Long distance options for family member... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 12-20-2009, 01:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My mother's long distance was shut off a while back due to nonpayment. She has unpaid bills with pretty much every other company with long distance service so right now she has no way to call and get a hold of me (we live on opposite coasts). She still has basic local service so I can call her but she can't call me back, and she has a very irregular schedule that changes so it can be difficult to get a hold of her unless I call in the middle of the night-which doesn't always work because she takes sleep aids. She doesn't have internet access right now for email either. She lives alone, is disabled and doesn't have any friends or family members living close enough that I can ask to stop by and check on her. I worry about her constantly. I've been racking my brain trying to think of some way that I can give her the ability to call me without putting anything in my name (I'm afraid she'll run up my bill too, she has zero ability to follow rules like 'only call after 9pm' or 'you only have x amount of minutes'). I'd send her a bunch of calling cards but she'd burn right through them calling people. Do I have any other options?? Help!!
#2 of 4 Old 12-20-2009, 01:14 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Yes a pre-paid calling card. I used them all the time when I refused to have long distance on my land line. They are sold almost everywhere (walmart, gas station etc) basically the caller dials a 1-800 number then puts in the PIN# listed on the card, then follows the instructions to dial you or whom ever they wish.
The other choice is a cell phone that is a flat rate for unlimited minutes. Virgin is umilimited for about $50 month.

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#3 of 4 Old 12-20-2009, 02:08 AM

What about telling her that you can only afford "x" dollars per month and tell you'll send her a calling card for that amount on the first of every month. Maybe then she would budget the minutes and save them for calling you?

Mama to Ainsley (7/01) , Finley (10/06) and Jade (10/06)

#4 of 4 Old 12-20-2009, 05:19 AM

My long distance is included in my phone service - it's unlimited. I haven't paid for long distance service in 5 or 6 years. Is it possible to have her current phone plan switched to something that has unlimited long distance? I pay about $40 a month for my home phone (through the cable company, even though I don't have cable).

shamrocksmile.gifAmber SAHM Fiber Artist Mom to:knit.gif
Maddison (9): Arwen (8): Finn (4): Aedan (2)

stork-suprise.gif Sept 2012

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page