Getting Out of Debt, Feb 2010 Edition - Page 4 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#91 of 118 Old 02-24-2010, 12:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I can't look at FB from this computer, Laurie, so I will have to look at it later, can't wait to see it though!

I was wondering if anyone in this group had tried using some kind of on-line budgeting software, such as: www.youneedabudget.com . Dp found it last night & sent it to me. It looks very interesting & very Dave Ramsey-ish, but I'm balking a bit at the price $59.95. Does anyone have experience with this or with something similar (and free!). TIA!
#92 of 118 Old 02-24-2010, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eirual View Post
I don't want to bother with uploading more photos of our kitchen reno. I'll link to my FB album and leave it up for a day or two and hope it works without crazy stalkers! lol

http://www.facebook.com/#!/album.php...6&id=509269939

Grand total: $1,800 (can't complain about that!)
wow, what a difference!! and on an amazing budget, good job!!
#93 of 118 Old 02-24-2010, 04:17 PM

Very nice, eirual!

Ugh, I just put $330 on my cc after getting it down from $2k last year to $500 last month. It was for my 17 year old step son's class ring. Dh has 3 older kids, 18 years, 23 and 24 years. They didn't want a ring when it was their turn. 17 year old is slightly autistic but doing well in school so we are pleased to be able to do this for him. He and his younger sister stay with us part time. She wants a ring, too, but she just turned 12 so we have a ways to go with her yet

Anyway, this is my plan: We have $1,700 in our ER and I'm going to transfer the $330 out from there to pay that portion of the cc. So we'll be back down to $500 left on it and still have about $1,400 left in ER. I think that's workable.
#94 of 118 Old 02-24-2010, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eirual View Post
I don't want to bother with uploading more photos of our kitchen reno. I'll link to my FB album and leave it up for a day or two and hope it works without crazy stalkers! lol

http://www.facebook.com/#!/album.php...6&id=509269939

Grand total: $1,800 (can't complain about that!)
Congrats, that looks great and what an amazing price - I'm sure it increased the value of your home by much more than the $1,800 you spent!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by proudmamanow View Post
I can't look at FB from this computer, Laurie, so I will have to look at it later, can't wait to see it though!

I was wondering if anyone in this group had tried using some kind of on-line budgeting software, such as: www.youneedabudget.com . Dp found it last night & sent it to me. It looks very interesting & very Dave Ramsey-ish, but I'm balking a bit at the price $59.95. Does anyone have experience with this or with something similar (and free!). TIA!
I don't have any personal experience with it but I read the mytmmo.com forums and there are a lot of fans of the product there. I use Quicken and Excel for my budget process.

So we have the air conditioner company installing our unit today. The price was a little more than I'd budgeted for so we dipped into one of the May sinking funds to cover the extra. We still have a few months to get that May fund back up to 100% so I'm OK with it but I do have to say it feels good to know that we are cash flowing this whereas a year ago we'd have done the "no interest no payments for 12 months" thing...then probably have forgotten to pay it off in 12 months.
#95 of 118 Old 02-24-2010, 07:27 PM

I am just feeling very 'bleh' right now. We have been doing pretty good with following the budget, but I don't know. I don't feel like I have the 'right' to complain about it. I keep telling myself that I really have a very nice life, I just need to stop thinking about money so much and all will be fine.

I mean really, we have no debt except for the mortgage that we are paying extra each month on, send almost 15% (post tax % at that) to retirement, have a FFEF, just got a new to us boat that we paid cash for . . . see what I mean, doesn't this sound great?

Except, I have 122 dollars in my account that is supposed to last me till the end of the month, no gas in my car, and a weekend where we want to move the boat, and we are going to have to spend about 70 in gas. Oh, and did I mention that I need to go grocery shopping or all we will be eating is beans and potatoes, without rice, and I will have 3 unhappy complainers on my hands.

Sorry, I just want to complain. I mean, I know that everything is going to be ok. That we are expecting some money to hit out account today or tomorrow, and that if we stoped 'paying ourselves first' this would not even be a concern.

