What can I do? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 36 Old 02-23-2010, 03:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Oh Mama! I'm sorry to hear about this, I can imagine it must feel insurmountable. BUT, you have a number now, you know exactly what the situation is. Now you can do something about it!!

There are lots of great ideas and inspiration here on the Frugality board. Plus, you always have a place to turn for support and new ideas along your journey of getting rid of this debt. I agree with the previous poster who said that you will feel such a sense of accomplishment when you have this paid off. You will grow in ways you would never imagine. Plus, you'll never be in this position again!! It can only get better from here!!

Let us know how you've decided to tackle this debt! We'd love to support you.

You can do this!!

Mama to Ainsley (7/01) , Finley (10/06) and Jade (10/06)

#32 of 36 Old 02-27-2010, 04:17 AM - Thread Starter

thanks to all the replies....

i had to take a few days to wrap my head around this debt. and a week of sick kids. my dh and i had a long talk about our situation and had to make a plan. it was mostly me having to really get my head out of my ass and see our debt for what it is. i always thought we would just put it on the card and worry about it later. we bought our house in 02 and was planning to sell and use what we made on the house to pay off our debt. i was living in the moment and not seeing the big picture. this was all accrued in about 5yrs. it was never getting my hair done or buying new clothes, it was things like fencing in our yard or having to get the brakes done on the truck and instead of saving up the 800 we would just charge it.
so now here we are. with a 3yr old and a 6 mos old. 47k in cc debt. i am just so disgusted with myself. i could do better for my girls if we didn't owe so much.
so here is what we are going to do....
i called all of our cards and got the rated lowered. now they range from 0-8%and no more spending!!! we are going to save until we pay our mortgage at the 1st of each month and then start on our cc debt. starting march 1st we are going to record all spending each night and then we can see where our money is going.
i guess its a start...
#33 of 36 Old 02-27-2010, 10:17 AM

That is a great start!

If you want to post your budget here, the women on this board have really creative ideas about ways to trim expenses.

Happy wife to DH superhero.gifand mama to DS signcirc1.gif11/05 and DD energy.gif8/07.
#34 of 36 Old 02-27-2010, 03:56 PM
mtm

you sound like you have good plan. come to the DR thread if you need any budget help.
#35 of 36 Old 02-27-2010, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samanthasmom View Post
thanks to all the replies....

i had to take a few days to wrap my head around this debt. and a week of sick kids. my dh and i had a long talk about our situation and had to make a plan. it was mostly me having to really get my head out of my ass and see our debt for what it is. i always thought we would just put it on the card and worry about it later. we bought our house in 02 and was planning to sell and use what we made on the house to pay off our debt. i was living in the moment and not seeing the big picture. this was all accrued in about 5yrs. it was never getting my hair done or buying new clothes, it was things like fencing in our yard or having to get the brakes done on the truck and instead of saving up the 800 we would just charge it.
so now here we are. with a 3yr old and a 6 mos old. 47k in cc debt. i am just so disgusted with myself. i could do better for my girls if we didn't owe so much.
so here is what we are going to do....
i called all of our cards and got the rated lowered. now they range from 0-8%and no more spending!!! we are going to save until we pay our mortgage at the 1st of each month and then start on our cc debt. starting march 1st we are going to record all spending each night and then we can see where our money is going.
i guess its a start...
Great update and it is a great start!! Feel free to post in the "Getting out of debt" thread - while a lot of people there follow Dave Ramsey's plan (http://www.daveramsey.com) - not everyone does. The main benefit of that thread, in my opinion, is to help us all remain accountable to the process.
#36 of 36 Old 02-27-2010, 05:44 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
You can get the rate lowered on a credit card?
What do you say, who do you talk to?

Congrats for taking the first steps!

Decluttering 500/2010

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page