December Low Income Thread - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-02-2009, 08:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
I saw that nobody had made this yet, and I know that December can be a pretty rough month to have money problems. There's Christmas pressure and in a lot of areas, blistering cold.

Things have been going pretty well for my husband and I. This is the first winter that we've not had to get heating assistance OR freeze our butts off. We recently got insurance through hubby's new job (dd still gets medicaid however), and all our Christmas presents are bought. I do still need to wrap them and bake some goodies, but that's more of a laziness issue than a low income one, lol.

I wanted to donate more to the holiday helpers this year, but my car had to get four hundred dollars in repairs. In my area, and with my husband's job location, it's impossible to be without a car. We're going to send off what packages we can afford in the next few weeks. Luckily the husband picked up some weekend work to supplement and make up the car repair and losing a bit of pay because of the holiday.

I did black friday shopping but didn't buy much..a couple two dollar dvds, a picture frame collage, and a toy for dd. I helped my mom navigate the crowds. She bought me a pack of picture frames as a birthday present, which was yesterday.

I traded a tree with my sil, she really wanted a white one and I was growing a bit tired of it. The one she had needed a new stand and some lights, but I basically got a ninety dollar tree for only seventeen. I know that a real tree is best but that wasn't in the budget this year.

I hope everyone is doing well. Let's brainstorm last minute gifts and give positive thoughts about this season meeting you with joy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2009, 09:47 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
happy birthday happyhats

good morning mamas!

yep.....the holidays and heating costs are freaking me out. i wish i could just relax in my home without worrying that the heat set on 60* is going to cost me a fortune. and 60 isn't really 60 in this old drafty apartment with high ceilings.

im CLOSE to being done. edie really needs a warm coat and boots (again!) i don't think thats going to happen though.

other than that i guess its all ok....

proverbs 29:7 the righteous care about justice for the poor, but the wicked have no such concern.

Old 12-02-2009, 10:47 AM

Can I join in? I've been lurking for a while now reading about all of you corageous mama's for quite a while now.

I'm Robyn (30) and have three wonderful boys J (8), C (6) and T (5). We are currently living with my family while I try and get back on my feet after a LOOONG, bitter and ridiculously expensive divorce, which is actually still going on. I am working towards paying off all my bills which feels good, but I still feel like we are always struggling. Any money that I would have been putting towards house payments and bills goes towards my line of credit (which is good) but just leaves me struggling to put food on the table, kwim? It is nice having my parents around and so at least I'm not doing it all on my own but I also don't want to feel like I'm taking advantage.

Working on putting together a Christmas for the boys...it's hard, but at least I have always tried to keep Christmas more about the people and less about the "stuff" so this year won't be much different that any other.

Mom to :...and maybe thinking about one more...
Old 12-02-2009, 03:39 PM

Well signed us up for as warm the children program to get the kids some warm hats,gloves,and some warm clothing for my older kids.

Quote:
Working on putting together a Christmas for the boys...it's hard, but at least I have always tried to keep Christmas more about the people and less about the "stuff" so this year won't be much different that any other.
Robyn79 I agree with you. We are trying to come up with some games,crafts etc. that we can do with the kids on Solstice this year.

namaste.gif Practicing medicine Mama to four beautiful children 
Old 12-02-2009, 04:57 PM

Hi everyone, Happy December
Things here are the same, but thanks to a Christmas angel my kids will have something under the tree this year
Welcome, Robyn79.
And Happy Birthday, Happyhats!!!

mama to dd1 17yo, ds1 16yo, ds2 13 yo, and dd2 6yo
Old 12-02-2009, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwat View Post
Things here are the same, but thanks to a Christmas angel my kids will have something under the tree this year

Mom to :...and maybe thinking about one more...
Old 12-02-2009, 05:47 PM

Hi everyone! I hope it's ok to jump in this month. This thread was my lifesaver two years ago when I was going through a tough time. And really, that tough time hasn't gone away, just changed a bit. I'm a 29-year-old single mom with a 4-year-old DD. I have been a college student since DD was born, but recently messed up badly due to a lack of studying time and have a reallllly low GPA and tons of student loan debt. I have one class remaining to my BA. Just a few days ago, DD and I lost our 2BR apt. and had to move in with my father AGAIN (this is like the 6th time this has happened). We are sharing a tiny room with boxes of our belongings and sleeping in the same bed. Unemployment in this county is close to 14% currently. I simply cannot find a job. I don't even have gas money to go get the rest of our things from the apt.

