New Year Grocery and Pantry Challenge, how did you do? - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#181 of 245 Old 01-19-2010, 11:20 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well, having DH home has shot my meal plan in the foot. Seriously, it's dead.

We've spent $22.79 extra on food just since Saturday evening. Of course, we otherwise would have gone out to eat twice in that time, so I guess it's better than nothing. Tonight we're having homemade chicken pot pie to use up a bunch of leftovers.

I did manage to take snacks and water bottles with us when we went on an unplanned hour-long drive to a friend's place (so DH could fix a plumbing problem she was having). He got paid in deer jerkey, snack sticks, pepperoni, and sausage, so I guess we came out ahead.

Total spent for the month: $121.59
Total remaining in my January budget: $49.12
Meals out: 1/28

My newest pantry/from scratch adventure...learning to make homemade hummus and variations thereof. DH is very happy about this one!

Specialization is for insects. -- Lazarus Long
#182 of 245 Old 01-19-2010, 11:35 AM - Thread Starter

Sunday morning realizing our girls had bad bad cases of cabin fever, DH and I looked at each other and said at the same time- we so need to get out!!

So after church, the car was pointed east, so we went into the city and stopped at the conservatory. Found several families doing the same thing LOL. Then went to our city's greektown and went to our favorite greasy spoon and had lunch YUMMMMMMM.

Since we had a larger lunch, later on DH realized chicken cutlets were out of the question, so he found the refried beans, tortillo shells and cheese and made enchiladas. I also made the bannana breads and munching on that now.

I wanted to make a stew, but I had a larger amount of mushrooms, so made Beef Boughnion last night with noodles. We have been eating cut up raw vegtables as well every night with dinner so we did that as well. Since we borrowed my neighbors huge huge cooler to transport the beef, I returned that with a plate of fresh choco chip cookies. They and their sons were polish that off pretty quick.

This weekend I need to scrub the kitchen fridge and freezer, so we are eating out stuff. I want to make a stock, but I do not have any room right now with all the new meat! Another month I will be able to, so I will keep my cut up veggies onions etc until then.

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#183 of 245 Old 01-19-2010, 12:15 PM

i finally finished the marinara jar in the fridge and opened another one. it's the last with an expiry this year. i also used another can of peas. i've started adding coconut shreds and powdered milk to our small amount of morning oatmeal (our only grain, about 1/3 cup at a time).
#184 of 245 Old 01-19-2010, 03:49 PM

1 was good and no money spent.
2 $0 spent. We are using up the last of the french bread for garlic toast
3 $0 spent. used up leftovers for brunch and we pulled out a chicken to roast tonight
4. $0 spent. ate chicken soup from last night's roasted chicken for lunch. grilled cheese and tomato soup for dinner.
5. $67.11 spent. finished chicken soup for lunch and we'll be having garlic, parmesan chicken, pierogies, and some veggies from the freezer for dinner
6. $31.14 spent. leftovers for lunch (spaghetti) and we've got broccoli cheese soup and breadsticks on the menu for tonight
7. $26.xx spent on dog food. leftover parm. chicken for lunch. had Italian Pasta Bake for dinner and a salad. We finished up a bottle of salad dressing and the croutons so that was nice
8. $0 spent. leftovers for lunch. dinner ended up being fast food
9. $16.xx spent. lunch ended up being what we were supposed to eat for dinner last night. dinner ended up leftovers
10. $15.xx spent on potatoes and misc. lunch will be leftovers and dinner will be turkey, mashed potatoes, and corn casserole
11. $0 spent. lunch and dinner are leftovers
12. $46.xx spent. lunch is leftovers, dinner is frozen pizza for the kids and grilled pizzas with some of the leftovers on the 2 remaining flat out bread
13. $0 spent. lunch is leftovers again. dinner will either be whatever you can find or grilled cheese and tomato soup. We'll be out of town for a couple of days so I've been trying to use up the leftovers before we leave.
14. $55.71 spent. lunch was progresso soup. dinner was eaten in the car (packed lunch)
15. lunch was bought at gymnastics meet and dinner was pizza out with gymnastics group.
16. lunch was fast food (on the road). dinner will be fend for yourself
17. $46.88 for groceries, $15.14 for lunch out with a friend (planned). dinner was a nacho plate
18. $0 spent. lunch mac 'n cheese for kids and PB sandwich for me. dinner was spaghetti and meatballs with garlic toast
19. $0 spent. lunch was leftovers. dinner is chicken noodle rice hotdish

SAHM to the munchkins (14.5, 11.5, 9.5, 3, and almost 2)
#185 of 245 Old 01-20-2010, 02:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mygirls- love how you're tracking your spending!