But it just kills me that by MANY standards we are 'rich' and yet I feel so 'poor'. And I am hoping that I am not offending anyone by posting this, that is not my intention at all.

Go Green I don't vax either, why mess with perfect?
#96 of 118 Old 02-25-2010, 10:47 AM

:

Making it all work out can be hard, and sometimes timing just doesn't work out right. Maybe you can sell something you no longer need or find a way to make some quick cash so you can treat yourself? Otherwise be happy you own those beans and aren't borrowing roast beef.

Find something to keep you content until all the pieces come together.

ETA: or maybe you want to hold off on moving the boat so you can budget for the extra gas and use what money you have for something you're hearts in? otherwise if moving the boat is so important to you, then focus on that and the fact that you have the means to do so.

Laurie, wife to guitar.gifDH (Aug/04), mom tobikenew.gifDS1 (Nov/05) and bfinfant.gifDS2 (June/12).

#97 of 118 Old 02-25-2010, 11:49 AM

McsMom, I feel that way sometimes. We are rich in comparison, too, but it's all relative, isn't it? We are absolutely fine at the moment, paying down very manageable debt, a growing ER fund, a few K coming our way soon to help even more with the debt, enough food, healthy family and we both still have our jobs. But sometimes, the "is this all there is to it?" syndrome rears its ugly head and feelings of ungratefulness arise. But I have to remind myself of all I really have and that I am blessed.

It will work out for you! eirual has given some great tips.
#98 of 118 Old 02-25-2010, 01:18 PM

MCs mom - I totally feel ya. For me, it's like, ok do I really need to sacrifice THIS much if we are out of debt/doing fine? I think this is where that fine balance comes in between having occasional treats/not feeling deprived and not being totally spend thrift either. Not sure how to get there yet though!

DS 7 ~ DS 3

#99 of 118 Old 02-25-2010, 06:17 PM

my auto insurance deductable finally dropped a bit, I am saving about $10 a month with the higher deductable.
#100 of 118 Old 02-25-2010, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody'smomma View Post
MCs mom - I totally feel ya. For me, it's like, ok do I really need to sacrifice THIS much if we are out of debt/doing fine?
This is how I feel a lot of time too. And I feel like it is going to be for the rest of my life :-( I mean really. Kind of like it is this dirty little secret that no one acknowledges, even after getting out of debt, there is still a budget. And I certainly don't want to rain on anyone's parade. It is a huge relief to not have any kind of debt payments and know that we are slowly building the money to do the things that we want to do in sinking funds, it is wonderful.

Quote:
I think this is where that fine balance comes in between having occasional treats/not feeling deprived and not being totally spend thrift either. Not sure how to get there yet though!

Well if you ever figure out, please post!!!!

Go Green I don't vax either, why mess with perfect?
#101 of 118 Old 02-26-2010, 12:33 PM

A little update on us.

Thanks to our money we let uncle sam barrow have our car paid down to $300. We though owe over $300 to our city tax So we are less then $2000 till BS#3

We have filed our long term home buyer credit so we will have that and it should make our FFEF almost complete by the time we get it in 6 months or so LOL
#102 of 118 Old 02-26-2010, 01:28 PM

Eiural - awesome!! I hope to redo our kitchen soon. Did you get new cabinets? I can't remember from the pics.

I am looking into lowering my car insurance. I had switched several months ago and then they upped it on me by like $40 a month! It's not like I got a ticket or anything.

I just signed up for mint.com and spent an untold amount of time on there yesterday. FREAKING AWESOME. Don't know why I didn't do that sooner. I think I was wary of giving my banking info, but it is such an awesome way to see what we spend. I did poorly with the cash envelope system cause I still couldn't track very well were my money went, I just knew I wasn't spending over xxx $ a month overall. Now I can see all my categories neatly! I was doing it on excel but it was hard to keep up with. I'm excited ( not really) to go back a couple of months and see how we were doing.

DS 7 ~ DS 3

#103 of 118 Old 02-26-2010, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by p1gg1e View Post
A little update on us.

