New Year Grocery and Pantry Challenge, how did you do? - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 245 Old 01-09-2010, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amys1st View Post
I have had several ethnic dishes w them before so I mixed up some Indian spices in sort of a curry and added leftover tomato sauce. Browned them, add onions, garlic etc put the whole thing in the oven for the afternoon. I will add potatoes later. I found some pitas in the freezer. I also have 2 eggplants that I will roast later on and make a babganish. So we will eat all this tonight. Will let you know how this all turned out.
2 quote myself, this came out very yummy! We have some leftover and will eat today later on.

Since oxtails have bones and are also a bit fatty, cooking it ahead it had a pool of about a 1/2 inch of fat/grease on top. I skimmed that off a few times and then put the potatoes in. After cooking the potatoes, I removed the bones and it was all very delish!

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#122 of 245 Old 01-09-2010, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicky2 View Post
I like your list. Sounds yummy! Did you use chalkboard paint? I have some and a HUGE (as in, whole wall) chalkboard in the hallway. I should do one in the kitchen! That might actually work better for me because I won't keep up w/an inventory. I try, but always fail.
Thanks! It is chalkboard paint. I love it!
#123 of 245 Old 01-09-2010, 02:39 PM

yesterday, we used up the last of the open chicken broth, frozen cauliflower, sea scallops, and mayo (yes, there were things with color on the plates as well ).
#124 of 245 Old 01-09-2010, 06:01 PM

My goal for this coming week is to cook nearly 100% from the pantry/freezers. I should just have to supplement with fresh produce and milk.

I know we can have sushi (well, I can. The girls don't like it), probably ham and beans, Indian Spiced Lentils with Chicken, 20 to 40 Clove garlic Chicken, Asian Peanut Butter Pork, and maybe Turkey and Wild Rice Soup.

I'm also trying to use my crockpot for the majority of the meals this week. I'm scheduled to work about 50 hours next week and I never feel like cooking when we get home.

Jenn: WOHM to a big girl (7/03), a medium girl (8/07), and a little girl (12/10)
#125 of 245 Old 01-09-2010, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn_M View Post
My goal for this coming week is to cook nearly 100% from the pantry/freezers. I should just have to supplement with fresh produce and milk.

I know we can have sushi (well, I can. The girls don't like it), probably ham and beans, Indian Spiced Lentils with Chicken, 20 to 40 Clove garlic Chicken, Asian Peanut Butter Pork, and maybe Turkey and Wild Rice Soup.

I'm also trying to use my crockpot for the majority of the meals this week. I'm scheduled to work about 50 hours next week and I never feel like cooking when we get home.
Hey can my dh come to your house for a few days to eat that 20-40 garlic clove chicken? He LOVES that, but I don't love being around him for about 3 days after he eats it, rofl!

Happy Homesteading Homeschooling Homebirthing Beekeeping Dready (& a bit redneck even) Mama to 4 fab kids :  dd (23), dd (13), ds (11), dd (5)

#126 of 245 Old 01-09-2010, 07:52 PM

I am about to go to the grocery store for essentials. I have spent a little this week, but definitely will be within my $150 budget for the week.

I cleaned out the pantry yesterday and organised it all. There is lots of stuff I had more than I thought of in there . But it looks great and I can see at a glance what we need.

I also did a new menu plan system. I used to just do main meals on my menu plan, now I've got categories for breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks, drinks and desserts. I don't plan every bit of it, but I write down a bunch of options for each category, from what's already in the pantry. Worked out we have tons of options at the moment, so there isn't much to buy at all. Kids love the new system too, they thought it was very cool to check the list and order off the menu .
#127 of 245 Old 01-09-2010, 08:23 PM

I forgot I had a late Christmas dinner thing with my in-laws last night. (They all went on an employee-rate cruise for the holiday, but our rooms never came through, so we were left behind )

The good thing was, I was in charge of bringing veggies and some bread, but didn't have to go shopping. I just pulled some microwaveable/steam-in-the-bag green beans and baby carrots out of my freezer (thank you, Schwan's!) and threw in a heat-and-serve frozen baguette. I got lots of compliments on the delicious steamed veggies, lol.