Almost to the point where I can clean out the fridge, throw out expired stuff and clean the shelves. I should also replace the baking sodas in the fridge and freezers as well.

Last night was chicken cutlet night. DH loves making these and he had the girls helping as well. He took a chicken cutlet sandwich and dd1 also took that for lunch. DD2 had it for breakfast and will want it again for lunch.

Tonight, DH is working late and will be out of town starting tomorrow night for the weekend. We are going to the community dinner a local church has weekly. My friend/neighbor is the youth minister and she has a free after school drop in for grades 1-6 she does on Wednesday. Afterwards at 5:30, the church has this dinner. Its for anyone and several families I know go. A few from my catholic church- they literally go for dinner and then go to Relig Ed at our church. The dinner has gotten quite a lot of press and we have had local chefs approach the director about cooking for it. So every few weeks its pretty high end! So we will pick up dd1 and walk down the hall for dinner and eat with a few friends. A lot of times, the director sends me home w food for DH as well. We have donated several times to this including a few weeks ago. I had 4 roasts left from beef 2009 so I gave them to this. So I am waiting for beef stew to come up!

Luckily, a few relatives are coming into town so we will be pretty busy and no time to miss DH this weekend.

One thing I have done for several years now, is keep a xeroxd calendar on the fridge and pencil in dinners for the next few days. It really helps with planning as well as shopping and using stuff up. I also keep notes at the bottom of things we can make this month such as chili, choco chip cookies, stew etc.

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#186 of 245 Old 01-20-2010, 02:51 PM

Ugh. We definitely need to get a handle on our spending. We're already at $875 for the MONTH, and I seriously don't know how it happened, lol.

I know this is elementary and all, but I'm going to set a limit on how much we can spend on groceries. I think I'll try to do $500/month, since we have butchering about to happen again, and gardening about to get started. Our spending is ridiculous!

Last night we had This N That Mexican Soup. (I made it up, lol). I made stock w/leftover chicken bones from the smoked chicken my dh made. I added the last of my dry black beans, a cup of brown rice, onion, garlic, celery, carrot, bell pepper, li'l smokie sausages I needed to use or freeze, and some tomatillos we bought on sale. Lots of cilantro, too. It was AWESOME! We have lots left over so that will be supper and lunches today.

Happy Homesteading Homeschooling Homebirthing Beekeeping Dready (& a bit redneck even) Mama to 4 fab kids :  dd (23), dd (13), ds (11), dd (5)

#187 of 245 Old 01-21-2010, 01:38 AM

Well the chicken is gone already, but I have a pot roast defrosting. The pantry is definitely getting a bit roomier I need to make sandwich-worthy bread to avoid a trip to the grocery store tomorrow. Then again, it might be a good idea to have everything for the weekend planned and purchased so I don't have to deal with a grocery power struggle on Friday I have a parsnip soup in the works for tomorrow or Friday, definitely doing tacos again with some of the beef, also have everything needed to make a pizza. Still have a couple lonely russets... will stretch those with the parsnips I have in a mash or maybe pancakes, add broccoli and there's one night of roast beef. The rest will probably be for sandwiches and inbetween meals (there are a LOT of those in our nontraditional, out-of-sync household) so I guess I really only have three dinners plus a soup set up at the moment. The soup just might be something I could serve in a bread bowl and call a meal. So now I have two bread challenges.... Hope I can do it! I used up my starter but I have plenty of dry active yeast- also a pantry item that needs to be used up. My breadmaking ebbs and flows... I get into it for a few weeks here and there but ultimately my loaves are inconsistent so I never know if it will be gone within a couple hours or hanging around for days.
#188 of 245 Old 01-21-2010, 02:41 AM

