Just curious...(foodstamps) - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 02-17-2010, 10:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
for those of you that get food stamps. how many are in your family and how much do you get??? and if you where on them while pregnant did you get them for 2 or just yourself??

well just got my card and it looks like ill be getting 430 ish a month. for just me. i got almost 600. but i have no income at all and live in ak very hcol
#2 of 19 Old 02-17-2010, 10:05 PM

for the 4 of us we got $668.
#3 of 19 Old 02-17-2010, 10:43 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
we are one adult and 3 kids and we get $403. when I was pregnant with the youngest, we did not get that amt. We got less. They only count the already born unfortunately but as soon as the baby was born we got the full amt for the 4th in our family even though she wasn't eating food. your total amt does depend on where you live and the bills you have(they only allot you a certain amt for each bill depending on your area and the general cost of necessities like shelter and utilities). check this out:

http://www.fns.usda.gov/FSP/applican...ligibility.htm

good luck. the application is a ridiculous invasive 30page affair but it's a life-saver for those of us who wouldn't eat without snap benefits.

treehugger.gifjog.gifgreenthumb.gifknit.gifnamaste.gif

#4 of 19 Old 02-17-2010, 11:55 PM

We get $600+ each month for five of us. I forget the exact amount, but it's way more than we spend on food so we will be stocking up on non perishables for times when we won't be on the program. Our application wasn't that long - maybe five pages and a lot of that was space for answers. Not a whole lot of invasive questions but I'm guessing the application process varies by state. DH went in with his paystubs, birth certs, etc and was done in about an hour. Due to his income, we qualified for an expedited card and we had it a week later.

I recently changed my username, but I still say "Hello" to all those who know me in real life! Hi P, S, T and K!
#5 of 19 Old 02-18-2010, 02:55 AM

We've received them in two States, 2 adults and 2 kids and we have never received more than $200....despite our WalMart-type poverty level income.
#6 of 19 Old 02-18-2010, 11:48 AM

It's not only the number of people in the family, but income amount as well.

We are a family of 5 and were receiving nearly $700 a month. But my husband has a part time job and they re-evaluated us. FS are being reduced $200 a month for us starting in March.

Anne, Mama to Conner 2/27/04 blahblah.gif  Gabrielle 2/6/06 W/LMC-TCS, Neurogenic Bladder, AFO & KAFO wearer, Neurogenic Bowel energy.gif & Delaney 5/12/08 mischievous.gif &  Beethoven cat.gif& Gizmo cat.gif

#7 of 19 Old 02-18-2010, 11:48 AM

Right now we're a family of 4 getting $432. We've also gotten $668 and $357. It depends on your income too. There is a very elaborate formula they use to figure out how much you will get. And no extra for pregnant women i nNH - only after the baby is born. I think the application was only 1 page - maybe 2 for us.

treehugger.gif mama to flower.gif and stillheart.gif and baby.gif

femalesling.GIF  bfinfant.gif  familybed1.gif

#8 of 19 Old 02-18-2010, 12:27 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
How much you get depends on both income and family size, were a family of 3 with no countable income and get $500mo in FS.

Seriously?
#9 of 19 Old 02-18-2010, 03:52 PM

There are 4 of us and we get 668. I am pregnant and yup baby doesn't count because as it was said to us...it isn't real yet nor eating. Well it FEELS like she is eating

This is our last month because dh got a new job January 1st and our income pushes us just over the income limit for our family of 4. So I am trying to spend out close to 700 and get it stockpiled quickly!

Proud Momma of 2 boys R(6) L(4) & finally a GIRL (5/29/10)
..Fused & Fabulous!
#10 of 19 Old 02-18-2010, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommabean View Post
There are 4 of us and we get 668. I am pregnant and yup baby doesn't count because as it was said to us...it isn't real yet nor eating. Well it FEELS like she is eating

This is our last month because dh got a new job January 1st and our income pushes us just over the income limit for our family of 4. So I am trying to spend out close to 700 and get it stockpiled quickly!
You should still have it there next month. Any excess should roll over. I think they give you a couple of months to spend it or lose it.

Anne, Mama to Conner 2/27/04 blahblah.gif  Gabrielle 2/6/06 W/LMC-TCS, Neurogenic Bladder, AFO & KAFO wearer, Neurogenic Bowel energy.gif & Delaney 5/12/08 mischievous.gif &  Beethoven cat.gif& Gizmo cat.gif

#11 of 19 Old 02-18-2010, 11:52 PM

For 1 pregnant woman and 2 kids I got $369 and after the birth bumped to $398.

You have, at least in my state, a year to spend any amount on your card. Not sure if that's based on the date it was deposited or the last use date or what.

Give more**Expect Less
There is no such thing as bad weather. Only bad clothing.
#12 of 19 Old 02-19-2010, 05:35 AM

Yes, you get a year to spend it in my state, too.

We've gotten varying amounts, depending on our income. It's been from $450-$850. There are 6 of us.

Proud Catholic, homeschooling, RN-student mama of
DS 10 reading.gif  DS 8 fencing.gif DS 5, DD 3 energy.gif and a new DS  belly.gif 3/2011
#13 of 19 Old 02-19-2010, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatWrangler View Post
You should still have it there next month. Any excess should roll over. I think they give you a couple of months to spend it or lose it.
I'm in CA but I specifically asked about this & was told that once it is on the card it is yours, they can't take it off or reduce your benefits because you aren't spending it all. So we have been spending frugally & trying to keep an extra balance running.

We are a family of 4 & get about $400. I am also pregnant & did not get an increase. I guess that will happen when baby showes up.

Cheryl, wife to an amazing man, homeschooling SAHM to Gavin 12/03, Rhys 09/06, and Ian Aug 11, 2010.

#14 of 19 Old 02-19-2010, 10:46 AM

I don't remember how long we have to spend it, but I do remember reading that we had to use the card at least once a year. I assume that means that they don't expire, but we are also shopping frugally and keeping a balance for times when we are able to stock up and for the time when we don't have food stamps anymore. I do know that ours carry over for some period of time, though. They don't have to be spent all in one month or before the time when we don't qualify anymore.

I recently changed my username, but I still say "Hello" to all those who know me in real life! Hi P, S, T and K!
#15 of 19 Old 02-19-2010, 10:54 AM

We are a family of 5 and we just got an increase (because I lost my job ) so now I get $758. I am desperately looking for work but Eric (babydaddy) is now working (finally) so he gives me money every week.
My DD1 will be turning 18 in Sept, but she will be going to school so I can keep her on my FS (for now)

mama to dd1 17yo, ds1 16yo, ds2 13 yo, and dd2 6yo
#16 of 19 Old 02-19-2010, 11:36 PM

I am a single mom with 3 kids here and getting $240 a month plus WIC. But that's with me working part time.
#17 of 19 Old 02-20-2010, 03:04 PM

Currently we get $298 for a family of 4 with DH's UI benefits. Before the birth of our son we got $138, I was pretty amazed at the increase. This totally feeds us, and more. I shop with coupons and sales so I really stretch these dollars.

Me Wife to T (14 years)Mama to Princess(4) and Monster Boy(my 1 year old ):
#18 of 19 Old 02-20-2010, 04:13 PM

When i got FS there were 3 of us with income less than $1600 a month and we received the maximum which was $398 at the time. Later when we were a family of 4 making $2000 we got $130 a month. It really just depends on your family size and income.

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

#19 of 19 Old 02-22-2010, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smocked View Post
for the 4 of us we got $668.
same 2 adults 2 kids

Erin Mama to thing 1 and 2 WAH with CELIAC?! Living and Learning

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page