February No-Spend Challenge - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-01-2010, 04:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
This post copied from Crunchy*VT*Mom with permission

This is a support thread to help you ~not spend your money~.

Everyone is welcome to join and you can start tracking your spending at any time. It doesn't have to be January 1st.

The plan is simple (although tough to execute):

1. Vow not to spend any money on unnecessary purchases.

2. Come on here everyday and record your spending.

We all record our spending in different ways. There are no rules. You record and update however you would like -- pick a way that will help you spend the least amount of money.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Please write an introductory message when you decide to join our thread. We would like to know:

a. Who you are

b. Where you are going (your financial goals) and

c. How you plan to get there

Good luck MDCers!! Keep that money in your wallet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2010, 04:12 PM - Thread Starter

A. Hi! I'm Smithie, homeschooling SAHM to 3 kiddos

B. We have lots of big financial plans/dreams for 2010 (adoption, pay down mortgage, institute automated savings plan, save for Disneyworld).

C. Well, the fundamental premise is to finish in the black every month even after the the mortgage pay-down, and to save in some months for the adoption-related and vacation expenses. My stretch goal for February, a month where we have no huge bills coming in, is to save $1000 beyond our standard $200 savings and $700 mortgage pay-down.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 02-01-2010, 04:46 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I need to be in this month. BBL with my info.

Jenny, proud maker of red things
Old 02-01-2010, 04:57 PM

a) I'm Kara and I haven't done one of these since the middle of last year

b) our goal is to pay down at least 1/3 of our total debt this year (more if possible!) and to be putting at least 25% of our income just toward debt ... which means we're living on less. We did pretty well in January until last weekend when I went a little crazy with the groceries (cleaning out our pantry and replacing the junk with REAL food ... but it probably didn't have to happen at all once, ywkim?) And I spent some money on Valentine's stuff when we had decided to go homemade this year I NEED to get us back on track this month - the WHOLE month

c) we've been using cash envelopes, creating a budget each month, and trying to institute a 24 hour "wait" rule before making purchases ... I'd like to throw in as many NO SPEND days each month as possible as another tool to help us reach our 2010 goals.

Looking forward to spending (or NOT spending) the month of February with all of you

knit.gifKara~ Rockin' Granola wife to Christopher and mama to J (Nov. '01), M (June '06), L (May '08) and stork-girl.gif (edd 8/3/11)
2011:  a year to Make Do, Do Without, or Do It Ourselves 
Old 02-01-2010, 05:14 PM

I'm in!

I'm Smocked and my goals are to be able to do cosmetic fixing in the house. I plan to get there by staying on track like we have been and living the same lifestyle we were living before we had the income that we have now
Old 02-01-2010, 05:15 PM

a. Kristine WOHM to 3 girls

b. Last year wasn't the best for us financially so my goal this year is to learn to spend less and save more.

c. Really focus on not spending unnecessarily and getting our grocery bills down.
Old 02-01-2010, 05:31 PM

I'm in! I failed last month, horribly. So I'm going to try again.

Trying to live a simple life in a messy house in a complicated world with : DH, DD (b. 07/07), DS (b. 02/09), and DD (b. 10/10)
Old 02-01-2010, 05:44 PM

a. Who you are: Michelle SAHM to one dd
b. Where you are going (your financial goals): Finally realized the huge debt I have created and am ready to get serious and pay it off, then start saving for the future. Plan is to save 6 month's living expenses, then on to debt.
c. How you plan to get there: No unnecessary spending, keep track of budget, meal planning.
2nd month on budget

Key:
- no spend
- necessary/budgeted spend
- unnecessary spend

Feb.
1. ( dh forgot lunch)
3. tp and coffee at costco( dh coffee at work)
4. -groceries...needed some fruits
6. -groceries for week
8. -groceries (forgot eggs) supplies for dc
13. -groceries for the week
14. pineapples for cake, dd supplies
15. books for dd
Old 02-01-2010, 05:47 PM

I'm back in!! Goal this month is to spend $100 less on food/grocery items. This will be a challenge!

= necessary expense
= no spending
= unnecssary spending

total food expense from january spending: $748.65

Wife to DH(15 years)and Mama to: Jacob(5/02)kid.gifribbonpurple.gif, and Alina(7/07)energy.gifI luxlove.gifbellyhair.gif
Old 02-01-2010, 08:04 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
a. Who you are

Ruth, student mom to three little people

b. Where you are going (your financial goals)

Knocking out $3,000 of credit card debt. Looking to work off $1000 of that debt this month.

