Surviving as a Full Time student Tribe? - Page 5 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#121 of 162 Old 11-17-2010, 04:10 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Joining in.

Dh is a full time student and works full time. He is on his third year.

We are okay financially so far- no food stamps and this is the first year dh has had to take out a loan- but not a lot of money for extras.

Dh takes a packed lunch to work and packed food one night a week- lots of leftovers. I've also been looking at bento ideas for packable meals.

I think the biggest problem is time and stress.  I'm proud of him and want to be supportive but I feel very alone some days. Some days I want to say quit already. I know it is hard on him to have so many demands on his time so I try not to add to that.

Kim ~mom to one awesome dd (12)

#122 of 162 Old 11-17-2010, 05:56 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

You can also get goat's milk from WIC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabbyraja View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunanthem View Post

gabyraja~ if your kids have dairy allergies could you not get soy milk or tofu instead? WIC's new changes will allow that.

has anyone rented textbooks and can recommend a good site?

I'm telling you mamas, work-study's are great! With my work study I can squeeze in a couple of hours a week, or more if I can manage, and it's great getting that little check when I do. wink1.gif

Oh, I didn't know that! But, unfortunately they are allergic to soy, too. greensad.gif

breastfeeding, babywearing, homeschooling Heathen parent to my little Wanderer, 7 1/2 , and baby Elf-stone, 3/11!

#123 of 162 Old 11-17-2010, 01:31 PM

I am subbing, because I hope to join you all soon. I am a newly single mom, with about 30 credits of gen ed classes. I'd really like to go back to school full time, but I don't think I could handle my current work load (20-28 hours a week) while going to school full time AND being a solo mom.

A question about work study...I am a nanny, and can make about $15/hour in my area (and take my daughter!) The work study jobs on my college's website say they pay $10.83/hour. If I can find a REALLY part time nanny job (say, 10 hours a week) wouldn't it be better to work that and make more? Or is there some hidden advantage to work study that I don't know about?

Single mama to S ~ 6/09

#124 of 162 Old 11-17-2010, 04:32 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihugtrees View Post

I am subbing, because I hope to join you all soon. I am a newly single mom, with about 30 credits of gen ed classes. I'd really like to go back to school full time, but I don't think I could handle my current work load (20-28 hours a week) while going to school full time AND being a solo mom.

A question about work study...I am a nanny, and can make about $15/hour in my area (and take my daughter!) The work study jobs on my college's website say they pay $10.83/hour. If I can find a REALLY part time nanny job (say, 10 hours a week) wouldn't it be better to work that and make more? Or is there some hidden advantage to work study that I don't know about?

Nope, no hidden advantage other than the college student earns some money and the college saves some money by getting work down cheap!  There might be an occasional advantage if you work in a good department and they are willing to give you an interesting project or you make some career connections, but for the most part students do grunt work.  I think graduate student assistantships are different, though.  They carry a prestige with them. 

#125 of 162 Old 11-17-2010, 09:17 PM

In some states work study can qualify you for food stamps when being a student does not.

Resistance is futile Matey
#126 of 162 Old 11-18-2010, 07:04 PM

Hello-

I am in NM and trying to learn more about childcare assistance.  We meet the income guidlines.  We really need care 2 days a week.  One of these days is a full study day for my dh while I work.  I have left messages with CYFD and no one has returned my calls.  Does anyone know if childcare assistance covers study time or just scheduled classes?

Thanks.

#127 of 162 Old 11-23-2010, 08:40 PM

Well, yes, they don't pay much for work study, but the good part is, you don't need to work the same amount of hours as a part time job. My work study is with America Reads, and I get to go to the local public elementary and help out, I don't work at my college. I asked them if I could work at my son's school, and they said sure. So part of the time I 'work' which the school calls volunteering, I am really just at his school, helping out with the book fair, visiting his class, watching his school play practice, etc.. all while getting paid. And the hours thing.. you can have a work study and work only 1 hour a week up to 19 hours a week, and you make your schedule, which is great for students who have wacky things like classes that end at 10am and start again at 1pm...

