Is this pell grant taxable? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 02-04-2010, 02:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DH got $6140.00 in pell grants last year, his tuition was $6120. I cannot figure out if the grants are taxable or not. They were used only for tuition and books, so i dont think they are, but how can i be sure? if they are not taxable, it increases our refund by$3000, so i want to be sure i'm doing it right, since i don't want to miss out on that $3000, but i also don't want to have to end up paying it back if we make a mistake.

ugh. why do taxes have to be so confusing?

any help?
#2 of 5 Old 02-04-2010, 02:45 AM

I entered the info from the 1098 (is that the form?) and the tax software figured it out. In my case, it did up our income, but only by like $100 something for the year, even though I got a lot more fin aid than that.

sorry, that's probably not much help. but I don't think it's going to mean an added 3k of taxable income. Hope someone else can answer your question better.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#3 of 5 Old 02-04-2010, 12:42 PM

From the IRS website: Pell Grants, Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants, and Grants to States for State Student Incentives. These grants are nontaxable scholarships to the extent used for tuition and course-related expenses during the grant period.

http://www.irs.gov/individuals/stude...6674%2C00.html

If you use a tax program to prepare your taxes, I would think that it would walk you through whether it's taxable or not.

I recently changed my username, but I still say "Hello" to all those who know me in real life! Hi P, S, T and K!
#4 of 5 Old 02-04-2010, 12:50 PM

Me (27) DH (30)...9 Years

DD (7) ~ DD (4) ~ DS (3)

Praying our April 2013 baby sticks!! joy.gif

Babies in Heaven...angel.gif 9/04 angel.gif 2/05 angel.gif 3/11 angel.gif 4/11 angel.gif 6/11 angel.gif 11/11 angel.gif 2/12 (along with my tube greensad.gif )

#5 of 5 Old 03-11-2010, 05:22 PM
Dar

Not taxable, as long as it was all spent on tuition and books (or other required expenses like lab fees or supplies, etc.).

fambedsingle1.gifSingle mom to Rain (1/93) , grad student, and world traveler earth.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page