My Year of Grocery Shopping - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 01-26-2010, 12:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Last year (2009) I saved every single receipt from the grocery store. I didn't really have a plan in mind, just thought I'd tally my spending and see how much I spent for the year.

I fed 3 kids (ages 6,5,2) and myself full time last year, and an adult male most of the time.

This is just my grocery spending, as I didn't track all food spending (eating out, starbucks, etc)

I spent 5277.58 for the full year
101.50 a week

I saved 276.16 using coupons and my shoppers club card

This year we will be eating out far less. We cut back as the year progressed, I had a few tough years as a single mom. Now we get our favorite Mexican take out EO Tuesday ($15 for all of us). Sometimes we get breakfast on Sunday at our favorite diner ($25, once a month or less) I sometimes get a coffee at Starbucks.

I think I did well with the groceries, but I'd still like to cut it back a bit or at least keep it the same this year with less eating out - maybe try to save more with coupons.

$100 a week isn't too bad for 5 people right?

shamrocksmile.gifAmber SAHM Fiber Artist Mom to:knit.gif
Maddison (9): Arwen (8): Finn (4): Aedan (2)

stork-suprise.gif Sept 2012

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 01-26-2010, 01:12 AM

good job Sure there are ways to cut it down more, but I'd say that's pretty darn good! At least compared to me

Christian SAHM & birth doula.
#3 of 11 Old 01-26-2010, 01:22 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I think you did good!

treehugger.gifearth.gifribbonwhite.gif Anne (31), single WOHM to Karen (5)ribbonyellow.gifshamrocksmile.giffambedsingle1.gifjoy.gif
#4 of 11 Old 01-26-2010, 03:41 AM

Cool! I'll play. We spent $2354.23 CAD on groceries and $198.40 on eating out in 2009. That doesn't include any pet food or household goods, just food. There are two adults and no kids eating.

Mommy to  N baby.gif, born 2/20/12.

#5 of 11 Old 01-26-2010, 03:54 AM

In 2009, I spent $6927.99 on food. This includes all food to be eaten at home, purchased from the grocery store, warehouse stores, farmers markets and direct from farmer. This does not include any food purchased at a resteraunt, alcohol, or household items (such as cleaners or toiletries that might be purchased at the grocery store). I have a family of six- two adults and four elementary-aged children. I try to find a good balance between being frugally and eating well.

This breaks down to
$577.33/ month
$133.23/ week
$18.98/ day

New signature, same old me: Ann- mama of 2 boys and 2 girls, partnered to a fabulous man.
I'm an unintentional weasel feeder and I suck at proofreading.
#6 of 11 Old 01-26-2010, 03:59 AM

I also want to add that it looks like we spent similar amounts on groceries last year. I know that I probably COULD cut down on my budget, and you probably could as well. But if I did, it would probably mean that we'd be eating fewer things that we enjoy.

And as for eating out, that's one of our big indulgences. We spent $3429 on eating out last year. Most of that was spent on our date nights or going out with friends. We'd rather stretch our eating out budget on REALLY good food for me and DH rather than take the kids along to a mediocre resteraunt. :

New signature, same old me: Ann- mama of 2 boys and 2 girls, partnered to a fabulous man.
I'm an unintentional weasel feeder and I suck at proofreading.
#7 of 11 Old 01-26-2010, 11:00 AM

100 a week is a good amount. Well done!

I am trying to get mine to 75 a week or less but even with being fairly creative and eating what we already have, I needed to stock up on pasta (dd's fave), rice and frozen veggies.

Dh pays for any foods we pick up or eat out, so no idea what he has spent. We have individual money, and shared money. I imagine that it would rather scary to see...Dh was raised on eating out, his Mom worked in the city, so, while dh appreciate my cooking, he loves to eat out. Our agreement was that he had to pay for it out of his money. If we stopped eating out, he could easily save 300 a month, i bet.

Maybe I will ask him to save his receipts for the next 6 months...might be very helpful to us.

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

#8 of 11 Old 01-26-2010, 11:34 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Huh. I was really dreading going back to look at this number, but, in 2009 for my household of two adults, two kiddos and a baby, we spent:

$6841 on groceries
$2550 on eating out (everything from Mickey-Ds to special anniversary dinner)

Not awesome. We can do better. But I really thought it might be worse...
#9 of 11 Old 01-26-2010, 06:47 PM

It's very good! I think tracking it is an excellent idea. I have recently started tracking our grocery spending, and my goal is to spend $400 a month for our family of four. I don't know how well I'll do--I'm in Canada where prices are higher, and there is nothing like an Aldi around here. But I'm getting serious about making and using a price book and I think I'l reach my goal, especially because we have a summer garden and have decreased our meat intake.
#10 of 11 Old 01-27-2010, 01:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeress View Post
100 a week is a good amount. Well done!

I am trying to get mine to 75 a week or less but even with being fairly creative and eating what we already have, I needed to stock up on pasta (dd's fave), rice and frozen veggies.

Dh pays for any foods we pick up or eat out, so no idea what he has spent. We have individual money, and shared money. I imagine that it would rather scary to see...Dh was raised on eating out, his Mom worked in the city, so, while dh appreciate my cooking, he loves to eat out. Our agreement was that he had to pay for it out of his money. If we stopped eating out, he could easily save 300 a month, i bet.

Maybe I will ask him to save his receipts for the next 6 months...might be very helpful to us.
DP grew up in NYC and was a bachelor for a very long time, he's tired of eating out It's kind of a bummer for me, since I'd like to go out to a nice dinner once in a while.

#11 of 11 Old 01-27-2010, 01:41 AM - Thread Starter

Gosh, I didn't track any eating out or snacks I picked up at the gas station or zoo. I'll have to do that this year. I wonder what we spent eating out now.

Thanks for all the 'high-fives'! I know I could cut our spending back a bit more, I sometimes wonder if it would be worth my time though.

To track my grocery spending - I just put all the receipts in a large plastic baggy in a desk drawer. When I got home from the store I just threw the receipts in the bag. Some of my spending was on household items - but not much. I buy them elsewhere since they are more expensive at the grocery store - BUT there were some on there. I was shocked to see that I bought at least 30 reuseable grocery bags ($1 each) over the course of the year. My MIL likes them so I gave her a bunch, and DP took some too....

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page