Also, I am at community college right now, getting my AA, but transferring to a university next year for my BA, and putting my America Reads work study that I've done for 2 years now will look good on my universtiy applications.

Saamy Student mama to  superhero.gifand hearts.gifand babyf.gif

#128 of 162 Old 11-24-2010, 11:50 AM

I had work study and then campus student employment during my 10 years of college. The advantages for me were that they were flexible with my class schedule. All of the jobs that I had on campus if there was nothing for me to do there that day I would sit at my desk and do homework or study for tests. I loved that I could go work for an hour or two on my breaks between classes too. It helped a lot when I was in Undergrad and commuting 74.5 miles each way daily.

Amy

#129 of 162 Old 12-18-2010, 02:17 PM

I started back to school this fall after taking a twelve year hiatus. I was a full time student and worked part time. Our finances are terribly stressful. Winter semester I'm going back full time with a heavy class load and I will only be able to work on the weekends. We will definately be applying for food stamps. I really underestimated how difficult it was going to be to balance school, family and work but I guess i'm not doing that badly. I rocked out this past semester with a 3.7 gpa. Yay! Now if only I had a money tree..........

There are three things I learned about life. It goes on. -Longfellow

stillheart.gifRIP DH DJ Delicious but mucho gracias for our children and all I have learnedstillheart.gif

#130 of 162 Old 12-20-2010, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessaroo View Post

Hello-

I am in NM and trying to learn more about childcare assistance.  We meet the income guidlines.  We really need care 2 days a week.  One of these days is a full study day for my dh while I work.  I have left messages with CYFD and no one has returned my calls.  Does anyone know if childcare assistance covers study time or just scheduled classes?

Thanks.

It varies by state, but in our state, you can. If you're approved for childcare subsidies, then you're given an amount you have to pay per day. You work out the days/week with your childcare provider.

It's us: DH , DS ; DD ; and me . Also there's the . And the 3 . I . Oh, and .
#131 of 162 Old 12-21-2010, 02:42 PM

Joining in here...I just finished my first semester back at school full-time and while we anticipated finances would be tight I didn't realize they'd squeak!

Things that I'm doing...applied and accepted all federal student aid, applhing for work-study on-campus position within the department I'm studying in, applying for scholarships, joining vocational organizations in order to qualify for scholarships, joined a student parent organization that holds family friendly activities on campus and provides tickets for family friendly events, also joined an un-traditional group on campus that offers free lunch each month.

I utilize our "student accounts" and put money on my student ID card and then use that for purchases (they're discounted when paid by student ID).

I also make meals ahead and buy meat in bulk to freeze. Then I make meals ahead of time, specifically those that can be frozen or re-heated easily.

Summer: crafty mama to 2 little girls and wife to Bob
#132 of 162 Old 12-22-2010, 03:46 AM

Whew, survived another semester.   I wanted to tell something that happened regarding my books.  Maybe it will be helpful.  I bought on e of my textbooks on amazon new with free shipping from the free Amazon prime for students.  I used it all semester as  usual and then when class was over I listed it.  I sold it in less than a week for only $20 less than I bought it for.  That turned out to be less than my rental books.  I saved the packaging from the original shipment from Amazon and used it to ship the book so I didn't even need to buy any shipping materials.  (If you order books one at a time from Amazon, they usually come in an easily reusable cardboard sleeve.  I open it carefully so as to resuse).  I rented a few books this past semester, but I think I would have been better off by buying used or new and then reselling. 

#133 of 162 Old 12-22-2010, 10:58 AM

I've always bought used and resold. You shell out on the initial purchase, then they pay for the next term's books for the most part.

FAs, co-sleeping, babywearing, extended nursing, positive parenting, homeschooler

#134 of 162 Old 12-22-2010, 01:22 PM

we are in ABQ, NM and I have not heard back from CYFD either.  I worked for early headstart years ago and the care was only for work or class time.  I aslo know that they have made major cuts to the care.

#135 of 162 Old 01-01-2011, 09:49 PM

How did the semester go for everyone?