Tonight was frozen pizzas, with the addition of extra shredded cheese and some fresh spinach. Not the best meal, but it cleared some space in my fridge & freezer.

I went shopping today and spent $5.02 on food: apples, cottage cheese, some frozen lunches I got on a freebie deal. Dining out days: 0/28 Total grocery budget remaining for the month: $121.47

Janey31 -- I have an options list for just breakfasts/snacks. I have to be careful, tho...my boys think a menu means I'm waitress and busboy, too.

So, does anyone have ideas for what to do with 3ish pounds of nearly-sprouted russet potatoes that doesn't involve soup or baked potatoes?

Specialization is for insects. -- Lazarus Long
#128 of 245 Old 01-09-2010, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagny.galt View Post
So, does anyone have ideas for what to do with 3ish pounds of nearly-sprouted russet potatoes that doesn't involve soup or baked potatoes?

Latkes
? Freezes well and can a breakfast, lunch, dinner or snack item.
#129 of 245 Old 01-10-2010, 02:03 AM

1 was good and no money spent.
2 $0 spent. We are using up the last of the french bread for garlic toast
3 $0 spent. used up leftovers for brunch and we pulled out a chicken to roast tonight
4. $0 spent. ate chicken soup from last night's roasted chicken for lunch. grilled cheese and tomato soup for dinner.
5. $67.11 spent. finished chicken soup for lunch and we'll be having garlic, parmesan chicken, pierogies, and some veggies from the freezer for dinner
6. $31.14 spent. leftovers for lunch (spaghetti) and we've got broccoli cheese soup and breadsticks on the menu for tonight
7. $26.xx spent on dog food. leftover parm. chicken for lunch. had Italian Pasta Bake for dinner and a salad. We finished up a bottle of salad dressing and the croutons so that was nice
8. $0 spent. leftovers for lunch. dinner ended up being fast food
9. $16.xx spent. lunch ended up being what we were supposed to eat for dinner last night. dinner ended up leftovers

SAHM to the munchkins (14.5, 11.5, 9.5, 3, and almost 2)
#130 of 245 Old 01-10-2010, 02:09 AM

Did a great job of eating out of the fridge/pantry today.... but then SIL/BIL called and invited us out for dinner and drinks. The kids ate leftovers, but we went out for burgers and beers.... More leftovers on the menu for tomorrow.

New signature, same old me: Ann- mama of 2 boys and 2 girls, partnered to a fabulous man.
I'm an unintentional weasel feeder and I suck at proofreading.
#131 of 245 Old 01-10-2010, 02:55 AM

My food spending for the month is up to $120 now. We're about on track, but I would really like to come in below the budget I have a bunch of veggies to buy probably on Monday, and then I should be able to coast for a good while. I have not been employing supercook this month, I am going to update it now (or perhaps after I make the things I have already planned...) and see what that turns up
#132 of 245 Old 01-10-2010, 02:40 PM

3 $0 spent. used up leftovers for brunch and we pulled out a chicken to roast tonight
4. $0 spent. ate chicken soup from last night's roasted chicken for lunch. grilled cheese and tomato soup for dinner.
5. $67.11 spent. finished chicken soup for lunch and we'll be having garlic, parmesan chicken, pierogies, and some veggies from the freezer for dinner
6. $31.14 spent. leftovers for lunch (spaghetti) and we've got broccoli cheese soup and breadsticks on the menu for tonight
7. $26.xx spent on dog food. leftover parm. chicken for lunch. had Italian Pasta Bake for dinner and a salad. We finished up a bottle of salad dressing and the croutons so that was nice
9. $16.xx spent. lunch ended up being what we were supposed to eat for dinner last night. dinner ended up leftovers
10. $3.xx spent on potatoes. lunch will be leftovers and dinner will be turkey, mashed potatoes, and corn casserole