Over a month ago, I had a phone interview for a fantastic job. I then had two other phone interviews with different people followed by an in-person interview with a girl who actually flew down to interview a few people. The job would have meant a living wage (!!!), health care, and a chance to relocate to a much better area. I felt certain I was getting the job and looked into a fantastic preschool for DD and found a great apt. Well, I was supposed to know "very early" this week and have heard not a word. DD was going to the county's Head Start program but I had some major gripes with that and she is now home with me all day. We are trapped, literally. My father doesn't want us here over a few weeks.

I'm feeling completely hopeless and desolate and could really use some friends who are in the same (or a similar) boat.

"If we are peaceful, if we are happy, we can smile and blossom like a flower, and everyone in our family, our entire society, will benefit from our peace." ~ Thich Nhat Hanh
Old 12-02-2009, 07:00 PM

Can I join I am feeling sorry for myself today. This year was going to be better for our family Dh finishes school in 2 weeks. The cost to drive 45 miles to work is killing us. I broke a tooth and wont have insurance till Jan.

Our oldest moved home and cant find a job (not sure he is really looking very hard)

Everytime I go to the store prices have gone up again feeding 6 people 3 adults 2 teens and a toddler on 75 bucks a week is driving me crazy and I like a challange.

I had a few bucks set aside for the holidays but it has dwindled away to nothing trying to keep the bills paid. Now we need tires or DH wont be able to drive to work because its going to snow any day.

Yesterday I was so depressed I wanted to crawl under a rock today I am feeling better, now I just want to crawl back to bed
Old 12-02-2009, 08:41 PM

Welcome Spring
I hope that December will be better than October & November :fingerscross

mama to dd1 17yo, ds1 16yo, ds2 13 yo, and dd2 6yo
Old 12-02-2009, 08:49 PM

Can I join, I've been lurking for a while. My dh was laid off at the beginning of September. Unemployment has not been enough to keep up with the bills. We have 5 kids, we were already as frugal as we can be so there isn't anything to cut.
We are packing up and going to stay with my sister in another state until we can get back on our feet. We can only take essentials with us, we can't afford to rent a truck. This is really just devastating me
Old 12-03-2009, 12:21 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
s to everyone....

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

Old 12-03-2009, 02:54 AM

Just chiming in....things were going great at the beginning of this week, I came home and found a $200 money order, the first real child support EVER paid to my ds in his life, so I went out and spent the entire $200 on him the next day/.

He needed clothes really badly, his pants were too short and his little legs were chapped from the wind blowing on them. I bought him a whole new set of clothes including some undershirts and socks that actually fit him, and a pair of boots. but the money is gone now and I have not worked for three days because he got sick over the weekend and was still running a temp yesterday. Tomorrow even if I have to give him Motrin we ARE going to work, we tried to go in yesterday and had to leave after a couple of hours because he was so miserable. I can't afford to lose a whole week's pay.

So I will have to really watch how I spend this paycheck (from yesterday) because this month will be tight what with ds being sick, and then the next pay period will be a short one as well due to Christmas break (I work at a preschool). I'm starting to hunt now for used cloth diapers; I'm thinking if I spend $20 out of each paycheck I should have enough by april. Unfortunately everyone wants to sell an entire lot of them for more than I can reasonably afford at one time. I won't have saved $150 to spend on cloth diapers until March probably, and if at that point I still don't have a single diaper in the house I'll be majorly panicking.

Thank goodness we don't celebrate christmas....if I had to buy christmas presents I would probably just bury myself somewhere until January. AFTER christmas I will go clearance shopping and buy ds some new toys.

faierierose, I'm so sorry you are facing this. Have you looked into any family shelter places near you? There is one near me that puts up whole families in regular single family dwellings (2 families to a 4 bedroom house) for up to 2 years while they get back on their feet. that way the kids can stay in their schools and so forth. there are also housing programs that will pay your rent for you for a few months and then slowly cut back on your assistance as you start to build up an income again. You may have already checked into that, I don't know. I hope things look up for you soon!

Very blessed mama to one bouncin' boy bouncy.gif (12/07) one angel3.gif who didn't get to stay (6/09), one potty learning, mess making divaenergy.gif(4/10), and one cheerful milk monster. aabfwoman.gif (12/11) Happy partner to the love of my lifedp_malesling.GIF.  

