WIC in Canada: how does it work? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 7 Old 02-14-2010, 10:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've been reading about some Mama's on here and WIC. I just learned what it stands for. lol It sounds like in many places you get a check list of what you need to buy with it. How do they know what you're actually buying when you do shop?

Does anyone know who it work in Canada?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 02-15-2010, 01:03 AM

I know it's a US government program and thus would not apply in Canada. I'm sure Canada has something, but I doubt it's called the same thing.
#3 of 7 Old 02-15-2010, 01:18 AM

There is no WIC in Canada, it's a US program. In Canada, I believe each province has some kind of benefits for low-income pregnant women... here in MB, there's the Healthy Baby program where pregnant women below a certain income level receive a cheque each month that is supposed to be used for the purchase of healthy food. I'm not sure what is available in Quebec but I would imagine there would be something similar.

Mama to my 3 wild things.

#4 of 7 Old 02-15-2010, 01:26 AM - Thread Starter

Ok. Yeah I've been trying to get some info about the programs they have here in Quebec. One seems to give $55 a month while you're pregnant and nursing for up to a year if you nurse the baby. Then there is the OLO program. They provide you with an egg,a liter of milk and a glass of orange juice each day you're pregnant.
#5 of 7 Old 02-15-2010, 05:16 PM

Other than the OLO program, which I think you apply for through a CLSC or whatever they're called now, I'm not sure what else is available for pregnant women.

When the baby's born either in hospital or with a midwife, you fill out a birth registration and I think that now automatically applies you for the provincial child benefit. You'll also get a form to apply for the federal child benefit, and federal child care benefits (the $100 from Harper). It usually takes 2-3 months from application to get these things, assuming your previous years taxes are in order.

I think that you get more b.s. as a parent of a child under 5, but I'm not sure about pregnancy or how to ask for it.
#6 of 7 Old 02-15-2010, 05:29 PM

Yea, WIC isn't available in Canada.

The way they make sure of it here is they give you 'checks' that literally list the amounts of food items (like 2 gallons milk, dozen eggs, etc). From what I've heard, you HAVE to get everything on the list (in the approved amounts) or you forfeit the items you didn't get. So say you didn't find any cereal in the 'approved' sizes and checked out anyways, you'd lose out on that amount of cereal--no carryovers.

Ami

Wife to dh, Mommy to my heavenly angel, J (06), and my earthly angels, S (07) and E (10)

#7 of 7 Old 02-15-2010, 06:08 PM - Thread Starter

The nurse set me up to meet with the CLSC to apply for OLO on the 24th and I think wellie will give an extra food allowance as well,but in the form of extra money so I can spend it as I wish at the grocery store. I think it might be hard for me to do the check list thing especially if they are strict and I've been reading some of what the mama's who get WIC must buy and I think "wow I'd have no use for that at all".

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page