#133 of 245 Old 01-10-2010, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucifugous View Post
My food spending for the month is up to $120 now. We're about on track, but I would really like to come in below the budget I have a bunch of veggies to buy probably on Monday, and then I should be able to coast for a good while. I have not been employing supercook this month, I am going to update it now (or perhaps after I make the things I have already planned...) and see what that turns up
Out of sheer curiosity I tried your link with canned salmon, excluding salmon fillets and got nada. Ah well. Allrecipes or brainstorming it shall be!

I have been crazy tight on the budget and can honestly say aside from my Chipotle (drool) outing I haven't spent any unnecessary funds except for my purchase of pregnancy tests, maybe this month the stupid thing will be positive.

I'm at $29 for groceries for the month so far. No shopping this week expected.

Liz

Wife, and mother to a small fairy, a demolition expert, a special new someone this fall and a small dachshund.
#134 of 245 Old 01-10-2010, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Slice thin rounds, toss with spices and EVOO - voila, your own chips?

Slice thin rounds, steam, carefully remove and use to line a greased quiche pan instead of crust?

Roast chunks in EVOO and spices?

Scalloped potatoes?

Twice baked potatoes?

Maybe something will work?

Beef bourgignon (sp?)?

Saute with carrots in oil and Indian spices?

Pot pie?

Liz

Wife, and mother to a small fairy, a demolition expert, a special new someone this fall and a small dachshund.
#135 of 245 Old 01-10-2010, 04:39 PM

Hey, Amy, a question...

I looked at oxtails today, and they are $4.99/lb (same price as ribeye). Is it worth it? Are they really good? I like to try new things, but that's a bit pricey for what we normally pay for meat.
#136 of 245 Old 01-10-2010, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dachshundqueen View Post
Slice thin rounds, steam, carefully remove and use to line a greased quiche pan instead of crust?
Oooh...thanks! I hadn't thought of this. My boys might actually eat it...

#137 of 245 Old 01-10-2010, 07:46 PM

Just joining--been lurking for a few days as we're on a big belt-tightening for the next few months (to pay off credit cards loaded with before-holiday emergencies like new tires, a new computer, vet bills, medical bills). The grocery bill is an obvious place to cut; I can't even bear to look at what we were spending on groceries and eating out.

Did a freezer inventory today and spent some time brainstorming ideas for things to do with stuff that's in there and in danger of freezer burn because it's been there so long. Cooked up some freezer-burned chicken breasts the other night (teriyaki style) and they came out great. Some sauce, sesame seeds and scallions and who knew they were a little freezer burned? No one but me.

Also went through the pantry and recommitted myself to making some stuff with all those dry beans. We're also doing "soup Wednesday," which is shopping day. Before I make the grocery list, I commit the week's leftovers to some kind of soup recipe--it's a great way to use up soon-to-go-rubbery carrots and celery and the one last piece of chicken (or whatever). Plus my DD loves to come home from school on Wednesday to have a hot bowl of soup. Last week, I made potato/vegetable chowder to use up four yukon golds, two flabby carrots, some rubbery celery, half an onion, two slices of bacon and the rest of some milk with a date of that day. Three of us ate it that day, then the leftovers filled 1-quart a Mason jar and covered me for lunch at work the next day and DD for breakfast (!) and an after-school snack and DH for lunch.

