What is a comfortable saving amount? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 12-12-2009, 01:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I hope this questions makes sense!
Dh and I have been on a very low income for quite some time now, but this month we are fortunate enough to have money left in our checking account. I was wondering how much is considered a comfortable amount to you all, after all bills and rent are paid? We only have one account, no savings, no credit cards.

Trying to balance a preschooler and peace....
#2 of 8 Old 12-12-2009, 01:44 PM

Ideally, I'd love to have six months of living expenses saved up. Heck, I'd be happy with three months even.

Due to our situation right now, I am happy when we have an extra $100 or so after all bills are paid and food has been bought.
#3 of 8 Old 12-12-2009, 03:16 PM

Three months of bare bones living expenses is a good goal to work towards, and if you meet that, add to it.

Being right is not always fair, but being fair is always right
#4 of 8 Old 12-12-2009, 11:39 PM

I agree with 3-6 months being optimal.

~ Yank Transplant to Britain and Zookeeper of 4 DC age 15 and under. ~
#5 of 8 Old 12-12-2009, 11:47 PM

I'd say at least 6 months of bare minimum plus a little extra for unexpected stuff. DH recently lost his job of almost 8 years and I'd only had 3 months and we're already half through it with no other job in sight and unemployment doesn't cover everything we fall a few hundred short a month. Not sure what we'll do once the unemployment runs out. But when things look better again 6 months will be my bare minimum of expenses saved.

Israel, mom to  DD, Ivy, 4-27-06 :and DS, Kai, 12-29-07 and DD, Lilith 2-1-10 and always remembering Alice fullterm stillborn 08/31/11 (unexplained placental abruption) 

#6 of 8 Old 12-13-2009, 01:58 AM

We have a short-term savings, mid-term savings, and retirement accounts (long-term). We started with the short-term savings by working up to a minimum balance of $500 in our joint checking account to avoid cash flow issues. Then, we built that to $1000 minimum and moved it to a joint savings account that is linked to the checking account as automatic overdraft protection.

Technically, we each had retirement accounts through our jobs before we met, but we have each had a handful of jobs since then and neither of us has a 401k anymore. We fully fund our Roth IRAs, though.

We worked on our mid-term savings much later and started with 0-3 months worth of our living expenses, then 3-6 months worth. We skimmed off the top whenever we needed to purchase something big in order to use cash versus credit whenever possible. At this point, we are close to 10 months worth of living expenses and are slowly working towards a year's worth.

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

#7 of 8 Old 12-13-2009, 09:14 AM

The minimum I would be okay with is 1000- kind of thinking of the DR babystep one.

Alicia DH Mike DS Gage Lola & Zeus Fishy Dishy, Charkey and Shark
RIP Sidney 1994-2010 RIP Charlie Brown 2008-2010
#8 of 8 Old 12-14-2009, 02:26 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Back before this whole economy tanked on me I was ok with 6 mos of 'full' expenses. I know everyone says bare bones expenses but I prefer 'full' expenses. But now that I am Older, Wiser, and well... more experienced in being broke...*I* will be working toward 2 years of full living expenses in liquid funds. yes that seems like alot but since I had to find a new career and that takes about 2 years I dont ever want to find myself in the position we have been in for the past 18 mos. Yes I have been stubborn and I refuse to touch my retirement accounts but I never, ever want to do this again.

"Full" expenses include
Rent, Utilites, all insurance payments (auto, home, life, full medical), auto upkeep at current level, food, clothing, kids activies, travel expense account (incase of death, family need, etc), daycare fees, etc

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page