Help with stocking up, and also clothing... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 01-27-2010, 08:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Edited.

Christ-centered loving wife & mama to 2 unschooled miracles! One & one . We live simply and mindfully. Expecting another blessing Feb 2015 Praying for another
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 01-27-2010, 09:45 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Vicki- Homeschooling Mama to 4 girls
#3 of 11 Old 01-27-2010, 09:50 PM

clearance/overstocks at lands end and llbean!! awesome prices and those things last.for.ever. bbl

amanda... lovin' my dh since 2004 and mama to dd (3), ds (18 months) and expecting someone new Oct 2010.
#4 of 11 Old 01-27-2010, 09:54 PM

for food...i would go with pantry items that you actually eat. pasta and sauce is an inexpensive option. dried beans. do you have freezer space? stocking up on meat when its on sale is a great $$ saver. also, spices, salt/pepper, sugar, condiments...those can be expensive when you need several in 1 shopping trip.

amanda... lovin' my dh since 2004 and mama to dd (3), ds (18 months) and expecting someone new Oct 2010.
#5 of 11 Old 01-28-2010, 09:34 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
As far as stocking up on food goes, buy what you like to eat. But rather than just go out and spend$200 on food to stock pile, leave the $200 in the bank (hopefully earning some interest) and wait for what you want to go on sale - then take your money and buy what you want to stockpile. Also if you did lose your job you might be eligible for food stamps and the $200 might be needed for a car repair. That said, I am a big believer in an emergency food supply but do try to get some rock bottom prices. Essentials like pasta and canned tomatoes and oats, etc., go on sale at awesome prices regularly.

Clothes - you need to decide exactly what you need and then look for the item when it goes on sale or even better when you can get it at the thrift store or a yard sale. Make a list of what you think you really need and then hang on to your money until you can find what you want at a great price. End of season sales, maybe. I had a new winter coat for my dd on my list because her old one was pretty ratty and will be too small next year. I waited for ll bean's end of season sale and found a very nice jacket for 50% off . (I actually paid for it with a gift card from when I returned a pair of brand new (with tags) pair of kids snow shoes that I bought at a yard sale for $1. So her brand new coat essentially cost $1. )

I think that learning to cast your thoughts into the near and distant future is very helpful when stockpiling. Learn to anticipate next year, next season, etc. I will actually stockpile kids clothes up to 5 years in advance and then I built up a big collection of clothes at rock bottom yard sale prices. When the time comes that they fit, I can just fill in the gaps with new purchases.

After a while, you won't even need to think about these things anymore. You just do it, just like washing the dishes every night. Sometimes stockpiling can be a big money sink or worse, a big money toilet. That happens when you stockpile things you could have lived without or that don't get used or that could have been purchased much, much cheaper.

Good luck and enjoy your tax refund!
#6 of 11 Old 01-28-2010, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmsMom View Post

After a while, you won't even need to think about these things anymore. You just do it, just like washing the dishes every night. Sometimes stockpiling can be a big money sink or worse, a big money toilet. That happens when you stockpile things you could have lived without or that don't get used or that could have been purchased much, much cheaper.
Very wise! I think I've recently fallen into that "money toilet" scenario
I think I need to make a list of the things that we actually use/eat and stockpile only those things when I see them on sale....

Married to my sweetie and enjoying life with our fabulous dog.  Expecting #1 in August 2012!!!!

#7 of 11 Old 01-28-2010, 01:07 PM

Keep an eye out for sales at your favorite stores right now. This is the time that they will start marking down winter things. Check sites like slickdeals.net for coupons or sales that others have found. Gap and Old Navy have had some really good sales lately.

I agree with the pp about stocking up on food at rock bottom prices on food that you will eat. Wait for sales and coupons, then pick up a bunch of the essentials.
#8 of 11 Old 01-28-2010, 01:26 PM

(For Clothing) I shop at thrift stores a lot too, and what I find is that it's much easier to find tops that fit well and much harder to find pants. For casual clothing that will "stand the test of time" I would purchase a nice pair of jeans, a pair of khakis and either some black dress pants or a skirt (for slightly more dressy things like a dinner out or a church event).... wardrobe basics like that.

dog2.gifcrochetsmilie.gif Lovin' my sweetheart, pregnant with #1 (EDD Feb.2013) stork-suprise.gif

#9 of 11 Old 01-28-2010, 01:47 PM

If you live in a place with a Lane Bryant, sign up for their mailing lists. They frequently send out coupons. I don't shop there often (I'm always pregnant!), and I get $15 off $15 purchase coupons to entice me in.

When I shopped there more regularly, I used to get $25 off $75 coupons. They run decent sales/clearance, and coupled with the coupons, you can get pretty good prices there (for plus size).

I live in a metro area with several Macy's. One of those stores has a better plus size selection than the others. At the end of the season, I can often find things on clearance there, too. Not every store around here has a decent plus size selection, so if you have several stores to choose from, you might want to check them all out.
#10 of 11 Old 01-28-2010, 06:13 PM

For quality casual clothing in plus sizes I love Land's End!

I have some shirts I bought over 10 years ago, wear weekly, and they're just now starting to show wear.

As for stocking up on food, we only stock up on foods we eat on a regular basis.

Some ideas that work for our family:

- rice
- wheat berries
- dried beans
- olive oil
- bottled fruit juice
- dried fruit
- baking staples (baking powder, yeast, baking soda, etc)
#11 of 11 Old 01-28-2010, 06:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Thank you so much for your input! I am going to check out Land's End, I have heard very good things about them. Also, I kind of want to stock up because I fear that if the money is just sitting there, it will get spent : . I am very frugal as it is, and am a responsible spender, but on the other hand I feel like money sometimes trickles out with little insignificant purchases if it is not dedicated for something in particular.

Thanks for the suggestion and ideas!

Christ-centered loving wife & mama to 2 unschooled miracles! One & one . We live simply and mindfully. Expecting another blessing Feb 2015 Praying for another

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page