Meal planning and organization seems to be essential. For the next three nights, we're eating leftovers. That chicken I mentioned? I saved the leftover chicken, the leftover sauce, the leftover rice. It'll be tomorrow night's dinner with a salad. Some plain pasta from earlier in the week? Tonight's dinner--I'll turn it into a casserole with leftover veg spaghetti sauce, a blob of ground beef I discovered in the freezer and some cheese, along with some EVOO-braised Brussels sprouts for DD and me, salad for the non-BS-eaters. And Tuesday night will be leftover beef bourguignon, which was yesterday's rainy-day project, inspired by our watching Julie & Julia and wanting to use a thing of stew meat in the freezer. Not a cheap meal, but a fun project that'll feed us two dinners and that enabled us to use up some mushrooms.

Trying to keep the grocery bill under $400 for the month. For us, this requires management. And a change in thinking. I quizzed my friend who's been unemployed (neither adult in the house has worked since July) about the cheapest grocery shopping options in town. Mostly, I'm subscribing to the "shop at home first" mentality and trying to use up stuff that's already sitting here, paid for, waiting to go bad. It's kind of fun.
#138 of 245 Old 01-10-2010, 11:14 PM

Resisted temptation while at the grocery store today

Quote:
Originally Posted by dachshundqueen View Post
Out of sheer curiosity I tried your link with canned salmon, excluding salmon fillets and got nada. Ah well. Allrecipes or brainstorming it shall be!
yea I went and updated my "pantry" on supercooks after posting here last night and I am just scratching my head at some ingredients they don't have. I am getting results but I don't like them very much. I have seen a few from Allrecipes pop up on there but the vast majority are from Recipezaar. That is my fav recipe site and they don't have the simple page where you can enter ingredients to include and exclude, but they do have a tool you can use to search for ingredients (so they're worded right, kwim?) and then add them to an include list or drop it down to an exclude list. So it's a little more complicated but it works the same way in the end. It takes a little more time because you could search for sugar say, and then it will pop up with brown sugar and every other type, and you can choose to add them all or just one, etc. and then as you whittle down it will give you the most common ingredients in the recipes that fit your criteria so you can choose one to make it mandatory or exclude it from your recipe, and on and on. It seems like recipezaar has more recipes that are either healthy or geared toward people with dietary restrictions. It's like a "crunchier" allrecipes, if you ask me :P.

The only thing I've done with canned salmon is make patties out of them with those seasoned crumb things.... not my fav thing but if you are craving a strong briny flavor it hits the spot! Serving them on top of a leafy salad certainly tones it down a little.
#139 of 245 Old 01-11-2010, 02:25 AM

Quote:
Oooh...thanks! I hadn't thought of this. My boys might actually eat it...
Along these same lines, you could make a mashed potato crust or topping, like shepherd's pie. Or mash them and use them for a refrigerator dough.

I plan on buying only produce, fruit and some green veg, milk, and coffee this week. Plan on using (some) up this week: noodles, tortillas in the freezer, dried pintos, winter squash, macaroni and cheese (boxed), hot dogs left over from dd's party, dried lentils, canned cranberry sauce.

Mama to 3:
#140 of 245 Old 01-11-2010, 12:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetsyS View Post
Hey, Amy, a question...

I looked at oxtails today, and they are $4.99/lb (same price as ribeye). Is it worth it? Are they really good? I like to try new things, but that's a bit pricey for what we normally pay for meat.
In all honesty, this was literally the LAST THING left from the 2009 side of beef. THus the reason it sat so long in my freezer and since we are picking up the 2010 supply this week, I wanted all of last years gone. IMHO and IME, I would buy the rib eye first! The only reason I even had oxtails was because of our side of beef. I will be eating ribeyes sooner than later because we will have it, but thus the challenge, I had to use up what I had!

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#141 of 245 Old 01-11-2010, 01:20 PM

Well, my dd is picking up a few groceries later (a few means about $100, including dog, cat, fish, and rabbit feeds). There is a good sale at one store, so she'll pick up some things there to last the month. lemons, cilantro, bell peppers, canned tomatoes, etc...stuff like that. Otherwise we really don't need anything else this month.

