H&M and Wal-Mart destroy and trash unsold goods - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 50 Old 01-09-2010, 06:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
On a positive light: check out this article about Missouri Organic, a company started near where I live. Corporations are not all evil, this also shows the potential for some of retailers 'leftovers'.

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/lif...1?OpenDocument

supermod.gif semi crunchy single student super mama to DS 7wave.gif and DD 3shy.gif. Falling in stillheart.gif with single super dad superhero.gif to DD5kissy.gif and DD2energy.gif 
#32 of 50 Old 01-09-2010, 06:07 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveMyBabyBird View Post
how many people do you know, that throw out New unused items? I wouldn't, for sure, if i had a box of unused items, i would give them to family (ie, walmarts poor underpaid workers).
Have you ever gone, or known anyone that has gone dumpster diving? Ever know a trash collector? My dh worked many years for a moving company. TONS of people throw perfectly good, new items away every day. We furnished our first apartment solely on things that were on the side of the curb! Dishes and everything. A lot of people are just plain lazy and don't want to drive it over to goodwill.

My suspicion, from my pp, is there destruction of goods may stem from their return policy. You don't need any receipt/proof of purchase to return something to walmart. People have been known to buy things at thrift shops and return to walmart. Target's return policy sucks and maybe that's why they donate to goodwill.
#33 of 50 Old 01-09-2010, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pariah View Post
Anyone dumpster dive? I used to quite a bit, and was able to find clothes, food, home items, etc.
My Kenneth Cole winter coat was a trash pick. Nothing wrong with it, just needed a wash. My friend picked up a nearly new IKEA tv cabinet. We routinely put stuff on our curb with a note that says it;s free. It's usually gone within a couple of hours.

I can think of so many things that could be done with those discards that are in usable condition. It just makes me sad.
#34 of 50 Old 01-09-2010, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theia View Post
It kinda does make more sense. But there should be other methods of dealing with even thrift store rejects aside from it ending up in a landfill. It could be sent back overseas to really impoverished areas. In many areas that are severely impoverished pretty much everything has a second, third and fourth life. I know it's still harsh environmentally cuz of the pollution associated with shipping. But seems like many things that even a thrift store shopper is unwilling to purchase would sure find purpose elsewhere.
The thrift store I buy stuff from and donate too does this. They send anything they can't sell to impoverished countries.
#35 of 50 Old 01-09-2010, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucyem View Post
Our local Panera bread used to have all kinds of day old baked goods in the dumpster behind their store. It would be overflowing on Sundays. Inside on the Panera literature they said the company policy was to donate to shelters. Yet ours threw it all away. I sent an email to corporate and I heard others did too. The dumping seems to have stopped.

is it possible they were donating as much as they could get rid of? the grocery store I work donates about a quarter of its day old bread. That is all the food pantry and soup kitchens will take. (there are 5 stores locally in the chain. plus 2 walmarts, two targets and another chain of smaller grocery stores with 3 locations and only 3 places feeding people and one food pantry that accepts parishables). granted they could give it to their emplyees but then that cuts into their sales : they used to give a bunch to salvation army who would give it away to who ever would take it. my friend and I would always go load up but they clearly had trouble giving it away. so they stopped accepting it.

clothes at goodwill are more expensive than things on the clearance rack at walmart. it is possible no one wanted this stuff? charities here turn away stuff becuase they are full all the time. Not even poor people really want piles of crap. also shipping stuff from one place to another often costs more than the stuff.

you would htink stores like walmart would open clearance centers. The grocery store i work for has a "thrift shop" attatched to one of the stores. all the over stock, seasonal, goofs, damaged but not beyond what is legally allowed, general merchandise etc is sent there. its very low budget and still clears a little money on loss items for the store. it was beautiful! Walmart is big enough to pull something like that off at least on a regional scale.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#36 of 50 Old 01-09-2010, 07:48 PM

[QUOTE=MommyDOK;14907830]A lot of people are just plain lazy and don't want to drive it over to goodwill.

QUOTE]

Why bother taking it to goodwill? I put everything out on the curb. the people who take it get it for free- better for them. and I don't have to take it anywhere - better for me. Not to mention stuff I put on the curb is often taken within hours if not minutes. its kinda a city tradition here. opn that note, be careful what you leave sitting out anywhere near the curb....

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#37 of 50 Old 01-09-2010, 07:49 PM

for foodstuffs, especially perishables, there are MANY laws, a lot of them at the local level that tells retailers what they can do with unsellable foods. Much of the time there is no other option BUT to throw it away, per sanitation and food codes.
#38 of 50 Old 01-09-2010, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyDOK View Post
Yeah, I hate to tell you this but a lot of retailers do this.