Old 12-03-2009, 02:13 PM

Just here and praying for all of us.

Stressing Christmas. Nothing ready and dh's pay this week looks like about 180.00 and mine MIGHT be 75.00 We have not paid rent and NEED groceries.

But we are warm, have a rrof over our heads even if we pay late, and are all healthy Also are blessed with plentiful winter gear and clothes.

to everyone

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

Old 12-03-2009, 03:38 PM

One more mama jumping in. I think I 'joined' in September, but forgot this was here. I'm glad to have found it again.
DH & I mapped out our expenses and everything looked like it was going to work out just fine, I had been working about 20 hours/wk and from home for most of it, so no child care expenses. Well, my boss got a bee in behind and decided to lash out, so now I am alloted Saturdays from 9-2p and that's it. Bye bye family day and bye bye 75% of my income .

On the plus side, getting my hours cut gave me the extra kick in the butt that I needed to get school going again. I applied and have been accepted to the adult degree completion program at the local university. So , 16 more months, I and will finally have my BA... 7 years after I started .

Hope everyone is doing well, and I am thrilled to be apart of this support group.

Working, freshly graduated! mama.  Loving life with DHguitar.gif , DD 7/09energy.gif, and DS 06/11 babyboy.gif.

Old 12-03-2009, 07:09 PM

just poking in to say hello.

cwat

lanky......so good to see you.

have the granddaughter today. we're going to go for a busride downtown as soon as it gets dark.....there are lights everywhere:jay

thats about it

proverbs 29:7 the righteous care about justice for the poor, but the wicked have no such concern.

Old 12-03-2009, 08:39 PM

Just popping in to say hi. I'm buying a car from my great aunt and have been driving around on her plates. My plan is to register it tomorrow. I have exactly what I need to register it and DH gets paid tomorrow. I am worried if I have something else that needs to clear my account so I'm going to write the check and then deposit his money later in the day just in case.

treehugger.gif mama to flower.gif and stillheart.gif and baby.gif

femalesling.GIF  bfinfant.gif  familybed1.gif

Old 12-03-2009, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waiting2bemommy View Post
faierierose, I'm so sorry you are facing this. Have you looked into any family shelter places near you? There is one near me that puts up whole families in regular single family dwellings (2 families to a 4 bedroom house) for up to 2 years while they get back on their feet. that way the kids can stay in their schools and so forth. there are also housing programs that will pay your rent for you for a few months and then slowly cut back on your assistance as you start to build up an income again. You may have already checked into that, I don't know. I hope things look up for you soon!
Thanks for the advice. There aren't many options around here as far as shelters go. While I really don't like what's happening a part of me is glad to be going to my sister's house. There are more options for school/training in that area and we have other family in the area as well.

We are all sick and ds3 is complaining about his ear Looks like a long day at the walk in clinic tomorrow.
Old 12-03-2009, 11:04 PM

subbing

At the moment, I'm feeling frustrated. I have multiple advanced degrees, but unless we move, they aren't any use to me. We manage, but only beause we have insanely low bills.

Does anyone else find themselves scoffing at the ads on tv with kids opening thousands of dollars worth of gifts on Christmas morning?
Old 12-04-2009, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by confustication View Post
subbing

At the moment, I'm feeling frustrated. I have multiple advanced degrees, but unless we move, they aren't any use to me. We manage, but only beause we have insanely low bills.

Does anyone else find themselves scoffing at the ads on tv with kids opening thousands of dollars worth of gifts on Christmas morning?
I really hate those adds right now
Old 12-04-2009, 02:50 AM

Even when my income was substantially higher, I wouldn't have gotten that much for my kid. It just makes me cranky that excess is now seen as the norm, while we KNOW that so many people are struggling to have even the basics right now.
Old 12-04-2009, 02:30 PM

Thank you HappyHats for creating the thread. I can't get online that much, due to the dial up problem. Also, I'm at my parents house so that is going well, but stressful at times, especially with my dad's health declining rapidly.

Anyway, I can't stay on line, just hello, and hope all of you are doing well, and staying warm. December is a difficult month. Even January. I think there are fewer cutoffs (lights) in January due to the cold weather policies many states have, so hope you all can make it to January, and see you soon.

Vegetarian Hindu, mother to L,P and R. 
Old 12-04-2009, 03:29 PM

HI, I only had work one day this week. Good news is I should qualify for Financial Aid for next term for school, this means I dont have to pay out of pocket for my student teaching tuition ($3500 ouch), I will know for sure on 12/10, when I have the meeting to finalize everything.

