Surviving as a Full Time student Tribe? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 162 Old 01-11-2010, 02:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My dh is getting laid off and we have decided to send him to school full time this semester (usually he only has 1 class a semester and works ful time+). I would like to start a tribe to see how we are all handling fiances while we or our SO or both are part/full time students. Here are some of my personal thoughts:

Has anyone gotten around the fact that they don't give food stamps to full time students?
Cheap packed lunches that can be eaten on campus. There are some good resources or Hilly billy housewife, but I find that most of it is pretty high in calories.
Resources that you have utilized as a student or beacuse you are a student.

Thanks!
Erin

Erin Mama to thing 1 and 2 WAH with CELIAC?! Living and Learning
#2 of 162 Old 01-11-2010, 02:52 PM

My dh's in school full time, working very part time and I'm working full time.

I haven't tried for food stamps so I have no clue, but I really wish students in our position could get unemployment. Dh is just starting to pack his lunch (dinner technically) this semester so that'll be interesting. Probably alot of sandwiches and wraps. Mine can eat a anything between 2 pieces of bread. I don't have any tips on that.

The best part is that we find out about a ton of events/activities that the college puts on and we can usually get in free or cheap.
#3 of 162 Old 01-11-2010, 03:06 PM - Thread Starter

Well the unemployment we can get around sort of. My Dh is being laid off so we just apply for the unemployment and say that his classes don't interfere with getting a job (they are mostly night classes because that is when they are offered). As long as he puts in one resume a week, he fulfills their need for "looking for work". We have had this happen before.

My hubby's lunches mostly consist of sandwich, fruit, baked goods, with an occasional leftover thrown in. But he is detoxing from his soda (coke zero) and I've been trying to give him sweetened (majorly) tea in a mason jar. He knows the budget so he puts up with it but he's not happy. Any alternatives? I was shopping sales + using coupons + stocking up, till we had to cut back even further and just can't afford the luxury anymore.

#4 of 162 Old 01-11-2010, 05:32 PM

Have you heard about Independent Development Accounts? I posted about it on my blog the other day. http://thesavedquarter.wordpress.com...08/i-love-ida/

For every dollar you save, they match it with two, so if you save $2,000 for school, they'll match you with $4,000 so you have $6,000 to use for school expenses. I just signed up.
#5 of 162 Old 01-11-2010, 05:40 PM - Thread Starter

Wow that's cool I'll check into it!

ETA: well it seems there is not one in my state

#6 of 162 Old 01-11-2010, 07:06 PM

My husband will transition from being our "bread winner" to being a full-time student this summer. I will be looking for work.

I would love to see this thread grow. We have been using the past year to live simply and stock up on some items when our income plumets.
#7 of 162 Old 01-11-2010, 07:08 PM

My dh eats left overs, boiled eggs, salads etc.
#8 of 162 Old 01-11-2010, 08:02 PM

Are you sure they won't give FS's to students? I thought the rules changed last year. I'm a full time student, but dh works FT, and last year when we applied they told me they changed the "able-bodied adult" work rule for FS's. Maybe I misunderstood and it was only ok because we have a child under school age.

I know they won't allow childcare assistance unless I work, but at least we get FS's and it helps alot.

Otherwise we really only get by because I get every last cent of available financial aid, even the loans.
#9 of 162 Old 01-12-2010, 12:45 PM

My husband and I are both full time students and we receive foodstamps.
As for lunches, we just eat at home because our schedule allows it, lots of sandwiches and cheap tv dinners.

We don't get child care assistance which would be really nice, so dh and I have alternating schedules.

We do take out a few loans and we get a lot of grants and dh works two part time jobs during the semester and that is how we survive. We pay rent 6 months at a time when we get our f.a money and then his paychecks pay our bills.

E Veg*n Mom to ds 6 : dd 3
#10 of 162 Old 01-12-2010, 03:36 PM

We just finished doing this for 5 years. If DH is working at least 20 hours and a student you can get foodstamps. If not you can still get foodstamps for the kids but the student wont qualify.

Budgeting on 4 month paydays is the hardest we spent the first year or so doing the feast or fammin thing but finally got really good at stretching that money.

Apply for every scholarship you can find.

take advantage of the schools mail system we found lots of GREAT bargains on computers and bikes.

Offer to babysit for other students.

Join the married club if your school has one we went to a few really nice dinners and movies for very little money. The country club on valentines day for 20 bucks
#11 of 162 Old 01-12-2010, 03:40 PM

Has anyone taken out private loans to live on? Is the interset rediculous?