As for expired food, I've heard it is illegal to donate that. I eat expired food all the time at home. I think it should be the choice of the person, not the govt deciding.

I don't think it's illegal to donate expired food - but it is a huge liability issue. Most restaurants are concerned about donating food because of that - I know where I work, we HATE to throw away food. Banquet leftovers? Someone takes them home. Half eaten steak? The prep-cook has a couple of dogs. Unfinished chicken parm? Well, we have the best fed stay cats and raccoons ever.

shamrocksmile.gifAmber SAHM Fiber Artist Mom to:knit.gif
Maddison (9): Arwen (8): Finn (4): Aedan (2)

stork-suprise.gif Sept 2012

#39 of 50 Old 01-09-2010, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitfulmomma View Post
Two thoughts...

What if the charities didn't have the room to take all this stuff? I mean, dh talked to our local Goodwill and they said from the time you drop something off until it hits the shelf is 1 year. That means they are already storing a huge amount of things.
My dad owns a construction business and hauls his own trash to the dump (he has his own dump truck). He says every time he is there he sees at least one tractor trailer from the Salvation Army just dumping everything. Sometimes there will be 2 or 3 there. People tend to use SA or GW as a dumping ground for items that are no longer usable.

#40 of 50 Old 01-10-2010, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyka View Post
is it possible they were donating as much as they could get rid of? the grocery store I work donates about a quarter of its day old bread.
One thing I don't get is, why doesn't the bakery at the grocery store start making less bread every day? In a market economy, one would think this would all operate more efficiently -- like, the business manager tracking which days they usually end up with much less
#41 of 50 Old 01-10-2010, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by traceface View Post
One thing I don't get is, why doesn't the bakery at the grocery store start making less bread every day? In a market economy, one would think this would all operate more efficiently -- like, the business manager tracking which days they usually end up with much less
I assume a company like a bakery over produces goods in an effort to keep customers happy. I'd be quite irritated if I went to the store for bread, and couldn't buy any because none was available. I think it would lead to complaints and destroy brand loyalty. I would think that companies wouldn't WANT to over produce goods, but they aim for a small surplus to ensure customer satisfaction.

#42 of 50 Old 01-10-2010, 02:34 PM

My husband is always absolutely disgusted by all that is thrown away at the walmart warehouse he works in. One can busts on other cans? The entire pallet is thrown away. Ice cream sits on the docks for longer than the 30 minutes they are allowed? Thrown away. (And then someone gets in BIG trouble.)

And no employees are EVER allowed to take anything home. They have security at the exits to make sure the employees aren't taking any food home.
#43 of 50 Old 01-11-2010, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by traceface View Post
They all do this....well, at least any business that wants to stay open for very long. They will keep year to year data, week to week and holiday. They will mark what time they ran out for a comparable day. For example: ran out of whole wheat at 3pm. And then make more for a matching day. There are computer programs specifically for such things. It is the most efficient of any system I've ever seen. But consumers are erratic...before a predicted snow day, consumers will stock up.....other things happen. I remember one year we were at a panera near a museum on a holiday (the museum was open), but it was a very cold day. No one was in there except us. They offered us a big bag of food when we left

The paneras (around here) gives leftovers to their employess, or at least they used to.

Perhaps some of these companies are worried about a lawsuit and that is why they don't give to employees? If food is expired, or a can bursts then it could cause contamination to the other products (botulism)..... In our litigious country, and lack of a loser-pays system (decreases frivolous lawsuits-loser pays for fees if they lose the lawsuit and is used in England, France, Germany and others), this could possibly explain it.

I know when I worked at a cosmetics company, we were asked to not donate any fragrances to any women's shelters bc they would drink them. I was kind of surprised by that...back then, but nothing surprises me now!
#44 of 50 Old 01-11-2010, 12:33 AM

Me (27) DH (30)...9 Years

DD (7) ~ DD (4) ~ DS (3)

Praying our April 2013 baby sticks!! joy.gif

Babies in Heaven...angel.gif 9/04 angel.gif 2/05 angel.gif 3/11 angel.gif 4/11 angel.gif 6/11 angel.gif 11/11 angel.gif 2/12 (along with my tube greensad.gif )

#45 of 50 Old 01-11-2010, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucyem View Post
Our local Panera bread used to have all kinds of day old baked goods in the dumpster behind their store. It would be overflowing on Sundays. Inside on the Panera literature they said the company policy was to donate to shelters. Yet ours threw it all away. I sent an email to corporate and I heard others did too. The dumping seems to have stopped.
The Paneras around here all donate their food. My MIL's church gets the leftovers every Wednesday.
#46 of 50 Old 01-11-2010, 02:18 PM

I work on a stpck crew and if we get a busted can we throw the hole flat away. honestly, maggots. I am not reaching in there to save a couple of cans. not to mention I get paid $10 and hour (mid range for wages) and you do not want to pay me to spend half an hour standing in the bathroom (where you will later wash up) washing maggots and rot stink off of a $.75 cans of soup. easier and more cost effectiver to throw the whole thing away. if we can save some we do but seriously. it will also cost the store money if I start throwing up from the grossness. that would take more than half an hour to clear up.....and more than just one employee.....its all about what is most cost effective.

