Surviving as a Full Time student Tribe? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 162 Old 04-09-2010, 11:31 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I got a full tuition scholarship!!!! I am quite sure that I will be receiving a full pell grant and the Utah State's grant ($1000/yr I think). I applied for one more need-based scholarship but have not heard either way, yet.

We are waiting for DH to get his GRE test scores in the mail and we'll know if he made it into Grad School.

stillheart.gif The Hippie & the Marine stillheart.gif  hh2.gif
My boys: S (4) & O (2) & Expecting #3 in Dec. 2011

#62 of 162 Old 04-09-2010, 02:28 PM

My dh has not gotten an award letter yet. I am a little nervous because the finaid office is very unorganized. We have also missed the boat because we began researching scholarships after many of the deadlines have passed.
#63 of 162 Old 04-09-2010, 08:02 PM

Woohooo scholarships!!!!!

everyone else!!!!

Resistance is futile Matey
#64 of 162 Old 04-14-2010, 02:44 PM

I wanted to share that my dh's school has a organization called The Center for Working Families attatched to the school. I think there are several of these centers throughout the country, but they are not necessarily on school campuses. My dh went to check it out. They submitted a credit report for him and will help us with different services while dh is enrolled.

One really great thing is that they offer a financial fitness class which can qualify you for an IDA as long as he does it while he is a student. We do not own a home so we are going to go through the course so we can be prepared when dh gets his dream job.

I thought this info might help someone else out.
#65 of 162 Old 04-14-2010, 05:37 PM

I got my award notice for summer aid today- I'm actually getting a grant ! Usually i just get offered loans so i was super excited! Dh is not taking classes this summer because he needs a break and i'm taking chem2 w/ lab

E Veg*n Mom to ds 6 : dd 3
#66 of 162 Old 04-15-2010, 06:20 AM

I started a work study today. I'd been waiting for the school counselor to give me hours and a schedule for a couple weeks, but today I finally got to work. I worked at the library at my son's school too- it was nice seeing part of where he is at all day.

Saamy Student mama to  superhero.gifand hearts.gifand babyf.gif

#67 of 162 Old 04-28-2010, 01:51 PM

What are some good online sources for affordable textbooks??
I have not been keeping track of where I purchase books and then when it is time to order I cannot remember my sources.

Thanks.
#68 of 162 Old 04-28-2010, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessaroo View Post
What are some good online sources for affordable textbooks??
I have not been keeping track of where I purchase books and then when it is time to order I cannot remember my sources.

Thanks.
You can always check craigslist locally. If you're taking an online class, I really like coursesmart.com for online text books.

#69 of 162 Old 06-08-2010, 10:22 PM

My husband is begins a nursing program this summer. He is required to carry insurance. His school does not provide insurance. I am just beginning a job this week and will not have insurance yet. We found a local program to cover him, but we have too much in savings to qualify. Does anyone know if family medicaid would cover a dad or any other programs for students who must carry insurance?

We are a little stressed about this.
#70 of 162 Old 09-02-2010, 03:24 AM

Bumping.

I *may* try going back to school for the spring semester. Trying to decide if it's worth it here where we are... because there is a really good chance we would move again soon.

If you wanted to take advantage of all the "first time" fin aid would you try to get in spring to start out (with this years FASFA) or wait for the "new" FASFA year and apply in January fresh for everything (meaning all the scholarships I have missed deadlines for)?

#71 of 162 Old 09-02-2010, 03:30 AM

I xp in "student moms" also: http://www.mothering.com/discussions....php?t=1258664

In a longer rambling way. Maybe I need a nap?

#72 of 162 Old 09-02-2010, 03:31 AM

Oh and school started so how is everyone doing so far?

#73 of 162 Old 09-02-2010, 02:34 PM

I would look at your reasons for starting in the spring especially if you need aid. A lot of the aid will be gone.
#74 of 162 Old 09-02-2010, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thystle View Post
Oh and school started so how is everyone doing so far?

