New Year Grocery and Pantry Challenge, how did you do? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 245 Old 01-02-2010, 08:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Day 1 was good and no money spent.
Day 2 $0 spent. We are using up the last of the french bread for garlic toast

SAHM to the munchkins (14.5, 11.5, 9.5, 3, and almost 2)
#62 of 245 Old 01-02-2010, 09:49 PM

Used up one of my many winter squashes for dinner tonight, along with my mountain of rice. Spent $14 at the farmer's market for kale, broccoli, apples, and mandarins.

Mama to 3:
#63 of 245 Old 01-02-2010, 10:58 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
joining you all.

Visit the Holiday Helper thread and join in on the giving and fun! Loving and working with the plants. I have a store! or two!
#64 of 245 Old 01-02-2010, 11:40 PM

Joining in!

We need to save for a new roof, and just rotate out food stores. We have a bunch of home-canned goods from last year. And I kind of overstocked during the high gas prices of 2008, so I need to use what we have before it goes bad.

The good news is that in the past few months we have been really good at eating our leftovers. I really hate to waste food!

Bridget. Momma to DD (4), expecting DS - 9/09, wife to SAHD. Gardener, coffee addict, urban dweller.
#65 of 245 Old 01-03-2010, 04:42 AM

Chicky, I am SO jealous of your berries! I can't keep berries either- my DDs LOVE them. They even eat the seedy wild raspberries our of the freezer

I'd also love some Indian recipes

Well today I compiled all of our spending for 2009. I was a little fuzzy on my numbers since I've been budgeting in 4 week chunks instead of month to month. I spent $6927 on groceries/ food to cook at home last year, including bulk meats. That breaks down to $577/month. Spending was definitely higher at the beginning of the year. I brought the spending down to less than $500/month starting in the fall. Hopefully I can keep that up.

Working on my meal plan for this week...

New signature, same old me: Ann- mama of 2 boys and 2 girls, partnered to a fabulous man.
I'm an unintentional weasel feeder and I suck at proofreading.
#66 of 245 Old 01-03-2010, 05:10 PM - Thread Starter

We are getting our side in 2 weeks so eating down a bit of the freezer.
We have baby back ribs in merinade right now and I am making sweet potato french fries too.

The marinade had tequila in the mix so I am able to use up some that we didnt care for. That is usually my way of getting rid of wine or liquor that we didnt care to drink.

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#67 of 245 Old 01-03-2010, 05:27 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Day 1 so far breakfast was oatmeal for the girls with carnation instant breakfast choc. milk (using up the last 4 packs we had left over from camping), snack was white choc chip cookies, lunch peanut butter and honey sandwiches on wheat bread with Banana. I had choc. protein shake with banana and I haven't had lunch yet.

Pax, loving wife since 2001, Mother of DD1 (12) and DD2 (8 1/2). Entering our 5th year of Homeschooling: Eclectic mix of curriculum and child interest lead. Backyard urban chicken chasers.
#68 of 245 Old 01-03-2010, 05:56 PM

1 was good and no money spent.
2 $0 spent. We are using up the last of the french bread for garlic toast
3 $0 spent. used up leftovers for brunch and we pulled out a chicken to roast tonight

#69 of 245 Old 01-03-2010, 11:30 PM

Used up some of my dried pintos tonight and also one of my dried chilies from my CSA.

Mama to 3:
#70 of 245 Old 01-04-2010, 12:11 AM

Tonight's dinner: Chicken Tacos in the Crockpot. Used corn, peppers and chicken from the freezer, home-canned salsa, and beans and home-made taco seasoning from the pantry.

Also made Sweet & Spicy Tofu (had to get fresh cilantro though), Tuna Salad and Pasta for lunches this week.

I am thinking I need to start canning my own beans - we have a lot of dried beans to use up, and I think I will use the quicker if they are ready to go in a soup/tacos/etc.