#47 of 50 Old 01-11-2010, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyka View Post
its all about what is most cost effective.
This is so true!

However, "cost effective" is only looked at from a right here, right now dollars and cents perspective most of the time. Potential lawsuits also play an inordinate amount into the equation. The legal status of corporations (as an entity, like a person) is also huge in so many ways.

The long-term cost effectiveness is rarely considered in this country. Especially when considering the "effectiveness" in a broader way than dollars and cents. Look where we are now with regards to shipping food all over the world. The cost of shipping is greatly skewed. Transportation costs go far beyond the dollars and cents required to get product X to country A. It displaces employees all over the world and increases fuel consumption and destroys food diversity and soil conditions and the list goes on and on.

I don't know what the ultimate answer is, but I believe I can start with my own purchasing and consumption habits and make a difference. Even if that difference is simply a more peaceful home and life for my family, it is worth it. That teaches our child, who will then teach her children, and so forth. Not to mention the ripple effect in the current generations. Our network of friends is becoming more and more locally-minded and none of us were huge consumers to start and are still cutting back on volume. I'd like to think the "simple life" trend will be good for humanity.

There will be growing pains along the way, however.

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

#48 of 50 Old 01-11-2010, 04:36 PM

I know a lot of grocery stores dont sell expired food but ours does. They pull it from the shelves and put it in a shelf for specifically that. The barcodes are scribbled out and the date is circled. They stick dented cans or dmaged boxes there too. My kids bee-line it for that display everytime. If a 6 pack of apple sauce breaks open they mark each one .10 This is a jackpot find for my kiddos, lol. I get tons of bread mixes and such because they expire on the shelf and then get resold for .50 Dude, dry stuff lasts waaaay beyond the expired date. We find bread mixes, pancake mix, cereal, cereal bars, cans of tomatoes, beans ... all kinds of stuff. Super cheap and we grab an armload at a time.

The same grocery store also puts abundles of day old bakery stuff into grab bags. If its near expired or a day old they will bundle 6 or more items together in a bag and stick a 3.99 tag on it. Each item in the bag is worth 2.99 or more. They range from pies, rolls, bread, cookies, donuts and muffins. I usually grab one of these each Friday for the weekend for snacks and easy breakfast items, the rest I freeze.

Our local Target donates stuff to GW. Shopping at GW is like shopping at Target, well half of it is anyways. Most of the donations GW takes in gets shipped to a warehouse. We brought in bags of like-new clothes and they stuck it imediately on an outgoing truck to go sit in a warehouse. We've decided to just garage sale the items instead this spring. We'll sell them for a quarter where GW sells them for $2+ a piece. I think we'll help more people this way and its not just getting shipped off.

Mom to Joscelyne 14, Andrew 12, and Mackenzie 10 and wife to Nate.
#49 of 50 Old 01-11-2010, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1babysmom View Post
My brother did some community service at a local dump and he said you wouldn't believe all the stuff that WalMart piles up there. HUGE amounts of perfectly good, unopened items. SICK that they dump it. What a waste. All the more reason that I hate WalMart.

My personal beef with them- my dad is a local farmer and he and my uncle run a packing shed. A WM in a few states away bought a truckload of onions from them. There was nothing wrong with the onions, but ONE bag on ONE pallet was slightly off on weight (and I believe it was OVER rather than under) and they discarded the ENTIRE truckload of onions. SICK. And to think how hard my dad worked for that crop. As if farmers aren't treated poorly enough already in our country.
But they paid him for it, right? They can't throw away his crop without having paid him, so it didn't hurt him at all. What's the difference to him?

I think most places discourage employees from bringing spoiled/damaged foods home because of a. ligitousness and b. the fact that it would encourage employees to (they think) purposely damage stuff or leave it out in hopes of taking it home.

Mom to 5 wonderful kids (9, 6, 4, 2 and 0), 1 adopted through foster care.

#50 of 50 Old 01-11-2010, 07:43 PM

Me (27) DH (30)...9 Years

DD (7) ~ DD (4) ~ DS (3)

Praying our April 2013 baby sticks!! joy.gif

Babies in Heaven...angel.gif 9/04 angel.gif 2/05 angel.gif 3/11 angel.gif 4/11 angel.gif 6/11 angel.gif 11/11 angel.gif 2/12 (along with my tube greensad.gif )

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page