H&M and Wal-Mart destroy and trash unsold goods - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 50 Old 01-08-2010, 03:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/beaut...-goods-562909/

That was a really poor financial move on their part. And I know it happens everywhere.

This is NOT the time to have that kind of bad press.... they REALLY should have donated it and hyped it up. Now they have just pissed off more people.

So many people could have used that stuff, this year especially!

Resistance is futile Matey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 50 Old 01-08-2010, 03:31 PM

How sad that they do this!

Doula & Nanny,  Momma to Hope, my angel baby 6/17/08, and Momma to be- to a little boy, EDD 3.13.13

#3 of 50 Old 01-08-2010, 03:41 PM

What a waste!

#4 of 50 Old 01-08-2010, 04:03 PM

I think it may be regional... I know the WM where my grandmother lives donates to the food/clothing bank where she works on a regular basis. As much as I dislike WM, I have to give them that. They're always giving them stuff they can't sell, from open packages of TP and pads to unsold clothing and expiring food.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#5 of 50 Old 01-08-2010, 04:17 PM

From reading the comments after the article, it's pretty clear that this practice isn't remotely isolated to those 2 stores (and it seems like with Wal-mart it varies by store and region). Still though, what a terrible waste! I shudder to think just how much in the way of resources has been consumed by this - it literally makes me ill. Sigh.
#6 of 50 Old 01-08-2010, 04:22 PM

The Value Village (similar to Savers) in my town does the same thing. I think it's pretty disgusting that a thrift store participates in this too.

The Target I worked at in university always donated unsold stuff to a local thrift shop that helped underpriviledged youth in the area.

Mama to my 3 wild things.

#7 of 50 Old 01-08-2010, 04:29 PM

What really irks me is all this stuff was made in a sweatshop somewhere on the other side of the earth, then shipped here, put on the retail floor, marked way way way down over months and then tossed out. one of the millions of reasons I do not give my money to either of these stores plus many others of the same.

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#8 of 50 Old 01-08-2010, 05:36 PM

Due to the backlash H&M has promised to look into this and make efforts to make sure this does not happen in any of it's stores anymore.

My local Target donates to Goodwill. It's awesome.
#9 of 50 Old 01-08-2010, 05:41 PM

Reminds me of the food burning part in "Grapes of Wrath"
#10 of 50 Old 01-08-2010, 05:50 PM

I have heard of other stores doing this, not sure if it is company wide policy or just a local managerial decision. But a girl I met last spring that used to work at Victoria's Secret. She said her manager routinely made the employees (her included) cut up and destroy bra's, panties and other unsold/returned merchandise I get that this store is a speciality shop and sells its products for much more than WM. But why not donated these items to local womens shelters? I've met many women who left with only the clothes on their backs to go to shelter. The luxury of purchasing more bra's and underwear even from WM is the least of their concerns at that point. But when you are at such a low point, to be given a basic need like that and have it be pretty too, would be such a lift and no small thing to the recipient.

Like some of the PP's have mentioned, many of the products are sweatshop produced, and cost the retailer pennies on the dollar to produce and then it's sold at a mark up of hundreds of percent. How is it a bigger loss to give these items to a charity, shelter, Goodwill, Salvation Army than it is to destroy them? Simply disgusting IMO.
#11 of 50 Old 01-08-2010, 05:56 PM

Oh, man, I HATE that they do this! It is so wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetcheeks View Post
The Value Village (similar to Savers) in my town does the same thing. I think it's pretty disgusting that a thrift store participates in this too.
See, this I can understand a little more-- if you can't sell it a thrift store, I can see thinking that maybe it just isn't fit to be worn. Like, maybe NO one wants it. Now, I think it would still be good for shelters etc, but I think it's somewhat more understandable.

♥ blogger astrologer mom to three cool kiddos, and trying to figure out this divorce thing-- Blossom and Glow ♥

#12 of 50 Old 01-08-2010, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionTigerBear View Post
Oh, man, I HATE that they do this! It is so wrong.