Bridget. Momma to DD (4), expecting DS - 9/09, wife to SAHD. Gardener, coffee addict, urban dweller.
#71 of 245 Old 01-04-2010, 12:00 PM - Thread Starter

As I am organizing my freezer, I discovered a larger tupperware container of beef chili DH made for a party on Halloween. We had 4 types of chili and there must have been a lot of that leftover. So maybe this weekend, we can eat it or save it for Superbowl Sunday etc.

Tonight eating some swedish meatballs I had frozen (just need to cook them) with noodles we have a half a bag of. Today for lunch a salad of all kinds of things for me and home made mac n cheese for dd2 with diced up ham.

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#72 of 245 Old 01-04-2010, 02:10 PM

I made a tomato based soup using left overs and items I froze over the summer. Very good!

I am using up this and that, and trying to figure out how to not use up everything before we start getting our CSA again- 4months before I can get fresh greens.

I have two whole chickens, beef meat and some boneless/skinless chicken breast.

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

#73 of 245 Old 01-04-2010, 02:28 PM

So I"m wondering how you figure out how long your bulk beef and pork will last you? I'm trying to figure out how much I should budget for this. I"m clueless

DS 7 ~ DS 3

#74 of 245 Old 01-04-2010, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amys1st View Post
Chicky2, you crack me up. You amuse me to no end, keep posting! LOL I have been known to have recipes morph into something totally different.
LOL, glad to give you a chuckle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camile Rynd View Post
I would loooove some indian recipes, especially vegetarian. I was thinking that one good way to save money around here would be to replace a few of our meaty meals with vegetarian ones!

As far as saving money is concerned, I'm wondering how the big families can eat on so little? We are spending around $450-$500 (average) a month to feed myself, dh, and ds (21 months) and many of you are posting that much for twice the family!? What am I doing wrong? I suppose you can take 10% off of that because we also buy diapers/cleaning supplies/etc with that. Help me reduce my bill! We do eat a lot of fruit and fresh vegies but I can't imagine sacrificing those!

Also, anyone interested in posting organized pantry pictures? Before and afters? I'm curious about how many of you store/organize things!

Camille
Stockpiling. And we raise some of our meats, and lots of our veggies. Plus we forage. My parents and their neighbor trap feral pigs each winter, worm them and feed them for 30 days to get the wormer out, and we go up and butcher, butcher, butcher. Free for us, except for the gas for a 1 1/2 hr drive, and freezer bags/paper/foodsaver stuff.

You wouldn't want to see my pantry now, and I don't know if I'll get around to organizing, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kings5queens4 View Post
Anyone know what one can do with canned "navy beans" ? I don't even know what they are or where they came from but they have invaded my pantry...
Pasta dishes are great for white beans. Also, white chili and white bean/sweet potato/sausage/kale soup ROCKS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by annethcz View Post
Chicky, I am SO jealous of your berries! I can't keep berries either- my DDs LOVE them. They even eat the seedy wild raspberries our of the freezer

I'd also love some Indian recipes

Well today I compiled all of our spending for 2009. I was a little fuzzy on my numbers since I've been budgeting in 4 week chunks instead of month to month. I spent $6927 on groceries/ food to cook at home last year, including bulk meats. That breaks down to $577/month. Spending was definitely higher at the beginning of the year. I brought the spending down to less than $500/month starting in the fall. Hopefully I can keep that up.

Working on my meal plan for this week...
The berry co-op I've done twice now, and plan to always do!

You are so organized w/tracking your spending. I aspire to be more like that this year. I have no idea what really got spent on groceries in 2009.

I have pork stock made from pig bones being strained by my dd in the kitchen right now. It is super rich and concentrated because it's been simmering for 2 days. We will chill it down and make soup for supper w/odds and ends of veggies. Will make home made tortillas and have leftover salad with the soup.

