Do you save money baking bread? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 37 Old 01-21-2010, 02:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm trying to reduce what we spend and one of my ideas was to start baking our own bread, but then I looked at some recipes (I've never been a baker, it would be a new experience for me) and wondered how it could be any cheaper once I've bought all the ingredients? it's not like I have things like wheat gluten or dry milk already sitting around, kwim?

So is it really more cost efficient? Or just tasty because it's made from scratch?

Me: married to my :fireman Mama to my littles: Toby 8/04 and Elina 10/08
#2 of 37 Old 01-21-2010, 03:23 PM

I've started making no knead bread rather than picking up a baguette when I go shopping. That is a definite savings, since it's just water, flour, salt, tiny amount of yeast, and it warms up my oven for cooking supper. Recipe here. I use 1c whole wheat flour, 2c white flour, with no problems.
http://steamykitchen.com/168-no-knea...revisited.html

For sliced sandwich bread, I buy whole grain breads and bagels at a bakery outlet, and I don't think it would save much to make them myself instead. Not enough that I'm willing to take the time anyway.

For flour tortillas, I buy them when I can find them at the outlet or elsewhere for $1/package. Otherwise, I make them since the regular grocery store price around here is over $3/package. I always have flour, salt, and oil around the house, so no new expensive ingredients.
#3 of 37 Old 01-21-2010, 04:05 PM

I did the math once and we save between 40-60% by buying ingredients and making bread ourselves. We do tend to eat a little more of homemade bread, though (since it's so much yummier), so maybe it's really more like 30-50%.

Amy loving DH 5/04, raising DD 2/05 and DS 11/09; missing my mom& my babies 6/07, 12/07; and on the side
#4 of 37 Old 01-21-2010, 04:48 PM

FWIW you don't need to use powdered milk.

The cheapest we can buy our (healthier) bread is $1.47. At first I thought we wouldn't save much because homemade bread disappears so much faster. But the novelty wears off eventually and we have stopped devouring it the second it's done baking

I buy 40lbs of flour for around $25, we grow our own eggs and my recipes usually call for milk and yeast. A package of yeast seems to last forever, I haven't found a cheaper source yet so it's $8. In all we went from spending $21/mo on bread to $13. Plus now I make most of our own buns. I haven't figured out the savings there, but I know it's significant because only the unhealthy white ones ever come on sale for $1/package.

AND we know exactly what is in our bread products too.

DH and I - totally winging life with our four children, DS1 (6.5yrs), DS2 (5yrs), DD (3yrs) and DS3 (1)!

#5 of 37 Old 01-21-2010, 04:51 PM

I have not sat down to calculate it firmly, but we did a rough estimate and we are definitely saving at least 50% by baking our own bread. I buy my flour when its on sale (and I buy our local co-op brand) so I only pay about $6 per 10kg - that's 3 loaves of bread right there.

Tamika
Mum to 5 wonderful gifts!!
#6 of 37 Old 01-21-2010, 07:24 PM

We do!

I don't use dry milk since DD1 has a dairy allergy.

I buy our wheat berries in 40lb buckets and our yeast in 2lb packages.

Our bread is whole wheat flour, a bit of bread flour (for the higher gluten content), olive oil, water, yeast, and salt.

I also will make breadsticks that are just flour, water, olive oil, salt, and yeast.

We really need to be careful about what is in our food because of DD1's various sensitivities and it's much less expensive (and less time consuming) for me to bake our bread products instead of hunting down the brands that don't have dairy, artificial flavors, artificial colors, or preservatives.
#7 of 37 Old 01-21-2010, 09:14 PM

I have not mastered bread for sandwiches yet. I do make our other breads and sweets like cinnamon rolls and it does save money-when compared to similar bakery iems.

mother, wife, sister, friend--step mom to one grown man and mommy to 3 boys-ages 19, 10 and 4
#8 of 37 Old 01-21-2010, 10:17 PM

The short answer is yes. The long answer is it depends.

DH is a baker by trade, and does most of the baking around here. (I'm just the dishwasher, .)

We buy organic whole grain flours thru a restaurant, and yeast, oats, and raw honey in bulk thru our co-op, olive oil from the restaurant supply store. Our cost is ~$1 per 1.5# loaf, plus utilities, bread bags (4c/ea), and our time.

DH has been desperately ill (off work all week) at the same time that our freezer stash of homemade bread was depleted. I went to local grocery today and bought a bag of day old bread, all 1# packages, 9 for $4. They probably aren't even covering their costs at 44c per loaf. But the bread isn't very good. It's white bread that toasts up into nothing, and has HFCS and trans fat in it. (We'll probably use most of it for croutons and breadcrumbs.)