The last couple days I have been cross-stitching up a storm. I found a box of crafts that I forgot about so why not get a jump on some projects.

This weekend DS and I are going to a local holiday lights display with FREE entertainment. Every hour for 4 hrs the main stage has a 45 min 'show' with dancers. There is a farmers market type set up, lots and lots of lights etc. I'm excited. We are going to bring our own hot chocolate, snacks and have a blast.

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

Old 12-04-2009, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra15 View Post
This weekend DS and I are going to a local holiday lights display with FREE entertainment. Every hour for 4 hrs the main stage has a 45 min 'show' with dancers. There is a farmers market type set up, lots and lots of lights etc. I'm excited. We are going to bring our own hot chocolate, snacks and have a blast.
oooh that sounds sooo fun! I bet you are going to have such a wonderful time.

namaste.gif Practicing medicine Mama to four beautiful children 
Old 12-04-2009, 04:00 PM

subbing

i am waiting on DH to pick up his paycheck so we know whether or not we can make rent for this month he lost just enough hours, due to the birth, that it will complicate paying the bills this month.

He put in notice at his overnight job--they're killing him and are unwilling to work with the fact that he's got another job and needs to sleep occasionally That means that Dec/Jan will suck for income--til i can get back to work.

I gotta look into renting an electric pump from WIC so that I can get a stash of milk started ASAP. I like my job....but...meh.

of course, if dh really can join the military, that might happen as soon as Feb--but i'm not holding my breath on that one.

hope everyone can hang in there in these cold and expensive times!

Freethinking Earth-mama of five. uc.jpg

Old 12-04-2009, 05:26 PM

So far we have no notice from the LL that they are actually going to file eviction papers even though they gave us the 3 day notice on Monday. We got rent and part of a late fee thanks to the money not showing upto them today after I got paid. They are very well aware of where the money is supposed to be coming from and with it coming from a county agency we don't think a judge would rule in their favor if they did try to go forward with an eviction.

Trying to get by this month and very thankful dh has the part time job for the month. Things are still going to be very tight and I doubt we will be able to get things out of storage in time for the holidays, but hopefully we will be able to get some more pants for the kids and maybe a jacket for dh and I as ours are in storage.

Kristina mom to A 1/12 J 11/05 D 4/08 and tiny dude in late April 2010
Old 12-05-2009, 03:38 PM

I've been quite distracted the last few days & forgot to look for the new thread. Happy December all! I hope the winter holidays bring us all much joy & not so much stress over gifts!!

DH is really stressing over his real estate test. Nothing seems to be sticking with him & he is doing really bad on all his practice quizzes. Now we have just added another thing to make it harder to study. We found out Thursday that I did infact ovulate a week early & I am pregnant! We are excited but very nervous. I am raelly worried about the stress on DH.

Cheryl, wife to an amazing man, homeschooling SAHM to Gavin 12/03, Rhys 09/06, and Ian Aug 11, 2010.

Old 12-05-2009, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciascl View Post
We found out Thursday that I did infact ovulate a week early & I am pregnant! We are excited but very nervous. I am raelly worried about the stress on DH.
Congrats.....

Old 12-05-2009, 06:36 PM

hello all. On it think the October thread we discussed Christmas gifts that can be made with items bought on food stamps, as well as other frugal gifts. I will dig it up later and post a link so that those who haven't seen it can. Busy now, but be back later.

Student and aspiring midwife mama to Angel: and Iris. Expecting a new sometime near Halloween! I am a all the way!!!!!
Old 12-05-2009, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natural_mama89 View Post
hello all. On it think the October thread we discussed Christmas gifts that can be made with items bought on food stamps, as well as other frugal gifts. I will dig it up later and post a link so that those who haven't seen it can. Busy now, but be back later.
As a side note DS is loving hot cocca and marshmallows right now. A real treat for him thanks to a super sale and FS.
We've also had apple cider, homemade apple sauce, and we will be having fudge, pumpkin bread and banana bread later this month. YUMMY....

Old 12-06-2009, 02:55 AM

Congrats maciascl!

I've decided to go back to college starting in January. I applied for financial and I'm getting a full pell grant. I'm so happy because I wouldn't have been able to take classes if I had to pay for it myself. So now I'll be a full time mother, full time student and part time employee. Yikes!

Kate~ Mama to two.

User Tag List