So far so good, for me. It's my first week in, and I think I can handle it (crossing fingers!)

I would probably wait til the fall if you are wanting your max aid. But you could probably still get a small amount of aid for spring if you just want to knock a few classes out of the way.

#75 of 162 Old 09-03-2010, 04:25 PM

Planning ahead... DH is applying to programs to go back to school and we'd end up living pretty much on his stipend (I SAH so we're currently living on his income, which is enough but doesn't leave much "extra"). We're a family of 5 and it's not likely that I'd be able to find a job that would make the cost of childcare worth it (though I'll certainly be looking). It looks like the standard stipend is 23-24k and includes health insurance for DH with the option to buy additional insurance for the kiddos/myself. I'll be researching COL in the various places DH gets in (I'm just going to assume he'll get in somewhere ) and grabbing every idea this thread has to offer!

I have a year to plan!

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#76 of 162 Old 09-04-2010, 03:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombatclay View Post
Planning ahead... DH is applying to programs to go back to school and we'd end up living pretty much on his stipend (I SAH so we're currently living on his income, which is enough but doesn't leave much "extra"). We're a family of 5 and it's not likely that I'd be able to find a job that would make the cost of childcare worth it (though I'll certainly be looking). It looks like the standard stipend is 23-24k and includes health insurance for DH with the option to buy additional insurance for the kiddos/myself. I'll be researching COL in the various places DH gets in (I'm just going to assume he'll get in somewhere ) and grabbing every idea this thread has to offer!

I have a year to plan!

Good luck!!!!! Would you actually qualify for family student housing too at all?

#77 of 162 Old 09-04-2010, 10:48 AM

Quote:

I have a year to plan!
You will definitely qualify for WIC if your kids are young enough, and might qualify for medicaid and food stamps for the kids. Also, Thystle brought up a good point about family student housing. They let graduate students in family housing and it is usually less expensive than the area's COL houses and apartments.

#78 of 162 Old 09-04-2010, 11:32 AM

I'm not sure, since we're "planning ahead" and don't have a specific school lined up yet. I know at Cornell the family housing is limited to families with no more than two children (we lived in grad student/family housing there for two years and the lease was very clear that a third child would void the housing contract) so with three kiddos that's something I'd have to explore... also a few of the programs we've looked at have specifically mentioned that there is no housing dedicated to the program.

This could be due to the types of programs though? DH is looking at PhD programs in molecular biology... his MA in molecular bio/genetics is from Cornell and he's been working in that field for five years now with the hopes of being able to take advantage of the employee degree program but it's become clear that that isn't going to happen. (you need your boss to sign off on the employee degree program, and given all the budget cuts and the fact that DH already works 50-60 hrs/week his boss isn't inclined to sign off on anything that would take up any of Dh's time... for five years he has said "next year" but he finally said "not gonna happen" ). Anyway, the programs seem to be mostly urban and associated with medical facilities. I think right now he is focused on programs in the Philadelphia area (where we have family/friends) and in Buffalo (too far from our current home to commute, but we have lots of family/friends across upstate NY).

Assuming DH applies now and is accepted for the Fall 2011 school year the kiddos would be 6, 4, and 2... so WIC would be a mixed bag (we had WIC for a while right after dd1 was born and I think the cap is still 5 years of age?). I'll look into the food stamp and medical options as well!

mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#79 of 162 Old 09-04-2010, 12:09 PM

I would look for programs in a low COL area first. Too bad my university doesn't have that phd program.. it's super low COL here! And look on the college website to see what housing options they have for a family your size. Some have it, some don't.

The cut off age for WIC is 5, so your younger kids would qualify

#80 of 162 Old 09-04-2010, 06:24 PM

Thanks! I'm totally into making lists and checking twice.

Since DH has had several years in this field, he has had a chance to see what "really counts" in terms of who is successful. It's not the degree itself that is critical factor, but rather the specific lead investigator you work with and the specific research you participate in. Because of his own research interests/vitae and because we need to have a decently paying position after he graduates, there are a specific set of labs he is considering. If he doesn't get into one of those labs then he wont leave his FT job since it wouldn't make sense... while another program might result in the same degree, it wouldn't open the same career doors and so wouldn't be worth the cost/sacrifice.