Happy Homesteading Homeschooling Homebirthing Beekeeping Dready (& a bit redneck even) Mama to 4 fab kids :  dd (23), dd (13), ds (11), dd (5)

#75 of 245 Old 01-04-2010, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody'smomma View Post
So I"m wondering how you figure out how long your bulk beef and pork will last you? I'm trying to figure out how much I should budget for this. I"m clueless
I can't help there, but I can tell you that my family has gone thru a large upright freezer full of pig since March. Plus half of a side by side freezer full. We are almost out, just in time for rabbit/goat/more pig butchering.

There is a possibility that we'll get a whole cow (old, has no teeth and they don't want to hand feed her--my mom's neighbor has a cattle ranch), gutted and quartered soon. All (!) we have to do is go stay up all night grinding it, lol. But that's like 150 pounds of ground beef for us--we would divide it between 3 families). Plus my mom has a goat for us to butcher in exchange for our help butchering 3 others for their freezer. Thankfully my mom just bought a commercial grinder, and we have an awesome hand crank one.

Also, we discovered a wild beehive in our cabin in the woods. It must have swarmed from the old tree on my neighbor's property. We've got a beekeeping book, and my parents will get their old beekeeping gear to us, and we'll try to encourage the bees into a new hive. We may soon have plenty of honey!

Happy Homesteading Homeschooling Homebirthing Beekeeping Dready (& a bit redneck even) Mama to 4 fab kids :  dd (23), dd (13), ds (11), dd (5)

#76 of 245 Old 01-04-2010, 02:40 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I was going to make spaghetti pie for dinner, but we have no spaghetti noodles-- only soba noodles. Any ideas for me?

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#77 of 245 Old 01-04-2010, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annettemarie View Post
I was going to make spaghetti pie for dinner, but we have no spaghetti noodles-- only soba noodles. Any ideas for me?
Asian noodle soup? Asian noodle stir fry? Spaghetti w/soba noodles? How about experimenting and making Asian Spaghetti? Ooooh....My wheels are turning....

And FWIW, this is a fantastic recipe and great for using up sooooo many odds and ends (sushi is good for that too!) of veggies/meats/wine....

http://www.rachaelraymag.com/Recipes...eamy-Spaghetti

#78 of 245 Old 01-04-2010, 03:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody'smomma View Post
Depends on how often you cook, eat out, what you cook, and who is eating it.

We like to entertain at least once a month. That could mean having the neighbors over and us and all the kids eat, a dinner party or a big blow out family party. Depending on the month and time of year, we plan for this. We have dd1's commonion in May, we plan on having about 40 people over for the celebration. We will cook a 2-3 roasts for roast beef sandwiches to give you an idea. We will also have pulled pork.

My side of beef literally lasts the entire year. We just finished out the supply and are picking up the new supply in mid January. We will eat more of the steaks in the summer w/ exception and we plan on eating more roasts in the winter and fall months. The 75 plus lbs of hamburger will get eating at least once a week.

I think if we had more adult eaters or sons who can eat a lot it might be different. A neighbor with 4 sons buys a full beef and uses it up in a year.

I laid out the costs in my OP for the meat cost up front. Spread out over the year I avg what it would cost.

#79 of 245 Old 01-04-2010, 09:15 PM

I'm doing a pantry challenge this month, too.

Tonight is grillades, made with creole sauce I canned last summer (best thing ever--it makes meals sooo easy---too bad it's the last jar). We'll eat it over mashed potatoes instead of grits, just cause we have more potatoes than grits right now.

Tomorrow, I'm planning on split pea soup with some ham leftover from Christmas that I froze. We'll have cornbread muffins with that.
#80 of 245 Old 01-04-2010, 11:13 PM

Great thread for meal ideas using pantry staples!

I made a menu today for the next while using stuff from the pantry so I guess I belong here. lol

We haven't gotten out of the house (well aside from numerous trips out to play, sled, skate, etc) since Dec 30 so we're off to a good start.

