February Low Income Support Thread - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 144 Old 02-18-2010, 03:28 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciascl View Post
Call them & see if you can make arraingments to pay it in portions. Most banks are actually pretty willing to work with people right now. Depending on what caused you to fall behind you could look into a modification to bring the payment down a bit & current. Good luck!
We tried that already - they want it in full since I'm self employed. Don't qualify for a modification for the same reason as well - I wish we did!

Me, 29, Muslim hijab.gif single mama to T age 7 energy.gif We homeschool.gif saynovax.giffambedsingle1.gif and Love it!
#62 of 144 Old 02-18-2010, 04:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
For once it seems that things are truly going my way, I found a job which is AWESOME and I'm soo glad for, but its only casual and there is no gauruntee of hours, I found another job hopefully for $450 a month which would make my income $855/month with DF making $1600 a month. We're hoping that I can get lots of hours

Krys(29) DP to Ad (32)
~Attachment, co-sleeping parents to CJ (10/08)~ Mama to an angel baby born at 25.5 weeks Sophie (01/10)

#63 of 144 Old 02-18-2010, 05:08 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetmama26 View Post
For once it seems that things are truly going my way, I found a job which is AWESOME and I'm soo glad for, but its only casual and there is no gauruntee of hours, I found another job hopefully for $450 a month which would make my income $855/month with DF making $1600 a month. We're hoping that I can get lots of hours
At least its money!

Seriously?
#64 of 144 Old 02-18-2010, 05:14 PM

That's true it is money at least. I'm just scared about not getting hours, I'm tempted to take the other job even though its lower money because I get child tax benefit that is assured every month, and I also will be getting child support at $250 a month, if he pays that is.

Krys(29) DP to Ad (32)
~Attachment, co-sleeping parents to CJ (10/08)~ Mama to an angel baby born at 25.5 weeks Sophie (01/10)

#65 of 144 Old 02-18-2010, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Oh no! That roomate would SOOOO be replacing that or giving up the $10. That is just not right! I hope you are feeling better soon.
I agree! I'd make someone pay me back!

stillheart.gif The Hippie & the Marine stillheart.gif  hh2.gif
My boys: S (4) & O (2) & Expecting #3 in Dec. 2011

#66 of 144 Old 02-19-2010, 04:58 AM

Hi all -

Guess it's time I joined this thread. We'd been getting by, albeit hand-to-mouth, for several years until last month. For approx. 4 years, hubby had been working as the assistant manager of a gourmet foods/snacks store. For a while, I earned money working from home, and then I took a part-time job in retail (we homeschool, so working full-time is difficult). We had enough money to pay for rent and utilities, gasoline, groceries, etc., as well as enough to eat out occasionally and shop at thrift stores (we have always bought all non-consumables used).

However, hubby is going through a bit of a mid-life crisis of sorts and can think of nothing but attending school, working toward a certificate in 3D design. When he first had the idea early last year, I asked him if he couldn't learn the programs online (through Lynda.com or something like that). He was adamant that he could only learn in a traditional classroom setting, that online tutorials just don't work for him. I suggested other routes - trading his knowledge (of other programs, sketching and painting, cartooning, etc.) with someone who knows 3D design, taking an online course, etc. No, he said, it had to be a classroom with a professor. So, he applied for grants and got them. I was relieved we wouldn't have to pay for him to go to classes and stopped worrying.

For the first semester, everything was fine. His class was in the evening, so he would work and then head to school. Unfortunately, the classes he needed for the next semester (which started last month) were during the day on Friday and Saturday. His boss was happy to let him have those days off, but the district manager was none too pleased. She told him it was either his job or school. He chose school and went back to driving limousines like he did several years ago.

When he drove before, the money was erratic, but we were able to live off it, for the most part. Now, however, with the economy as bad as it is, business is down and tips are virtually non-existent. There are fewer runs, and (because he hasn't been there in years) he's at the bottom of the pecking order. We live about an hour away from the limo place, but he can't really turn down any runs (if only to get ahead in the pecking order), so he ends up driving all the way down there for a run or two. The cost of gas is difficult. We live near Austin (and the limo place is in Austin), and, even if just for a split second, I was relieved about the plane crashing into the IRS building because there would be newspeople and others flying into the city because of it, and hubby would have more work. In fact, tomorrow, he has several runs taking people from the airport to the crash site.

