Do you save money baking bread? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

#31 of 37 Old 01-23-2010, 10:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
When we lived on the coast, breadmaking was a snap, and yes we did save money (seeing especially how bread cost tons there - everything did - and I could get bulk ingredients online). It was also a simple process - pop the ingredients in the bread maker in the evening, wake up to a loaf in the morning, ta da!

Then we moved to a dry, dry, high-altitude location. Here, bread making is a freaking event. I've FINALLY settled on a method that SORT of works - knead the dough out with the bread machine, then refrigerate, then knead by hand, then pop in the slow cooker for a few hours. That will come out half the time with a decent loaf and the other half the time with an inedible mess, depending on the temp and humidity (which sometimes changes from the start of the process to the end). No thank you. I will make them for special ocassions but I have no desire to do that all day - and the bread here is much cheaper in the stores, so if anything I would be breaking even. But, like a PP said, store bought bread lasts longer, so it's actually cheaper than making a new loaf per day.

I miss coastal living and waking up to fresh bread in the morning...

mama of DS(3) & DD(2)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 37 Old 01-24-2010, 06:31 PM

I have to say that as easy as it is to pick up a 2nd hand bread machine, I can't justify the time to babysit traditional homemade bread. Mine was actually given to me, and although it does take a fair bit of space (under the sink is the only space it will fit for storage), I stock up when I have the time and ambition. So I'll do a couple loaves a day for a week straight, put the machine away and freeze the loaves.
I also set the bread machine up in the laundry room so the noise doesn't bug me and it's out of sight/mind from the kids who like to press buttons.

DH and I - totally winging life with our four children, DS1 (6.5yrs), DS2 (5yrs), DD (3yrs) and DS3 (1)!

#33 of 37 Old 01-24-2010, 08:28 PM

With the recipe I use (here, but I cut the honey by about half) I save about 50 cents a loaf. I've found a couple very decent, reasonably-costing breads so my savings isn't as great as some people get. And it'll take a loooong time for my bread savings to make up for this (mine was $385). But because of my fibromyalgia, I can't really get by without it.

Kali (pka Michelle) ~ crunchy wife to Cory (09/06) ~ Mama to H (03/90) & I (06/92)--bothnocirc.gifbf.jpg BF for 35 consecutive months ~ angel1.gif x 4

#34 of 37 Old 01-24-2010, 11:03 PM

I do the no-knead bread book. Here's a link to an article that has the basic recipes for free and talks about the book.

A loaf of bread like that costs 3.99 or more around here, I make it for pennies and love it!

Mama to a sweet 12/06 girl fairy.gif and a squishy 8/09 boy biggrinbounce.gif
#35 of 37 Old 01-24-2010, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv-my-boys View Post
This is my tried and true tortilla recipe just like my grandma makes. Im hispanic and "know" tortillas. I personally dont like store bought ones because they just dont taste right to me, probably all the perservatives.

flour tortilla recipe (1 dozen- stays about 1 week in fridge cooked/freezes fine)

3 C. unbleached Flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
4-6 tbsp vegetable shortening or lard
about 1 1/4 C warm water (NOT boiling)

mix dry ingred. in bowl. cut in shortening/lard until its crumbly. Slowly add the water so dough is soft (shouldnt be sticky). Knead dough for a few minutes. Seperate dough into 12 equal sized balls and let rest. This will cause the dough to get a little dry...you want that.

roll out each ball to a tortilla. Heat on a griddle or pan. It will only take a few seconds to cook on each side. Tortilla will have nice browned spots on them when that side is ready. DO not use a high heat, a small-medium heat will do.

** I use an iron griddle to heat them up but I have also used a larger chicken fryer type pan. These are super yummy with a dollop of butter. I also have a super yummy mexican rice recipe if anyone wants it.
Sounds yummy Could I sub whole wheat flour for the white?
#36 of 37 Old 01-25-2010, 12:34 AM

Yes, I was going to say that if you think bread takes too much time or haven't liked your results, you should try no-knead bread! I HAVE a breadmaker that I used to use constantly, and since I've started making no-knead bread I hardly use it all (I still occasionally make ww sandwich bread for my little toddler, since he finds the no-knead crust a bit chewy). The no-knead bread takes the same amoutn of time to mix up and the results are far superior to breadmaker bread, IMO. It does require advance planning and is a little less push-button, but I really think it's worth your time to try.

grateful mother to DD, 1/04, and DS, 2/08

#37 of 37 Old 01-25-2010, 12:51 AM

Yes, I believe we save money this way ... but we don't eat bread all that often, anymore. we do eat a lot of baked goods (muffins, waffles, pizza dough and bagels ... and ww flour tortillas) that I make just about every day of the week and I know we save money on these items. I grind my own wheat and make more nutritious items for my family this way (I buy my wheat and yeast in bulk and always have enough on hand to make something!)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page