So this isn't a true apples to apples comparison. It's more like conventional MacIntosh to organic Yellow Delicious.

Trying to turn hearts and minds toward universal healthcare, one post at a time.
#9 of 37 Old 01-21-2010, 10:27 PM

We do, I most often just do a basic white for sandwiches. I'll make an oatmeal, with steal cut oats an the only thing I regularly need dry milk is when I make rye. We do eat more bread that is home made then back when I purchase bread. But that saves us money too. Because it means we are eating lunch at home. If I didn't have fresh baked bread and some cold cuts in the fridge, DP would be eating fast food for lunch.
#10 of 37 Old 01-21-2010, 10:42 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I never really calculated. I mostly bake non-plain bread, though, like banana bread, blueberry bread, zucchini and sesame seeds...etc. I don't even know where to find those in stores. We don't have easy access to a real bakery. I imagine those "special" breads would cost quite a bit if I buy them.

I do still buy sliced sandwich bread and sometimes dinner rolls from grocery stores.

Mom to 2 beautiful autistic boys (12 & 11)  
#11 of 37 Old 01-21-2010, 11:09 PM

It doesn't save us much, but they have different places. I make bread for us to enjoy with or between meals. I haven't yet been able to make a loaf that is really good for sandwiches (my next attempt is cooling tho!), and we always buy whole grain sandwich bread on sale. If I wasn't making bread, we simply wouldn't have good rustic bread. If it's replacing rice or potatoes as the starch.. probably not saving money. But it's something I enjoy doing almost as much as I enjoy eating : )
#12 of 37 Old 01-22-2010, 12:10 AM

For those of you who have tried making tortillas, can you post a link or recipe? What about a good recipe for soup rolls?
TIA

Working, freshly graduated! mama.  Loving life with DHguitar.gif , DD 7/09energy.gif, and DS 06/11 babyboy.gif.

#13 of 37 Old 01-22-2010, 01:57 AM

Yes, I know I save a significant amount by baking our own whole wheat sandwich bread. I use a GREAT recipe, found on the back of the Bob's Red Mill whole wheat flour package. (which I stockpile when it's on sale twice a year). It's called something like "whole wheat bread for bread machines." I use my bread machine (purchased cheap off craigslist) for the dough cyle only. It mixes, kneads and does the first rise in the machine. Then I punch the dough down, put it in a loaf pan, let rise again, and bake in my oven. The whole process takes about 3 hours (mostly unattended) - I figure I spend less than 10 minutes of my time for super yummy, inexpensive 100% whole wheat bread that we all love for toast, sandwiches, etc. It even slices well! The least expensive ww bread that I can get at my local HFS (and Costco carries it, too) is still $4.00 a loaf.

Oh, and I buy most of the rest of the ingredients in bulk, including a huge box of powdered milk from Costco which lasts at least a year (which I also use as an ingredient in making homemade yogurt). Even the molasses and vital wheat gluten last a long time and can make lots of loaves before I need to buy more. So I guess what I'm saying is try not to be daunted by a few extra ingredients you might not normally have on hand, because it is definitely do-able.

Sorry so long winded, can you tell I love making my own bread?
#14 of 37 Old 01-22-2010, 02:13 AM

When I make our bread, yes I save money but no, it's not a lot. I figured once that it cost us about 50 cents less a loaf to make, which when you take into account the labor, that's not much. But on the other hand, there's no surprises in our bread (no hfcs, additives, etc.), we're not wasting yet another tie and baggie, and really, it just tastes better.
#15 of 37 Old 01-22-2010, 03:07 AM

You can really save a lot of money making your own bread once you get the hang of it. Once you can do a good sandwich loaf, you can move on to pizza dough, rolls, pitas, etc. To make a regular sandwich loaf it take 3.5 hour from start to finish, but hands on time is less the 30 minutes. If I were to recommend a beginner bread making guide it would definitely be the one from www.thefreshloaf.com. If you look along the top bar they will have a tab that says lessons. I have read through them and I think if I would have followed those lessons I could have saved myself a lot of time and frustration.

Sarah knit.gif married to Micah, mama to dd1 (9), dd2 (7) and ds (2). We love to homeschool.gif h20homebirth.gif goorganic.jpgchicken3.gif
#16 of 37 Old 01-22-2010, 03:28 AM

I think you can definitely save money by baking your own...you'll have a little bit of start up cost, of course, if you have to buy loaf pans or if you choose to buy a baking stone but I've found that overall, I've recouped these costs easily!