My job is pretty horrid, I hate to admit. We have only one car, so I had to find a place I could walk to. There's really not very much within walking distance (and there is no bus service here), so I decided to work at a thrift store about 20 minutes walking distance away. The pay is poor, and the working conditions are even poorer; the work is physically demanding (even though I'm primarily a cashier), most of the people I work with aren't people I'd want anything to do with, and the company treats us all as criminals (which many of the employees actually are). Just last week, they replaced all the locker locks so that they would have the combinations; they intend to randomly search our belongings to make sure we haven't stolen any trinkets. They randomly drug test employees. They search our bags before we leave. They have scads of cameras capturing every movement we make - not to catch shoplifters, but to keep track of the employees (and they have people employed just to watch them). Ugh. So, needless to say, I'm not very happy there. In addition to that, I have MS, and the physical aspect of the job is difficult for me to handle. This past month, they were gracious enough to give me more hours (I let a few of the supervisors know my family was hurting financially), but I'm having real trouble working so much. Several of my symptoms are worsening, and others that had gone into remission have come roaring back.

So, we're in a tough spot. Hubby has quit school so that he can work on Fridays and Saturdays and so that he can tell potential employers that he's available every day. (He's been using (and learning from) online tutorials like I suggested in the first place -grrr.) He's gotten almost no interviews for jobs (it's just a really bad time to be looking). I'm having trouble staying positive.

We were given a Vitamix for Christmas (my mother is a saint, sometimes) and had begun eating raw (we're already vegan). And we felt great! Hubby has diabetes, and his blood sugar and blood pressure stabilized. My MS symptoms all lessened or virtually disappeared. Ds felt and looked better. All of us had more energy. And all within a month! But then, we had no money to continue. Luckily, I had lots of dry beans and rice and such in the pantry, and we've been living off those for several weeks, now. But, the pantry is beginning to look empty, and the thought of buying more dry beans and rice is disheartening - not only because we're sick of them, but because we can't afford them. Blah. I've planned a garden for this year, but I'm not sure we'll be able to afford the seeds. I think I can search out old fence planks and other such freebies to actually build it (I'm using the square foot method), but the cost of seeds is a little daunting.

Son's bday was last week, and he was absolutely great about it. He knew we had very little money to spend on him. He received 3 t-shirts (that cost me $1.50 each) and the game Settlers of Catan (which I found for $3 at a thrift store - unopened). We made him a chocolate cake (we had nearly all the ingredients on hand) and played Settlers of Catan all evening. He was quite happy.

Still, the stress is beginning to get to us - me especially. Stress is terrible for MS, and I'm someone who is easily stressed....

At least the weather is looking up so we can head out to the park or take walks (it had been consistently rainy here for a while). Also, we just received a couple of homeschooling freebies in the mail, and the little one is having fun with those (right now, he's watching a documentary about Cesar Chavez and the United Farm Workers). We've got lots of books in the house to keep us occupied (we owe the library over $20 because a dog chewed up one of the kiddo's books), as well as a huge collection of VHS tapes (all bought for $.25 or $.50 each). We don't have cable or Netflix, so the tapes are nice to have on hand. And, we haven't had to cut off the Internet yet (though I'm worried we might have to soon), so we've been utilizing it quite a bit. We've got lots of board and card games to play, also. There are instruments (guitars, banjo, mandolin, violin) we can play around on, and I've got a small stash of yarn I need to learn how to knit. Still, even with all these things to occupy my time, I spend far too many hours sitting around worrying.

I wish there were things we could cut out to save money, but we're already bare bones. We don't buy anything, we don't subscribe to anything, etc. We already work hard to keep the utility bills low. We eat very cheaply (though as nutritiously as we can afford). We don't have any habits we have to support (i.e., smoking, drinking, etc.).

I know we'll make it through this rough patch eventually, but it's just difficult right now. Sigh.... So, there's my introduction. If you've made it this far, thanks. I know I've posted a novel. I'm just happy to be in the company of others who get it.

Come visit us on Tangled Hill! One small family in a big, big world.
Peace through homemaking.
#67 of 144 Old 02-19-2010, 10:59 AM

Welcome Tangled, I definately get you. Its not easy to work and live from pay check to pay check.

Krys(29) DP to Ad (32)

#68 of 144 Old 02-19-2010, 02:24 PM

I left my purse in the car last night.....don't know how I forgot, but I did, and the doors don't lock, ad this morning it was gone. I called the bank and our account was totalyl cleaned out. (all $150 , but that was for rent which was due tomorrow)

I can't even get the money refunded until the stolen transactions clear, and since they were obviously done on credit it will take 3-5 days to clear.