I have a really short shopping list (like 6 things I think?), we get a weekly basket of veggies and are expecting a buying club order next week.
#81 of 245 Old 01-04-2010, 11:13 PM

3 $0 spent. used up leftovers for brunch and we pulled out a chicken to roast tonight
4. $0 spent. ate chicken soup from last night's roasted chicken for lunch. grilled cheese and tomato soup for dinner.

#82 of 245 Old 01-04-2010, 11:40 PM

Sounds like you all are off to a good start. Used up some of the (many) spaghetti noodles in the pantry, along with dried tortolini and tomato sauce.

Mama to 3:
#83 of 245 Old 01-05-2010, 08:33 AM

does anybody happen to know how long the Pacific Islands boxed organic free-range broth really lasts? i just found quite a bit that expired in august 2009 but i'd hate to throw it out if it was still good just because of the date stamp. so far, the ones i've opened seem to taste OK.
#84 of 245 Old 01-05-2010, 12:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by annettemarie View Post
speggetti pie? Recipe?

Also, as far as the broth. Take whiff, smell ok? Boil it and then try to check taste.

#85 of 245 Old 01-05-2010, 04:20 PM

4. $0 spent. ate chicken soup from last night's roasted chicken for lunch. grilled cheese and tomato soup for dinner.
5. $67.11 spent. finished chicken soup for lunch and we'll be having garlic, parmesan chicken, pierogies, and some veggies from the freezer for dinner

#86 of 245 Old 01-05-2010, 05:54 PM

We ate soup for lunch, and will eat the rest for lunches tomorrow.

We are having baked oatmeal w/my stash of oats, li'l smokie sausages I bought on sale during the holiday season, boiled eggs (we always have plenty of eggs), and a berry crisp for supper. We'll use up some fresh milk in and on the oatmeal. I have an abundance of both cow and goat milk in the fridge. I had a neighbor give us a gallon of goat milk last night, and I had just bought a gallon of organic cow milk at the store. I also had a gallon in the fridge. Maybe I'll see if my other neighbor wants some...

I think I'll whip up some peanut butter granola w/some of those oats, too.

I also think we'll have sushi rolls and spring rolls both tomorrow night. I have a bunch of nori and sushi rice and spring rolls sittin' around. I also have a ton of frozen ginger root. And fish sauce. Good grief, maybe I'll make a soup, too....My dh will be happy as a clam tomorrow night for sure!

#87 of 245 Old 01-05-2010, 05:58 PM - Thread Starter

Had a tube of crescent roll mix in my fridge. Not sure where it came from, but I think at a playdate last week someone brought to make something that wasnt made. Rolled up hot dogs and DH and dd2 ate for lunch. Greasy!

Tonight salad with chopped up various lots of things to get rid of. I will also grill some chicken to chop up as well.

DD2 requested I make a bannana bread yesterday. I have 2 bannanas perfect for the job too!

#88 of 245 Old 01-05-2010, 06:14 PM

We went to chipotle today, under $10 for me and the kiddies. It's been a rough few days (had to stay at the IL's due to no heat).

Other than that I've been solid. So I'm not going to worry about it.

Liz

Wife, and mother to a small fairy, a demolition expert, a special new someone this fall and a small dachshund.
#89 of 245 Old 01-05-2010, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meandk0610 View Post
does anybody happen to know how long the Pacific Islands boxed organic free-range broth really lasts? i just found quite a bit that expired in august 2009 but i'd hate to throw it out if it was still good just because of the date stamp. so far, the ones i've opened seem to taste OK.
You could call the company and ask if it's an expiry or best by date. Expiry I wouldn't touch, best by, I would probably give it a whiff and if it didn't look weird or something I could roll with it.

Liz

Wife, and mother to a small fairy, a demolition expert, a special new someone this fall and a small dachshund.
#90 of 245 Old 01-05-2010, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dachshundqueen View Post
You could call the company and ask if it's an expiry or best by date. Expiry I wouldn't touch, best by, I would probably give it a whiff and if it didn't look weird or something I could roll with it.

Liz
i never thought about them being different! thanks, i'll call them.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page