Afraid to give up landline... - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

#31 of 41 Old 02-05-2010, 05:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
yes, I was thinking about the ooma - will have to find out where the closest costco is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 41 Old 02-05-2010, 05:53 PM

It is available other places, too, if Costco isn't convenient for you. Amazon has it, for example.

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

#33 of 41 Old 02-05-2010, 08:43 PM

Make sure you save your receipt.

My mom bought an ooma (per my recommendation, as I thought the MJ would just frustrate her) two weeks ago, spend 90 minutes on the phone with customer service (who told her ooma costs $10/mo) and ended up taking it back and buying an MJ, which works great. Go figure.

Trying to turn hearts and minds toward universal healthcare, one post at a time.
#34 of 41 Old 02-05-2010, 11:26 PM

You *can* choose to pay for premiere service, but it isn't required. The Ooma basic service (free) has more features than our landline phone did!

There are choices because not everyone is the same.

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

#35 of 41 Old 02-06-2010, 01:29 PM

Yep. Everybody's internet connection is different, too.

Trying to turn hearts and minds toward universal healthcare, one post at a time.
#36 of 41 Old 02-07-2010, 01:12 AM

I had never heard of an Ooma before. I'm totally looking into this! What a great thread

XOXO
B

mama to Milena Anjali (4/26/06) and Vincent Asher (4/13/09) ~ married to the love of my life since 2002.
#37 of 41 Old 02-07-2010, 02:01 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
My way of saving money on phone service and still have a cell for non-911 but "emergency mostly" use was to get a Net10 prepaid phone and keep landline service. The phone service was with my cable package and includes free unlimited long distance.

The cell phone I actually need to go online because I think they have a $15.mo plan that way, in store the minimum is $20 for 200 mins. and 30 days of service.

but my old cell phone plan, with 2 phones was about $70 a month. Even if we had a second phone with the prepaid thing I'm doing, it would be $30-$40. And it works for us, even though sometimes I end up having to buy a card to keep the phone *on*...the minutes stay and accumulate, though--so if I have a time where I use it more, like I'm out of town or something, it'll be OK and I most likely *won't* have to buy a higher-priced card with more minutes.

When I did have that cell plan, yeah I had unlimited nights after 7 and weekends....*but* other than weekends, most of my weekday calling is actually between probably 4 and 6 PM....strange I know but true.

Anyway once I realized it made no sense to keep unlimited nights and weekends and pay for this house phone plan, I cut to the cheaper pre-paid cell plan. It wasn't an uncommon occurence to go over my 'day minutes' with the shared phones and the cell plan.
This way there *are* no limits to go over and it's a lot cheaper than the unlimited cell phone plans.

And I have 3 kids, when I go someplace with all of them, I need to focus on THEM anyway not also be trying to have random conversations. I do carry it in case of emergency and necessity but my cell phone habits have changed drastically since I switched, and it is *better.*

lovin DH since 1/04, best mom for my 3 boys 10/04, 11/08, 11/10 one girlie (1/07), one 13 wk (10/13) and 5/15 just your average multigenerational living family!!
#38 of 41 Old 02-07-2010, 11:50 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
more reasons to keep your landline:

1. with this snow storm, my ILs lost power and their cell-phone batteries died. with no landline service, they can only call 911. before their cell phones died, they were able to call my husband to complain about it (and tell us about using their gas stove to try to heat their house ). husband confirmed to me today that they had gotten rid of their landline phone and they are unreachable now. we have no idea if they're OK.

2. depending on where you live, terrorist attacks or natural disaster. in an emergency like that, cell phone circuits can become overwhelmed. a landline phone to call out-of-area relatives to check in would be very important.
#39 of 41 Old 02-07-2010, 02:15 PM

I must say the land line is more reliable than the cell, especially if you have to make emergency calls.

Worlds Best Mom
#40 of 41 Old 03-27-2010, 12:31 PM

Dredging up this old thread while searching for ooma. That system sounds very appealing.

How do they bill you for the occasional international call?
#41 of 41 Old 03-28-2010, 02:38 PM

We've never made an international call with our Ooma, so I don't know. I looked on "my Ooma" for you and didn't see an answer. I look at "my Ooma" once a week anyway to see our call logs (building a contact list the easy way) and make sure we didn't miss a voicemail.

There are more extensive Q&As elsewhere on the ooma site, so you might wish to search on there.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page