Very blessed mama to one bouncin' boy bouncy.gif (12/07) one angel3.gif who didn't get to stay (6/09), one potty learning, mess making divaenergy.gif(4/10), and one cheerful milk monster. aabfwoman.gif (12/11) Happy partner to the love of my lifedp_malesling.GIF.  

#69 of 144 Old 02-19-2010, 02:31 PM

Hugs mama, that really blows that someone stole your purse.

Krys(29) DP to Ad (32)

#70 of 144 Old 02-19-2010, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waiting2bemommy View Post

I left my purse in the car last night.....don't know how I forgot, but I did, and the doors don't lock, ad this morning it was gone.
Ugh. I feel you. Had a car that didn't lock (well, didn't unlock, so we never locked it) and had my purse stolen out of it one night. I *never* left my purse in there; it was a one-time thing. Made me wonder how often people opened my car, looked around and decided I didn't have anything in there worth stealing!

People can be truly awful sometimes....

Here's hoping the transactions clear quickly and the landlord is understanding.

Come visit us on Tangled Hill! One small family in a big, big world.
Peace through homemaking.
#71 of 144 Old 02-19-2010, 04:02 PM

Yup, my dbf is pretty annoyed with me right now......I think the reason I left the purse in the car (which I NEVER do) is because I took ds to the pet store last night and wound up buying a hamster (he's been asking FOREVER) so we were carrying the hamster in the house which was a Very Big Production for my super excited kiddo, and in the chaos that followed of setting up the cage, etc I never went back out to get the rest of the stuff out of the car and then I fell asleep, still dressed, laying down with ds to get him to sleep, and didn't wake up til this morning.

Anyway I called my caseworker (since my food stamps card was also stolen) and our new worker is AWESOME and arranged for a replacement card for us to get picked up this afternoon.

We are going to file a police report too since we are pretty sure we know who did it....the same thuggish neighbors that have been eyeing us from a distance ever since we moved in. I do have to wonder though where people's hearts are at, to see people who are obviously struggling and still steal from them. Not that it's any better to steal from the rich, but I mean, they see us having to open the hood every time we start the car, obviously we are not rolling in $$, and they see me walking to work at 8 months preggo, y'know?

now we just have to get our money refunded from the bank. but that will be the rest of the day today when I get off work, doing the police report, going to the bank to see what if anything can be started now, picking up our food stamp card.

Very blessed mama to one bouncin' boy bouncy.gif (12/07) one angel3.gif who didn't get to stay (6/09), one potty learning, mess making divaenergy.gif(4/10), and one cheerful milk monster. aabfwoman.gif (12/11) Happy partner to the love of my lifedp_malesling.GIF.  

#72 of 144 Old 02-19-2010, 04:38 PM

So, my very inexpensive (ie, pretty much free) childcare is ending at the end of the month. I have no idea what I'm going to do. I want to take this medical transcription class so I can work from home, solve the babysitter issue, and be able to homeschool but it is $1,800 and I have no idea how to come up with this. Loans and borrowing are out...agh. Tax money was very little, and gone already (car repair, insurance, etc). I hate that my pay is spent before I even get it each week.

Sorry, just frustrated and venting.

stillheart.gif = Pariah, Super Mom + The Amazing Wiggy (1/06)superhero.gifangel.gif  (6/08)  52 Projects: 0/52  Decluttering Challenge: 37/2013

#73 of 144 Old 02-19-2010, 09:14 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
All I can say is the weekend is here....
I am student teaching with the worst teacher in the universe... i am about 1/2 done and I can not wait until 4/9/10 when I am completed. I will be a much ahppier person then and maybe my roommate situation wont look so bad...

The weekend will be awsome....

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#74 of 144 Old 02-19-2010, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra15 View Post
All I can say is the weekend is here....
I am student teaching with the worst teacher in the universe... i am about 1/2 done and I can not wait until 4/9/10 when I am completed. I will be a much ahppier person then and maybe my roommate situation wont look so bad...