This does not add up to much but I have been doing Swagbucks. I redeem my bucks for $5 Amazon gift cards which I then use to purchase used boods for DH. AMazon also has grocery sales that could come in handy with the cards. Swagbucks is a search engine. You earn bucks for searching. If you are interested visit www.swagbucks.com
#12 of 162 Old 01-12-2010, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewp11100 View Post
Has anyone gotten around the fact that they don't give food stamps to full time students?

Erin
What?! This is not true in illinois. Myself and many people i know are on food stamps. Why wouldnt they give ft students food stamps? These are the people that prob need them more than anyone!

DS 5-11-06
#13 of 162 Old 01-12-2010, 11:07 PM

I'd like to join.. dh is unemployeed and I am almost a full time student

stillheart.gif The Hippie & the Marine stillheart.gif  hh2.gif
My boys: S (4) & O (2) & Expecting #3 in Dec. 2011

#14 of 162 Old 01-12-2010, 11:26 PM

Dh is employed full time and is also a full time student. I quit my job this summer to go back to school full time. We take most of our classes online but this semester he has one class on campus and I have two. I get out of school at 12:15 so I'm planning on keeping a sandwich or something in my car and eating it on the way home (1.5 hour commute.) Dh works at the college he attends so I'm sure he'll continue to take leftovers to work and eat it for lunch and dinner on the night he has to stay for class. Afaik MO does not let college students receive food stamps.

student/sahm to three awesome girls who are always on the go!
#15 of 162 Old 01-12-2010, 11:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolansmummy View Post
My husband and I are both full time students and we receive foodstamps.
I looked it up again and found this:
102.3 Eligibility Requirements
The student must meet one of the following requirements to be eligible. If the student
does not meet one of the requirements, the individual is a non-household member for
program purposes. (See section 102.6 for treatment of income and resources.) The
student must:
A. Be employed for a minimum of 20 hours per week (no averaging) and paid for
the employment or, if self-employed, be employed for a minimum of 20 hours per
week and receiving weekly earnings at least equal to the federal minimum wage
multiplied by 20 hours; or
B. Participate in a State or federally financed work-study program during the regular
school year. To qualify, a student must be approved for a work-study program at
the time of application for the Food Supplement Program (FSP). The exemption
begins with the month the school term begins or the month work-study is
approved, whichever is later. The exemption continues until the end of the
month in which the school term ends; or
C. Be a recipient of Temporary Cash Assistance; or
D. Be responsible for the care of a child when:
1. The child is age 5 or under;
2. The child is age of 6 through 11 and adequate child care is not available to
enable the student to attend class and work 20 hours per week or participate
in a State or federally financed work study program. (A statement from the
customer will be sufficient to verify that adequate child care is not available.);
3. The child is age 11 or younger and the parent is a single parent enrolled in an
institution of higher education on a full-time basis. (This provision applies in
those situations where only one natural, adoptive or stepparent, regardless of
marital status, is in the same household as the child.); or
E. Be assigned or placed in an institution of higher education through a program
under the Job Training Partnership Act (JTPA), or Work Opportunities, or a
Program under Section 236 of the Trade Act of 1974.

This is a better explanation I think we quilfy being that we have two kids 5 or under. I'm wondering if he can not be considered "responsible for the care of a child" when I only work 10-20 hours a week?

#16 of 162 Old 01-13-2010, 04:10 AM

We get full FS too, and I am a student.

We will likely be moving to another town because I believe I will be getting a full tuition scholarship starting next fall. I've been going to the community college for the last 3 years. The university I will likely be going is very family friendly (this is Utah, after all ) so we should be able to get family student housing pretty easily (covered by grants)!

Thanks for the great advice Spring!

#17 of 162 Old 01-13-2010, 10:57 AM

My dh and I are both full time students. He started last semester and I started this week. I lost my full time job (and our only car) in October. We get full foodstamps right now. We have one child under 5, and we recieved one tanf payment in september.

We have to bring lunch with us to school, as we do not have $ for meals there.
I was hired for seasonal work in Nov. was trained, and then never put on the schedule, so we have no income right now. I am babysitting and making and selling toys for basic $ right now that mostly covers our bus tickets to school, and not much else. We have gotten help with a few bills from the local charities, but it's not enough. Just trying to make it through this last month before our fin. aid comes in.

We are planning on paying off rent for a few months when we get our aid, it's the only way our landlord has let us stay for dec. and jan. We tried to get some assistance for rent, but there was too much red tape it was silly. We'll try again, though.

