Decorating on the cheap - photo edition - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 02-17-2010, 04:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I hope this is the appropriate place.

I'm trying very hard not to spend money unnecessarily. I'd like to hang photos in my house and don't want to pay out the nose for frames. Can anyone recommend an interesting and inexpensive alternative?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 02-17-2010, 05:14 PM

Hi, I've scored some great deals at garage sale and even thrift stores. I recently got a brand new Cost Plus frame for $1 at a garage sale. It can take some time and is hit or miss. Also, I;ve seen some really neat frames made from old wood windows, but I've never tried it myself

Happily married, Waldorf-inspired homeschooler to Kylan (8yo), Everest (6yo), and Bodhi (2yo)
#3 of 10 Old 02-17-2010, 10:08 PM

I'm starting to use wide chunks of ribbon and do a variation on what I do for holiday cards and clothes-pin the pictures to the ribbon.

Its way cheaper than photo frames and allows me to change up the pictures as I want as often as I want.

treehugger.gifAnd you who seek to know Me, know that the seeking and yearning will avail you not, unless you know the Mystery: for if that which you seek, you find not within yourself, you will never find it without.treehugger.gif

#4 of 10 Old 02-17-2010, 11:01 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
A really nice idea that I have used personally, is to purchase a variety of differently-sized and different textured frames at thrift stores, garage sales and so on. Then, lay them on newspaper outside, prime and spray paint the same color. Then create a grouping on the wall. This way you get the visual interest with balancing continuity.

Christ-centered loving wife & mama to 2 unschooled miracles! One & one . We live simply and mindfully. Expecting another blessing Feb 2015 Praying for another
#5 of 10 Old 02-18-2010, 01:30 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
I've noticed dollar stores often have a variety of photo frames. You can always paint them one coordinating color.
#6 of 10 Old 02-18-2010, 09:09 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Ditto on the thrift store//yard sale/dollar store frames. Wanted to add, though, that since most sizes of frames are pretty standard, don't be afraid to "mix and match" the frames and mats. And if you have a nice frame but the glass is broken, you can probably get another frame the same size at the dollar store and just switch the glass.
#7 of 10 Old 02-18-2010, 02:04 PM

Do you have a Michael's close to you? If so, they sometimes put out coupons that are specific to frames that will allow you to use the coupon combined with sales. I paid a few dollars each for some really nice frames around Christmas time. I even got a beautiful, large collage frame for $10.
#8 of 10 Old 02-18-2010, 02:16 PM

Ikea has great frames pertty cheap, if you are lucky enough to be near one. I'm not sure if they will ship them.

Giving Love serves as a wonderful reminder that we already have an abundance of Love within, "it is in giving that we receive."
#9 of 10 Old 02-18-2010, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumble Bumbles View Post
A really nice idea that I have used personally, is to purchase a variety of differently-sized and different textured frames at thrift stores, garage sales and so on. Then, lay them on newspaper outside, prime and spray paint the same color. Then create a grouping on the wall. This way you get the visual interest with balancing continuity.
I did this with all of my old existing picture frames which had been every color, size and design under the sun. Now they are all flat black & it looks very cool.

treehugger.gifAnd you who seek to know Me, know that the seeking and yearning will avail you not, unless you know the Mystery: for if that which you seek, you find not within yourself, you will never find it without.treehugger.gif

#10 of 10 Old 02-18-2010, 06:01 PM

I love to have pics of our family on the wall but also dont like to spend lots of money on frames. these are some of things I have done:

1. check local thrift stores for frames even without glass (I replace with glass from dollar store frames)

2. the dollar store has quite a few wood frames. A little paint and voila!

3. think "out of the frame" for well frames. another poster mentioned hanging assort string/ribbon and then using some really nice clips to hang the pictures from. I use these scrapbooking metal embellishments that look like swirls to attach. I bought some nice silver looking knobs spaced apart and attached to wall and then strung some string we had and hung photos from them. I have also use one of those hanging hats/coat type things that has several hooks/knobs and then made copies of several photos attached to 5x7 cardstock and made a nice hanging bow with pretty silver ribbon and hung from the knobs at various lengths.

5. I made some frames out of wood sticks/twigs that we collected from a foresty aread. I used glass I purchased in some 5x7 cheap dollar store frames. DH was able to use finishing nails and gorilla/wood glue to make a square "frame" from the twigs slightly smaller than a cardstock mat. I then xeroxed several black and white pics and attached centered on to the cardstock and then glued down the frame around the pic. We used a hemp twine to make hanging bows for them. Very 'earthy" and totally go with the room i used them in.

6. I have made a padded large board that I can easily change out photos. the kind that has several ribbons running criss cross where you can tuck photos under the ribbon. I used old plywood DH had, used some batting to cover it and stapled it down. I used coordinating fabric and then stapled that down (staple on backside) then I used a ruler and used 1/2 inch ribbon and ran stapled that down. I used upholstery tacks to secure the ribbon up front (I spray painted mine to match fabric as all I could find were silver or gold)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page