I just cancelled cable. One teensy little question now.... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-19-2010, 07:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I moved us from Expanded down to Basic & now we only have TV in one room, rather than two. I saved $25/month!

I haven't discussed this with dh.
Please tell me the Super Bowl is on one of the major networks!!!!

I hope.

Mama to A 8/05 and S 11/06
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2010, 07:45 PM

Yes, NBC will have the game this year. It changes networks frequently year to yer, but always on a network channel.

good for you on cutting that bill, and no you don't have to worry about watching the big game.
Old 01-19-2010, 07:51 PM
Banned

yup, he'll get it.

but, there's also an opportunity if he didn't get it--the opportunity to go to a sports bar or friend's for an event. it's pretty cool.
Old 01-19-2010, 09:46 PM

I eased my DH out of "the works" cable TV slowly and he is adjusting just fine. We have basic cable and that's it. It works on both TVs and isn't any cheaper for just one. (I tried! LOL) My DH has gotten rather creative this year for his college basketball game watching (his big passion). As I was reducing our services/expenses, I had left his college basketball package he got each year alone. We would pick up a cable box just for the basketball season, get his package for that timeframe, and then return the box at the end of the season. Last year, I suggested we discontinue getting the package altogether, but left it up to him ultimately. He started looking into it then and has not gotten the package or box this year/season. He gets most games streaming live on the computer hooked up to the TV, so it looks like it would on regular TV for the most part. Some games are streaming live, but won't work on that particular computer, so he'll watch them on his laptop (newer technology). If he cannot find it on regular TV or online live, he'll head to the sports bar where his college alumni folks hang out. It is a family-friendly place near the beach, so it can be fun for all.

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

Old 01-19-2010, 10:23 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the support.

I told dh tonight at dinner, and he surprisingly said "Oh, good." when I told him about the $25. Then, "They're coming tomorrow? We'd better watch the good channels tonight."

Hopefully $300 a year speaks to him.

Old 01-20-2010, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Yes, NBC will have the game this year. It changes networks frequently year to yer, but always on a network channel.
Actually, it's on CBS.

Amy loving DH 5/04, raising DD 2/05 and DS 11/09; missing my mom& my babies 6/07, 12/07; and on the side
Old 01-31-2010, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnysandiegan View Post
I eased my DH out of "the works" cable TV slowly and he is adjusting just fine. We have basic cable and that's it. It works on both TVs and isn't any cheaper for just one. (I tried! LOL) My DH has gotten rather creative this year for his college basketball game watching (his big passion). As I was reducing our services/expenses, I had left his college basketball package he got each year alone. We would pick up a cable box just for the basketball season, get his package for that timeframe, and then return the box at the end of the season. Last year, I suggested we discontinue getting the package altogether, but left it up to him ultimately. He started looking into it then and has not gotten the package or box this year/season. He gets most games streaming live on the computer hooked up to the TV, so it looks like it would on regular TV for the most part. Some games are streaming live, but won't work on that particular computer, so he'll watch them on his laptop (newer technology). If he cannot find it on regular TV or online live, he'll head to the sports bar where his college alumni folks hang out. It is a family-friendly place near the beach, so it can be fun for all.
Is there a place online to watch streaming TV? I have been googling but can't figure out what's legitimate and what's not. My DH and oldest DS want to watch the Pro Bowl, on right now, but we don't have cable, and it's on ESPN. It looks like most of these services charge you, but I wouldn't mind for the occassional big event like this. But just not sure what service to use, what's legit and what's going to screw up my computer. Thanks!
Old 01-31-2010, 11:10 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
How come you didn't discuss it with DH first?

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
Old 01-31-2010, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefulfaith View Post
I moved us from Expanded down to Basic & now we only have TV in one room, rather than two. I saved $25/month!

I haven't discussed this with dh.
Please tell me the Super Bowl is on one of the major networks!!!!

I hope.
Uh you didn't discuss this with him first?

