Not sure which direction to take in nursing career and in schooling. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 01-12-2010, 12:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I am currently enrolled in a class, This is week two. I might be offered a job that I interviewed for months ago but they went with someone else and I was 2nd choice the person they went with is now moving, she was more qualified than me for the job. If it the same schedule as posted before than it would be 3 days a week 8-4 (or there abouts) I'm an LPN. I'm currently taking pre-reqs for my RN and watching a friend's child 2 days a week. If I took this job I would NOT beable to take a class for this quarter (and would not beable to get any $ back) DH is working out of state for the next 6mo so child wise its all me. I do have childcare lined up so thats covered. If the job is 5 days a week I won't take it. I'm just not sure what to do and I need to bounce it around for feedback I guess.

Stay in school and watch friend's child 2 days a week (which covers the cost of my prior student loan) DD2 is in daycare 1 day a week full day and 2 days a week half day. Pick up 1-2 on call LPN jobs a month at a local nursing home on the weekends for experence. Current schedule will have me get RN in 2 yrs.

Drop out of class. Take this job 3 days a week watch my friend's child 2 days a week. DD2 goes to childcare 3 full days a week (which is only 4 extra hours a week). Once DH gets home re-take current class and take a night class when I can.... will take about 3-4yrs to get RN. When All is said and done factoring out cost of childcare and gas ( I already have the wardrobe) I'll be making about $1500 a month.

Pax, loving wife since 2001, Mother of DD1 (12) and DD2 (8 1/2). Entering our 5th year of Homeschooling: Eclectic mix of curriculum and child interest lead. Backyard urban chicken chasers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 17 Old 01-12-2010, 11:01 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It seems to me like staying in school and completing in 2 years might be a better option, given that in 2 years you will be making much more as an RN than an LPN, and your DD2 would be in school (I'm assuming you don't hs) all day at that point (I'm assuming with an '05 birthday she might be in K or 1st grade at that point?). It would be a leaner next two years, since you won't be making the money from that job, but it would put you closer to your goal of RN licensure/employment, which is more lucrative anyway than an LPN position.

Mama to A 8/05 and S 11/06
#3 of 17 Old 01-12-2010, 12:57 PM

Okay first of all, you'd loose money if you took the job! (b/c you will loose the money for the class). Think about the number of hours you will have to work to pay for that class.

It sounds to me that you have everything set up in order to take your classes. DO THAT! I am an RN. You make signifigantly more as an RN than an LPN. I know it is hard to be in school and have a child, but keep your eyes on the long term! When you are done you will have MANY more options.

It is usually pretty easy to to some agency type work as a nurse. I'd look into that to make a llittle extra $ and keep to watching the other child. Go fulltime to school. Get it done as quick as you can.
#4 of 17 Old 01-12-2010, 01:37 PM

I agree with the others, stay in school. In my area, spots in the RN program are limited, and competition is fierce - if you stopped and decided you wanted to return, could you even get back in? Honestly, $150/month and 2 years behind on your goal does not seem worth it to me!
#5 of 17 Old 01-12-2010, 01:42 PM

Stay in school! It's best to do what you have to do to get through school sooner. Less money lost.

S-d D which made them three. M grew lonely, and now there's baby D.
"Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?"
#6 of 17 Old 01-12-2010, 01:43 PM

Stay in school!

I dropped out with one semester left to go on a 2-year clinical therapeutic massage program so I could take on more clients for my employer and I MASSIVELY regret it- especially since I no longer work for that employer or even live in that area. I told myself at the time I'd go back- still haven't yet

Feel free to learn from my mistake!
#7 of 17 Old 01-12-2010, 01:52 PM

I would stay in school.You may not have a chance to get back into it,and getting your RN will take longer.Far better to get the RN degree and find something now that is more flexible as a lpn like homecare if you need extra money.
Best wishes whatever you decide!
#8 of 17 Old 01-12-2010, 02:03 PM

I say stay in school too! It's hard to go back once you've stopped, and the 2 years will be over before you know it- and then you'll be done!

Jen, L&D RN, CBE, CLEC who loves to knit.gif! I adore my modifiedartist.gifDP, treehugger.gifDD 10/98, & sweet new babygirl.gif5/10!!!
#9 of 17 Old 01-12-2010, 02:27 PM

Location: dining at the restaurant at the end of the universe
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Ten years or so ago, I has to quit nursing school, due to childcare issues. I thought I would be able to go back. Well, by now, all my prereqs are outdated, and I would have to start over at day one! No can do (I am old!).

Have you looked into the LPN-RN programs online? I think Dominguez College in CA offers a fairly widely accepted BS/RN program. It is a Cal State college, so it is accredited. Perhaps worth checking into?

