Surviving as a Full Time student Tribe? - Page 6 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#151 of 162 Old 10-22-2011, 01:51 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We looked through all the "cheap" places online for new/used books and Amazon ended up being cheapest for hubby's school books this last semester. We will see if that keeps happening or not. Maybe we can just endlessly send them back for credits. LOL

I know alot of people do like that Chegg though!  :)

And can I say how ANNOYING it is that all the math classes require you to buy a key code from the school? irked.gif  It wasn't like that the first time hubby went to school!

Resistance is futile Matey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#152 of 162 Old 10-22-2011, 03:36 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

You do better if you sell them outright on Amazon rather than trying to get credit.  For the most part I buy books used on Amazon, use them all semester and resell them on Amazon at the end.  Sometimes it works out to about a $10 rental for the semester.  I am in a field where the books don't turnover all that fast, though. Just for the record, I was working in the university last week when a guy with a back pack on came by asking for review copies of books that were no longer needed "for recycling". I laughed and said I recycle books too and then I asked him a couple of questions.  He just goes through the halls asking for books and professors give them to him.  Obviously he resells them.  I have resold books from the 'free' table as well. There have been months I have picked up a nice chunk of change that way.  Students should keep their eyes open for these opportunities. I am thihking about asking my fellow students for unwanted books at the end of the semester as well.

#153 of 162 Old 11-09-2011, 11:18 PM

I am super excited to say that my husband graduates in 1 month!!!  We got through this with a lot of pre planning.  He had 2 years of prerequisites to complete which gave us time to save as much as possible.  He took 1 prerequisite a term while working full time.  When he began school I got a job working 32 hours a week at a low wage as our only income.  We took the 2 years to tweak our lifestyle so that it was not so drastic when our income was so small.  Due to child care assitance not covering care for study time I worked the 32 hours because we rely on family to help 2 days a week and there is no money to pay for child care.  I earned so little that I was able to defer my student loan for 1 year.

Comcast had a new program for low income families which provides low cost internet service.  I am unsure of the name of the program right now, but you could try to google it. 

My husband takes lunches to school.  One thing that has helped is the local bread outlet.  We get decent bread for 1$ a loaf or less and make the trip once and buy enough to stock the freezer.  The thermos and to go coffee cup are helpful.  We got some instant coffee for the long days away.  He will take his cup and just get hot water at a coffee shop or school kitchen. 

I also diligently scoured the web for the best textbook prices and my husband is keeping the books in good condition to be able to sell all of them as a package deal to an incoming student. 

Don't forget to ask about student discounts for various things.  A lot of times students can get free bus passes. 

Good luck everyone.  It is totally scary yet totally possible.

#154 of 162 Old 11-10-2011, 11:47 AM

Congrats to you and dh!

I don't know of a comcast deal for adult students, but here's the one for families with kids that qualify for free school lunches. http://www.internetessentials.com/

FAs, co-sleeping, babywearing, extended nursing, positive parenting, homeschooler

#155 of 162 Old 11-13-2011, 05:54 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

Currently  full-time student, but I graduate in May.  Working as a graduate assistant until June.  My last year of masters program was free and with a stipend.  I am a single mom.  But now I am considering the PhD.  I think the odds are excellent that I would get some kind of assistantship, perhaps with a decent stipend.  I pick up extra work here there doing research and as my statistical analysis skills strengthen, that should increase.  I also can work as a tutor, have already done that.  Probably once I am in a PhD program I can get work as an adjunct.  Probably can even do that now.  Family housing on campus is about the same price for a larger place than I am in now (and without the mice and lack of heat that this dive has!).  We could live in a great small city with cultural events and a short train ride into NYC.  But I would see them less because they would need to stay where their school is so with their day when school is in session.  Am I crazy for even thinking this?  Can we survive?  Do my wants even count?  They are not little kids, they are 13 and 8, a year old by the time I would start, or even two years older.  Can probably finish my course work in two years.  Do people really do this?  I want it so much...

#156 of 162 Old 11-13-2011, 09:47 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

How did I miss this thread before?

I finished my AA at the community college in May, have been working on my BA in English (1st semester junior status) full time since August.  I also have a 4 hour daily commute to the university.  dizzy.gif  I have not been able to keep up with the housework at all, with the exception of daily dishes, the bare minimum laundry, and food prep.  I am feeling overwhelmed, to say the least.

I'm also looking at the job market around me and realizing my prospects would be better with a Masters degree, but I am so ready to be finished with school!  greensad.gif  It has been difficult for my poor family.

Mama to Munchkin  and Chickadee ...and co-parent to 3 additional bundles of energy!
#157 of 162 Old 12-05-2011, 01:36 AM

Well hubby passed his classes.  thumb.gif

How did or does it appear you all did for Fall semester? I think most people should be done by next week.

#158 of 162 Old 12-06-2011, 12:07 PM

Books: If I can't find it to buy cheaper on Amazon, I use CampusBookRentals.com (If you use that link it goes to credit me towards referrals). I've had nothing but positive experiences with them, and have never had any problems. I've used them for 3 semesters now. 

Thystle: YAY for you're hubby passing!!!  

As for me.. I am currently 39.5 weeks pregnant and finishing up my semester. I only took 2 classes this semester, but one of them was very intense. I have 2 final exams next week, but they are due online so I can work from home. And I am almost done with a research paper (group project) that is due this Friday. It's been writing and edited 3 times now. We have one more editing session until we finally turn it in. It is manageable. 

I am taking 2 classes again in the Spring. DF and I have our school schedules set up so that we will be able to make sure one of us can take care of the baby. He will be going full time, however. This should be his last semester!!! 

stillheart.gif The Hippie & the Marine stillheart.gif  hh2.gif
My boys: S (4) & O (2) & Expecting #3 in Dec. 2011

#159 of 162 Old 12-07-2011, 04:34 PM

Wow you will soooo go into labor during your finals!  lol.gif

Good luck and a healthy, happy, quick and awesome birth!!!!  {{{{{{{{{{{{hugs}}}}}}}}}}}}}

#160 of 162 Old 12-08-2011, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thystle View Post

Wow you will soooo go into labor during your finals!  lol.gif

Good luck and a healthy, happy, quick and awesome birth!!!!  {{{{{{{{{{{{hugs}}}}}}}}}}}}}

Yup! LOL. 

stillheart.gif The Hippie & the Marine stillheart.gif  hh2.gif
My boys: S (4) & O (2) & Expecting #3 in Dec. 2011

#161 of 162 Old 12-15-2011, 12:17 AM

Did you have your baby or take the finals yet????   lurk.gif

#162 of 162 Old 04-12-2012, 04:03 PM

You can visit this site for having coupon for book rent. coupons This is one of the best site in my eyes. Not only books but it contains thousands of coupon featuring electronics, cell phones, laptops, apparal, cloth shoe etc.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page