3 $0 spent. used up leftovers for brunch and we pulled out a chicken to roast tonight
4. $0 spent. ate chicken soup from last night's roasted chicken for lunch. grilled cheese and tomato soup for dinner.
5. $67.11 spent. finished chicken soup for lunch and we'll be having garlic, parmesan chicken, pierogies, and some veggies from the freezer for dinner
6. $31.14 spent. leftovers for lunch (spaghetti) and we've got broccoli cheese soup and breadsticks on the menu for tonight
7. $26.xx spent on dog food. leftover parm. chicken for lunch. had Italian Pasta Bake for dinner and a salad. We finished up a bottle of salad dressing and the croutons so that was nice
9. $16.xx spent. lunch ended up being what we were supposed to eat for dinner last night. dinner ended up leftovers
10. $15.xx spent on potatoes and misc. lunch will be leftovers and dinner will be turkey, mashed potatoes, and corn casserole
12. $46.xx spent. lunch is leftovers, dinner is frozen pizza for the kids and grilled pizzas with some of the leftovers on the 2 remaining flat out bread
13. $0 spent. lunch is leftovers again. dinner will either be whatever you can find or grilled cheese and tomato soup. We'll be out of town for a couple of days so I've been trying to use up the leftovers before we leave.
14. $55.71 spent. lunch was progresso soup. dinner was eaten in the car (packed lunch)
15. lunch was bought at gymnastics meet and dinner was pizza out with gymnastics group.
17. $46.88 for groceries, $15.14 for lunch out with a friend (planned). dinner was a nacho plate
18. $0 spent. lunch mac 'n cheese for kids and PB sandwich for me. dinner was spaghetti and meatballs with garlic toast
20. $89.xx spent. lunch was leftovers for all of us. dinner was pork chops, mashed potatoes, apples, and broccoli

#189 of 245 Old 01-21-2010, 11:31 AM

I am rocking the pantry challenge!! I am five days from payday, and I've only spent $99 this pay period. I've bought:
milk
bread (I do want to make my own...long explanation)
yogurt
applesauce
cheese

...and wine and a pack of Skinny Cows.

We are going to make it until next Tuesday under $100 for a family of four. It's my own personal best! Yeah!

Mama to A 8/05 and S 11/06
#190 of 245 Old 01-21-2010, 08:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefulfaith View Post
I am rocking the pantry challenge!! I am five days from payday, and I've only spent $99 this pay period. I've bought:
milk
bread (I do want to make my own...long explanation)
yogurt
applesauce
cheese

...and wine and a pack of Skinny Cows.

We are going to make it until next Tuesday under $100 for a family of four. It's my own personal best! Yeah!
Wow. That is awesome!!! I was able to do that the first couple of times I did a pantry challenge.

#191 of 245 Old 01-21-2010, 08:47 PM - Thread Starter

So DH made the chicken cutlets Tuesday for dinner. The kids ate them with leftover noodles from the beef burgn night. We ate ours on a larger bed of luttuce/spinach that needed to be eaten. Then Wed, he took a chicken cutlet sandwich and the girls had them for lunch. I had them on the rest of the salad lettuce. I saved a bit though. Then today, dd1 took some more for lunch. Then I get a text from DH saying can I make him 2 sandwiches w the leftover cutlets "like I made yesterday" for him. He put them in his briefcase for his flight tonight. He hates buying airport food so that worked out well.

I have a bit leftover for dd2's lunch tomorrow. The chicken that keeps on giving!

#192 of 245 Old 01-21-2010, 09:13 PM

Our This N That Mexican soup fed us for a long time! We had it the first night, then the next day for lunch (everyone, including my MIL, so 7 of us), then I added half a head of cabbage to the rest and we ate it last night for supper, dh took it to work for lunch today, and there is a nice big helping left for my snack tonight, lol!