Groceries, gas, utilities -- everything is budgeted. Assuming I stick to the budget, I will be able to make my $1000 goal.

Feb 1 -- .38 lollies for the kids
Feb 2 --
Feb 3 --
Feb 4 --

Goals:

0/1000.00 debt payment

Frugal, food growing mama to my four loves

Old 02-01-2010, 08:08 PM

I'm totally IN!

a. I'm not a mama yet but I hope to be soon...and that brings me to part b!
b. My financial goals include saving up $10K to prepare for having a baby (midwife expenses and maternity leave). I also want to pay down my student loan (possibly pay it off this year, depending on my tax return!) and keep paying $50 extra each month on my mortgage.
c. I plan to reach my financial goals by spending less money. I realized recently that I spend too much money... Etsy is one of my weaknesses, and I also spend too much on food. I am meal planning now, and I think that is helping, and I'm also tracking my expenses, so I can see where all my money is going. I hope to establish a proper budget at some point soon...Oh, and I am leaving my credit card at home now!

= no spending
= necessary spending
= unnecessary spending

1-
2- (oops! I used some money in my paypal account, though, so not out of pocket....still bad, though)
3- = paid mortgage and car insurance. But I also did some research on cheaper options for my car insurance, and I think I can cut my costs by $400/year by switching companies!
4- had to buy my lunch today because i was at a conference $4.50
5-
6- - groceries
7-
8- -- traded our hen eggs for fresh bread!
9-

Married to my sweetie and enjoying life with our fabulous dog.  Expecting #1 in August 2012!!!!

Old 02-01-2010, 08:25 PM

I am going to join this thread for the first time and see where it takes me.

a. Who you are: I am a SAHM to 2 boys. I worked until DS2 was born, so we took a cut to our income.

b. Where you are going (your financial goals): Right now my goal is to come up with an extra $200 a month. If I can start doing that we can move out of our townhome when the lease is up this summer and find a single family home with a yard. Our dog and kids need a yard. An extra $200 a month will open up more possibilities for rentals.

c. How you plan to get there: My plan is to figure out where I spend money unnecessarily and cut it out. If I can't find the money this way I will need to find a way to bring in some income.

= no spending
= necessary spending
= unnecessary spending
= unexpected but necessary spending

1-
2-
3- $30 copay and $65 medication for sick DS $36 gas, $40 BJs, $40 Earthfare (groceries, coffee, grocery staples)
4- $60 grocery store (weekly meal plan shopping) $30 copay for DS's follow up
5- $65 dryer repair
6- $30 groceries
7- Made $47 selling kid stuff to consignment
8-
9-
10- $23 Target
11- $16 amazon, valentine gifts for DSs
12-
13- $74 weekly grocery shopping
14- $20 grocery store for "sick" food
15- $38 Target
16-
17-
18-
19-
20-
21-
22-
23-
24-
25-
26-
27-
28-
Old 02-01-2010, 08:41 PM

Hi I'm a student and mama to two boys (23 months old and 16 mo), I'm going to give this a go, as my spending seems to be a little wild these days (wild for me, that is!) and we don't have money for frivolous purchases. We're on an envelope system, and for the first time ran out of money before the month was done. Time to buckle down and reacquaint myself with self disciplined spending I guess.

As well, I have started watching some children and really want that money to go into savings rather than just becoming "extra" or play money.

Key:

no spend
budgeted spend
unneccesary spend
money into savings account

1. Groceries. We spent quite a bit of our monthly grocery money though, so now we have to be careful!

I am not crunchy enough for this forum. Everyday I get a little crunchier though! :
Old 02-01-2010, 09:07 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Quote:
a. Who you are
Hello. My name is Turquesa, and I'm a latte-holic. At least 2 per day while out and around the town. They cost the same as a full gallon of organic milk.

Sharing in this madness is my almost-3 year old DD, infant DS, and eternally patient DH.

Quote:
We're putting money aside for a new shed, a deck renovation, and....more pitter-patters of little feet.