I'm hoping I can find some kind of part time work that fits in with my school schedule.
I'm also looking into low income housing, but not the projects. Some apartments around here will give you rent based on your income, etc. and they are much nicer then the projects. When we both switch from our 2 yr. community college to a Univ. to get a B.A., we are definately going for family student housing. In fact, it's one of our major searching points for schools we want to go to.

I am glad you started this thread and I hope to learn how families make it through!

Saamy Student mama to  superhero.gifand hearts.gifand babyf.gif

#18 of 162 Old 01-13-2010, 12:37 PM

My DH is a full time student and I work full time. We are on a very tight budget and use the Mvelopes software online to manage things. It is like a digital version of the cash in envelopes system and really helps us stay on track.

As far as lunches, I usually make some sort of cold salad (either quinoa, barley, or whole wheat pasta) at the beginning of each week for lunches. I find that it is easy to have a lot of variety and complete nutrition and each day you just need to fill a small container and go, no assembly necessary.

We don't eat lunch meat, so sandwiches can get pretty boring after a while. I would love any lunch meat free sandwich suggestions. If I do make sandwiches I usually do mixed veggies with some sort of spread like hummus, olive tapenade, or some sort of pesto.
#19 of 162 Old 01-13-2010, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sellendie View Post

As far as lunches, I usually make some sort of cold salad (either quinoa, barley, or whole wheat pasta) at the beginning of each week for lunches. I find that it is easy to have a lot of variety and complete nutrition and each day you just need to fill a small container and go, no assembly necessary.

We don't eat lunch meat, so sandwiches can get pretty boring after a while. I would love any lunch meat free sandwich suggestions. If I do make sandwiches I usually do mixed veggies with some sort of spread like hummus, olive tapenade, or some sort of pesto.
I do the same thing for veggie sandwiches. -- I like the cold salad idea. I did that a lot over the summer, but I haven't in a long time.

I take online or evening classes (until next fall they will be regular ones), so the lunch doesn't really apply to me.. however, we usually always have leftovers for lunch, and I could just put them in a to-go container to take with me.

#20 of 162 Old 01-13-2010, 03:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sellendie View Post
I generally try to make one big roast every other or every week (lamb leg when is season, whole turkey/chicken, beef or pork roast). Day 1 we eat fresh, Day 2 is soup and we try to slice "lunch meat" from it. My DH will not eat PB+J for weeks at a time and we don't do lunch meat either, way to expensive for all the nasty chemicals. If we have a lot of "homemade lunch meat slices, I'll freeze a batch for later (on a flat cookie sheet, then once frozen in a bag).

#21 of 162 Old 02-02-2010, 12:32 AM

Bumping as I might be joining you all soon.

Resistance is futile Matey
#22 of 162 Old 02-02-2010, 01:39 AM

Dh and I are students, and will be full time in September. Some of the things that help us are

1. We work full time every summer. From May-end of Aug. Then we make all of that money S-T-R-E-T-C-H to cover our tuition, and bills for the year.
2. We don't eat out. Ever. Especially for lunches etc at school!
3. We buy our books second hand whenever possible, and apply for all scholarships and grants.

We're in canada, and are blessed with programs that help us, including a daycare subsidy, and low income health care support.

As for lunches, I make two different kinds of soups on sunday, and they last through the school week. Then I add a salad with dressing on the side.

I'm planning on doing the majority of my cooking/prep on weekends for the school day dinners. I'm thinkin' I can make 5 dinners (casseroles, prep for crockpot, etc.) and just be able to walk in the door and pop something into the oven/crockpot/skillet, add some fresh veg or a salad and call it done! Anyone else do this sort of thing?

I am not crunchy enough for this forum. Everyday I get a little crunchier though! :
#23 of 162 Old 02-02-2010, 03:57 AM

My DH and I are both full time students. We are taking all online classes this semester and taking 3 of the same classes so that makes it easier because we can help each other out. We have two little ones. Our oldest DD is in pre-school for half of the day Tues-Fri. Our youngest DD is 3. We just do homework and study when we can, off and on all day and then some at night when the kiddos are in bed.

We are on FS and WIC. It helps a lot. All of our food is covered and DH gets a paid monthly from the GI Bill (he was in the Army) plus he works part time so that covers our bills and then we wait to buy anything extra like clothes, fun stuff etc. until we get our Financial Aid money.