See, this I can understand a little more-- if you can't sell it a thrift store, I can see thinking that maybe it just isn't fit to be worn. Like, maybe NO one wants it. Now, I think it would still be good for shelters etc, but I think it's somewhat more understandable.
It kinda does make more sense. But there should be other methods of dealing with even thrift store rejects aside from it ending up in a landfill. It could be sent back overseas to really impoverished areas. In many areas that are severely impoverished pretty much everything has a second, third and fourth life. I know it's still harsh environmentally cuz of the pollution associated with shipping. But seems like many things that even a thrift store shopper is unwilling to purchase would sure find purpose elsewhere.

Or better yet would be to find/create a local group that takes such items and repurposes them. Lots of places sell patchwork clothes that are repurposed or made to look like that. You could employ seamstresses, designers, repairmen for electronics, etc. and have an additional retail outlet that could support the organization that received these items through donation anyway.

I wish I had a winning powerball ticket. The things I would create <dreaming>
#13 of 50 Old 01-08-2010, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theia View Post
It kinda does make more sense. But there should be other methods of dealing with even thrift store rejects aside from it ending up in a landfill. It could be sent back overseas to really impoverished areas. In many areas that are severely impoverished pretty much everything has a second, third and fourth life. I know it's still harsh environmentally cuz of the pollution associated with shipping. But seems like many things that even a thrift store shopper is unwilling to purchase would sure find purpose elsewhere.

Or better yet would be to find/create a local group that takes such items and repurposes them. Lots of places sell patchwork clothes that are repurposed or made to look like that. You could employ seamstresses, designers, repairmen for electronics, etc. and have an additional retail outlet that could support the organization that received these items through donation anyway.

I wish you did, too! You have great ideas.

♥ blogger astrologer mom to three cool kiddos, and trying to figure out this divorce thing-- Blossom and Glow ♥

#14 of 50 Old 01-08-2010, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by not now View Post
Due to the backlash H&M has promised to look into this and make efforts to make sure this does not happen in any of it's stores anymore.

My local Target donates to Goodwill. It's awesome.
Where I live too.
#15 of 50 Old 01-08-2010, 09:47 PM

I used to work at Pottery Barn. There were certain items that had to be destroyed, but the store donated most things to a charity that helped people rebuild their lives after fires or disasters.

Some items, like returned towels that looked like they had been used, had to be returned. This was the store's policy to avoid donating something that could have been contaminated.

I also used to work at Banana Republic. There the employees were able to buy slightly damaged items for a huge discount, like 90% off. This mean the things weren't thrown away.

There is a lot of waste in retail. Things are broken or damaged. There is also a big issue with people buying things, using them and then returning them. Most of the things they had to throw away at PB were like that. I would say that in that circumstance, the person being wasteful and unethical is the customer.
#16 of 50 Old 01-08-2010, 10:37 PM

Quote:

My sister spent time in Colombia last fall and got involved helping some women who had escaped from human trafficing. She asked me to gather some women's and children's clothing and shoes to donate, and for my dad to send them down there. As wonderful of a gesture as it was, he paid over $150 for shipping, which probably would have bought plenty of new items in a third world country. Now if this happened on a grand scale, with a cargo ship full of items, maybe it could work. But we were pretty bummed with how it worked out on a small scale.