So while COL, housing, educational options for the kiddos, etc is a big deal for me (and will be part of the decision), they aren't really factors in terms of where the labs doing the research DH is qualified for are. If that makes sense? I'm having trouble figuring out how to describe the situation, and the kiddos are NOT helping me form coherent sentences right now. But basically, if he is accepted by two programs, then things like COL would be important in choosing between them, but at this stage it's a question of applying to specific labs that would give him the experience he needs to make the 4-5 years worth the investment.

But I'm guessing that even in a low COL region I'll need every trick this thread (and this forum) has to offer!

#81 of 162 Old 09-05-2010, 03:48 AM

OK can you make a list/chart/graph of all the "right" lab/schools and if they offer family housing or not... and any other "pluses" or "negatives" and then look at it on paper and see what pops out at you?

#82 of 162 Old 09-07-2010, 04:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessaroo View Post
I would look at your reasons for starting in the spring especially if you need aid. A lot of the aid will be gone.

Are the PELL grants based on what time of year you apply like scholarships?

Oh and for those who do not know... see if your school has a "
TRiO STUDENT SUPPORT SERVICES" program. It offers alot of help for low income students.

#83 of 162 Old 09-07-2010, 04:09 AM

If you are a low income, female student, age 35 and older here is a scholarship I ran across tonight: http://www.rankinfoundation.org/

Maybe it will be useful to someone on here.

#84 of 162 Old 09-07-2010, 04:26 AM

Ooh and some interesting SM scholarships I had not seen before: http://www.thesalliemaefund.org/smfn...nmet_need.html

Hmm wait... they say closed. Hmm I wonder if they are going to reopen???

#85 of 162 Old 09-07-2010, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thystle View Post
If you are a low income, female student, age 35 and older here is a scholarship I ran across tonight: http://www.rankinfoundation.org/

Maybe it will be useful to someone on here.
Very cool! It's limited by degree type and school too, but if you're in the planning/dreaming stage it's an amazing opportunity.

#86 of 162 Old 09-07-2010, 06:06 PM

Oh man I wish I could find some scholorships for next semester! Right now I only get pell, and max student loans. I do childcare from home to fill in what school excess doesn't cover...i would love to have more money lol!

Single mom to 2 boys
#87 of 162 Old 09-07-2010, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by surrogate View Post
Oh man I wish I could find some scholorships for next semester! Right now I only get pell, and max student loans. I do childcare from home to fill in what school excess doesn't cover...i would love to have more money lol!

Check with the school and search on:

http://www.fastweb.com/

http://apps.collegeboard.com/cbsearch_ss/welcome.jsp

I am sure others on here have more places to search!

#88 of 162 Old 09-07-2010, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Very cool! It's limited by degree type and school too, but if you're in the planning/dreaming stage it's an amazing opportunity.

This is what I saw:

Eligibility Requirements
An applicant for a JRF scholarship must be:

•A woman, age 35 or older.
•A U.S. citizen.
•Enrolled in, or accepted to, a regionally or ACICS accredited school.
•Pursuing a technical or vocational education, an associate's degree, or a first bachelor's degree.
•Low-income

So I figured it would help someone.

#89 of 162 Old 09-07-2010, 08:58 PM

Thanks Thystle. My school (WGU) only has a handful of scholarships and grants, and I didn't qualify for any of them I am changing my major next term to teaching so i will qualify for the TEACH grant at least....that will help some...

Single mom to 2 boys
#90 of 162 Old 09-08-2010, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by surrogate View Post
Thanks Thystle. My school (WGU) only has a handful of scholarships and grants, and I didn't qualify for any of them I am changing my major next term to teaching so i will qualify for the TEACH grant at least....that will help some...
Hopefully you can find at least one not through your school to help. Good luck!!!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page