We eat at home usually (unless DH is working) so that makes meals a lot easier. DH usually takes a drink and a packed lunch to work and we pretty much never eat out or anything. It is tough sometimes but I know in the long run it will be more than worth it and I am really proud of us for working so hard to make a better life for our little family. It is so hard going to school after having kids but it is doable and is very worth it!

Student/Working Mama notes.gifgeek.gif
to DD 1dust.gif & DD 2energy.gif & engaged to DFpartners.gif

#24 of 162 Old 02-06-2010, 12:20 AM

Joining in! Both my DH and I are FT students. He also works FT, but will probably have to quit next semester. He works nights and then goes to school during the daytime right now but it's really not going to work out for us that way anymore. Dh does web design and photography on the side and will be continuing that plus he and I are starting a small homemade soap company to sell at local craft shows and online. We are currenlt on WIC but are applying for foodstamps this week to help with the budget.
We both get pell grants and will hopefully be getting $$ from the Choctaw nation to help with education expenses. We're trying not to take out any loans.

Chelsea, Christian, Wife to Trey, Mommy to Oliver (11/3/2005), Abner (5/01/2008) and Baby #3 ( Due 9/27/2010)
#25 of 162 Old 02-11-2010, 05:34 PM

:bump

We'll be joining you soon. I'm in my 3rd year of school (going for my masters, so I've got 3 years left) and DH is quitting his (well-paying, but way too stressful) job this summer to go back to school. He'll probably have about 3 years left.

We're planning on taking out all the loan money available, but putting it straight into our high interest savings accts and only using it when really neccessary. Whatever loan money is still in there when we graduate will be put straight onto the debt we've accumulated.

We'll be applying for WIC and FS.
We're getting every grant available to us, though they really just cover tuition and books.
I'm hoping to get a GA position when I start grad school.
DH will be working summers. (I have classes and need someone to watch the kids so I probably won't)

The hardest thing for us will be not eating out. Even going to the Chinese buffet once a week will have to be cut out. I'm hoping we can swing once a month though.

student momma to two great girls

#26 of 162 Old 02-11-2010, 09:53 PM

You will have to list all bank accounts with the account numbers and you can't have more than like $2000 in assets for food stamps, so I dont think taking out loans and then putting them in savings will work.

Ooh and they have "new" rules about working to get fs too... being a full time student in most places does not qualify you.

#27 of 162 Old 02-13-2010, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thystle View Post
You will have to list all bank accounts with the account numbers and you can't have more than like $2000 in assets for food stamps, so I dont think taking out loans and then putting them in savings will work.

Ooh and they have "new" rules about working to get fs too... being a full time student in most places does not qualify you.
Well, in our state, if you're a full time student and working in a work-study program (which only pays about $1100/semester or if you have small kids, you can get FS.

I think that the loan money in the back acct may keep us from getting FS, but I think that really sucks since that money will barely last the full year. ...it's just that we will only really get a 'payday' twice a year. So if you look at my bank account in august, the balance may be really high, but wait until december to look at it and money will probably be really tight. So, yeah, that kind of stinks.

student momma to two great girls

#28 of 162 Old 02-26-2010, 12:39 AM

Yes work study qualifies you here too.

Those who are doing work study... what job did you end up with?

Is anyone else paying rent/mortgage with only fin aid/work study/loans?

Anyone heard back from Fasfa for fall yet?

#29 of 162 Old 02-26-2010, 02:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thystle View Post

Is anyone else paying rent/mortgage with only fin aid/work study/loans?
We will be starting this fall.. I am getting a full tuition scholarship so all our grant $ money will go to rent in family student housing... dh is going to start a masters program and hopefully a PT job.

#30 of 162 Old 02-26-2010, 09:22 AM - Thread Starter

OP here, just an update!

So we are doing pretty well $$ wise but time management is killing us! I'm thinking about quiting my second job as I have just no time. Food stamps was so easy! I thought it would be tons of hassle but it was easier then WIC! They gave us so much too like $682!! Thats $182 over what I budget for when I'm not scraping by! I've been trying to stock some things and use some money for "convience foods" (I use this as quotes but because I'm taking about buying bread and hummas, lol). Unemployment is still "considering" my dh's application!!! They are having a problem with him going to school even thought he said he would except work if it came along. We have a couple more days till we find out if that will come through. Stae taxes are back, which helped. Our HUGE (we bought a house) fed return is not back yet but we want to try to save most of that. What has really helped is my busniess finally came through, I'm sooooo busy!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page