The weekend will be awsome....
Well at least your half way through it! You can finish it

Well, we brought my POS back today, engine is fried and it wont even start now and joy o joy we had a heck of a time even getting it to shift to neutral to move it into a parking spot. It appears step dad didn't remember the head gasket blew and it had a temp seal in it. Reminded him again when he was trying to figure out the problem and thats when he realized the seal probably broke again and fried the engine and yep, there blaming me and insisting that I must have been hot rodding around with it Moms insisting I buy a something or other car, I researched it and I don't want it. If I'm paying for it I'm going to pick what I want. She's being all demanding and getting pissy that I don't want to do what she wants. There moving out of state in 3 months, I need to make sure I have something that has a good track record and that will work well for us and that includes a car that gets awesome mpg as much as we drive.

Seriously?
#75 of 144 Old 02-19-2010, 11:04 PM

Waiting, that's terrible I'm sorry that happened to you, and what a PITA that your account was cleaned out (no matter HOW much was in there) Sending a virtual hug your way

Things here are still the same. I'm Still looking for a job :sigh but it's still hiding from me (haha) Thank goodness, Eric (babydaddy) is working or I'd be in the same boat I was in 2 months ago, walking the streets around my house every day looking for soda/beer cans/bottles I can return. But the good news is, due to all of the walking around I was doing, I have gone down 2 jean sizes I was a size 16, now I'm a size 12 I haven't been a size 12 in 7 years.
Hope everyone has a good week.

mama to dd1 17yo, ds1 16yo, ds2 13 yo, and dd2 6yo
#76 of 144 Old 02-19-2010, 11:16 PM

Waiting: I am so sorry! I know EXACTLY how you feel except my door was locked so they decided to smash the window & take my bag 2 weeks ago. I hope you get it all worked out quickly.

Pariah: I thought medical transcription would be a great idea too. If you do it CareerStep is a great school. However, it is ALOT of work. I have been working on the course for about 2 1/2 years & will probably not be done until Nov. I could've been done alot sooner, but I am really struggleing with it. Good luck!

Cheryl, wife to an amazing man, homeschooling SAHM to Gavin 12/03, Rhys 09/06, and Ian Aug 11, 2010.

#77 of 144 Old 02-19-2010, 11:38 PM

Waiting: I totally I missed your post Its ridiculous that they make you wait until it clears, I've had similar issues on that front and it really makes me mad that because of someone else were the ones who get screwed rather then the banks safety net kicking in immediately I hope its taken care of quickly

Seriously?
#78 of 144 Old 02-20-2010, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waiting2bemommy View Post
Yup, my dbf is pretty annoyed with me right now......I think the reason I left the purse in the car (which I NEVER do) is because I took ds to the pet store last night and wound up buying a hamster (he's been asking FOREVER) so we were carrying the hamster in the house which was a Very Big Production for my super excited kiddo, and in the chaos that followed of setting up the cage, etc I never went back out to get the rest of the stuff out of the car and then I fell asleep, still dressed, laying down with ds to get him to sleep, and didn't wake up til this morning.

Anyway I called my caseworker (since my food stamps card was also stolen) and our new worker is AWESOME and arranged for a replacement card for us to get picked up this afternoon.

We are going to file a police report too since we are pretty sure we know who did it....the same thuggish neighbors that have been eyeing us from a distance ever since we moved in. I do have to wonder though where people's hearts are at, to see people who are obviously struggling and still steal from them. Not that it's any better to steal from the rich, but I mean, they see us having to open the hood every time we start the car, obviously we are not rolling in $$, and they see me walking to work at 8 months preggo, y'know?

now we just have to get our money refunded from the bank. but that will be the rest of the day today when I get off work, doing the police report, going to the bank to see what if anything can be started now, picking up our food stamp card.
I hope everything gets resolved!

stillheart.gif The Hippie & the Marine stillheart.gif  hh2.gif
My boys: S (4) & O (2) & Expecting #3 in Dec. 2011

#79 of 144 Old 02-20-2010, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Pariah: I thought medical transcription would be a great idea too. If you do it CareerStep is a great school. However, it is ALOT of work. I have been working on the course for about 2 1/2 years & will probably not be done until Nov. I could've been done alot sooner, but I am really struggleing with it. Good luck!
Yes, that's the program I've had my eye on. I've done transcription of interviews before and my typing speed is pretty fast (114 wpm the last I checked) so I hope this would work out. I just need to come up with that $ to start. It is darn near impossible to save anything though.

stillheart.gif = Pariah, Super Mom + The Amazing Wiggy (1/06)superhero.gifangel.gif  (6/08)  52 Projects: 0/52  Decluttering Challenge: 37/2013

#80 of 144 Old 02-21-2010, 11:53 AM

so we still haven't gotten our money refunded, dbf is off work all weekend so no tips coming in, AND there is some issue at his job where they want him to take a 200-question menu test before they'll put him back on the schedule for next week. I'm really worried....he knows te menu perfectly (I've been helping him and quizzing him) but he and I both get test anxiety and I know it won't be his fault if he gets nervous or something and messes up.