Rhu - mother,grandmother,daughter,sister,friend-foster,adoptive,and biological;not necessarily in that order. Some of it's magic, some of it's tragic, but I had a good life all the way (Jimmy Buffet)

#10 of 17 Old 01-12-2010, 03:09 PM

another vote to keep going to school and get your RN. Once your pre-req's are done, isn't it only a year left? You can defer your past student loans while you are in school, right? I would get my ADN RN degree, find a job, and start working on a BSN part-time/online, personally. If you drop out, it seems that much harder to get back into it.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#11 of 17 Old 01-12-2010, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamarhu View Post
Have you looked into the LPN-RN programs online? I think Dominguez College in CA offers a fairly widely accepted BS/RN program. It is a Cal State college, so it is accredited. Perhaps worth checking into?
But then she'd have to set up all her clinic time on her own which can get tricky if you can't find anyone to precept you or a hospital to get your hours in.
#12 of 17 Old 01-12-2010, 04:10 PM

Location: dining at the restaurant at the end of the universe
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by not now View Post
But then she'd have to set up all her clinic time on her own which can get tricky if you can't find anyone to precept you or a hospital to get your hours in.
Some people can work it in with an LPN job, even if it is part time. I was just suggesting alternative ways of getting to the RN, without losing any ground.

Rhu - mother,grandmother,daughter,sister,friend-foster,adoptive,and biological;not necessarily in that order. Some of it's magic, some of it's tragic, but I had a good life all the way (Jimmy Buffet)

#13 of 17 Old 01-12-2010, 09:51 PM - Thread Starter

I want to thank you all for letting me bounce ideas off. DH is currently working out of state and will be until June then home again for 2mo then gone for 2mos. He already has been gone for 2mo. he is 3hours ahead of me and works 2nd shift so getting to really talk is really limited.

I went to my interview today and it sounds like they also wanted to increase the days to 3 full days 1 week and 4 full days a second week. The location is 40mins from my house, something keeps telling me that the best thing to do is to stay in school and pick up some on call or home health.

Currently to get into my college's LPN to ADN (LPn to RN Bridge Program) program I need 4 science classes which all build on each other. The Bridge program is 8 mo once I'm enrolled in it. It starts in Jan. each year. For me being in a program is better than doing it online. I do better when I have to show up for the class. I usually build in my childcare to have an extra hour either before or after the class to have additional study time.

From a financial point of view we don't need me to work. If that changed I'd be out getting a full time JOB as a LPN in a blink of an eye.

Pax, loving wife since 2001, Mother of DD1 (12) and DD2 (8 1/2). Entering our 5th year of Homeschooling: Eclectic mix of curriculum and child interest lead. Backyard urban chicken chasers.
#14 of 17 Old 01-12-2010, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxjourney View Post
I want to thank you all for letting me bounce ideas off. DH is currently working out of state and will be until June then home again for 2mo then gone for 2mos. He already has been gone for 2mo. he is 3hours ahead of me and works 2nd shift so getting to really talk is really limited.

I am giving you a parent-of-the-year award. On top of all of that, you're negotiating nursing school. Rock on, mama!!!!

Mama to A 8/05 and S 11/06
#15 of 17 Old 01-12-2010, 10:57 PM

One point to consider -- would having had this job look good on your nursing school application? Besides good grades in your pre-req classes, I would think having worked in the field would be good.

If the other person was over-qualified, I was just thinking, is this like an "in" to a very good job that normally an LPN wouldn't be hired for? If so, I would think that experience might be good for your nursing career overall.

I actually kinda agree with what all the previous posters said, too - I just wanted to give another perspective.
#16 of 17 Old 01-12-2010, 11:33 PM

In my Point of View as a nurse recruiter for permanent placement I can say that any work as an LPN doesn't make a whole lot of difference when applying for a new job once you get your RN degree. You may get the job over the next nurse because you've been doing something as a nurse however it won't make a difference when it comes to salary and benefits, etc.
Finish your RN as quickly as you can since you don't need to earn a living to support your family. With your RN you can earn so much more and have many additional opportunities.
Good luck!
#17 of 17 Old 01-13-2010, 02:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by traceface View Post
One point to consider -- would having had this job look good on your nursing school application? Besides good grades in your pre-req classes, I would think having worked in the field would be good.

If the other person was over-qualified, I was just thinking, is this like an "in" to a very good job that normally an LPN wouldn't be hired for? If so, I would think that experience might be good for your nursing career overall.

I actually kinda agree with what all the previous posters said, too - I just wanted to give another perspective.
I do need to get some experience working as an LPN but it wouldn't be a qualifier or put me above another applicant for the RN program, what counts for that is when I get my application in and my GPA. They have taken LPNs who have NO work experience except what they got in clinical for LPN school.

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelcollector1 View Post
In my Point of View as a nurse recruiter for permanent placement I can say that any work as an LPN doesn't make a whole lot of difference when applying for a new job once you get your RN degree. You may get the job over the next nurse because you've been doing something as a nurse however it won't make a difference when it comes to salary and benefits, etc.
Finish your RN as quickly as you can since you don't need to earn a living to support your family. With your RN you can earn so much more and have many additional opportunities.
Good luck!
Thanks for you point of view. My understanding when it comes to find a job as a new grad RN is that my resume next to another new grad RN is about the same.... bottom of the pile. lol

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page