#136 of 162 Old 01-02-2011, 09:05 AM

Thystle we are in ALL the same places! :) 

I got a letter from the dean congratulating me on my perfect 4.0 GPA this, my first semester back in school in 6 yrs. I wonder what the form letter would have said if they'd known that I started the classes in my last month of pregnancy and managed to maintain that GPA through colic with my 5th baby in 9 years?

FAs, co-sleeping, babywearing, extended nursing, positive parenting, homeschooler

#137 of 162 Old 01-02-2011, 01:59 PM

I know its really funny!!!   LOL

Wooohoo on the GPA! You go girl!!!!!  :)

#138 of 162 Old 01-02-2011, 04:58 PM

I know! Best grades I've ever had, and they were 4 credit junior level classes, not blow-offs or anything. Thing is, I've whole-heartedly decided I do not want to be a teacher, thanks to those classes. Now I'm exploring massage, lol. However, I cannot do the massage classes online from my local community college like I can many of the teaching classes. They do have one of the best massage programs in the state, though, so I feel good about going there in the fall, when I feel ok about leaving my kids and new baby for any period of time.

Only, now I have a dilemma. All about funds:

1. I can do massage. However, I only have about 1 year of student loan left. I already have a bachelor's degree, and almost 40Gs in student loan debt. So I'm going to hit my limit. I don't think I can get it all done in that amount of time/money, so I'll be paying for the remaining classes out of pocket... However, I think my previous loans were from bank-type places, certainly not the dept of ed, so do they count toward that limit? I'm so confused...

2. I am even more interested in nutrition. Only, I'm not at all interested in learning the Dept of Agriculture's idea of nutrition. I want a WAP-style nutrition education. I've found a few places where I can do this sort of classes, but none are accredited, and they have to be accredited to get dept of ed loans, right? I'm not interested in personal loans from private institutions (banks) for school.

3. I could scrap both ideas and do a child development masters 100% online from Eastern Michigan University. I'm not sure what I'd do with it, but I could get fin aid for it and it would be interesting subject matter for me... And the loans have a much higher limit once you get into graduate work, so my family could survive while I figure out what I want to do when I grow up.

So, what do I do? Argh, decisions, decisions.

#139 of 162 Old 01-03-2011, 02:26 PM

I earned all As in my 6 classes.  This past semester really challenged me and kicked my butt!  I'm hoping the upcoming semester will be a little easier but I'm not counting on it. 

student/sahm to three awesome girls who are always on the go!
#140 of 162 Old 01-16-2011, 01:17 PM

I got a 3.7 this past semester. I aimed for the dean's list during the fall and now with my hell load I'm aiming just to pass. Seriously a tremendous load. Food stamp city once I get all my ducks in a row. We have a rental property as extra income and one apartment is all drama. Someone is growing pot in the basement (he has a legit growers card which we are fine with) but the others can't handle it....blah, blah, blah. Goodness Gracious. Calgon take me away.

There are three things I learned about life. It goes on. -Longfellow

stillheart.gifRIP DH DJ Delicious but mucho gracias for our children and all I have learnedstillheart.gif

#141 of 162 Old 01-16-2011, 05:50 PM

3.86 GPA for grad school.  I made the political science honor society!  Very tough semester.  Only need 9 more credits after the spring semester!  I think I need to start job searching towards the end of this semester.  I figure it could easily take a year to land a job.  And if I will only have one class in the fall plus working on my thesis and only the thesis for the spring.  I love school but I will be glad to be done and back to regular life (although a full-time job I haven't had in many years...)  Also hoping for some work as an adjunct once I graduate. 

#142 of 162 Old 09-08-2011, 10:25 PM

How has the year treated everyone?

It ended up being my hubby that went back to school again and not me.

#143 of 162 Old 09-17-2011, 02:06 AM

Bump.

Did we lose everyone?????

#144 of 162 Old 09-17-2011, 01:45 PM

I haven't been on this tread FOREVER!

I am not full time this year.. I am due with baby #3 finals week!!! I'll be going back to FT for the 12-13 school year, and that should be my last one (I started Fall 07!!!).