I spent 5 hours on my feet at work yesterday trying my hardest to make a sale and nothing came of it, so I have to go back in to work today, off the clock, to try and sell to make quota or I"M off the schedule (basically fired). I printed up a flyer for house cleaning and if dbf EVER wakes up we are going to drive out to some nice neighborhoods and put them out. I need to get 10 houses a week in order to make a significant financial contribution. And I'm so TIRED. All I want to do right now is sleep, eat, and work on the baby's blanket while watching Birth Day on TLC lol. We're on a full tank of gas, thank goodness, but we have no cash right now because of the bank situation, so we have to make it last for who knows how long.

On the positive side (I'm really determined to be positive, I'm trying!!!!) we are going to look at another roommate situation today that is $300 less a month and hopefully cleaner and quieter. He might also be willing to trade some labor on my part (cleaning and fixing up) for some of the rent so that's good.

And best of all yesterday we went to the free clothing closet and really dug, and found a Polo brand shirt for ds, some pants for dd, a jacket for me that actually zips up and......a STROLLER. Ds was SO excited.

#81 of 144 Old 02-22-2010, 12:22 PM

MY CAR DOOR WORKS AGAIN,
MY CAR DOOR WORKS AGAIN
!!!!

I think I wrote in an earlier post that my front passenger car door was locked open, so I had to tie it shut.
Well, I had Eric (babydaddy) go out and look at it this morning and apparently, he fixed it I (and he) doesn't know what he did, he was just messing with the lock mechanism and now the door closes on it's own.
(and boy isn't HE feeling all full of himself puke )

Other than that, I have nothing new to report.

mama to dd1 17yo, ds1 16yo, ds2 13 yo, and dd2 6yo
#82 of 144 Old 02-22-2010, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwat View Post
MY CAR DOOR WORKS AGAIN,
MY CAR DOOR WORKS AGAIN
!!!!

I think I wrote in an earlier post that my front passenger car door was locked open, so I had to tie it shut.
Well, I had Eric (babydaddy) go out and look at it this morning and apparently, he fixed it I (and he) doesn't know what he did, he was just messing with the lock mechanism and now the door closes on it's own.

lol. I don't know what's funnier, that you were tying the door shut or that his male ego has been boosted by apparently "fixing" it.

If it makes you feel any better we have to open the hood every time we turn our car on and off, to attach and detach this little wire, or it will start smoking. Incidentally my dBF also figured this out on his own, and also has no idea why it works, but it does. I get a lot of weird looks probably because I'm so matter of fact aout it by now. pull up to walmart, get toddler out, open hood, fix wire, slam it shut, get groceries, and repeat. hey, it's a ride

#83 of 144 Old 02-22-2010, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwat View Post
MY CAR DOOR WORKS AGAIN,
MY CAR DOOR WORKS AGAIN
!!!!

Cool that he fixed it!

Seriously?
#84 of 144 Old 02-22-2010, 04:30 PM

UGH today was probably my worst possible day ever, I started a new job today, then I was called by DF to come home 2 hours INTO work because my babysitter decided that they were not going to show up, so I had to rush around to try and find daycare for DS. Which I found and he starts tomorrow. To top it all off though, my car needs a gas tank replacement which is gonna cost $200 because mine has a farkin hole in it.

Krys(29) DP to Ad (32)

#85 of 144 Old 02-22-2010, 05:19 PM

We are doing OK this month now that we have the cushion from our tax refund. Most of it is already spoken for, but at least we have a little bit of cushion.

The one thing I do want to say is that just b/c I am on Medicaid, doesn't make me an idiot! I had to call about 30 drs offices before I could find one that would accept a new Medicaid patient. I finally found a dr, but they said their first appt was for March 5. Gee, I'm glad my child isn't sick. All I need is a referral for occupational therapy for my three year old so I took that appt. I have no idea what this dr is like, but as long as the office writes the referral, that's all I care about right now. I called Medicaid and they acted like I was an idiot b/c according to them, occupational therapy "is for people who work, not for children". Ok, so the developmental and behavior specialist at the local childrens hospital doesn't know what she's talking about? He receives speech and OT at preschool and the specialist recommended it outside of preschool as well. Her referral isn't good enough b/c it wasn't from his PCP. I ended up hanging up on the Medicaid lady b/c she irritated me too much.