Quote:
Realistically. The latte habit will require a gradual weaning. This month:

1. Bake and pack snacks for toddler.
2. Lattes out 3x per week.
3. No more newstand magazines. No more books. Period.
4. > $150.00 on groceries per trip.

I miss doing this. So good to be back on board! Key:

= No spending
= Budgeted spending
= Non-budgeted spending
= Cooked or served leftovers
Here goes...

Feb 1: Latte and two scones. DD only ate 2 bites of hers. $8.00 ETA: It was payday today, and I just transferred a sizable amount into the savings account to ensure that I behave myself!

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif
Old 02-01-2010, 09:34 PM

I'm in this month! I haven't done one in quite awhile and REALLY need the push!

a. Who you are-Mama to 2 lo's. Work VERY part-time. Dh works full time+musican things on the side

b. Where you are going (your financial goals)-See where we are wasting money/use it in better ways

c. How you plan to get there-Cutting down on eating out/little store purchases

-No spend
-Budgeted spending
-Non budgeted spending

mommy daddy son daughter = our family
Old 02-02-2010, 03:12 AM

I'm motivated this month and am joining!!!
a. Who you are
I'm Emilie, SAHM to 3 year old DS and 10 month old DD. My DH is a full time state employee. He doesn't make a ton and is having to take unpaid furlough days now because our state is strapped for cash

We need to rebuild our emergency fund. It all got spent last year on medical expenses.

Make a budget and stick to it (made it out tonight!), use a cash envelope system so I don't go over budget. I put $200 towards our $1000 emergency fund today and hope to replenish it with our tax returns soon. After that I'll be putting $200 a month towards our grassfed beef and pork share fund. Once that is taken care of $200 a month will go towards extra emergency savings.

February:
key:
= budgeted spending
= unnecessary spending

1 -

knit.gifmama to my boy autismribbon.gif (9/06) and my girl (3/09) and surprise 1sttri.gif due in May!

Old 02-02-2010, 04:24 AM

Hello! I'm great at starting these but I get lost after a few updates because I can never keep track of my last post. Here's hoping that I do better this time

a. Who you are
I'm Stacy. *waves*

Our plan is to be debt-free (except for the house) by the end of the year

We're dedicated and putting money away every chance we get!

WOHM to DS11 and DD9, both T1Ds

Old 02-02-2010, 04:42 AM

key:
no spend
budgeted spending
unnecessary spending

Old 02-02-2010, 07:09 AM

a. I'm a mom to one with another on the way.

b. We are trying to make certain that we spend less than DP earns. He'd been very careless with his spending habits, but still managed to put away quite a bit into savings and into retirement. But it barely left anything left at the end of the month if he had a slow month at work. He always had extra cash when single, but now with a patchwork family, he's just now realized he needs to cut back in some areas and cut out absurd expenses.

Canceling everything that can be cancelled, budgeting, meal planning.

1. 39,49 € for groceries and drugstore items - approx. 12 € too much at the drugstore due to BS for carneval.
2. 0,00 €

hide.gif Me 41, single mom to modifiedartist.gifdd 4/2001 and demon.gif ds 7/17/2010

Old 02-02-2010, 10:34 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I'm going to give this a try this month.

a. I'm Jenn, SAHM to 4 under 6.

b. We're looking to have our $14000 in cc debt paid off by the end of this year and then want to move onto our Suburban (still owe about $10000 on that). We've been debt free before, but 1.5yrs ago, DS2 was hospitalized for 2wks and we foolishly put the med bills on our cc We also bought our first home 2yrs ago, and the cc balance has just been creeping upward. DH and I sat down and outlined our financial goals and are now intent on meeting them. We also have a few home projects we want to tackle, and want to cash flow them instead of using that dreaded cc.

c. STAY OUT OF THE STORES!!! This is our big one. I've started meal planning again to combat our eating out habit, but we need to just stay out of the stores so we don't buy random cr@p. We use the cash envelope system, but have a tendency to just take out the cc if we go over budget. Not anymore. We HAVE to stick w/in our budget.

key:
no spend
budgeted spending
unnecessary/ non-budgeted spending

Jenn<>< crunchy conservative mama to 6 fencing.gif reading.gif notes2.gif fly-by-nursing2.gif

knit.gifand sewmachine.gif my way through my stash.

Old 02-02-2010, 11:09 AM

Okay, starting the month off well! Baby steps, right?