Even though I am only taking 2 classes, they are kicking my butt!!!

stillheart.gif The Hippie & the Marine stillheart.gif  hh2.gif
My boys: S (4) & O (2) & Expecting #3 in Dec. 2011

#145 of 162 Old 09-17-2011, 02:09 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I'll join. My DH just returned to school FT. He also works FT. He takes 2 classes a term, which is every 8 weeks. He has his Associate's Degree in Software Programming and is currently going for a BS in Business with a minor in Computer Information Systems. I have a BS in Human Services and plan at some point to return to school for my MFA in Poetry, with hopes of eventually instructing at college level. I'm currently home with the children. Our 2 sons are 19 months and 2 weeks old. We're learning how to juggle the various responsibilities.  I thought it would be nice to connect with some others. :-) 

#146 of 162 Old 09-17-2011, 04:41 PM

I am still around.  Got appointed as the grad assistant for my department, so free tuition and a small stipend.  Very nice.  But a whole lot of work and a tighter budget because I had to give up my part-time job to take this one.   In the end it is worth more money but it is less cash.  Still, I am having a good time.   I get to hang out with the professors and they are very nice and supportive.

#147 of 162 Old 09-18-2011, 07:36 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Silly question: what does a grad assistant do? I"m asking because I'm interested in going to grad school within 2-4 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmsMom View Post

I am still around.  Got appointed as the grad assistant for my department, so free tuition and a small stipend.  Very nice.  But a whole lot of work and a tighter budget because I had to give up my part-time job to take this one.   In the end it is worth more money but it is less cash.  Still, I am having a good time.   I get to hang out with the professors and they are very nice and supportive.

#148 of 162 Old 09-18-2011, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoetryLover View Post

Silly question: what does a grad assistant do? I"m asking because I'm interested in going to grad school within 2-4 years.

At my school, the grad assistants usually work in the department they are getting the masters in, although I was offered another assistantship in another department as well.  So the work would vary depending on the department.  I am doing research regarding other schools programs right now and I will be attending graduate open houses to assist with recruitment and that type of thing and I will be organizing a conference, setting up the speakers and that kind of thing.  My supervisor also plans to have me help with some research he is doing on e-governance, which is the coolest part.  Best part about it (besides the free tuition) is the connections with the professors and other members of the university AND it is considered a "professional" position which will help me transition from secretarial type work (which I am overqualified for at this point but put me through school) to a professional type position.  At some universities, the grad assistants work as lab assistants and that type of stuff.  I know some also teach, but I think that is more common with PhD programs.  If you want to compete for this type of thing, you have to have top grades and it never hurts to really impress your professors with your dedication...   I have hurt that in some schools, grad assts are virtual slaves, but that is not my experience.  I am generally treated as a colleague but my department is small and very cool..

#149 of 162 Old 10-10-2011, 02:46 PM

We're still around and still in school. I ended up going for the massage program, and will continue until the money runs out. I will learn tons to help family and friends, and possibly even future clients. Then I will attend the University of Bridgeport for a Masters in Nutrition.  I'm still only going half time to be home with the kids, but dh is full time. He'll be finishing his Associates next year, then on to a Bachelors in a related area. We've doubled his income through grants and loans, so even with 5 kids and a low-mid wage job we're still doing ok. Not quite "comfortable", but not stressed and fearful all of the time like we were before.

#150 of 162 Old 10-19-2011, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunanthem View Post

gabyraja~ if your kids have dairy allergies could you not get soy milk or tofu instead? WIC's new changes will allow that.

has anyone rented textbooks and can recommend a good site?

I'm telling you mamas, work-study's are great! With my work study I can squeeze in a couple of hours a week, or more if I can manage, and it's great getting that little check when I do. wink1.gif

I know this was an old post but I wanted to share. I have used Chegg and had a really good experience with them. But most recently I used Bookrenter.com and they are absolutely horrible. Without getting into a long boring story it came down to that I couldn't log on to an account to print the return label. I was told to just send it back in the box it came in to the address listed. Well I sent it back and now being told they never received it. And despite doing what they said it's my responsibility. Period. So I'd recommend to everyone to stay far far away from them.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page