Tonight I'm using up the last of my potatoes. We're having major fusion cuisine tonight, rofl! I'm making Aloo Parathas (I have a ton of cilantro, too), Fajita Frittata, and some frozen blueberries and dark sweet cherries. I need to use up some of these bell peppers I have, so that's why the Fajita part of the frittata, plus we have a gazillion eggs lately...

Happy Homesteading Homeschooling Homebirthing Beekeeping Dready (& a bit redneck even) Mama to 4 fab kids :  dd (23), dd (13), ds (11), dd (5)

#193 of 245 Old 01-21-2010, 09:13 PM

20. $89.xx spent. lunch was leftovers for all of us. dinner was pork chops, mashed potatoes, apples, and broccoli
21. $0 spent. lunch was leftovers. dinner is pancakes, sausage, and smoothies

#194 of 245 Old 01-21-2010, 09:53 PM

I made more bread on Monday 4 loafs of bread & 16 hamburger buns. This time I did it 100% whole wheat & I even soaked the flour this time. It came out so good, only problem is the bread is getting eaten faster that the store bought stuff. But it is so much cheaper this way I don't even care! I used this recipe, but I skipped the dough enhancers & it came out so amazing! Now I'm really wanting a grain mill & I'm saving up for one. I'm looking for cheap sources for organic wheat berries & honey. The only thing I had to buy was the yeast. I bought 2 lbs of instant yeast from BJ's as a non member for $3.69!!! I think they charge 10% more for non-members. That will last me many loaves!

This week we ate fresh caught fish that Grandpa brought us after a day of ice fishing, it was so, so good & FREE! I also made curried lentils over brown rice one night with all pantry& fridge stuff.

Today I made a giant pot of soup with odds & ends! I started the stock last night before bed with venison bones & added the ziplock freezer bag full of veggie scraps that I accumulate & I let is simmer over night. Making stock like this is lif free because the bones & celery, carrot & onion ends, parsley stems that sort of thing. I strained it mid-morning then kept it on low. I added, barley, carrots, parsnips, potatoes, celery, onions, peas, corn, mushrooms, zucchini & a can of diced tomatos. It was fantastic & we have a whole gallon left after dinner!

I also made a gallon of yogurt overnight in my cooler! This saves me loads of cash!!!

Giving Love serves as a wonderful reminder that we already have an abundance of Love within, "it is in giving that we receive."
#195 of 245 Old 01-21-2010, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookiePie View Post
It came out so good, only problem is the bread is getting eaten faster that the store bought stuff.
I have this same issue! It's nice to be preferred over the pros
I attempted to make sandwich bread today to avoid going to the store... the first loaf was too fluffy for a real sandwich but delicious. Second might be a bit sturdier but I haven't cut into it yet. Either way, they will work for open-faced sandwiches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amys1st View Post
So DH made the chicken cutlets Tuesday for dinner. The kids ate them with leftover noodles from the beef burgn night. We ate ours on a larger bed of luttuce/spinach that needed to be eaten. Then Wed, he took a chicken cutlet sandwich and the girls had them for lunch. I had them on the rest of the salad lettuce. I saved a bit though. Then today, dd1 took some more for lunch. Then I get a text from DH saying can I make him 2 sandwiches w the leftover cutlets "like I made yesterday" for him. He put them in his briefcase for his flight tonight. He hates buying airport food so that worked out well.

I have a bit leftover for dd2's lunch tomorrow. The chicken that keeps on giving!
That is awesome! I made my first whole chicken earlier in the month and it lasted for many sandwiches.. the second I made this week & it just seemed to fly away, LoL.

I have a pot roast that is about to come out of the crock pot.. too late for dinner for us, but it will be a hot meal for my mom when she gets home from working late. I put parsnips in with the roast... would I be able to use those for mashed potatoes & parsnips, or would they be too overcooked & saturated??
Anyway, we are doing great. [ETA: Today we finished both the grits and the oatmeal! Been slacking on those Cheerios but hopefully those will be sufficient, with some good fruit on the side.]
We have less options open than we are used to, and that is fine with me. My brother did go to the store today for some sweets and a couple boxed microwaveable asian-style meals, but that's fine. He demands a ridiculous level of convenience and now that we've stopped trying to accommodate that, I think we can eat better ourselves.
#196 of 245 Old 01-22-2010, 12:36 PM - Thread Starter

When we had an abudance of cheerious growing up, I would make "hot buttered o's". It was a recipe on the back of the box in the early 80s. I got the idea after another girl in the girl scout troop brought it as a snack one time. Her mother also made chex mix on the back of the box.