Thanks to our money we let uncle sam barrow have our car paid down to $300. We though owe over $300 to our city tax So we are less then $2000 till BS#3

We have filed our long term home buyer credit so we will have that and it should make our FFEF almost complete by the time we get it in 6 months or so LOL
Congrats!! That is fantastic news!!
#104 of 118 Old 02-26-2010, 03:28 PM

Just popping in to report that Murphy has reared his ugly head and we have serious car issues.

Apparently either a head gasket or the head is cracked and I'm looking at possibly 1400 in work for the car.

UGH - we have an emergency fund & a car fund, but right now I'm wondering if its wise to sink 1400 into a car with a trade in value that's less than $500.

Thoughts and ideas are very welcomed.

ETA: We are a 2-car household and my husbands is running fine currently, so this is my car I use for work and other outings.

treehugger.gifAnd you who seek to know Me, know that the seeking and yearning will avail you not, unless you know the Mystery: for if that which you seek, you find not within yourself, you will never find it without.treehugger.gif

#105 of 118 Old 02-26-2010, 03:53 PM

Do you have a payment on the car? I probably wouldn't put $1400 into a $500 car, I'd take that money and buy a $1000-$1400 car.
#106 of 118 Old 02-26-2010, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyTwoAs View Post
Do you have a payment on the car? I probably wouldn't put $1400 into a $500 car, I'd take that money and buy a $1000-$1400 car.
No we don't have payments on either car, we own them outright. We're weighing that vs. just operating as a 1-car house for a bit.

treehugger.gifAnd you who seek to know Me, know that the seeking and yearning will avail you not, unless you know the Mystery: for if that which you seek, you find not within yourself, you will never find it without.treehugger.gif

#107 of 118 Old 02-26-2010, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _ktg_ View Post
No we don't have payments on either car, we own them outright. We're weighing that vs. just operating as a 1-car house for a bit.
Well that's good news then! I'd probably try the 1-car house for awhile and see how it goes - if it is feasible with your work schedules, etc.
#108 of 118 Old 02-27-2010, 01:28 AM
PPK

Does it have high mileage? Have you replaced alot of major parts already?

I would think buying anything for $1500 would also come with its share of near-furture issues, so its hard to say (although I once bought car for 800 and it lasted for years with hardly a problem).

I tend to feel trapped when I don't have a vehicle, so for me it'd be for sanity's sake to have a car available.
#109 of 118 Old 02-27-2010, 01:35 AM
PPK

Its good to hear about all you ladies' progress!

I'm one minor cc away ($300) from BS#3, and can probably do it on March 1st.

I just did my taxes though and owe 4k; I don't know if I should consider that debt. I don't think so, as it'll be paid by April 15th and I've set most aside for it already.
#110 of 118 Old 02-27-2010, 09:45 AM

Well we need to get out of debt even more. DH just found out that his contract is not being renewed as of now and we do not have his income anymore. I have promised myself not to panic. I am almost completed our EF which I am funding through the child care benefit. Unfortunately with just my salary we will not have enough money to cover all of the debts so we are prioritizing. The ones which will be left behind are student loans not more important things. I have a refund coming for taxes which will help.

Mama to two loqacious and bouncy boys.
#111 of 118 Old 02-27-2010, 04:12 PM - Thread Starter
mtm

eirual, love the kitchen!

MCsMom, you sound like me last month, full of blahs. What about taking a break from the worrying and upping your blow for a bit? I've see a couple of threads about this on llnoe so do know you're not alone in the upper steps and still living on a budget.

p1gg1e , it will be so nice to see you hit bs3, you've worked so hard!

cody'smomma, thanks for the tip on mint, I've read good r eviews of it.

_ktg_, yuck to car repairs. Does your mechanic think repair or replace? If you have a trusted mechanic maybe they can help with the worth it to fix or not debate.

PPK. woohoo! I'll be cheering for you as you throw your last bs2 snowball.

Go read Annettemarie's thread everyone, she's had a big success too, you ladies are on fire this month!

mamatowill, yikes, I hope your dh fonds something quickly. Don't panic and make your plan.
#112 of 118 Old 02-27-2010, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody'smomma View Post
Eiural - awesome!! I hope to redo our kitchen soon. Did you get new cabinets? I can't remember from the pics.