Me my DH 4.5 year old DS and who just arrived on the scene 6/10 Excited to be blogging! Decluttering in 2010: 2010 / 2010
#17 of 37 Old 01-22-2010, 03:45 AM

x2 on expanding to other bread products... I completely forgot to mention that although we don't save too much on bread, the homemade pizza crust is a different story! I can't imagine paying for a prepackaged pizza crust (or the packets you mix.. yuck!) when it is super simple. Definitely start with a simple recipe- IMO all you need for some really yummy bread is flour, a pinch of salt, water, yeast, a pinch of sugar, and a little olive oil. But as demonstrated by the Fresh Loaf site a PP mentioned, you can even reduce it from there. Also, using a starter culture for rustic loaves can reduce or eliminate your need to buy yeast, which is one of the more expensive ingredients in simple breadmaking
#18 of 37 Old 01-22-2010, 11:33 AM

It definitely does for us, because the store bread we buy (if we have to) is something like 3.29/loaf. (I won't eat junk bread.) I haven't done the math, but there is no earthly way the bread I make (usually just flour, water, yeast, and salt, though I make another version with a bit of oil and sugar) is anywhere close to that. Probably under $1 a loaf. We do eat more of it, but even so.

Recently I've been switching to no-knead bread and I do wonder about the cost of heating and preheating the oven so hot, but even so.

grateful mother to DD, 1/04, and DS, 2/08

#19 of 37 Old 01-22-2010, 11:59 AM - Thread Starter

Wow thanks everyone for all the ideas and info. i'm going to check out all the recipes and especially that website with the lessons!

I saved my "Christmas money" to use for start up costs on stuff like this to save money throughout the year so this could definitely work for us. Having a sandwich bread is the main thing we'd need so I'll have to figure that one out. I'm pretty excited with so many recommendations.

Also thanks for the reminder that the other huge benefit is knowing what's in my bread! Great point (and one I'll be using to sell my DH on lol...)

Me: married to my :fireman Mama to my littles: Toby 8/04 and Elina 10/08
#20 of 37 Old 01-22-2010, 02:07 PM

I know I save money baking bread, but honestly, it's one of my favorite hobbies and it feeds/nourishes my family. Having my DS1 excitedly say "Warm bread" as he digs out the honey and cut off a hearty hunk of bread is one of my favorite things.
#21 of 37 Old 01-22-2010, 07:29 PM

We saved some money over the years making our own bread (leftover oatmeal can go right into the dough ) and now we save A LOT by making our own. DD1 was diagnosed with celiac disease so she can't have any gluten... no wheat, barley, rye. No wheat germ, no extra gluten to add that great chewiness. Gluten free bread is often in the 6-7 dollar a loaf range. For a small loaf of not so yummy bread. Doing our own baking is much cheaper, even with the slightly more expensive flour we have to buy.

Please do explore different recipes and techniques... I know it's overwhelming at the start but homemade bread is so much better than store bought! And even a bread machine is going to bring your bread budget down.

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#22 of 37 Old 01-22-2010, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by springbride View Post
For those of you who have tried making tortillas, can you post a link or recipe? What about a good recipe for soup rolls?
TIA
This is my tried and true tortilla recipe just like my grandma makes. Im hispanic and "know" tortillas. I personally dont like store bought ones because they just dont taste right to me, probably all the perservatives.

flour tortilla recipe (1 dozen- stays about 1 week in fridge cooked/freezes fine)

3 C. unbleached Flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
4-6 tbsp vegetable shortening or lard
about 1 1/4 C warm water (NOT boiling)

mix dry ingred. in bowl. cut in shortening/lard until its crumbly. Slowly add the water so dough is soft (shouldnt be sticky). Knead dough for a few minutes. Seperate dough into 12 equal sized balls and let rest. This will cause the dough to get a little dry...you want that.

roll out each ball to a tortilla. Heat on a griddle or pan. It will only take a few seconds to cook on each side. Tortilla will have nice browned spots on them when that side is ready. DO not use a high heat, a small-medium heat will do.

** I use an iron griddle to heat them up but I have also used a larger chicken fryer type pan. These are super yummy with a dollop of butter. I also have a super yummy mexican rice recipe if anyone wants it.
#23 of 37 Old 01-22-2010, 07:49 PM

I totally cheat. I have a breadmaker and LOVE it. It saves us money but we are buying "gourmet" type breads. I am able to organic ingredients in bulk so that also helps plus we love bread so that dosent help.