Katherine mother to DS 8/03 and DD1 9/06 and DD2 6/10
#17 of 50 Old 01-08-2010, 10:50 PM

Babies R Us does this too. A month before food expires, they throw it away, dump the formula, and ship the empty boxes, bags and cannisters to corporate.
#18 of 50 Old 01-09-2010, 12:54 AM

Quote:

One of the thrift stores back home would leave stuff on the racks for about 2 months if I recall correctly, and continue to mark it down during that time. If it didn't sell, it was sent to their "main" facility where the clothing was torn into strips and made into rugs and blankets for the homeless people and people who were in shelters (rugs obviously were for the shelters). Kids clothes however would be retagged and start the cycle again, simply because someone may not have needed something in a size 12 months 2 months prior but would next month type thing.
#19 of 50 Old 01-09-2010, 11:05 AM

Our local Panera bread used to have all kinds of day old baked goods in the dumpster behind their store. It would be overflowing on Sundays. Inside on the Panera literature they said the company policy was to donate to shelters. Yet ours threw it all away. I sent an email to corporate and I heard others did too. The dumping seems to have stopped.
#20 of 50 Old 01-09-2010, 11:17 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
ALL retail stores and food places do this. Restaurants, grocery stores, retail stores, etc. The Jewel here throws out untold amounts of food every day. Expired, or about to expire, etc.

Mom to two beautiful boys, now in school to be a therapist and help other women with PPD.  

#21 of 50 Old 01-09-2010, 11:34 AM

I work at Wal Mart and I'm not taking up for them but over the summer we refroze and held a BUNCH of skid fulls of food products and Feeding America would come sporadically(sp?) and sometimes not at all they were supposed to come every Wed. We do have extremely limited amount of freeser space so we had to quit dealing with them at our store at least. And since then I transferred to another store and they had the same problem in a different state. It's so sad what we throw away. I would take so much of it home if I could.
#22 of 50 Old 01-09-2010, 11:59 AM

Guess they don't realize that they may be able to take tax deductions if the donate the goods to charity. What a shame.
#23 of 50 Old 01-09-2010, 12:16 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Two thoughts...

What if the charities didn't have the room to take all this stuff? I mean, dh talked to our local Goodwill and they said from the time you drop something off until it hits the shelf is 1 year. That means they are already storing a huge amount of things.

I don't think it is as simple as saying just ship it off to some other third-world country. I read some time ago, I think on the Dharma Trading Co website, that it actually has negative impact on those societies because when they get a huge influx of all this stuff, the women whose livelihoods depend on selling their homemade clothing to those in their communities are basically put out of business because they can't compete with free. I've heard elsewhere that many of these communities are getting tired of our "charity" for the same reasons.

It is too bad that they went and put holes and such in it, but I think there are bigger issues to consider here.
#24 of 50 Old 01-09-2010, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitfulmomma View Post
Two thoughts...

What if the charities didn't have the room to take all this stuff? I mean, dh talked to our local Goodwill and they said from the time you drop something off until it hits the shelf is 1 year. That means they are already storing a huge amount of things.

I don't think it is as simple as saying just ship it off to some other third-world country. I read some time ago, I think on the Dharma Trading Co website, that it actually has negative impact on those societies because when they get a huge influx of all this stuff, the women whose livelihoods depend on selling their homemade clothing to those in their communities are basically put out of business because they can't compete with free. I've heard elsewhere that many of these communities are getting tired of our "charity" for the same reasons.

It is too bad that they went and put holes and such in it, but I think there are bigger issues to consider here.
Right. We need to stop PRODUCING so much stuff that we have to destroy it.

Birth Photographer mom to four blessings
#25 of 50 Old 01-09-2010, 02:47 PM

Anyone dumpster dive? I used to quite a bit, and was able to find clothes, food, home items, etc.

stillheart.gif = Pariah, Super Mom + The Amazing Wiggy (1/06)superhero.gifangel.gif  (6/08)  52 Projects: 0/52  Decluttering Challenge: 37/2013

#26 of 50 Old 01-09-2010, 04:49 PM

Yeah, I hate to tell you this but a lot of retailers do this.

As for expired food, I've heard it is illegal to donate that. I eat expired food all the time at home. I think it should be the choice of the person, not the govt deciding.
#27 of 50 Old 01-09-2010, 04:51 PM

Starbucks does the same thing. My Sil worked for them and told me about how they would take the coffee mugs and stuff and break them once they were done trying to sell them and then throw them away

Mindful Spirit Expo is on April 21 and 22nd. Raise your consciousness!