I recently changed my username, but I still say "Hello" to all those who know me in real life! Hi P, S, T and K!
#86 of 144 Old 02-22-2010, 07:47 PM

Speaking of being treated poorly, or atleast differently, for recieving aid I have decided I will NEVER shop at Ralphs gorcery store again. I have been putting up with crap everytime I use WIC there but today was the final straw. Over the last few months I have actually had the same checker argue with me 3 different times about the same item & whether it was ok to get or not. Corn tortillas are whole grain lady, they are even marked on the shelf for WIC! Last week it took 15 minutes for the store manager to check me out because several of the items I was getting were not in their system for WIC & she had to look them up. Thank God she knew what she was doing or really could have been a mess. Then today the store director!!! had no idea what to do. He had to pull my least favorite checker away from her checkstand (where she was doing another WIC transaction) to show him how to ring it up.

I understand that there were changes to WIC but that was 4 months ago people should have it together by now. It is so embarrasing to have the people in line behind you getting frustrated because your freaking WIC transaction takes 6 times as long as a regular transaction.

Cheryl, wife to an amazing man, homeschooling SAHM to Gavin 12/03, Rhys 09/06, and Ian Aug 11, 2010.

#87 of 144 Old 02-22-2010, 08:36 PM

I always go to one specific Winn Dixie store for WIC things because they are great about WIC. We talked with the store manager about them adding in soy milk on the checks, but it had to be 8th Continent which they didn't carry. The next time we were in the store they had 8th Continent soy milk in stock! They also did an awesome job getting all the new WIC items labeled and well stocked. All the cashiers are well trained in doing the WIC transactions and seem to have had some training in just being decent humans and not fussing about the items or if there is a problem with the items. I dearly wish we could afford to purchase most of our groceries there, but for most things unless they are doing a buy one get one special it is just too expensive.

Kristina mom to A 1/12 J 11/05 D 4/08 and tiny dude in late April 2010
#88 of 144 Old 02-22-2010, 10:02 PM

Whats everyone having for dinner? I'm out of ideas, got boiled chicken breasts in the fridge but can't think of what to do with them. Got 1 kid who won't touch chicken taco's so thats out and I can't fry to save my life so taquitoes are out, plus we don't have stuff to make salsa or guac.

Seriously?
#89 of 144 Old 02-22-2010, 10:04 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Well, the tax refund is all gone. BOO. On the plus side we got the car fixed, we got a few needed essentials, and we are all caught up on bills. The down side is that we didn't get to save any of it, which makes me kinda ticked at myself. Oh well.

I've spoken to dh and I think he's FINALLY on board about saving money. For now we only have cash and a couple dollars saved, but we are planning on trying for a couple hundred a month. That's pretty good since we're low income. Ontop of that we aren't touching the change other than using it for holidays and emergencies so that will help the savings grow. Now to just hope dh is sticking with it. I'll have to make sure he took the saved money out of his pocket when he gets home, because otherwise by the end of the week it will be spent on vending machines.

I'm also on his ass about the few major debts we need squared away. I THINK he's taking it more seriously though.

I cannot complain too much. He's a good worker, and all our bills are constantly paid on time. We're not going into any more debt either which is good. It's just that I know we can do even better, and I want us to strive for more stability and financial security.

On another good note, we good food stamps today and have a full pantry/freezer to begin with thanks to taxes. So now we can really stockpile.
#90 of 144 Old 02-23-2010, 01:53 AM

I'm going to start using the food banks here. I've never used them in Quebec before even though I could have. I'm also going to apply for a program called OLO that will provide me with eggs,milk and orange juice. I'm guessing they give me coupons like they do for WIC. I'm also going to try and make big batches of thick soup or chili or something chalk full of goodness that's going to be easy to heat up when I don't feel like cooking or when I need to eat NOW before I start to feel the nausea. My MAC is almost paid off,so that's good. The money I was putting on that each month ($150) can now go toward my other debt. *sigh* I'm really hoping to be debt free and up to date on all the bills before baby arrives. I'm not sure yet how that's going to work out. I need to sit down with the bills and pen and paper and make anew plan. Also need to do the taxes! That will help with a little extra money when they come back to me.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page