On average if I were to buy a loaf it would be about anywhere from 3-6 dollars locally for what I get (organic bread/whole grains/fruits) basically not that cheap .50 bread with HFCS in it. So for "real bread" it has saved us a ton. Plus with our breadmaker I literally dumpt the ingredients in push a button (I even have a delay timer) and come back when its done (it even keeps it warm until were ready to eat it) I dont have the patience or "art" it takes to make oven type breads, i've tried. a special occassion/recipe sure but our day to day I liek our chubby squared loaves.
#24 of 37 Old 01-22-2010, 09:23 PM

Yes, I def save money since I was buying Ezekiel bread at $5 a loaf and now it costs me under $1 and that's w/ buying little 5# bags of flour. I do buy yeast in bulk from Frontier, that's a big savings, but I don't have anywhere to store tons of flour,wish I did.

Re: baking, my DH bought us an Oster breadmaker and I LOVE IT. It is so amazingly easy. I put in liquid, flours, salt/seasoning, sweetener, yeast, shut the lid, push a button and walk away. Amazing!!!! And then a timer beeps and I take out a warm loaf of deliciousness. It even has a delay timer that I set to wake up to fresh bread. Fabulous! I highly, highly recommend the purchase. I think it's already paid for itself. I've made wheat, white, sandwich, sweet, fruited, and rye and everything has turned out perfectly.

That's the downside--it's paid for itself because we now eat a lot of bread. DH thinks he's gained 5# since we bought it.
#25 of 37 Old 01-23-2010, 09:52 AM

We have a Zojirushi breadmaker so we're not exactly saving money but it turns out the light fluffy Japanese style white sandwich bread that we love and can't find in the stores where we live. DH sets the timer at night and the bread is ready by 7 am when we get up. We also get to control the ingredients that go into it so no high fructose corn syrup and bleached flour to worry about.
#26 of 37 Old 01-23-2010, 10:53 AM

I also have a bread machine and just buy bread mixes at the store. There are really good ones available here, too. I usually buy whole grain, multigrain or sunflower seed mixes for 0,65 €/kg and I get two loaves out of that. And I have yet to find such yummy bread at that price.

hide.gif Me 41, single mom to modifiedartist.gifdd 4/2001 and demon.gif ds 7/17/2010

#27 of 37 Old 01-23-2010, 02:31 PM

Yes we are saving money, & I'm using organic ingredients, which we can't afford in the store bought bread! Also there is no question what is in it! There are very few commercial breads that meet my standards, 100% whole wheat, no hfcs, no hydrogenated oils & relatively short ingredients list and at a reasonable price! So I just got back into making it again after falling out of the habit. Only thing is that we are eating it much quicker than we did the store bought stuff. I'm still hunting for some better bulk pricing, I think I'll get my costs down even more very soon!

Giving Love serves as a wonderful reminder that we already have an abundance of Love within, "it is in giving that we receive."
#28 of 37 Old 01-23-2010, 03:19 PM

I think I definitely save money making my own bread. But my bread doesn't have all kinds of expensive ingredients. It's flour, water, salt, fat, and sourdough starter. The fat is often butter or olive oil, or bacon drippings, or whatever else I have around. I can make it without the fat, but it doesn't taste as good. All I'm really buying for the bread is flour, since I have the salt and fat in the house anyway.

If you're eating bread that comes really cheap, like Wonder Bread or day-old bakery bread that sells at a discount, you probably won't save much. And if you bake with complicated recipes that use specialized ingredients, you likely won't save much unless you compare it to the really fancy packaged health breads or artisan bakery breads.

I make mine by hand. I can't afford a bread machine, and would have nowhere to keep it if I could. It takes me about 20 minutes in the afternoon to knead it, although lately DS has been doing part of the kneading , and then just the deflating and shaping and baking, which take no time at all, just a minute snatched here and there between other stuff.

I think it's harder if you're not home much, but there's ways around it like the PPs mentioned.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
#29 of 37 Old 01-23-2010, 06:54 PM

We like the multi grain and specialty grain breads around here and bought in a store runs around $3 a loaf, which lasts us 4-5 days. The bread is made somewhat locally, and contains what I would put in bread anyways, so in other words its pretty healthy.

I tried making my own, but by the time I bought all the special grains, seeds and took the time and effort to make the bread, it came out to roughly the same price but didn't taste the same. It dried out a lot faster and was a lot denser than the store bought bread.

For this reason, we prefer the store bought bread. We live in Canada though and things like hidden corn syrup isn't as big a thing here as it appears to be in the US.

Mama to Emma (7) and Sarah (5)

#30 of 37 Old 01-23-2010, 09:47 PM

I believe it would be much more cheaper. As much as I love baking I do not have the time. I have bought bread straight out of the oven at a bakery couple of times its very delicious. However I have to watch my budget so I buy at the supermarket. Its necessary in my house hold as I have to prepare snacks for my little girl when she goes to school and when she is hungry at home an needs something to munch on..

Worlds Best Mom

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page