S/O--where are breadmakers storing your flour? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-25-2010, 12:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
From the bread making thread, how are you breadmakers storing 25# bags of flour? Are you putting smaller amounts in a cannister or whatever, how are you keeping bugs out of the big bag...? I'd love to stop buying weenie 5# bags but don't know how/where to store it, esp since my freezer is full.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2010, 12:55 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We have large buckets with tight fitting lids for the wheat & flour & sugar. It is then put in the basement. Then we have smaller canisters in the kitchen we fill from those.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

Old 01-25-2010, 02:08 AM

Clean 5 gallon paint buckets here. One I bought brand new unused from walmart, the other two I got off my dad and cleaned with bleach and hot soapy water and will line with a trash bag. Not the best in the world but I am doing what I can until I can afford more brand new buckets
Old 01-25-2010, 02:26 AM

I have a bunch of the huge pickle jars from costco that I fill up with the flour after I freeze it for a day.
Old 01-25-2010, 02:30 AM

We have an extra fridge in the garage for soda and overflows, and I use that. LOL it's a 3 part process really - I fill up the glass canister if needed, then fill up a 2 qt plastic container (like a rubbermaid cereal container I already had around) and keep that in the freezer in the kitchen. The rest gets put in the extra fridge (it's a lot colder than normal, so no worries). LOL I guess since we moved and our garage isn't heated we could just leave it in a container out there - it was cold enough a couple weeks ago that our sodas were frozen!
Old 01-25-2010, 02:34 AM

I have a big glass jar that I keep in the kitchen and fill from the food grade buckets in the garage.

DS: 18 DD: 15 DD: 8  angel1.gif 11/10  angel1.gif 4/11
  adoptionheart-1.gifDD: 3  angel1.gif 8/11

Old 01-25-2010, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaitnbugsmom View Post
Clean 5 gallon paint buckets here. One I bought brand new unused from walmart, the other two I got off my dad and cleaned with bleach and hot soapy water and will line with a trash bag. Not the best in the world but I am doing what I can until I can afford more brand new buckets
Go to any bakery or grocery store with bakery and ask if they'd be willing to give you their empty frosting/filling buckets. Even if one place says no, there are others that will give it to you for free. Food safe, all you need to do is clean them.

Ami

Wife to dh, Mommy to my heavenly angel, J (06), and my earthly angels, S (07) and E (10)

Old 01-25-2010, 11:39 AM

I buy 20lb bags of flour and oats and store them in old gallon glass pickle jars my MIL gets from the retirement home she works at. I store them in the basement on shelves, it's cold down there.
Old 01-25-2010, 05:15 PM

I have an old small freezer in the back porch. It doesn't run consistently so I use it for storage. I keep large bags of white sugar, brown sugar, white and WW flour and rolled oats in there. For convenience, I fill 5gal food grade buckets that are stored in the kitchen from the large bags. This way when the bag runs out, I still have the bucket as a buffer before I run out completely. And the kids use the buckets for everything - step stools, trains, chairs... Less than ideal, but my pantry isn't finished so they will continue to float around the kitchen until further notice.

DH and I - totally winging life with our four children, DS1 (6.5yrs), DS2 (5yrs), DD (3yrs) and DS3 (1)!

Old 01-25-2010, 08:41 PM

Yes, please if you're going to store the flour in buckets buy FOOD GRADE buckets.

I keep my wheat in food grade 5 gallon plastic buckets with gamma seals in my basement. When I'm running low on flour, I grind a small amount at a time and put that in a cannister in the kitchen.

New signature, same old me: Ann- mama of 2 boys and 2 girls, partnered to a fabulous man.
I'm an unintentional weasel feeder and I suck at proofreading.
Old 01-26-2010, 12:17 AM

Nm
Old 01-26-2010, 12:00 PM

I have big clear containers we got from a restaraunt supply. They have nice tight fitting lids.

Anne, Mama to Conner 2/27/04 blahblah.gif  Gabrielle 2/6/06 W/LMC-TCS, Neurogenic Bladder, AFO & KAFO wearer, Neurogenic Bowel energy.gif & Delaney 5/12/08 mischievous.gif &  Beethoven cat.gif& Gizmo cat.gif

Old 01-26-2010, 01:05 PM

I have a big plastic crock type thing with a really good lid. It'll hold 25 pounds of flour (or sugar) and the rest I keep in the freezer.

User Tag List