Melt some butter in a pan. Add the cheerios. After browning a bit, take out and salt to taste. As I got better, I would add soy sauce to the melting butter or garlic powder etc. Sometimes would add something else in the mix such as raisons, choco chips, ricechex etc. Sort of a kid version of trail mix.

#197 of 245 Old 01-22-2010, 01:07 PM

We've been doing pretty good. I had inventoried the freezers so I now have a master list on the front of the fridge and so I can look at that when I'm trying to figure out meals. Quite helpful! I've doing great at only buying fresh produce and milk, I'm using the bread from the freezer up. Today I'm going to make zucchini bisque from the zucchini in the freezer (which probably won't make much of a dent!). I also bought some chilis and cilantro to make salsa out of the loads of tomatoes I froze last summer! Overall doing pretty well. It's exciting to see the pantry items get smaller and smaller.

DS 7 ~ DS 3

#198 of 245 Old 01-22-2010, 01:37 PM

Well, with my previous meal plan dead, I had to re-work it to fit DH's presence, tastes, and preferences (not to mention cooking abilities...he's a very different sort of cook). Here's my rest-of-the-month meal plan, using up only pantry and fridge/freezer items.

22: lunch, leftovers; dinner, chili
23: breakfast, sausage eggs and pancakes; lunch, chili; dinner, pot roast
24: breakfast, smoothies & cereal; lunch, roast leftovers; dinner, stew
25: breakfast, yogurt & granola; lunch, veg. stew leftovers; dinner, pot pies
26: breakfast, ham/egg scramble; lunch, mac n cheese; dinner, jambalaya
27: breakfast, pancakes; lunch, leftovers; dinner, Fend For Yourself (leftovers)
28: breakfast, cereal; lunch, sandwiches; dinner, Mexican night
29: breakfast, muffins; lunch, leftover Mexican; dinner, chicken stir fry
30: breakfast, cereal; lunch, leftovers; dinner, hamburgers
31: breakfast, waffles; lunch, leftover burgers; dinner, roasted chicken

We have been on another grocery shopping trip, the last for the month and possibly a good bit of Feb., since learning that DH's layoff will be longer than the short week or two we had wished. While I'm now over budget due to another lunch out before we got the news (Sonic *sigh*), I'm not worried too much. We've got enough pantry/fridge/freezer items to get us through for a while.

Total spent for the month: $174.13
Total remaining in my January budget: -$3.42
Meals out: 2/28

Does anyone here have a good, well-tested recipe for pitas? I think that's my next new skill to learn, but I see so many options...

Specialization is for insects. -- Lazarus Long
#199 of 245 Old 01-22-2010, 02:52 PM

Mind if I join? We are 3 peeps - me, DP and DD with a LO on the way. Today I had a severe bout of nesting and cleaned out and defrosted my freezer and deep freezer chest. I did some shopping with DP and I'm making chili and stew this weekend with extra to freeze. Still need to figure out if we made a good deal or not. AND I forgot to buy ground beef so DP will be out to pick that up so that I can add that to my calculations. But so far I've spent approx. 24 € on items for stew and chili to make enough for the three of us for at least 8 meals altogether. I really need to get back into the swing of this because we've been spending way too much on food without much of a plan. And when the baby arrives I want a full freezer to feed us instead of going back to chaotic buying/cooking habits.
Otherwise we're really good about cleaning out the dry goods each month and we don't eat out too often. I'm hoping we can make some big savings by OACM/freezer cooking combined with meal planning.
ETA: Oh, and I usually also back my own bread. It's sooo much cheaper than buying a loaf of bread.

hide.gif Me 41, single mom to modifiedartist.gifdd 4/2001 and demon.gif ds 7/17/2010

#200 of 245 Old 01-22-2010, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagny.galt View Post