Anne, Mama to Conner 2/27/04 blahblah.gif  Gabrielle 2/6/06 W/LMC-TCS, Neurogenic Bladder, AFO & KAFO wearer, Neurogenic Bowel energy.gif & Delaney 5/12/08 mischievous.gif &  Beethoven cat.gif& Gizmo cat.gif

Old 01-31-2010, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momofmine View Post
Is there a place online to watch streaming TV? I have been googling but can't figure out what's legitimate and what's not. My DH and oldest DS want to watch the Pro Bowl, on right now, but we don't have cable, and it's on ESPN. It looks like most of these services charge you, but I wouldn't mind for the occassional big event like this. But just not sure what service to use, what's legit and what's going to screw up my computer. Thanks!
As far as I'm aware, the only NFL games that are (legally) streamed over the internet in the US are the Sunday Night Football games on NBC. The NFL website offers a streaming audio service, but the streaming video is not available in the US.

Maybe next season ...

Amy loving DH 5/04, raising DD 2/05 and DS 11/09; missing my mom& my babies 6/07, 12/07; and on the side
Old 01-31-2010, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momofmine View Post
Ask your neighbors? We don't have cable, but a couple of our neighbors are willing to "throw" a party if we bring chips and salsa, for something like the pro bowl.

Although, my husband found out it was on ESPN; laughed, and said it would probably be back on network tv next year. He's considering the whole pro bowl fiasco this year to be something of a black eye for the NFL and kind of shrugged at missing it.
Old 02-01-2010, 02:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatWrangler View Post
Uh you didn't discuss this with him first?
I didn't write the entire, long boring story about our financial discussion, but he had mentioned that maybe I might drop the extended cable package once football season was over.

I had stopped it sooner than that because the cable company operator told me how much money we would save and added that the football would be on the channels we would receive.

I didn't trust her, and so I was online that day trying busily to find out whether that was the truth (including my triumphant post two weeks ago where I asked here!). It is the truth, I found out, and he was perfectly happy. I posted thinking that I probably should have found out the specific football details before I made the definite decision to cancel.

...But, no, I don't make major decisions like cancelling cable without talking with my husband.

As a side note, it's been two weeks and we don't even miss it. We have even talked about cancelling it altogether and purchasing a TV with an HDMI cable and tapping into the interwebs for television as has been discussed here lately. I am hoping that we go that direction next....

Old 02-01-2010, 02:47 PM

We recently went totally cable free, and it's been great. I wish Disney Channel had something available online for the 20 minutes a week I wish I had something to occupy DS with when I'm cooking dinner on the stove and he's decided to cling to my legs, but we're cool. I like that it's not an option. I miss morning CNN a little bit, but not enough to pay for!!!

I am reading SO MUCH MORE now, and Hulu has pretty much everything we watched except "No Reservations"
Old 02-01-2010, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefulfaith View Post
I didn't write the entire, long boring story about our financial discussion, but he had mentioned that maybe I might drop the extended cable package once football season was over.

I had stopped it sooner than that because the cable company operator told me how much money we would save and added that the football would be on the channels we would receive.

I didn't trust her, and so I was online that day trying busily to find out whether that was the truth (including my triumphant post two weeks ago where I asked here!). It is the truth, I found out, and he was perfectly happy. I posted thinking that I probably should have found out the specific football details before I made the definite decision to cancel.

...But, no, I don't make major decisions like cancelling cable without talking with my husband.

As a side note, it's been two weeks and we don't even miss it. We have even talked about cancelling it altogether and purchasing a TV with an HDMI cable and tapping into the interwebs for television as has been discussed here lately. I am hoping that we go that direction next....
Okay. My husband would freaked. Don't need that happening.

Anne, Mama to Conner 2/27/04 blahblah.gif  Gabrielle 2/6/06 W/LMC-TCS, Neurogenic Bladder, AFO & KAFO wearer, Neurogenic Bowel energy.gif & Delaney 5/12/08 mischievous.gif &  Beethoven cat.gif& Gizmo cat.gif

User Tag List