Thanks

Those are new to us cabinets. My FIL does insurance and those cabinets came from a house fire (in a basement). We sealed them and painted them. That's part of the reason our final total was so low and why we did the reno when we did. We came into free cabinetry and decided now was the time. We doubled our storage, got a better layout, and really brightened it up.

Laurie, wife to guitar.gifDH (Aug/04), mom tobikenew.gifDS1 (Nov/05) and bfinfant.gifDS2 (June/12).

#113 of 118 Old 02-27-2010, 10:27 PM

RE: the car. I'd fix it. If that's all your car needs to work, it's worth it IMP (instead of spending it on a $1,500 that may need even more work in the near future or come with a bunch of other unknowns).

#114 of 118 Old 03-01-2010, 02:19 PM

Thanks everyone for the suggestions re: the car. We're still hemming & hawing over here on it, and it seems like we're seriously considering just being a 1-car house and for my upcoming birthday I will be getting a bike and gear to start commuting to work that way.

I live only 5mi away so really maybe this is a sign I need to get off my tookus and ride!

The savings would be the following:
$75 gas/monthly
$150/year for insurance
*health benefits = endless!*

#115 of 118 Old 03-01-2010, 02:59 PM

Hi Ktg, good luck with the one-car thing. We dropped our 2nd car before Christmas & I haven't honestly missed it except for maybe once. I commute by bus and will also be biking when it's a bit warmer
I only wish we had found Dave Ramsey when we sold our car, then maybe we would have used the $2000 on paying down debt instead of spending at Christmas!

Sigh. We have started the slightly intimidating pre-step budgeting process. It feels really good, in a dumping cold water on your head sort of way, to actually finally be budgeting realistically. We made a huge list of all the big extras we know we have to spend on this year...which is the source of our debt and our problems (things like tax bills, Christmas, birhtday gifts for girls, girls activities etc.). It feels good to stare all this hidden stuff in the face, though we're sort of panicking about starting this off Wednesday (my next payday) and still dealing with two birthdays in the next two months...we love parties and our older dd wants to be a party planner so parties are kind of a big deal for us. We do always do them at our house & make the food & do homemade crafts & games, but it can still get $$$.
So how do we deal with big expenses we know are coming soon when we haven't had time to plan for them? I want to be following the planning to spend system someone outlined (and that is outlined in TMMO which I got from the library) but it's hard when dd2's birthday is in 4 weeks, I can't really put much aside for that.

Enough whining though, I am feeling really really good about once and for all getting this stuff under control. I feel like if we dedicate ourselves to steps one two and three then my dreams of going back to school and/or finding different work will actually be achievable....
#116 of 118 Old 03-01-2010, 06:14 PM

So we just got back $874 in refunds from our medical & dental benefits package. So that puts us a very long way towards building up our emergency fund, which is very encouraging!
#117 of 118 Old 03-01-2010, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by proudmamanow View Post
So we just got back $874 in refunds from our medical & dental benefits package. So that puts us a very long way towards building up our emergency fund, which is very encouraging!
That's fantastic!

As far as the birthday party my opinion is whatever you've saved is what you use (even though it won't be much since it's only four weeks away). You cannot allow yourself an excuse to spend money you don't have. So this year, that party might have to be scaled back and done more frugally. Next year, when you have more money, you have a pricier party. I just don't see any way around that.

edit to add: depending on dd's age, you can include her in the planning. I give my oldest the budget and we figure out together what we want to spend it on. That way he has a say in cutting back here to spend more there etc. Especially if she is interested in party planning, this could be very fun for her! It might be eye opening to see what is very important to her and what she is willing to cut out completely.
#118 of 118 Old 03-02-2010, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _ktg_ View Post
Thanks everyone for the suggestions re: the car. We're still hemming & hawing over here on it, and it seems like we're seriously considering just being a 1-car house and for my upcoming birthday I will be getting a bike and gear to start commuting to work that way.
*health benefits = endless!*
I like that option even MORE!! If you can get away with it, go for it!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page