support some kind of charity, I know at least 2 here always have free bread to who ever needs it. It always looks really good too, makes me wish we were not GF sometimes.

Quote:
I have never heard of supercook.com . I'll check it out, it sounds neat. thank you. I don't have a change jar. My son does. I hate stealing from him. I'll make it an effort this evening to find a jar to put all my loose change into it. That is a good idea. Why didn't I think of that? One must be creative when pinching pennies. I can find duck bread (this is what they call it at the bread store), a bag of it for a dollar! I completely forgot about this.

the churches around here require every SS# living in the house. & you can only go 4 times a year.

The last church I went to did not do this. Which was great. They organize an Angels Food Ministry. Its too late to place my order in for this month. I had to get it in on the 12 but we don't get paid till the 15th. I'll try it next month.

made the WIC appointment!

Dec. 29
10:10 am
Start that change jar! Ours never has more then $5 at most in it but it really helps when I'm literally down to my last dollar. I had to dig into it today but I'm glad I have it. I keep it by the washer and just empty my jeans pockets into it on wash day. Check out any local ethnic markets, Angel Food is wayyy over priced when you have access to those places.

Quote:
Its because so many people have abused it over the years, there are literally some people who don't bother buying food because they can just go to the pantry. I know of families who sell there FS for cash then hit the pantries. (I only know this because a friend of mine was buying her neighbors FS for 1/2 there value.)

Seriously?
#87 of 185 Old 12-15-2009, 01:43 AM

Well mama's I'm happy to report today was a much better day The nurse kept both kids happy and I got a break which I desperately needed and she got a chance to see younger dd in meltdown mode. She had no idea she could act like that I got a 48 hour notice on the electric today but for some reason it just didn't really phase me. I'm letting the good of today overshadow the bad I got an unexpected $5 GC from the Kmart rewards program (I almost didn't open it, looked like it was from a bill collector). I found this awesome huge and pretty playsilk thing (I think its actually a wrap skirt) the kids are going to love for xmas for .50 cents at the thrift store when I dropped off donations today which got us all out of the house which really helped everyone's mood. My mom decided that yes they can help with the bills like they promised last week so the shut off notice will be taken care of I also got some great ideas for xmas gifts I can make for the kids from stuff around the house which really took a lot of stress off me

Best of all, I got one kid asleep on my lap and the other is about out, I'm going to spend the next 4 hours either reading or watching chick flicks and RELAXING! oh yes, and I'm going to eat a HOT dinner, can't remember the last time I did that!

Seriously?
#88 of 185 Old 12-15-2009, 02:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satori View Post
Well mama's I'm happy to report today was a much better day The nurse kept both kids happy and I got a break which I desperately needed and she got a chance to see younger dd in meltdown mode. She had no idea she could act like that I got a 48 hour notice on the electric today but for some reason it just didn't really phase me. I'm letting the good of today overshadow the bad I got an unexpected $5 GC from the Kmart rewards program (I almost didn't open it, looked like it was from a bill collector). I found this awesome huge and pretty playsilk thing (I think its actually a wrap skirt) the kids are going to love for xmas for .50 cents at the thrift store when I dropped off donations today which got us all out of the house which really helped everyone's mood. My mom decided that yes they can help with the bills like they promised last week so the shut off notice will be taken care of I also got some great ideas for xmas gifts I can make for the kids from stuff around the house which really took a lot of stress off me

Best of all, I got one kid asleep on my lap and the other is about out, I'm going to spend the next 4 hours either reading or watching chick flicks and RELAXING! oh yes, and I'm going to eat a HOT dinner, can't remember the last time I did that!
I'm so inspired by your enthusiasm! Enjoy that hot meal mama!
#89 of 185 Old 12-15-2009, 03:30 PM

I know that the LDS church does not require SS#s, and you can order from them as often as you need. They also have non-food items like TP, light bulbs, and diapers. They would absolutely help you even if you are not a member of the church (like us).

We have a change jar that is an American Spirit tobacco container, lol.

#90 of 185 Old 12-15-2009, 05:24 PM

ALL HAIL THE CHANGE JAR!

I dug into it and counted out all the change and got a major shock, it had $6 in it! It was mostly quarters, the jar is painted and usually gets pennies in it so that was a major surprise Then I found $5 in my jacket pocket I forgot about So I put the $6 in the gas tank since I've been driving on empty for 3 days then I hit every thrift shop in town I scored 2 NWT regular sized xmas stockings for .25 each (no idea where the girls stockings went) and 7 playsilk type scarves for .25 cents each (I've been looking for months and nada until today!) The girls are going to love these for xmas! Then at our favorite thrift shop I scored a box of 12 small mason jars for $1 that I'm going to fill with home made pumpkin butter and give as gifts

best of all, I ran into an old friend and got the most awesome hug from him He's like my favorite person in the world to hug

Then we headed to the plant nursery just to smell the xmas trees and oh they smelled wonderful and I swear they were all totally perfect xmas trees, not an ugly one in the bunch. Of course not a one would fit in my house there so big but I love the smell

It felt good to get outside even if it is freezing

I hope everyone is having a wonderful day as me!

Seriously?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page