H&M and Wal-Mart destroy and trash unsold goods - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-08-2010, 04:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/beaut...-goods-562909/

That was a really poor financial move on their part. And I know it happens everywhere.

This is NOT the time to have that kind of bad press.... they REALLY should have donated it and hyped it up. Now they have just pissed off more people.

So many people could have used that stuff, this year especially!

Resistance is futile Matey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2010, 11:36 PM

I read that article
I am angry and glad they got called out!
Old 01-08-2010, 11:41 PM

I can't even fathom the thought process that brings someone to the conclusion that this type of waste is ok

Victim of Birth Rape & Coerced ribboncesarean.gifUnnecesareanribboncesarean.gif What makes people think they can cut up someone else's genitals? nocirc.gif
Old 01-08-2010, 11:42 PM

I mentioned that story to my mom this morning...and she informed me that most retail stores do that! She currently works at a big box home improvement store and used to work for Sears. They both do this each month with outdated inventory. Just disgusting!

~Rebecca~
mama to a sweet girl , & 4 silly boys

Old 01-08-2010, 11:51 PM

It's so disgusting.

I read that this morning and was scratching my head because about 10 years ago I worked in a nursing home and a woman I worked with used to bring in "donations" from WalMart once a week. I guess someone at that store felt badly about it and snuck them off to do some good? Good for them, but shame on the companies.

Nicole, sewmachine.gif Mama to hearts.gif C (4/07) and whistling.gif Z (2/09).

Old 01-08-2010, 11:53 PM

Boy, that's really disheartening. The thought that people are out there without warm clothes, and they refuse to even give them the stuff they consider garbage... that really turns my stomach. I hope they realize they have been caught red-handed and stop doing that.

Then when you think further, you realize all of the resources and environmental damage that went into producing those goods in the first place (natural resources, emissions, child/underpaid labor, shipping across the globe) only for them to end up never-used and purposefully destroyed. Shame on them.

CPST ***I can help keep your child safe in the car. Ask me a car seat question!***
Old 01-09-2010, 04:13 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Wow now I can understand how some Ebay sellers can sell lots of new clothes very cheaply. They must have managed to get their hands on them before they were destroyed. I just bought a lot of NWT sweaters for $20. I gave away some of them for Xmas, saved a couple for myself and donated the others. I'm wearing a piece right now and it's awesome. Now imagine if all those end up in the landfill without ever being worn.

Mom to 2 beautiful autistic boys (12 & 11)  
Old 01-10-2010, 12:25 AM

I think that practice is really common. I work in a restaurant in a plaza next to a Hallmark. The dumpsters for our place and the Hallmark are out back behind the stores in the 'smoking/lazy/feed the stray cats' area. We have sat and watched while Hallmark managers smash boxes of figurines, rip up greeting cards and slash stuffed animals before they throw them in the dumpster. It's so wasteful. A few times our waitresses have offered to take items to goodwill, or donate them (promising not to sell anything) but they refuse, and continue to destroy perfectly good merchandise.

shamrocksmile.gifAmber SAHM Fiber Artist Mom to:knit.gif
Maddison (9): Arwen (8): Finn (4): Aedan (2)

stork-suprise.gif Sept 2012

User Tag List