Does anyone here have a good, well-tested recipe for pitas? I think that's my next new skill to learn, but I see so many options...
Nope, but if you find one I would love to have the recipe. I was JUST telling dh last night I wanted to learn to make pita!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrilein View Post
Mind if I join? We are 3 peeps - me, DP and DD with a LO on the way. Today I had a severe bout of nesting and cleaned out and defrosted my freezer and deep freezer chest. I did some shopping with DP and I'm making chili and stew this weekend with extra to freeze. Still need to figure out if we made a good deal or not. AND I forgot to buy ground beef so DP will be out to pick that up so that I can add that to my calculations. But so far I've spent approx. 24 € on items for stew and chili to make enough for the three of us for at least 8 meals altogether. I really need to get back into the swing of this because we've been spending way too much on food without much of a plan. And when the baby arrives I want a full freezer to feed us instead of going back to chaotic buying/cooking habits.
Otherwise we're really good about cleaning out the dry goods each month and we don't eat out too often. I'm hoping we can make some big savings by OACM/freezer cooking combined with meal planning.
ETA: Oh, and I usually also back my own bread. It's sooo much cheaper than buying a loaf of bread.

Welcome!

The Aloo Parathas last night were awesome! I had never made them before. I made the leftover ones into quesadillas (more fusion, lol), and they rocked! I will definitely be making them again!

Not sure what we're having tonight. Honestly, probably Schwans lasagne and salad. We are having a bday bowling party tomorrow, so I'll be busy tonight making preparations.

#201 of 245 Old 01-22-2010, 04:54 PM

22. $0 spent. lunch was leftovers. dinner will be whatever we can dig up for ourselves (girls will be at a bday party over dinner)

#202 of 245 Old 01-22-2010, 06:37 PM

Is it too late to join? I LOVE this! Not only are we completely broke, but also snowed in for the past week.

I have tons of spaghetti noodles and canned sauce, rice, potatoes, canned beans and tomatoes, pancake mix and syrup, oatmeal, flour and baking supplies, and misc. canned stuff. plus a bunch of stuff in my freezer.

Three things I'm eager to rid of:
1. An explicable amount of something called canned chili beans, which are pinto beans in some kind of sauce, like ranch beans. I don't like these straight from the can as a side dish, so I'm trying to think of something to stick them in.

2. Canned fruit cocktail. UGH. I'm ready to donate these to the food bank unless someone can suggest another use. It's too cold for smoothies and I don't want to buy whipped cream and nuts to make ambrosia. I was thinking some kind of pineapple upside down cake with fruit cocktail instead of pineapple. Would that be disgusting?

3. We have a hug, unidentifiable piece of meat in our freezer that might be a roast. I never buy meat (this was part of a CSA deal including hamburger, etc. but I don't remember what this was) so I'm not sure. Should I just stick it in the crock pot?

Sandy (41), Mama to Oscar (Feb 2009) and Aria (April 2012), infertility and miscarriage survivor brokenheart.gif 11/25/10 and brokenheart.gif 6/22/11.

#203 of 245 Old 01-22-2010, 10:31 PM - Thread Starter

Welcome! I would defrost the roast to identify LOL and then brown each side. Then stick in crock pot with liquid and maybe some veggies under and aorund?

So then you have a meal or just slice it thin and have sandwich meat for a while.

We had swedish meatballs made of ground turkey tonight. Served with some pasta. DD1 had a friend over and she ate with us, loved them too! I have a bunch left so I am freezing and can take out a few for DH when he arrives home on Sunday late. I am pretty sure he will be hungry.

Tomorrow supposley going out with family while my ILs stay home and make dinner and watch the grandchildren, only about 5 or so, shouldnt be hard. Then MIL is making something for Sunday dinner.

We have hot dogs, cereal, and other things to eat for the other meals so we should be fine.