Intuitive Encounters business merger means discounts for a limited time.

#28 of 50 Old 01-09-2010, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jentilla View Post
Right. We need to stop PRODUCING so much stuff that we have to destroy it.

Trust me, retailers don't want to destroy anything. THat means they bought more than they could sell in a season. I was in allocations at a large retailer. We try to *time* everything perfectly so we would run out of winter gloves by January....summer shoes by midaugust etc. It is really high level math w/ lots of different ways to analyze etc. A large part of the price of any merchandise is shipping it in, paying the import duty etc, let alone the dollars it ties up...if you spent all your "open to buy" on a product no one wanted, then you have less money to spend on zhu zhu pets that were hot. We never wanted anything left over!! It hurt our bottom line and if you didn't do well at it, you would lose your job. One year we bet heavily on a certain item and it bombed. Everyone was depressed!

I've never worked anywhere that made enough money to throw product away. There were times we would mark down a product below cost bc it made the customer happy w/ us (think loss leaders at your grocery store) and increased sales in other areas, but throwing product away is different. What I mean is we threw product away, but we weren't non-chalant about it. Part of the problem is our product was easily returnable so if we donated it to a GOodwill, people would buy it for $2 and try to return it for $40 and then yell at us when we wouldn't take it back.

The solution is to stop buying so many things. We have a conumer economy, not producer...this is why there are so many more options for women's fashion than men's....women buy more clothes etc. Men own half the average pairs of shoes than women do etc.....the simple life movement is promising in that whole groups of people are examining what they really need.
#29 of 50 Old 01-09-2010, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitfulmomma View Post
Two thoughts...

I agree with you, that there are bigger issues. I agree that part of it is a issue of too much stuff being produced but let me say that as the director of a non-profit its not always easy to take stuff from places.

On the one hand it makes me mad/sad to read about such waste but logistically my agency had to stop taking certain donations because I did not have the staff to handle it. So while its easy to say give it away to the XYZ agency that agency may not have the staffing to handle such donations. My site manager for instance doesn't have a car and I personally do not always have the ability to drive all over the place picking up stuff so I generally say no unless a merchant is able to bring stuff to us and even then its a issue of do we have the space to store it?

I have worked at agencies as well that received donations of day old stuff from places like Starbucks and Panera and even that can be a PITA for small agencies to manage which is probably why so much ends up in the trash. There are a fair number of food pantries that are staffed by volunteers and sometimes it can be hard again to get folks to do the pickups and then trying to handle the distribution. I know with Panera they put everything in a big plastic bag and its hard to weed through stuff.

So while I don't want to make excuses for such waste, I think there is a lot more that articles like this don't get into.

Mothering since 1992...its one of the many hats I wear.
#30 of 50 Old 01-09-2010, 05:58 PM

Ughh, typical, it's funny, under law a corporation like walmart has the sames rights a person, yet no conscious. While it is known that most people throw out used or broken items, how many people do you know, that throw out New unused items? I wouldn't, for sure, if i had a box of unused items, i would give them to family (ie, walmarts poor underpaid workers), resell them (walmart, maybe you should open up an online amazon storefrount, (wait, most people don't even like walmarts clothes and won't buy them, so that may not work) or give them to the shelter, (ahemmm), but i would not throw a box of unused items in the trash bin! Even what are considered wasteful or selfish people would more than likely not be throwing new items in the trash. Oh well, what does walmart care, that stuff probably didn't cost them much to make and they get a tax write off i believe if they don't sell it, so who cares. Yet again, how is it that a corporation is equal to me? I am a rational thinking person with a conscious??? I still don't get it, that is one place our government has really let us down...

Rant over.

supermod.gif semi crunchy single student super mama to DS 7wave.gif and DD 3shy.gif. Falling in stillheart.gif with single super dad superhero.gif to DD5kissy.gif and DD2energy.gif 

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page