OMG...this makes me want to puke! **UPDATE** - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 44 Old 12-09-2009, 11:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My DH takes the toll road, using his company car, 4-6 times a week. The company pays the toll charges, or so we thought. We never got a bill, so we assumed that the company was handling it. WRONG!!! Today in the mail we received a package of NOTICES that the company received. A PACKAGE!!!! 68 NOTICES! Each notice had a 70.00 fee attached to it, along w/ the cost of the original toll cost. $476.00 in tolls and roughly $4760.00 in fines!!!! WTH! How are we suppose to pay that? If we don't handle it, then the company will pay, then attach there own fees, and start deducting from DH's paycheck.

I want to cry! We were just starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel and now this.
#2 of 44 Old 12-09-2009, 11:25 PM

Yikes, I'm so sorry (((Hugs)))

Go Green I don't vax either, why mess with perfect?
#3 of 44 Old 12-09-2009, 11:27 PM

OMG!!! There has got to be a way to negotiate that down! If you never even received a bill... How can they justify the fees??
I hope you work something out! That's ridiculous!!!!!!
#4 of 44 Old 12-09-2009, 11:27 PM

WTH?? Lot's of questions you need to start asking. First off, why did you think the company covered it - as in can you find it in WRITING anywhere? If so then you're off the hook. Second off, why did the company sit on these for so long? You can start by calling the toll people and explaining the situation, seeing if they'd waive the fees if you paid the due in full now (difficult I know but they won't settle for less I'm sure). If they won't you need to talk to the company about why these bills were never passed on to you. Explain to them how had they been handled in a timely manner you would never have owed the fees, and that you consider them liable for them. If they argue it, pay an attorney $50 to write them a threatening lawsuit letter (if it won't cost your DH his job). That is so not right!! I'm sorry!

ETA: Actually I don't think they *can* legally deduct it from his wages. THEY own the car and are therefore responsible for all bills incurred legally. If this wasn't spelled out in writing and if they never passed the bills along, then it's their bill not yours. Definitely fight it.
#5 of 44 Old 12-09-2009, 11:33 PM

Does the car have one of those toll Pass readers in it? Is that why he assumed the company was paying? Otherwise, if it didn't have them, then yes I would think he needs to pay up.

Anne, Mama to Conner 2/27/04 blahblah.gif  Gabrielle 2/6/06 W/LMC-TCS, Neurogenic Bladder, AFO & KAFO wearer, Neurogenic Bowel energy.gif & Delaney 5/12/08 mischievous.gif &  Beethoven cat.gif& Gizmo cat.gif

#6 of 44 Old 12-10-2009, 01:01 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
wow, that really sucks!

We live in MA and have a transponder for our vehicle. If the transponder wasn't working, then a light would flash which indicates we need to call the toll company.

I don't understand how it could have gotten confused and for so long. However, with our company, its so big, that if your car gets tagged in a toll, it does take a month or 2 to get the bill. The car is registered to the company and they have to research who actually drives the vehicle and where we are located (we are national.) So, I guess I could see if he used the toll every day, twice a day you could get several bills racked up.

I'm sure someone will negotiate a deal, I just don't know how good its going to be and it sure is a pain in the butt.
#7 of 44 Old 12-10-2009, 01:04 AM

Call them! In Chicago, there are all kinds of issues with the tolls and if you call, explain your situation, they always remove the fines and just charge you for the tolls.

Good luck. I hope you are able to get the fines taken away. That is a lot of money.
#8 of 44 Old 12-10-2009, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madis81 View Post
We never got a bill, so we assumed that the company was handling it.
(Bolding mine)

When your dh talks to the company about this, I would be very careful that he NOT word it that way. That means that he had thought about the toll bills, but took no initiative to find out what the company policy was on it and who was responsible for it, which would still make him liable for the tolls and fines.

Instead, I would ask them why, if he was responsible for the bills, was he not given the written policy and why he was not directly billed.

Having worked in Corporate America for 13 years before becoming a SAHM, I don't hold out much hope for you. It's kind of the employee's responsibility to know what the company policy is. Usually you have to sign something that says you are aware of the policies, etc. and that's the company's "get out of jail free" card for situations like this. I do hope you can get it cleared up, though. At least to get the fines waived. That is insane for tolls! Good luck!
#9 of 44 Old 12-10-2009, 10:25 AM

Seems like the toll people thought the company would also handle the charges if they were sending the bills there. And why did the company wait until there was enough notices to fill a package to forward the bills to you?

