What do you consider a good price for Borax and Washing Soda? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-23-2010, 06:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've used simply equal parts of borax and washing soda for laundry detergent, and have loved the results. Everything smelled fresh, but not smelly.

The only thing is the cost isn't much better than Arm and Hammer detergent, and its a hassle to find the washing soda (only place I know has it, is 45 min away where we used to live).

I see people post how cheap it is, and that they found an inexpensive source, but the only places I have seen both the washing soda and the borax, add up to a regular bottle of detergent...

So, I'm just wondering what IS a good price? And where do you get it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2010, 06:46 PM

Kristin, sahm to ds Avery (11-15-08) 3 raw fed
Old 01-23-2010, 10:08 PM

Around here, borax and washing soda would cost about the same as a bottle of detergent.

A bottle of detergent would be gone in a month while the box of borax and washing soda will last us close to a year.

1 bar grated soap
1 cup borax
1 cup washing soda

I use 1 tbsp per load.

Quick math would be that one batch is about ~700ml/15ml per tbsp, about 45 loads?

Not sure how many cups are in a box of each and the price of the soap would depend on the type you use.

Anyway, for us, it's definitely cheaper.
Old 01-23-2010, 10:10 PM

Sorry I can't help you on price/where to find. I can't remember the price and my regular grocery store used to carry the washing soda but no longer does. I have a backup box so still a long while from needing a new source
Old 01-23-2010, 11:18 PM

Borax is at walmart for under $3.00/ box. Was unable to get washing soda locally so I ordered a case off Amazon with free shipping a few years ago. Amazon was cheaper than Soaps Gone Buy. I make a big batch 2-3 times a year. This is mine:

4 bars Fels Naptha....our healthfood store started carrying this for $1.25/ bar
4 cups washing soda
4 cups borax....walmart $2.67
I use 2 tablespoons/ wash...I use an old koolaid scoop.

praying.gif Angela married to DHsuperhero.gif......DDguitar.gif age 7 , DDblowkiss.gif age 5 ,  DSsleepytime.gif age 4 and sadly 2 angel.gif  in heaven, Catholic and ribbonwhite.gif with a dash of crunch: hang.gif    chicken3.gif  homeschool.gif

Old 01-24-2010, 03:04 PM

Does anyone use this mixture in a front loading machine? I am just wondering if it still works well. We have some problems sometimes of clothes not really coming clean...wondering if this would help. I am very interested in making my own detergent. I hate buying it.

Mama to 14yo, 9yo, 7yo, and babe born 9/2012
Old 01-24-2010, 03:24 PM

I use it In a front loader. I put he powder in, run some hot water through the thingy and run.
Old 01-25-2010, 12:34 AM

I'm so glad I can share this information. ACE HARDWARE online sells washing soda for ~3.50/box and will deliver it to your local ace for free, no shipping charges. I spent 2 weeks looking for it in the bay area and did not find it anywhere, and I didn't want to pay shipping charges out the roof!

Julia, mama to Bumpa 2008, and The Mole 2011

Old 01-25-2010, 03:44 AM

Thanks for that info goldingoddess! Now I just have to find a source for a single bar of fels-naptha so I can give this whole thing a try!

Me my DH 4.5 year old DS and who just arrived on the scene 6/10 Excited to be blogging! Decluttering in 2010: 2010 / 2010
Old 01-25-2010, 05:47 AM

Washing soda is just sodium carbonate. Go to any hardware store/pool store and look for a product called Ph Plus or something similar. Look at the ingredients. If it's 100% sodium carbonate, it's washing soda. Inexpensive and always available!

ETA: You don't need fels naptha. Any old soap will do: Ivory, Irish Spring, etc. If you can't find fels naptha and want a 'laundry specific' soap, go for Zote. Walmart usually carries it, as does Big lots. Any hispanic store will carry it as well.

Ami

Wife to dh, Mommy to my heavenly angel, J (06), and my earthly angels, S (07) and E (10)

Old 01-25-2010, 07:20 AM

For the longest time, the best price I could get for baking soda at any of our regular stores was a dollar a pound- even on sale! Then finally I got into a Sam's Club and the 12 pound bags were only $5 or so. Borax it's been so long I don't remember... high COL area here so probably wouldn't be helpful anyway.
Old 01-25-2010, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter

Ah! I was using too much. Less than detergent, but definitely more than a tablespoon or two... Duh.

Thanks, mommas.

User Tag List