#204 of 245 Old 01-23-2010, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alittlesandy View Post

Three things I'm eager to rid of:
1. An explicable amount of something called canned chili beans, which are pinto beans in some kind of sauce, like ranch beans. I don't like these straight from the can as a side dish, so I'm trying to think of something to stick them in.
Are those the s&w beans? Those are so good just plain I recently used them in chili (amazing idea, I know ) when I forgot to soak my dry beans and it turned out pretty much like my normal chili. Canned beans don't really go very far in chili so you can probably get rid of quite a few.
#205 of 245 Old 01-23-2010, 02:00 AM

Well . . . $23 over budget with over a week left to go. This sounds worse than it is, given that I set us a budget of $400 for groceries and any other miscellaneous expenses. (Eating out, wiper blades, doctor/dentist copays, paper goods, pet food--anything other than gas or bills that I pay online.) I couldn't bear to actually total up how much I was spending before, but I'd reckon we were $1000-plus. So to be into it for $423 three weeks into the month, I'm not thrilled, but I'm okay with it.

Paid off a credit card today that was at $1900 at the end of December, so that feels great.

Cooked a pork shoulder roast tonight, which will feed us for at least two more nights. It was cheap, too--99 cents a pound, so about $3.50 total. I bought a couple of them. Chicken breasts were 99 cents a pound, too, so I filled up the freezer with those. Got some leftover frosting containers from the bakery that I'm airing out with baking soda and vinegar; they'll be bulk containers for flour, sugar, beans, etc. That'll help keep me out of the store and allow me to buy in larger quantities and pay a lesser price per unit.
#206 of 245 Old 01-23-2010, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amys1st View Post
When we had an abudance of cheerious growing up, I would make "hot buttered o's". It was a recipe on the back of the box in the early 80s. I got the idea after another girl in the girl scout troop brought it as a snack one time. Her mother also made chex mix on the back of the box.

Melt some butter in a pan. Add the cheerios. After browning a bit, take out and salt to taste. As I got better, I would add soy sauce to the melting butter or garlic powder etc. Sometimes would add something else in the mix such as raisons, choco chips, ricechex etc. Sort of a kid version of trail mix.
Awesome, thank you We will definitely try this sometime soon

Like a few PPs, I am interested in making pita bread, and definitely aloo paratha!
#207 of 245 Old 01-23-2010, 12:40 PM

Thank you for the replies everyone!

1/22-For supper we had veggie burgers and home fries (using up stuff from the freezer). I'm out of diet Coke (and don't plan to buy more...gulp...) so I made a pitcher of iced tea, using up one of the many boxes of herbal teas in my cupboard. It was good...with lots of sugar!

I'll keep you posted on the mystery meat and chili beans! Thanks for the tips!

Sandy (41), Mama to Oscar (Feb 2009) and Aria (April 2012), infertility and miscarriage survivor brokenheart.gif 11/25/10 and brokenheart.gif 6/22/11.

#208 of 245 Old 01-23-2010, 12:56 PM

over the past couple of days, i've used 2 cans of salmon, 3 cans of corn, and 2 cups of dried beans, but have added some ground beef. i'm tired of pork, pork, pork, rabbit, pork, repeat.
#209 of 245 Old 01-23-2010, 01:41 PM

22. $0 spent. lunch was leftovers. dinner will be whatever we can dig up for ourselves (girls will be at a bday party over dinner)
23. $17.72 spent. lunch will be leftovers or whatever you dig up and dinner will be something with chicken, rice, and broccoli and cauliflour mix

#210 of 245 Old 01-24-2010, 12:24 PM

1/22-For supper we had veggie burgers and home fries (using up stuff from the freezer). I'm out of diet Coke (and don't plan to buy more...gulp...) so I made a pitcher of iced tea, using up one of the many boxes of herbal teas in my cupboard. It was good...with lots of sugar!

1/23-Supper was salmon cakes made from canned salmon, homemade mac and cheese, and frozen corn.

Had a lot of fun last night taking everything out of the "pantry" (we don't really have a pantry, just devote two cupboards to food), seeing what we have, organizing it, and putting everything back. I can't BELIEVE some of the stuff we have. Dried mushrooms from 2004! And some expired bread mixes, which I'm tempted to try, but I'm guessing the yeast won't work.

I have a whole list of meals planned now, and won't need to spend much on groceries for awhile, just supplement with vegetables, milk, butter, and cheese.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page