I hope you fight it and win.

Good luck!
#10 of 44 Old 12-10-2009, 11:12 AM

Is the car registered in your name or the companies?

Do you have a transponder? (assuming easypass system)

I am pretty sure you can negotiate with a bill of that size.
#11 of 44 Old 12-10-2009, 11:25 AM

GAH! That would make me cry, too! Hope you can get something worked out with someone. The tolls alone are a lot, but a lot less than with that huge fine slapped on there!

Looking forward to hearing how this turns out for you.

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

dizzy.gif Wading slowly and nervously into this homeschooling thing.

#12 of 44 Old 12-10-2009, 05:28 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyPrincess View Post
Seems like the toll people thought the company would also handle the charges if they were sending the bills there. And why did the company wait until there was enough notices to fill a package to forward the bills to you?

I hope you fight it and win.

Good luck!
The toll/state was sending the bills to the company/employer because that is where the car is registered.
Most likely the toll area has a system set up and takes a picture or video of everyone who goes through and a flash goes off or alarm when someone does not pay. The way it will be tracked is by license plate # which is probably registred to the company.

The same thing happens here with photo radar, and any fines/fee you incurr in a company car are the drivers responsibility. (flash goes off, picture gets taken and you get a bill in the mail, if the car is registered to a company it goes to HR then they will forward it to the employee)

When I was working back east and had to deal with toll roads etc I would pay them and at the end of the month turn in my expense report and be reimbursed.

I am so sorry you have this bill but the company now has a fine with the state and they want it paid, they can and will start payroll deductions to pay that off if you cant settle it otherwise. I hope you get it squared away soon.

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#13 of 44 Old 12-10-2009, 05:36 PM

I recently called about parking tickets on behalf of my mom, explained that she was on a limited income, and had the fees immediately waived down to the original charge. It wasn't nearly that amount, but I would definitely try it.
#14 of 44 Old 12-10-2009, 07:23 PM

Any update op?
#15 of 44 Old 12-10-2009, 07:39 PM

That would make me livid as well. Maybe not so much that the company didn't pay, though it would seem that if an employee is using a car for company business, it should pay tolls accumulated during that time, along with other valid costs associated with the vehicle. I would be more livid about the obscene amout of fines - almost $4800 in fines! I know there have to be fines for people who run the booth, but that is crazy! I hope it all works out and you can get it settled soon.

I recently changed my username, but I still say "Hello" to all those who know me in real life! Hi P, S, T and K!
#16 of 44 Old 12-10-2009, 11:05 PM

I had two toll violations here in MA last month. My transponder was hooked up for auto refill for a credit card that had expired, and I hadn't updated the new cc info (didn't realize it).

I went through the toll system and got a *yellow* light that said "Call Fastlane". It happened twice.

I went home, logged in to my account, updated the cc info.

A week later I got 2 fine violation forms. $50 each.

**HERE IS THE IMPORTANT PART**--you can appeal the fines, *even if you're in the wrong*, if you have a transponder set up here. Even if you DO NOT, you can still appeal - it's just a slightly different process.

A successful appeal reduces the fine from $50 to $5.

So CALL and follow up!
#17 of 44 Old 12-10-2009, 11:17 PM

how did the toll folks get the company's address if they weren't responsible for the bill?
#18 of 44 Old 12-10-2009, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiara View Post
how did the toll folks get the company's address if they weren't responsible for the bill?
The car is in the company name. So they just traced it back to the company and their address.

eta - as noted up thread. The tolls have cameras that take pictures of liscense plates for violators that don't pay.

Anne, Mama to Conner 2/27/04 blahblah.gif  Gabrielle 2/6/06 W/LMC-TCS, Neurogenic Bladder, AFO & KAFO wearer, Neurogenic Bowel energy.gif & Delaney 5/12/08 mischievous.gif &  Beethoven cat.gif& Gizmo cat.gif

#19 of 44 Old 12-10-2009, 11:37 PM

strange that it is such a huge fine. we got on a toll road on accident (mo place to turn around) and didn'thave money to pay the toll, got a ticket and a bill for $1.00. no fine at all. i would think you should be able to get out of the fines if you didn't know you had to pay for them. and i would assume (maybe wrongly) if you were doing company business they would pay you back for the gas and tolls, so they should pay the tolls anyway. i would also think if they got a fine they would contact you right away and say what is up?

h

mama to 6 amazing children joy.gif married to my main man for 21 years love.gif and finally home FULL time dishes.gifhang.gifknit.gif

#20 of 44 Old 12-11-2009, 01:53 AM

OP, I can understand your reaction. I, too, would want to cry over this situation!