No Spend =
Planned Spend =
Oops =

2/1 -

We got our electric bill. We have our heat turned way down and don't use our dryer, but I was still a little shell-shocked by the amount. Guess that is some automatic motivation to keep February a NO Spend month, eh?

Here's to a great month, friends! We can do this!

knit.gifKara~ Rockin' Granola wife to Christopher and mama to J (Nov. '01), M (June '06), L (May '08) and stork-girl.gif (edd 8/3/11)
2011:  a year to Make Do, Do Without, or Do It Ourselves 
Old 02-02-2010, 01:10 PM

February 1 -
Old 02-02-2010, 02:48 PM

I'm in! I haven't done one of these challenges in a long while, but I *really* need to right now. I made an exception yesterday for the HA dresses at Costco mentioned in another thread (since dd really did need clothes), but I'm totally in for this challenge.

= No spend day
= Planned expense
= OOPS!

2/1
2/2

~Rebecca~
mama to a sweet girl , & 4 silly boys

Old 02-02-2010, 03:05 PM

I'm in again!

a. Who you are - I'm Aileen, married to dh, with 5 stepkids (two youngest stay with us part time), one daughter, two grandbabies with a third on the way.

b. Where you are going (your financial goals) - Build up 3-6 month living expenses, pay down cc, try to pay off car loan early before our car gives us anymore trouble. Then we will trade it in for a new one. Dh does not want another used car. So whenever we can make this happen I am going to try and pay off the new one early.

c. How you plan to get there - Limit unnecessary spends, cut back on amounts spent on birthdays, personal items, groceries, etc. I've already lowered most of my bills. Monies leftover after budgeting will go into living expenses fund instead of staying in the checking account where it will tempt me.

budgeted spend
unnecessary spend
no spend

February
Old 02-02-2010, 03:45 PM

Hi I'm new here, would like to join this thread.
I have two girls DD1 3 1/2 and my little one DD2 6 months.
I work as a nurse part-time and my husband is a teacher, so we have limited income.
Goal to pay off cc and do some home improvement this spring.
How I plan to get there is become more conscious of spending.
KEY:
Necessary spending
No spending
Over spending

Feb
Old 02-02-2010, 09:23 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
key:
no spend
budgeted spending
unnecessary/ non-budgeted spending

Jenn<>< crunchy conservative mama to 6 fencing.gif reading.gif notes2.gif fly-by-nursing2.gif

knit.gifand sewmachine.gif my way through my stash.

Old 02-02-2010, 09:32 PM - Thread Starter

Drive-thru is my Waterloo...

-------------------------------------------------------

1. Wal-Mart and haircuts, fast food
2. Earth Fare, fast food
Old 02-02-2010, 10:09 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Feb 1 -- .38 lollies for the kids
Feb 2 --
Feb 3 --
Feb 4 --

Goals:

0/1000.00 debt payment

Frugal, food growing mama to my four loves

Old 02-03-2010, 02:12 AM

key:
no spend
budgeted spending
unnecessary spending

2. 7.16 on food and tissue for dd's class
Old 02-03-2010, 02:20 AM

a. Who you are I'm Kate, WOHM to a couple of boys and my partner DH is a SAHD.

b. Where you are going (your financial goals): We have 24k in debt, between student loans for DH and our credit cards. We are working a loose version of DR (principles) and getting it down a bit at a time. This month is crucial for DH & I and we're going to try to literally not touch our personal cash this month. We're also finally putting away our 1 CC and debit card to really not touch our $$ at all! I would love to have the goal to put an extra $200 to our CC payment each month to start to get rid of this horrid loan (highest payment, lowest balance).

c. How you plan to get there: We are committing to not spending this month, we did very well last month in coming up $22 in the black on our budget (instead of the red!)

ktg's February 2010 goals:

Eat out (dinner or lunch): 0 days
Groceries: $500
Extra for CC: $200
No Spend days: 20

Key:
= No Spend
= Budgeted Spending
= unplanned spending
= unplanned emergency spending

Jan
30 - $298 costco
31 - $45 goodwill
Feb
1 -

treehugger.gifAnd you who seek to know Me, know that the seeking and yearning will avail you not, unless you know the Mystery: for if that which you seek, you find not within yourself, you will never find it without.treehugger.gif

User Tag List