Mothering Forum banner

Salary Negotiation How To?

538 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  honeybunmom 
#1 ·
DP got a job offer this morning!!! He's been looking for several months, and this is a great job for him. We're excited (and, whoa, holy work to do to move to the city where said job is!).

During the lengthy interview process, a certain salary was mentioned, but the actual offer is a couple thousand under that number. The job has no benefits.

DP is trying to come up with a way to say, "Awesome. Thanks for the offer. Please give me 3000$ more." He's going to take the job either way, and I know 3000$ isn't a huge amount when you factor in taxes, but, money is money!

How do you go about making this sort of negotiation? Everything is being carried out in writing. Ideas?

#2 ·
A couple of things come to mind:

1. He could simply state that he thinks the job is worth $x - no matter who performs it. This worked for me some years ago.

2. He could say that, given that there are no benefits, he wanted to know whether the firm could pay $x to put him closer to where he was before given the skills and talent he's brining to the position.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.