I'm confused by the people saying that the toll company/state would look up the owner of the vehicle based on license plate cams at the toll booth. That would assume that the driver (OP's DH) didn't actually stop to pay the tolls OR have a payment transponder installed. If that's the case, then I can see where OP's DH would be at fault for this situation and the company would have no responsibility for paying the bills.

But I can't see OP's DH skipping through the tolls and just assuming that his company would pick up whatever fines and fees were incurred as a result.

If that is what happened, then that's a completely different situation than what I was understanding.
#21 of 44 Old 12-11-2009, 03:00 AM

Where I live you either have a transponder or they take a picture of your plate and you get a bill in a month or so. The only way you get fines is if you don't pay the bill. I got a bill and missplaced it (so didn't pay it) and got a huge fine. I called and we negotiated that they would drop the fines if I got a transponder. It was a no brainer for me.

Does your dh "have" to take the toll road? If he does, it should be on the company. If he's taking it for his convenience, it may be stickier re: the tolls. But either wway, I bet you can get the fines reduced.
#22 of 44 Old 12-11-2009, 03:25 AM

i really hope you can get this resolved--that bill is UNbelievable!

Freethinking Earth-mama of five. uc.jpg

#23 of 44 Old 12-11-2009, 03:26 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 34me View Post
Where I live you either have a transponder or they take a picture of your plate and you get a bill in a month or so. The only way you get fines is if you don't pay the bill.
This is how our toll also works. We have discovered that the monthly bill was sent to the FLEET company, not the company my DH works for. If it does not get settled, then the fleet company will pay, add a fee, then bill the company he works for. The fleet company tried to send something to us in the mail, but they sent it to the WRONG mailing address. SO, we are hoping we can get the fines knocked off and cleared up, because there is no way we can pay this. And if it gets sent to his company, then I have a feeling we can kiss this job good-bye. Ugh...We already live on such a strict budget. There is no room to squeeze anything extra out.

We're still working this out and trying to figure why we never got the original bill. We still don't have copies of the original monthly bill. Just the notices.
#24 of 44 Old 12-11-2009, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 34me View Post
Where I live you either have a transponder or they take a picture of your plate and you get a bill in a month or so.
Oh, I see now. I've never seen a toll system that worked that way, hence my confusion.

OP, from other people's responses, it sounds like there's a good chance you can at least get the fines reduced/removed. Good luck!
#25 of 44 Old 12-11-2009, 11:13 AM

I would call the highway department, DMV (or whomever is responsible for tolls) and explain the situation. That it was a company car and your husband was under the impression the company was paying the bills. See if you can at the very least have the fees lessened or better yet waived.

Then contact the company and have the tolls for those dates refunded to you - $476. Their car on company business so they should be reimbursing for tolls.

My DH has a company car he gets to use sometimes and sometimes he has to drive his own car. The company car has a gas card and a transponder for tolls. When he drives his own car he is reimbursed for mileage and tolls.
#26 of 44 Old 12-11-2009, 04:11 PM - Thread Starter

Hip! Hip! Hooray!

My dh called, and they waived every single fine/fee!!!! The toll bill dropped from over $5000.00 to $326.00. Now we just need to get that submitted to the company he works for to get reimbursed on his company card. We're still trying to figure out why we never got the bill. While the car is registered under the company fleet name, it's registered under our address. Apparently, were not the only ones that have this problem. When my DH called, they said "oh, you're one of those." They completely understood the problem and run into it frequently. They have 700 people in their system, using the same fleet company, that are getting billed with fees/fines attached because they're not getting their monthly bills. We are getting a transponder shipped to us to avoid this problem again.

Phew! I am relieved!
#27 of 44 Old 12-11-2009, 04:15 PM

#28 of 44 Old 12-11-2009, 04:18 PM

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

dizzy.gif Wading slowly and nervously into this homeschooling thing.

#29 of 44 Old 12-11-2009, 04:23 PM

I'm so glad you got it all worked out! I know that sick feeling when you find out something like that, it's awful!
#30 of 44 Old 12-11-2009, 04:33 PM

Hip hip hooray! I'm glad it all worked out for you!

treehugger.gifAnd you who seek to know Me, know that the seeking and yearning will avail you not, unless you know the Mystery: for if that which you seek, you find not within yourself, you will never find it without.treehugger.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page