We got the flu a few days ago, and I'm exhausted from taking care of 3 sick kids who get worse at night. I did manage to make an Asian noodle soup w/pork stock (boiled down and condensed and scooped out and frozen in balls), lots of ginger root (I cut it into 1 inch pieces and freeze w/skin on), lots of fresh garlic, fish sauce, soy sauce, an almost-floppy carrot, a very leafy piece of celery, and some spaghetti noodles. It was soooooo good and nourishing. The kids loved it and ate it twice yesterday (all they ate, poor feverish things).

I need to keep working on my freezers. We have rabbits almost ready to butcher, and more about to be born. I need to make something w/phyllo and berries. Ideas?

Happy Homesteading Homeschooling Homebirthing Beekeeping Dready (& a bit redneck even) Mama to 4 fab kids :  dd (23), dd (13), ds (11), dd (5)

#142 of 245 Old 01-11-2010, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicky2 View Post
I need to make something w/phyllo and berries. Ideas?
Maybe something like this, or similar? I could see doing it with cream cheese, different berries, etc.

#143 of 245 Old 01-11-2010, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Maybe something like this, or similar? I could see doing it with cream cheese, different berries, etc.
MMMM! Thanks! That's perfect.

#144 of 245 Old 01-11-2010, 03:14 PM

Just came back from the market and the coffee shop. Spent $14 on coffee and $29 for produce and milk. Brings my total for the month $168, that includes all the food for dd's party.

Mama to 3:
#145 of 245 Old 01-11-2010, 04:52 PM

10. $10.xx spent on potatoes and misc. lunch will be leftovers and dinner will be turkey, mashed potatoes, and corn casserole
11. $0 spent. lunch and dinner are leftovers

#146 of 245 Old 01-12-2010, 12:32 PM

Still at $120. We have a lot of food here that needs to be eaten, so I am definitely coasting! I have several yummy meals planned that will only take a few more ingredients we don't have, but the fridge is so full it seems silly to buy anything. If I wasn't super flexible thanks to being home all the time, this whole "separating the food" business would be a huge disaster! I guess I don't mean to complain that I am stuck using up things I didn't buy... just that there is also a bunch of absolute crap in the fridge, clogging it up and reducing visibility.
#147 of 245 Old 01-12-2010, 01:25 PM

Ugh, still sick here, and last night was frozen pizza. For some of us. Some just didn't want to eat.

I have a goat liver in the fridge I put in there 4 days ago, and when I did, it was frozen. My refrigerator is on the 'a bit too cold' side. Would you still cook it? My dh really wants it, and it smells fine...I admit, I don't want to cook it. I don't care for liver much. But he wants it, and has been working so hard lately he deserves it. My son wants some, too, and I figure his little sick body might really need it....

#148 of 245 Old 01-12-2010, 03:31 PM

10. $15.xx spent on potatoes and misc. lunch will be leftovers and dinner will be turkey, mashed potatoes, and corn casserole
11. $0 spent. lunch and dinner are leftovers
12. $46.xx spent. lunch is leftovers, dinner is frozen pizza for the kids and grilled pizzas with some of the leftovers on the 2 remaining flat out bread

#149 of 245 Old 01-12-2010, 05:10 PM

So far, I've spent $109 on groceries since Jan. 1. Budget for month: $400

Tomorrow's shopping day, and my list will be pretty short, thanks to the stash in the freezer. Leftover beef bourguignon for dinner tonight, then I'll do a big careful meal plan for the week before I finalize my list for tomorrow's shop.

Goat liver? Uh, what does that taste like?
#150 of 245 Old 01-12-2010, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by witch's mom View Post

Goat liver? Uh, what does that taste like?
Welllllll, for people who like beef liver, goat liver is suppose to be better. I personally do not really care for the liver, but agreed to make it occasionally for dh. Like maybe 2-3x/yr. It's free for us, though, so I feel badly wasting it. I'll eat a small amount because I know it's good for me...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page