What do you spend on groceries. - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#91 of 95 Old 01-20-2010, 12:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I spend about $120/week for a family of 4 eating about 70% organic. A typical shopping list for me would be something like this:

A whole lot of fruits and veggies
2 lbs tofu
1 lb cheddar
1 lb butter (not every week)
Parmesan (not every week)
flour
1 doz eggs (we sometimes run out)
1 gallon milk
1 quart plain yogurt
wheat tortillas
probably a few other dairy or frozen items (eg, tempeh, ricotta, frozen spinach)
pasta
dry beans
oats (bulk)
nuts (bulk)
rice (bulk)
a few canned items, like diced tomatoes or tomato puree or olives
sometimes dry spices (bulk)
sometimes nut butter or jam
sometimes oil (some olive, some vegetable)
crackers
rice cakes
dried fruit (bulk)
1 bottle of wine (our grocery has many bottles under $6)

I make my own bread and we do supplement from the garden, but it's not a huge amount.

grateful mother to DD, 1/04, and DS, 2/08

#92 of 95 Old 01-20-2010, 12:50 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Now I KNOW my Jewel is really expensive. I went to Whole Foods yesterday and was struck by how CHEAP everything was! It was wonderful. I bet I can shop there for $200 or less a week! The only thing is, how do I get all the cold stuff home? It's nearly an hour away! Any suggestions? Would a cooler do it? Do I need a special one?

Mom to two beautiful boys, now in school to be a therapist and help other women with PPD.  

#93 of 95 Old 01-20-2010, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom0810 View Post
Now I KNOW my Jewel is really expensive. I went to Whole Foods yesterday and was struck by how CHEAP everything was! It was wonderful. I bet I can shop there for $200 or less a week! The only thing is, how do I get all the cold stuff home? It's nearly an hour away! Any suggestions? Would a cooler do it? Do I need a special one?
A cooler w/a bag of ice in it should work just fine! Good deal! Glad you found somewhere cheaper!

I just added up our grocery spending for the month, and we are WAY overspending! We are already at $875 for the MONTH! I am setting a limit of $500/month now and we'll see how we do. Some months it is just more costly, as we run out of stuff. I need to try to figure out a way to keep up w/it better.

Happy Homesteading Homeschooling Homebirthing Beekeeping Dready (& a bit redneck even) Mama to 4 fab kids :  dd (23), dd (13), ds (11), dd (5)

#94 of 95 Old 01-20-2010, 03:06 PM

Yes a big cooler with all the frozen stuff together & ice packs. I live 45 minutes from WF & TJ's so I've BTDT. Great that you found a cheaper place to shop!!!

Giving Love serves as a wonderful reminder that we already have an abundance of Love within, "it is in giving that we receive."
#95 of 95 Old 01-20-2010, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom0810 View Post
I am from Chicago though I haven't lived there in a few years and Jewel can be really expensive if memory serves me correctly. I used to live on the northside and occasionally would shop in the burbs and as long as I went right home, the food was fine unless it was the heart of summer. I would think your food would be fine if you shop in WI.

Mothering since 1992...its one of the many hats I wear.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page